Start by marking “Motivation and Personality” as Want to Read:
Motivation and Personality

Motivation and Personality

A statement on self-actualisation and data. Applications are made to the theories and science of personality, psychotherapy, personal growth and general psychology.
Paperback, Third Edition, 336 pages
Published January 17th 1997 by Pearson (first published 1954)

Start your review of Motivation and Personality
Teri Temme
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow - incredible book. I am once again amazed I missed this book the first time I was introduced to Maslow oh so long ago. Maybe it wasn't time yet. Every chapter had a great insight into society and the ways in which we view each other and ourselves. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking answers to "Why do people do that?".

Here's a sampling:

The exclusive study of our failures and breakdowns will hardly breed inspiration, hopefulness, and optimistic ambitions in either the layman or the
Jonathan Karmel
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs intuitively strikes me as being a useful model of psychological development. Less obvious is what exactly is meant by the top of the pyramid: self-actualization. I didn’t have the patience or focus to read this entire book, which seemed vague and meandering at times to me. But I was very interested in the chapter titled, “Self-Actualizing People: A Study of Psychological Health.”

In the first chapter, “A ‘Psychological’ Approach to Science,” Maslow argues that scienti
Joanna
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books. Maslow basically explains in detail the characteristics of an emotionally healthy person. A good benchmark and inspiring.
May Ling
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Now that is a freakin 5 star book.

Really profound. If published in today's world of social media, he'd be there with Freakanomics or Blink. I get why his thoughts are still referred to even today!!

Dude is controversial, often totally mis-attributed, misunderstood and more, despite that he's referenced a lot. So many people say the hierarchy is untrue without having a clue as to what he was on about. Yet, if you read this, it's like wow... ok.... interesting way to frame stuff....

For examples, ha
Ilya Mrz
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
“What one *can* be, one *must* be!”

“They have become strong
enough to be independent
of the good opinion of
other people, or even
of their affection. The
honors, the status, the
rewards, the popularity,
the prestige, and the love
they can bestow must
have become less important
than self-development and
inner growth.”
~ Abraham Maslow

“Self-actualizing individuals have a genuine desire to help the human race.”
~ Abraham Maslow

=========================
1. Perception of Reality: These individuals tend to have a “
Kristo
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book! If Maslow's hierarchy of needs sympathized you, then I'm quite sure this book has many ideas and new perspectives to give. A must read for the ones interested in psychology and motivation in my opinion.
Brian Johnson
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
“What human beings can be, they must be.”

“They have become strong enough to be independent of the good opinion of other people, or even of their affection. The honors, the status, the rewards, the popularity, the prestige, and the love they can bestow must have become less important than self-development and inner growth.”

~ Abraham Maslow from Motivation and Personality

Abraham Maslow. The guy’s a rock star.

A 20th century humanistic psychologist to whom we owe thanks for the advent of the moder
Caroline
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this incredibly meaningful, and optimistic about humanity and human potential. Also practical in a certain sense, in the way expansive and abstract issues can be managed in the context of mundane, quotidian life.
Ron Davison
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Maslow was such a full human being and in this book he reveals a great deal about how to experience life fully. A beautiful man and a beautiful book.
Lauren
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've always been familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs, but found it to be very abstract and oversimplified, but now appreciate the ideas after reading this book.

Our basic needs need to be met for a sense of security and love. When these two basic needs were not met, Maslow believes it leads to many pathological and neurotic symptoms seen in adults, symptoms that can only be cured through professional psychotherapy. Not sure if he paid enough credit to biological temperament, or if he relie
Carme
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-need-time, b_lead
This is an awesome book.
I have just read a few pages but every page I read it made perfect sense.
I don't have time now to read it but definitely will come back to read every single page.
I feel like this is one of a kind book where pretty much it explains so much about its subject and other books are just its expanded versions.
Roman Tsegelskyi
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awesome book. Especially liked the chapters about self actualization and love
Michael Kraitsberg
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
tl;dr Good news - healthy people are good and benevolent by nature, bad news - almost everybody around is sick.
Got to read more about self-actualization.

Will Moritz
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
p.130: "Since for healthy people, the unknown is not frightening, they do not have to spend any lime laying the ghost, whistling past the cemetery, or otherwise protecting themselves against imagined dangers. They do not neglect the unknown, or deny it, or run away from it, or try to make believe it is really known, nor do they organize, dichotomize, or rubricize it prematurely. They can be, when the total objective situation calls for it, comfortably disorderly, sloppily, anarchic, chaotic, vag ...more
Eve H
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*THIS BOOK HAS BEEN PLACED ON MY TOP SHELF*

This book changed my life.

If there's a path to fixing some of the world's most pressing issues, I think it'll require a common language. Self-actualization is that common language; it's our north star. Maslow tells us what it looks like, and our challenge is to connect the dots between where we are now, and a society where we're all on top of that hierarchy of needs. Ironically, I would argue that anarchism (questioning and dismantling unnecessary power
Shaun Marais
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
If you have studied Maslow in school or university then there is not that much new information to be gained from this book.

However, chapter 15 on psychotherapy, health and motivation is really insightful and inspiring. In this chapter Maslow talks about the varying ability to heal - how it differs from one person to another and how psychologists who qualified in the 20s and 30s had very little knowledge and experience to do their work compared to today where IQ is a required aspect of qualifying
The Mews Beauty
Oh my, this book became my second bible. I wanted to just take it all in and digest ever word.
What a life-changer. The author' insights were off the charts, everything I read was like, yes, yes, I get it.
True to the title, I was so motivated every day. I read it at the gym every day while on the stair master.
I found myself repeating what he said to anyone I talked to. It truly helped me to the next level in my lif
Siddharth Singh
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is not too technical, nor clichéd. And neither as dark as Freud's take on psychology.
What struck a chord, deeply was, perhaps, that instead of using abstract, meta-sounding words and arguments, psychology is presented as real, meaningful science.
And off course, a detailed description and analysis of the eminent "hierarchy of needs" that Maslow presented! :'D
Gavin Lakin
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-psych-related
I was very motivated to read this in college!
A Haiku Review
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Before you can love
You need to eat, sleep, breathe
First things first, my friend
Shaikha Alshimmari
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
it talks about different theories of motivation.
self actualization people
how environment affects motivation
he talks about himself and how he was different from other kids
Aditya
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well
Veliko Donchev
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although written a while ago, it reminds me of modern self-help books but writtenen in a rigorous and scientific way. Great read!
Igor
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Very simple, but often forgotten thought that people need some conditions to flourish.
Devansh
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book
For more motivation
Visit -- https://thechampions2411.blogspot.com...
Ella
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Reading Maslow was a strange experience, with it being a free flow at time yet oddly incomprehensible at others. I have no doubt of the fineness of his mind, but the writing style can be effort-demanding for me.
Chris
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite, psychology
One of the best books I've ever read. Quick summary in relation to health in general.

Maslow asserts that we have a fundamental need to 'self-actualise'. To strive towards and reach our fullest human potential.

"A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be, he must be. He must be true to his own nature. This need we may call self-actualization"

If this need is not satisfied, it results in pathology. We see i
wally
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: maslow
Theory that is relatively easy to understand. Everyone understands "basic needs" right? As I recall, I read this in conjunction w/Karen Horney's Neeurosis and Human Growth, the two somewhat complement each other, and as I recall, Horney goes more so, into the kind of things that happen, say in Measure for Measure...Duke Vincentio...who has presumably settled his "basic needs" as Maslow lays them out--

--this is sketchy, memory, and all...been a few years...but by basic, I recall really basic, tri
Yaaresse
Standard "I read this, but damned if I can remember exactly when or why or enough about it to make detail comments" disclaimer:
My rating is based solely on my memory of how much or little I enjoyed the book at that time. In some cases, "at that time" might mean before most Goodreads users were born. Then again, it could mean a couple years ago and that I have a lousy memory.

Your mileage may vary. Heck, given how all our tastes change over the years and the fickle nature of memory, my own milea
John
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Rated: C+

This book is one of his classics. Not a primer for beginners but an advanced work for his colleagues. Good to ready directly about his understanding of the hierarchy of needs and self-actualization. This work was published in the 1950’s and it is amazing to look back and see just how far psychology had come by then as well as how far it has progressed since then.
Learn An Effective Marketing Strategy For Your Motivational Speaker Services Business 1 1 Apr 19, 2019 04:41AM
motivationscoaching 1 4 Jun 27, 2013 01:40PM

• Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis
  • The Ego and the Id
  • Suicide: A Study in Sociology
  • Gestalt Therapy Verbatim
In 1908, Abraham H. Maslow was born, the first of seven children, to immigrant Russian Jewish parents, in New York City. He received his BA in 1930, his MA in 1931 and his Ph.D in 1934, all in psychology, from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Maslow taught full time at Brooklyn College, then at Brandeis, where he was named Chair of Psychology in 1951. Maslow, a humanist-based psychologist, is ...more

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...
“Het is niet normaal om te weten wat we willen. Dat is een enorme en uitzonderlijke psychologische prestatie.” 6 likes