Start by marking “The Unquiet” as Want to Read:
The Unquiet

The Unquiet

When Rinn Jacobs moves to a new town she hopes it will be a fresh start-a place where nobody knows about her past. At first, everything goes according to plan. She falls in with the popular girls at her new school and falls for the very cute boy-next-door Nate. But River Hills High School has a secret. The ghost of a girl who died back when Rinn's mom was a student suppose ...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about The Unquiet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unquiet

Blythe
DNF

You know, for a "ghost" story, this has a pretty massive lack of ghosts in it. I made it up to 41% in The Unquiet, and I had absolutely no interest in reading any more of it. Basically, it's just a high-school drama. That's it. There's barely anything paranormal, other than the fact that there's a "haunted" tunnel in the school. I thought The Unquiet was really boring, and not only was it boring, but the characters were cliche and I just really didn't like any of them.

Every single character
M
Have you ever read a book that was a complete and utter train wreck, but for whatever reason, you would feel bad if you stopped reading it? The Unquiet was one of those books for me. I had a hard time committing myself to finishing the book, and mostly it was because it was a NetGalley, and I’d feel bad if I didn’t review it in the end.

The Unquiet is another book that grossly sensationalizes mental illness, turning it into the butt of numerous jokes throughout the story. Rinn is a boring, bland
Miriam
Oct 16, 2018 added it
Shelves: ghosts, ya, unfinished
DNF on page 170.

This isn't terrible, but it seems to be primarily about the main character and her friendship with Mean Girls at her new hick school, with the haunted swimming pool as something to add otherwise-nonexistent tension.

Also her bipolarity, although mentioned a lot, so far doesn't seem to be any more pronounced than normal teen moodiness, so I wouldn't recommend this for readers looking for books relating to mental health.
Brittany Rehage
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I do not scare easily. I can watch horror movies, ghost movies, ghost hunt shows...you name it and I don't get scared. Reading The Unquiet had me scared. I jumped when the wind would come up, I jumped when a tree branch would hit the window and I jumped when I heard anything that sounded like footsteps outside my door.

The Unquiet is scary in a subtle way. It's not an in your face ghost story, it's more like a psychological thriller, and for a while, I wasn't even sure if it was really a ghost st
Lauren
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Garsee's newest novel, a truly unsettling ghost story, also features a complex and compelling protagonist: Rinn finally has control of her Bipolar disorder with the help of medication, but she's haunted by the things she did while in the grip of manic phases. Fans of horror movies will love this spooky thriller with an M. Night Shyamulan (circa "Unbreakable") worthy ending - the perfect book to read under the covers!
Devyani
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scary
rating-> 3.5

“Can Aa-a-ana-liese come out and play?”

I'm usually a fast reader , so to take a week to finish this book is a shocker for me . Now as you may notice , I have given this book a rating of 3.5 which in my opinion is pretty huge . When I had read the synopsis of this book , I was hooked onto it ever since . Haunting ? Spooky ghosts ? A haunted corridor ? A ghost named Annaliese ? Also a bipolar protag ? Now who wouldn't want a piece of that .

Rinn Jacobs , a sixteen year old girl wh
Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love a really great ghost story. I’m a fan of those where the author is not afraid to kill off a couple of characters and The Unquiet definitely surpassed my expectations. It was more of a thriller than a ghost story as we don’t really see a ghost in the story through most of it but crazy things begin to happen from the start after Rinn moves into town. It’s definitely not one you should be reading at night before going to sleep, I started thinking I could hear creaking noises and seeing shado ...more
Lacey
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
First Thoughts:

At first I didn’t know what to make of this book, I kind of felt distant from the story at first; it almost felt like a fluff book and I kind of have to be in a mood to read one of those books. And the characters! Oh My! It took some serious adjusting before this story really took off. But once you get past the point of fluffiness the book really picked up and I became intrigued with the story and the spookiness of it all. This was a fast and fun read; there was plenty of action a
Kah Cherub
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read complete review here: http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2...

Corinne Jacobs has been a good girl, taking all of her meds everyday, for 3 months and 13 days. Why she's being so careful and counting all the days like that? Because of what happened 3 months and 13 days ago. The time when she decided to stop with her bipolar meds and ended up killing her grandmother.

Now her stepfather hates her and her mother has dragged her from sunny California to chilling middle-of-nowhere Ohio, where she g
Darkfallen
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was simply amazing in the most chilling and twisted way!

Rinn is finally starting to put her life back together after discovering that she is bipolar. Thankfully now that she is on the proper medication things are starting to be more normal. Although overcoming everything that happened before she started taking the meds isn't as easy as she would have hoped. So her and her mother pack up and leave California for the small Ohio town her mother grew up in. While trying to start over Rinn
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Unquiet was just what I was hoping it would be. It was twisted and creepy and also touched on the psychological aspects that really draw me into novels. Rinn is a very interesting character, she's very complex and I felt like her character was very strongly developed. Rinn is bipolar and blames herself for her grandmothers untimely death.

Rinn and her mother move to the town where her mother grew up and Rinn attends the same High School her mom attended. Lies, murder, and deception all lay d
Jessica Lopez
I can honestly say that I did not like the book that much for the first 50 pages. I found Rinn annoying (but then again, I tend to dislike any character as soon as they say "Ohmigosh") and I couldn't stand the friends that she was putting up with. However, I really liked the plot that was being set up so I stuck it through. I also realized that Rinn was in a bit of a delicate and desperate situation and honestly, I would have done the same thing. As the book progressed, I became more immersed in ...more
Nafiza
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
If you are looking for a really creepy novel where ghosts are not the benign Caspers that populate kiddie cartoons, The Unquiet is for you. It’s supernatural elements are truly frightening and the atmosphere evoked does a lot to create a sense of fear and hesitation as the narrative hinges upon the unknown. What I mean is, you don’t know where the narrative will go next. The Unquiet contains one of the most malevolent ghosts ever. The ghost as a backstory but that does not in any way give the gh ...more
Heather
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult
This book disturbed me, in the best possible way. Rinn is hoping to leave her past behind, and start fresh as the new girl in her mom’s hometown. She’s got a love interest in the cute neighbor boy, Nate, and a friend of the family means she’s got an in with the in-crowd at school. Things seem to be going well until she learns the shocking history of their rented house, and becomes involved with the secretive past of the old school pool.

This was such a page turner, and at times I couldn’t figure
Aleah
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was very shocked at the ending! It was very different and it really gave me some chills!

Characters: Rinn Jacobs is the main character and let me say, this girl is awesome! I would love to be friends with this girl! She is so sarcastic, stubborn, and just a strong person in general. She has bipolar disorder, and her sickness led to some events which leads to her moving to Ohio. Her character development was on point. Nate is awesome too.

Story: I really like the story. It is very different from
Kelli
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5
Upon finishing this book last night, I was left scratching my head. For I'm not really sure if there was a ghost or if it was a story of a girl spiraling into madness. I guess you'll have to decide for yourself. Aside from that, it's a fairly quick read. The story moves along at a swift pace. Though kinda gets a tad wonky towards the end and happened rather quickly to boot. Bam! THE END.

The Unquiet definitely has a Girl Interrupted vibe if the characters had been checked out of treatment, ad
Abbie
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
The Unquiet was a good read, but the main character annoyed me at points.

Rinn did come out with some funny lines, and did try her best to work out what was happening, but sometimes, her best efforts weren't that great.
She was just really slow on the uptake. It took her ages to figure out things that were quite obvious.
She could also be really stupid when it came to her medication.

Some of the other characters annoyed me slightly too.

Apart from that, i did enjoy the story.
The "creepy" goings on
Chelsea
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts-spirits
The Unquiet captured my attention from the first page. I love ghost stories, and horror stories, and this one was one of the best that I have read. This book was a quick read with an interesting plot.

I really liked getting to know Rinn as a character, and how she grows throughout the story. I also really enjoyed Nate as a romantic interest.

I highly recommend this book!
Brian Kell
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced creepy ghost story, very original. I loved it!
Danya
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Characters:

Rinn: For the most part I really liked Rinn. She's a complex character with deep-seated guilt pushed down inside her (some of which she's aware of, like feeling guilty about her grandmother's death). It seems to have come to the point where she doesn't trust herself, and yet she lashes out at other people for not trusting her. She's also got a snarky attitude and a bit of a chip on her shoulder, but she's quite frank and open about who she is.

Nate: Nate's a considerate, good-natured,
Marcela Henriques
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
First of all, my Portuguese version of the book was crap. The translation was really bad, lots of grammar mistakes and filled with typos in every single page. The language was bad, also. I can't say it wasn't fun to read, kept me interested and very curious. But it lacks a lot of important stuff. I thought Corrine was not developed very well and she lacked personality a lot of times, leaving the reader with an empty girl. I've finished the book and I feel like I don't know her, even though it's ...more
Olga Gamer
Have you ever been reading a 📚& suddenly get tripped on a minor detail and that’s all you think about for the rest of the reading? That was me when I read that there’s a Barney’s in this middle of nowhere small town. Though I read about 150 pages, I couldn’t recover from that or from the, in my opinion, not great writing. What was supposed to be a paranormal ghost story was really a teenage girl who kept obsessing over her medications and bipolar disorder to the degree it didn’t feel real to ...more
Ashley
3.5 stars. Engaging at times. other times it fell flat for me.
Ferdy
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Spoilers

Rinn Jacobs has struggled with bipolar disorder since she was fourteen. She's been in trouble countless times but with her medication she's stable. However, one night when Rinn doesn't take her medication, her out of control behaviour causes an accident that make her parents separate. Rinn's mother moves her to the hometown she grew up in. Rinn initially hates her new home but begins to warm to it when she makes new friends. Rinn's stability is threatened though when she finds out that h
Aeicha
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I love a good ghost story, so I had high expectations for Jeannine Garsee’s The Unquiet. Unfortunately, those expectations were not met. This book has its entertaining qualities, but overall I found it to be a disappointing read.

Sixteen year old Rinn Jacobs and her mother have just moved to her mother’s small hometown in Ohio and Rinn hopes to escape her past, which includes a lot of trouble and a suicide attempt. Rinn is also harboring two secrets: 1) she’s bipolar and 2) she killed her grandmo
Book Sp(l)ot
Last fall, Jeannine Garsee interested me in her upcoming book with one sentence: "Sixteen-year-old Rinn Jacobs has secrets: One, she’s bipolar. Two, she killed her grandmother." Pair that with The Unquiet's gorgeous cover and I'm not sure how anyone could want to pass this up.

If, somehow anyone's still unconvinced, rest assured, the content will meet, exceed and then, likely, blow your expectations.

Following the aforementioned grandmother's death, her own failed suicide attempt, and her parent's
Isamlq
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5/5

So, she’s new girl who inexplicably fits in with the popular crowd. Inexplicably, because she’s admittedly rude, short tempered and distant. So, Mr. Popularity (among others) have the hots for her. Yet, how much did I enjoy this one? Maybe a three point two five? three point five?

I like that she had no filter. I was fascinated but a bit iffy on her descriptions of her highs and lows. Her recollection of what she was and what she could do in an episode piqued my curiosity. I’m not a hundred
Original review posted on Books and Swoons

*I received this egalley from Bloomsbury USA through NetGalley*

The Unquiet's premise really piqued my interest and I couldn't wait to just pick it up and read. I enjoy stories where there are some sort of mental illness and the fact there was some paranormal in it as well, it just made me super excited when I got this book. See, I have a degree in Psychology and I work in the mental health field, so I have some background information on Bipolar disorder.
Jessirae
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The beginning of The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee had me hooked and intrigued at the get-go. I couldn’t help but want to know more about the story, about Rinn, about Nate and most importantly, Annalaise. I’ve always been interested in ghost stories and Garsee took the ghost story in The Unquiet and put her own spin and twist that really had me begging for more when I finished the book.

Rinn was one hell of a character! She was so hilarious, loud and had an attitude to match with her blunt, sarcasti
Jessica  Sinn (Books and Trouble)
Imagine the horror of walking through a dark, haunted tunnel on a daily basis just to get to gym class. That’s what 16-year-old Rinn Jacobs had to deal with when she moved from her upscale high school in sunny California to her mother’s alma mater in rural Ohio. Not only does she attend a ghost-infested high school, she sleeps in the same room where an old woman hanged herself. Creepy much!

Of course, her situation isn’t all gloom and doom. The hot farmer boy next door is at her beck and call whe
FYA Book Club of ...: November 2013 Read- The Unquiet Discussion 12 14 Nov 21, 2013 01:18PM

• Before You Go
  • The Waiting Sky
  • All These Lives
  • Counting Backwards
  • Out of Reach
  • Cold Fury (Cold Fury, #1)
  • Touched
  • Survive
  • One Moment
  • Dark Storm
  • Breaking Beautiful
  • Glimmer
Jeannine Garsee is the author of three contemporary YA novels: THE UNQUIET (2011) SAY THE WORD (2009) and BEFORE, AFTER, AND SOMEBODY IN BETWEEN (2007)(Bloomsbury USA Children's Books.) Her essay "Fearless" appears in the Harper Collins anthology DEAR BULLY: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories, edited by Megan Kelly Hall and Carrie Jones.
“Psychosis can happen out of the blue, to anyone, and no one knows why. Not even the best doctors on the planet.

And that’s why Mom is always so afraid. If we don’t know what made me sick in the first place, how can anyone guarantee I won’t flip out again?”
49 likes