Start by marking “No Safety in Numbers (No Safety in Numbers, #1)” as Want to Read:
No Safety in Numbers (No Safety in Numbers, #1)

No Safety in Numbers

(No Safety in Numbers #1)

When a strange device is discovered in the air ducts of a busy suburban mall, the entire complex is suddenly locked down. No one can leave. No one knows what is going on.

At first, there's the novelty of being stuck in a mega mall with free food and a gift certificate. But with each passing day, it becomes harder to ignore the dwindling supplies, inadequate information, and
Published May 29th 2012 by Dial Books (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about No Safety in Numbers, please sign up.
JOIE Not really. There is a love interest but other than a short kiss and the characters blabbing about how much they like the other it doesn't really go…moreNot really. There is a love interest but other than a short kiss and the characters blabbing about how much they like the other it doesn't really go anywhere.(less)
Ella It starts getting good when Lexi founds out about the bomb, in my opinion.

karen
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya

first things first. look how cool this book is when you take the dust jacket off:

and i appreciate that attention to detail, but when all is said and done, this is just another book that has a great premise, but suffers under any real common sense scrutiny applied to its plot.

this is a puppy-dumb YA book that reminds me that these books aren't written for me. i think younger readers will appreciate a book about people being quarantined in a mall after an attack by unknown enemies where a bomb sta
Morris
Aug 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I began “No Safety in Numbers” with the highest of hopes. I mean, bioterrorism and a crowded mall? What could go wrong with that, right? By about chapter five my entire reason for finishing the book was so I could write a review of it.

That’s right. I loathed a book so bad that I became obsessed with getting to the end just to be able to share my thoughts on how horrible it is. Now my moment has come. Unfortunately, the English language has not yet evolved enough to have words strong enough to de
Amber Joyce
Jun 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-for-boys
This is drivel. I am so disappointed; the premise of a bioterrorist attack on a suburban mall resulting in a lock down of all the patrons really sounded good. The writing is awful. The teen characters are vapid, and annoyingly forced ethnically diverse--- really--- an Indian girl with no friends, a white bully football player boy, a black girl whose mother is the governor, a Mexican illegal who works at the burger joint. The adults are idiots. My 9th grader and I both gave up about half way thro ...more
Alice Lee
Jun 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
This book is absolute trash; it is so comically bad I often had to pause at a particular line because I couldn't believe the words strung together by this person actually got published and printed.

Okay, I'm going to admit two things: one, it's a YA novel, and I'm an adult. In other words, this book is written for someone with much less discriminating taste; two, I had to read this for work, otherwise I would never have picked it up, what with a tagline of "they should have stayed home." Ugh.

That
Taylor Knight
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the idea of this book but overall, it just didn't do it for me. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like but I just couldn't get into the story or become invested in the characters. I'm not a big fan of multiple perspective in books, especially more than two different characters. This book had four characters with their own chapters and I wasn't into that. I never was able to focus on one character and become invested in them. There is diversity in the four main characters, Ind ...more
Angela
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Thousands of people trapped in a mall after a biotoxin is released? Sounded like a tense action/thriller/suspense story.

That's why I'm so disappointed that this novel, with such a great concept, felt like such a snooze.

I felt like the chapters were starting to repeat themselves: Marco doesn't like the jocks; Ryan likes Shay; Shay is worried about her grandma; Lexi is a shy computer whiz. Lorentz reiterates these points again and again, but the plot stagnates. So much page space is devoted to est
Lauren Whang
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This BOOK is really fun! It is like a mix of The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games, because they have to survive and something deadly is included!!! I soooo recommend this book! IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ THIS BOOK, I AM WILLING TO LEND IT TO ANYONE!
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting much from this book, but it turned out to be pretty entertaining. Sure, it was melodramatic at many parts, but I liked the characters for the most part, the book was gripping and exciting and I liked the author's writing style. The story reminded me a lot of that 2005 film Blackout, the LMN one about the mom and her kids stuck in the shopping mall with a killer while all the power goes out.
Jamie
I wish I had something positive to say about this book, but the best thing I can muster is to note the diversity of the cast of characters, and the premise was an interesting idea.

Aside from that, I unfortunately don't have anything good to say about the book. It was not an enjoyable reading experience for me at all. If I weren't reading this along with a friend for a book discussion, I would have given up, but as I did read the whole book I felt a review was justified.

The writing was not very s
Noodles
Jul 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm seeing a lot of people excusing the weakness of the book as it being aimed at young adults, and even though I can't speak for all of us, I can pretty much guarantee that this book sucks. Such an interesting premise and in a format I enjoy, multiple points of view that cross over, but the characters are just so incredibly shitty.

The digital artist Lexi, being the character I most closely relate to interest-wise, made me roll my eyes more than any character should provoke. Her whole internet g
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
***DNF at 62%***

I can't. I literally can not force myself to finish this book. 171/263 pages in and nothing. Nothing at all happens. No action. No.. anything. Want to know what this book is about? A bunch people locked in a mall. That is it. You can skip 30 pages at a time and not miss a single thing.

This whole story was just monotone. It literally put me to sleep. I have never in my life had a book that as soon as I start reading, would knock me right out.

There are a few things that really bug
Sara
Aug 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Thankfully no one, or we wouldn't be friends anymore
Things that were great about this book: The premise. I was actually really excited to read this. A book about teens stuck in a mall during a deadly outbreak? Sign me right up. I was really hoping for an exciting read that I could pass onto my students.

Things that were not great about this book: Basically everything.

The characters are "typed" yet essentially the same. They each have their little niche role: the loner, the jock, the geek, the rebel. And simultaneously, they have a lot of the same
HenryHatridge
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG. This book is very fun. It's like a hunger game in a mall and the players are the customers. They are stuck in the mall with a virus and the government hut downed the place for safety from the virus.
Sara Grochowski
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I arrived at work today to find a package of No Safety in Numbers waiting for me in my mail slot. I had never heard of it, but, inside the package, I found a face mask and a bottle of hand sanitizer, which, luckily, piqued my interest. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the cover art on the galley I was sent. Personally, I think a black background with a red title would look cleaner. The crinkled yellow background that it features now makes it look almost childish, not serious, which I feel wou ...more
Natverse
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this, and honestly, sometimes I did.

I love how the author talks about reading with such passion. I love that she mentions Tagore and some other great reads. I really love how Indian (but not) Shay is and how pressured Ryan feels; how much he contradicts his own wants for his brother's reputation.

But the stereotypes, my god, they were awful. I mean, sure there's little diversity in this small, white city (I can relate), but is everyone so predictable too?

Lexi has a big bu
Erikka
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, but there were several things wrong with it:

-the characters were too stereotypical. I work with teens every day--they don't fit that neatly into little cliquey groups. And whereas I admire her attempt at showing diversity, this was a little farfetched. I got this sense of "Captain Planet in a mall full of sick people".

-the biohazard is foggy at best. It seems like the emphasis was more on "how does the government keep information from us" and less on "there's a disea
Courtney
Dec 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is filthy. My daughter heard it was good, so I thought I'd read it real quick (it's super short) to see if it would be good for an almost 13 year old. If you want your child to start speaking like a sailor, let them read this book.

I am shocked that in my quick skim of comments that this is not a bigger deal to other parents. I am not just talking about the constant use of the f bomb, which is my cue that a writer lacks creativity, but the sexual-demeaning of girls was cringe-worthy at
Nick Saluzzi
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This action packed novel is a great read for those interested in fast paced books. It has lots of twists and turns, and unsuspected cliff hangers. These parts of the book lead to a very interesting. One moment you think the book is going one way and then it suddenly derails going into a different direction.

I can't really say much more without giving the book away. However, the format in which the chapters are is very interesting. For example, the book is sectioned off in "days" of being stuck in
Sean
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While the book isn't anything special in terms of writing and characters, the entertaining aspect of the plot is undeniable.
Jordan
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't listen to all the bad reviews!

After reading the synopsis of the back of this book, I definitely was expecting a bit more action and suspense. While this book wasn't necessarily what I expected (lots of people dying due to a bunch of armed and dangerous people taking over the mall), it was still a very good read. It had just enough mystery to keep you reading to find out what happens, and each character is worth rooting for. I finished the other two books in the series and cried in the last
Nicole
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of "Lord of the Flies" or "The Stand."
This is a review of an ARC won through a First Reads giveaway.

3.5/5 stars

It is an indisputable fact that unsupervised teenagers in a store/mall are huge pains in the butt. They rarely buy things, and when they do it's usually something that costs $5 or less. They are loud and they always make you feel like they are laughing at you because you're old and uncool. They run amok and leave things out of order and they molest and break the neck of the giant stuffed giraffe corporate sent your store fo
Alison
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
eh
it was just eh
like nobody noticed when (view spoiler)
I don't know
I didn't like it very much... I'm gonna read the others ones I think but I don't have much hope
Aaron
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick paced story that really captures the what if of a disaster. Marco, a Latrino teen from a family that is struggling economically, is one of four teens who take center stage in this novel that highlights what might happen if a biological weapon were used on a mall. While coming into work one day, he ends up being accosted by a group of typical football jocks, including Ryan (one of the other stars). As he is trying to get away, he ends up in a closet that houses some of the HVAC sy ...more
Anthony
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
So it's Hallow's eve time again, folks! So how about something scary? No, not ghosts n goblins scary. More like trapped in a mall with a deadly virus around scary. Wait, that's what this books about? Well, what perfect timing!

Basically, its a Saturday afternoon at a mall when, during an awesome chase scene, Macro, one of our main characters, finds a red blinking object of sorts. A bomb, he suspects. He pulls out his cell, and calls 911. Well because of him, lives are about to change.

Because of t
Barbara
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book. The premise was great, people trapped inside a mall, quarantined after a biological bomb goes off. Unfortunately, after that exciting idea, not much happened.

The story is told through four viewpoints. I like the way the author goes for diversity. The main characters are:

Marco - a Hispanic boy nicknamed "Taco" by his enemies (imagine being the guy who found the bomb that leaves you trapped inside an enclosed mall with other guys who hate your guts).

Shay - Shaila
Christine
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was excited for this book but, in the end, it was a letdown. It wasn't the most awful book ever but the characters weren't all that likeable the repetition in the author's writing was really annoying after a while. Lorentz kept repeating herself when describing the thoughts of the characters (we get it, Shay is worried about her grandmother, Ryan is in love with Shay, Marco is treated badly by kids at school, blah blah blah). The action is pretty repetitive until about the last 10 pages where ...more
Jamie
Jan 22, 2012 marked it as did-not-finish
I couldn't get past the first hundred pages. The storyline was promising, but unfortunately the characters and plot lacked the oomph I was looking for. There were a lot of random bits of information thrown around and way too many technical terms for ridiculously simple things that greatly interrupted the flow (and evoked several eye rolls). I happened to glance at the last page to find that this was apparently book one of a series. I can't say that I'll be looking for book two.
Dani
Man, such an intriguing premise... everyone gets trapped in the mall due to quarantine wrt unknown hazard planted in the air ducts.
But, really unrealistic and dumb handling of it. A kid there for his restaurant shift... keeps working restaurant shifts.
Nope.
And after several days, they start getting bitchy because they're running out of.... waffles?
Eyeroll.
DNF @ 63%.
Britt Buckenroth
Quarantined in a mall during a biological threat is how four teens start their Saturday. Fairly action packed, rife with all the teen *things* (bullying, crushes, popularity drama, etc), upper middle and high school readers will find his a page turner.

It was okay. Ends on a total cliff hanger - kind of annoyed and I don't want to really read the entire trilogy.
Corinna Angehrn
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I did not realize this book was part of a trilogy when I asked for it for Christmas years ago. So now, apparently, I will have to read the next two to find out how it ends.
I’ll admit I’m not a big YA reader, so the stereotypical teenagers and romance elements (which I’m assuming are laying the groundwork for a love triangle in the sequels) do not provide me with motivation to read the next two books. However, the outbreak related components- the riots, the deaths, the breakout attempts, etc. -
book review 1 1 Mar 03, 2019 07:25PM
What did you think? 8 29 May 01, 2017 06:42PM
No Safety in Numbers 1 3 Sep 15, 2015 08:07PM
Ryan or Marco 9 44 Jul 09, 2015 10:08PM
Teens AGAIN!! 16 32 May 01, 2014 02:13PM

• The Loners (Quarantine, #1)
  • The Forgetting Curve (Memento Nora, #2)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • The Fury (The Fury, #1)
  • The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll & Mademoiselle Odile
  • The Eyes of the Desert Sand (Chrysalis Chronicles #1)
  • Cordially Uninvited
  • Wanderers (Wasteland, #2)
  • Grave Secrets (Deadtime Stories, #8)
  • After the Snow (After the Snow, #1)
  • Devine Intervention
  • Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)
  • After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia
  • Rebirth (Aftertime, #2)
  • The Blending Time
  • Torn
  • Flash Point
  • The Well's End (The Well's End, #1)
Dayna is a writer of children's, young adult, and adult literature.

No Safety in Numbers (3 books)
  • No Easy Way Out (No Safety in Numbers, #2)
  • No Dawn Without Darkness (No Safety in Numbers, #3)
“Inside, Lexi saw only people on gurneys. Coughing, screaming, prostrate patients, but no doctors. She yelled for help, flapping open each curtain as she ducked through the maze of rooms. But there was no one.” 1 likes
“Something terrible was going on in this mall. Shay just had to keep Preeti and Nani safe. Hide them until this—whatever it was—was over. If she could do that, everything would be fine.” 1 likes