Start by marking “The Cats' House” as Want to Read:
The Cats' House

The Cats' House

Any cat would give up one of its nine lives for a shot at living in the Cats' House, a wacky fantasyland for cats created by Bob Walker and his wife, Frances Mooney. They've turned their California home into a feline fun house. It's the perfect mix of cat-friendly and cat-fantasy. And now cat fans can get an inside look with the first-ever paperback edition of The Cats' ...more
Published August 1st 1996 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Cats' House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cats' House

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen
Great Cat Books
1,453 books — 857 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperInto the Wild by Erin HunterOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
937 books — 442 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Cats' House
jess
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, interiors
I don't know what it says about me that I patiently waited for this book to become available through the library hold system. And it took a while, but I waited because I really wanted to see the pictures of this house. Go ahead, judge me. Call me a crazy cat lady. Your words can't touch me. My personal strength has been forged by claws, layers of cat hair on my work clothes and bath towels, midnight meow wake-ups, and endless scoops of litter. Bob Walker writes, "Our cats think all cats live ...more
Meghan
Jan 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I remember reading a story in the newspaper about an elderly couple - a postal worker and a librarian - who, over the years, dedicated themselves to collecting original art by artists they liked. They amassed a huge and valuable collection while living on a fixed income.

Similarly, the couple in this book live on modest means while dedicating themselves to something they believe in - only in this case, it's their cats. Over the years, they have come to own nine cats, and they have remodeled
Elaine Nelson
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Adorable little book by a pair of artists about how they've modified their home to be a fun place for their nine (!!!!) cats. Inspiring photos for things I might want to try later.

Two things that I want to note/remember for later: 30 degree incline with carpet for traction, and walkways spaced slightly away from the walls to make it easier for the cats to turn around.
Cb
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat fanatics!
If I could, this is what my house would look like!
G
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! After reading this, rooms look empty without cat-planks.
Lynne
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf
It is like a crazy cat lady's dream ...
Bryn (Plus Others)
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
Bob Walker and Frances Mooney are a married couple who in the 90s turned their San Diego house into a feline paradise and then wrote some books about it, as well as being featured on multiple television shows. This is the first book, which is pictures of the cats, pictures of the house, and very good description of how the various cat-walks, stairs, etc. fit together and even construction diagrams for a few. I was mostly in it for the charm and it didn't disappoint.
Melinda
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cats
Walker and Mooney were catifying even before the term catification. This brief memoir of their lives with cats, illustrated with color photographs, shows how the couple transformed their home into a perfect place for cats, with custom-made passages and stairs and more. Full of adorable photos and stories.
Fraser Sherman
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pets
Just not what I needed. I'm not sure I'd ever need this book on how to design overhead walkways for cats — it's not something I'd ever feel the need for, I think.
Susannah
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is all about a couple, and the way they have modified their house to create climbing platforms for their many cats. Their ideas are quite clever, and they document how they needed to modify their designs along the way, as well as to make them cat-appealing. They have put platforms near the ceiling in each room so the cats can walk up high. The platforms connect through little cat-sized passages cut into the wall so the cats can travel from room to room. There is carpet for gripping, ...more
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
The cover says "Any cat would give up one of its nine lives for a shot at living in the Cats' House, a wacky fantasyland for cats created by Bob Walker and his wife. They've turned their California home into a feline fun house." And it's a work of art too. Done in a southwest/day-of-the-dead theme, Logan loved the whole colorful thing. 140 feet of aerial walkways, spiral staircases, and giant scratching posts, and playful peepholes. The owners cut holes in the walls so that the walkways could go ...more
Marie
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cat-books
I think the first time I heard about these people and their house was on Animal Planet. And since then I've been wanting to steal some of their ideas. So I checked out this book from the library to get a few more pictures.
I liked some of the instructions, on how to build and design your own, but I wish there had been more pictures of their house and the way they set it all up. Still, there are plenty of great ideas here and it was an interesting read.
Cat Fithian
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Written and illustrated by the guy who created cat walks, etc, all through his house for his cats. Very clever designs, but the colors he used would give me a headache if I had to live there all the time. Way too busy. He shares all the specs and details of how to create your own cat-customized house. So very tempting!
Leslie
Aug 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers
Shelves: catbooks
This is the ultimate cat house. The author built all kinds of railings and stairs for his cats. I don't think many people would go to this extreme for their cat (mine is content with his cat tree), but I think it could give you some ideas for making your place more cat-friendly. Interior decorators and architects would also probably enjoy this book.
Tonks
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and charming. The cats really look happy, unlike in a lot of cat photography. We probably won't be cutting holes in the walls anytime soon, but it's inspiring to see great things done with an eccentric concept. Note: a lot of the pictures and text in this book are the same as the ones on their website (thecatshouse.com).
Peacegal
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars -- Colorful, crazy book about a couple who transformed their home into a Day-Glo cat paradise. It gives tips on creating your own cat furniture, but doesn't get bogged down in Bob Vila-speak.
Tracy
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers/exercise
Recommended to Tracy by: noone
Loved the creativity, if my home was big enough id do the same!

Funnily enough, some things I have seen in the book I have done, cats are like kids they love hiding and peeka boo places.
Reminds me of what i used to set up and use for young children to play with... minus the claws!!!!
Alissa
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
You will NOT believe what these people did to their house! It's kind of cool, actually, though... However, I thought MY cats were spoiled!! These people make my partner and I look like bad cat parente. lol.
Elizabeth Olson
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Artist couple turns their entire home into a giant, brightly colored kitty toy, for the pleasure of their 13 cats -- and us, who get to read about and see all this feline-pleasing creativity. What's not to love? Now to convince husband we need to do the same in our house...
Pepper
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every cat lover!
Amazingly beautiful house that caters to every whim & desire that a cat may have. I would love to have a house like this!
Mrbuffles
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Great cat enclosure ideas.
Michelle
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
happy cats. I plan to do a bit of this.
eva
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
whatever, so i'm a crazy cat lady. sue me. i don't think i'll ever own enough cats to justify these kinds of modifications, nor a house to put them in, but they were cool to look at anyway.
jeffrey
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Some design ideas to accommodate and entertain cats, with some construction details. The non-cat related interiors pics are at least as interesting as the feline.
Mira
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
What to say? Impossibly goofy concept, but charming in its way. Pretty photos.
Pamela Hill
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all cat lovers, If I was a feline, I'd want to live here!
M
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, favorites
I want to copy as many ideas from this book as I can. I want a bigger house!
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats
Read it at the vet's office. Same authors as "Crazy cats" which I have. Beautiful design ideas--wish I could incorporate some for my cats!
Juneko
Nov 12, 2011
Kristen
Mar 28, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• I Can Has Cheezburger?: A LOLcat Colleckshun
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #1)
  • Fresh Romance #1
  • The Little World of Liz Climo
  • I Am Maru
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Loving Our Cats: Heartwarming and Humorous Stories about our Feline Family Members
  • Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat—Not a Sour Puss
  • Breaking Cat News: Cats Reporting on the News that Matters to Cats
  • A Cat's Life
  • Underwater Puppies
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • Cat vs Human: Another Dose of Catnip