Start by marking “Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales” as Want to Read:
Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales

Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales

Drawing on dark fantasy as well as horror and wild humor, ten contemporary authors pay homage to the gothic tale in original stories of the supernatural and the surreal.

A lovesick count and the ghost of his brutalized servant . . . a serial killer who defies death . . . a house with a violent mind of its own and another that holds within its peeling walls a grotesque secre
Published August 3rd 2004 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Gothic!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gothic!

Debbie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of creepy stories. I enjoyed the whole collection, but several stories stood out for me.

“Morgan Roehmar’s Boys” by Vivian Vande Velde was genuinely scary.
“Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire” by Neil Gaiman has a story-within-a-story thing going on and the ending made me laugh out loud.
“Stone Tower” by Janni Lee Simner was such an interesting take on Rapunzel. My favorite from the collection.
“Writing on the Wall” by Celia Re
Mike
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
This was, like most anthologies, a mixed bag. It's called 'Gothic', but most of the stories here really aren't, the exceptions being Watch and Wake, Neil Gaiman's story, and The Dead and the Moonstruck. Most of these stories were simply horror, and incessantly bland horror at that. The anthology mostly consisted of a large onslaught of mediocre stories, and only one of them was even a little scary. But, nevertheless, here's a story by story review:

Lungewater by Joan Aiken: 2/5

This story consiste
Really great collection of horror tales. Not terrifying - more like creepy. Some twists on the classic tropes. Perfect for a short story collection. I’ll look into some of the authors for further reading.
Sandy
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a collection of 10 'gothic' tales. I only found one of them to be scary, and that was the third one. Again, predictable, but OMG, that didn't make it any less CREEEEEPYYYYYYY!!!!!!! But, everyone's scared of different things. There are some stories about ghosts, a silly story about a vampire child, some more vampires, werewolves, etc. Some of the stories, while not scary, were still really good and interesting, and SHOCK not predictable!
Brandon O'Neill
Like any short story collection, you get a mixed bag here - some are scarier or darker than others, but there were some authors in here that I had never read before and wanted to try them out. An over all good collection for Halloween time. The Dead and the Moonstruck was my favorite in this collection.
Violet
Miss Bookiverse
Lungewater by Joan Aiken ★★☆☆☆
Ein Mädchen trifft einen alten Mann im Bus, der ihr eine alte Geschichte erzählt, die mit ihrer eigenen Familie zusammenhängt.
Gut geschrieben, aber inhaltlich eher unspektakulär.

Morgan Roehmar's Boys by Vivian Vande Velde ★★★☆☆
Ein Mädchen bleibt bei schlechtem Wetter allein in einer Scheune und trifft dort auf jemanden...
Woah, überraschende Wendung am Ende! O_O

Watch and Wake by M.T. Anderson ★★☆☆☆
Ein weggelaufener Junge soll die Totenwache eines Verstorbenen überneh
Jonathan
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These stories are neither gothic nor particularly good. Many of these tales are, frankly, cute. Not once did I feel scared. Not once did I feel wrapped up in a gothic atmosphere. Gothic can mean many things, but not once did I feel like I was reading a Tim Burton movie or reading a Bram Stoker book or listening to a Bauhaus song or anything. By and large, these stories are tame, sometimes confusing, and never particularly dark or spooky. Never once was I scared.

M.T. Anderson's "Watch and Wake,"
Deb
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gaiman fans and Poppy Z. Brite readers looking for a softer note
This anthology of short modern gothic tales is an older litgeek's version of that "Scary Stories" trilogy that was published in the 1980s by Alvin Schwartz. (The illustrations in those books were creepier than the stories)

Most of the stories are well worth reading in the dark by yourself. They don't hold a candle to the heebie-jeebies that horror stories evoke, the kind that make you uncomfortable in your own skin and lead you to jump at shadows, but the gothic genre is a kissing-cousin and make
Max Beuvelet
It was very hard to write about this book because there was not one main character, but because of the different story lines, it made the book fun to
read because its always different
Orrin Grey
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Another re-read. I've read a lot of anthologies of horror/dark fiction over the years, and, as weird as it sounds to say, Gothic! may be my favorite. I don't love every story, but most of them are creepy and solid and fun, which is everything I ask for from a story. Plus, this is the first place I ever read anything by M. T. Anderson, and his story in here remains a favorite of mine.
Leo Van gerwen
A lovesick count and the ghost of his brutalized servant . . . a serial killer who defies death . . . a house with a violent mind of its own and another that holds a grotesque secret within its peeling walls. Here are witches who feast on faces, changeling rites of passage, a venerable vampire
contemplating his end, and a fanged brat who drains the patience of a bumbling teenage boy. Here too are a flamboyant young novelist in search of a subject more compelling than his own eerie existence and
Heather Ingemar
A fun anthology of spooky & dark fiction. A great read for October!
Abby
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different perspectives of gothic. If you like gothic, then you should find at least a couple good stories in this book.
Jean-Paul
Gothic!
Ten Original Dark Tales

I don't remember how long ago I bought
this book. I picked it up because a
friend had a short story published in it,
and also because there was a Neil Gaiman
piece, and I'm a sucker for his work. The
other names on the over did not ring any
bells for me. Since this is a collection
it's only fair if I give a mini-review of
each story, and I might as well do it in
the order that they appear in this book.

1) Lungewater by Joan Aiken

I believe I read in the artist bio par
Katharine
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't read books of short stories... usually. I'd make myself read them all in series and then give up, because reading the ones I don't like ruins the concept of the whole collection.
So this time I didn't read the ones that bored me or irritated me, and actually enjoyed reading. Silly me!
I liked Neil Gaiman's story (creepy and delightfully humorous), and Garth Nix's (thoughtful and brooding and elegant) -though since I already like these two authors this probably isn't surprising- M. T. Ander
Actual rating: 3,5.
Lindsay Werner
Some of the stories were great! Others, eh.
Edwina Callan
These stories were more cute than creepy but nevertheless I enjoyed this fun and fast read.
Juushika
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: status-borrowed
The history of a haunted stream, a wake for a witch-haunted corpse, a coming of age ritual for a changling child: Gothic! is a collection of ten stories from authors such as Neil Gaiman, Gregory Maguire, and Caitlín R. Kiernan. Filled with ghouls, ghosts, and vampires, these stories are quiet, dark, gothic tales which haunt the edges of the horror genre. Most of the stories have missing or undeveloped aspects which make them good but not quite great; there are a few exceptions, both good and bad ...more
Maggie May
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most collections of short stories, some tales are better than others (and more gothic than others in this case). The first story of the collection "Lungewater" is a wonderfully compelling story full of mist and 'otherness.' A tale by Neil Gaiman, "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire," is a clever parody of gothic lit. "Writing on the Wall" is a well told ghost story. And "Stone Tower" is a nice modern gothic fairytale. If you like dark ...more
Katharine Kruse
Scattered among some unremarkable ghost stories and melodramatic supernatural YA are some genuinely good offerings.

Unsurprisingly, Neil Gaiman's "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire" is closest to what I would consider traditionally "gothic" (though you probably guessed that from the title alone), even invoking the names of 18th century staples The Castle of Otranto and The Mysteries of Udolpho. Being Gaiman, however, there is more to the ta
Tati Dengo
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Before you read this collection, understand that these are NOT horror stories nor do they claim to be. Gothic stories are dark yes, and they often include: mysteries, old dwellings, and a touch of the supernatural. Deborah Noyes does an excellent job of explaining the nuances in the introduction.

There's very few gothic stories in our school's library which I haven't yet read, and thankfully these satisfied my craving.

Some are quite traditional, with an old house, creepy things happening, etc.
Missy (Missy's Reads & Reviews)
Since this is an anthology, it's going to be short and sweet because I don't want to give too much away! Gothic! is a collection of ten short stories by known and not-so-known authors that have one thing in common: they know how to write a pretty eerie story. Now, mind you, gothic isn't necessarily scary like horror stories are. Gothic stories don't necessarily make you lose sleep, but you may keep a few lights on when you go to bed.

In this anthology, you really have to take the good with the ba
Taylor
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
with these stories i really like the sadistic and qrotesqueness, it really made this book stand out. With the stories themselves some were pretty good, others were kinda boring soo

Really good stories:

Morgan Roehmars Boys by Vivian Vande Velde - it was suspenseful throughout and there was a very surprising twist at the end! I loved how the ending page had a psychotic voice to it and it made a lasting eerieness after reading.

Stone Tower by Janni Lee Simmer

Writing on the Wall by Celia Rees: kinda
Kitten Blue
LUNGEWATER (Joan Aiken): pointless.

MORGAN ROEHMAR’S BOYS (Vivian Vande Velde): uh ... surprising, I guess ... although not quite believable.

WATCH AND WAKE (M.T. Anderson): creepy as fuck! very Grimm! pure win! :o

FORBIDDEN BRIDES OF THE FACELESS SLAVES IN THE NAMELESS HOUSE OF THE NIGHT OF DREAD DESIRE (Neil Gaiman): *sigh* I want to hate this, but – okay – it’s funny and actually quite clever. it only comes together at the end, though. until then: IRRITATING.

THE DEAD AND THE MOONSTRUCK (Caitlin
Smiley08
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 13 and ^
Recommended to Smiley08 by: Zayra
GOTHIC: Ten Original Dark Tales is a book written by many authors. This book contains only short stories. They are mostly about things that are not really normal. For example the vampires, witches, ghouls, and ghosts. The stories contain very mature things.
The first story is about a count that fell in love with a young lady. The thing is she ddn't respond to his love. She went back to where she lives and the count sent poems with his loyal servant. He always demande to take the short way. The
Elizabeth
So far it's going well. I started this last night when I couldn't sleep and I read three stories.

The story by Niel Gaiman, "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire", was a nice twist on a classic scary story and has probably the best name.

"Endings" by Garth Nix, though short, was amazing. I'm liking him more and more all the time.

I even enjoyed Gregory Maguire's "The Prank", and I haven't liked anything that I've read of his before this.

Lungew
Tripmastermonkey
Sep 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-teen
i didn't love this book, but some of the stories were really fun. i hated the story by Gregory Maguire (i think it totally depoliticizes the idea of what a hate-crime is)

i think the female authors in the collection were definitely superior. they just developed the characters in a short space in a way the men didn't. Janni Lee Simner's and Celia Rees's stories were probably my favorites.

Neil Gaiman's (Sandman comics, many other great fantasy stories) "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in th
Gothic! is a collection of 10 gothic short stories, several from well-known authors. I have rated each of the stories and used the average for my review (3.5 stars). Although I enjoyed the collection overall, there was a lot of iron pyrite mixed in with a few nuggets of gold. Some were incredibly creepy, and others had bits of humour that were refreshing. I'm not much of a short story person, nor a gothic person, so that might have biased my ratings.

1. Lungewater - 2 stars

• The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic Edge
  • Gothic Charm School: An Essential Guide for Goths and Those Who Love Them
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce
  • Twice Told: Original Stories Inspired by Original Artwork
Deb writes for adults and children and is also an editor and photographer. She lives in Massachusetts with her family.
“What makes us brave isn't lacking the good sense to be afraid; it's looking back at what we've lived through and seeing if we faced it well.” 2 likes
“There's nothing worse than a messy dead body.” 2 likes