Start by marking “Shakespeare's Cuthbert (Cuthbert #1)” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare's Cuthbert (Cuthbert #1)

Shakespeare's Cuthbert (Cuthbert #1)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
At the heart of this riotous laugh-a-paragraph farce that will delight members of amateur dramatic societies everywhere, lies a forgotten village in a remote valley where the 'real valley folk' live, including Cuthbert, the village undertaker, impressario of the shambolic annual theatre production, and holy fool; Margery, the local beauty and mother of the Mafia twins whos ...more
Published July 10th 2011 by Night Publishing (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Cuthbert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare's Cuthbert

Philip Whiteland
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To my mind, there is no-one better at the well crafted joke than Patrick Barrett and this book is a great illustration of this. The cover price would be justified on the basis of the first few paragraphs alone. There are some hilarious scenes and great characters. I read an earlier version of this years ago when we were both begging for reviews on Authonomy and I have to say that this version is a huge improvement. My only criticism would be that the plot could be a little more carefully develop ...more
Carol Waller
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Not the funniest book you'll ever read, quite possible the driest. But if you enjoy bone-dry, bone-brittle wit, this for you. Think Pratchett, think subtle. Think you may need strings to keep track of who is chasing what while chasing who else with lust or larceny in their hearts. But it gets 4 for the best line I have read in any book in a great while:

When real life visited Cuthbert, it came like the seventh cavalry with the whole Sioux nation screaming behind it.

Worth every moment for that ima
Sophie Duncan
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Terry Pratchet-style observational humour
This type of book is not my normal fare, not being YA, fantasy, or paranormal, but, I have to say, I loved it.

Set in 'the valley', Shakespeare's Cuthbert follows the life of farmer and local undertaker, Cuthbert; he's not 'real valley folk', he's a bit dim and a true accidental hero, and he is really fun to read.

The book is quite long and densely packed with chortles and asides (a la Terry Pratchet, only not at the bottom of the page) - be warned, until you get used to this, you may get a little
Elaina
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read comedy, but now and again a good giggle is great, and Shakespeare’s Cuthbert certainly made me laugh. Cuthbert, dear Cuthbert, an innocent really who ends up appearing wise. He is so ignorant of the world around him that he bumbles into the oddest situations … and somehow emerges as the clever one!

Come and delve the tunnels under this very strange valley and discover their secrets, and stumble with Cuthbert in the dark into tapestries and coffins and the like. Your eyes will be wid
Jenna
A mysteriously hilarious novel!
An undertaker who came into possession of a farm from his parents, and came with a very popular "Barn" where a traditional stage play, Shakespeare transpire. Cuthbert's family has always organized the theatre's custom, and was famed in the valley. And so, was the dedication to the "Bard"...... children were introduced into performance upon an early age.

Meanwhile, Cuthbert was busy with his "Barn" for their yearly play. A burglary was conducted in Cuthbert's propert
Katherine Holmes
Shakespeare's Cuthbert is a bucolic ball. Between Cuthbert's farm and Mandrake Hall are tunnels where scrolls from Shakespeare's time are hidden and characters whose oddities are revealed while they hunt for the rumored treasure. The entire valley becomes a scenario roiling with the entrances of Percy the gardener, the brothers who reside at the hall, an antique dealer, Cuthbert's one-time girlfriend who can identify the scrolls, and the players in their annual play.

There's clever dialogue, ane
Deidre
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, favorites
Loved this book! Hard to believe this Barrett's first book. With lyrical prose and a deft hand turning language on it's head, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment spent "in the valley". I cannot recall the last book that incited to me to laugh out loud as much as this one. The characters are well voiced, both animate and inanimate, that I would truly enjoy reading more books set "in the valley". I really want to know what the twins are up to now! This was free download but I am now heading to Amazo ...more
Ines
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: laughs
The undertaker Cuthbert is quite slow, albeit very lucky, and he organises the local annual Shakespeare's play. He is surrounded by odd characters looking for a treasure that might exist (or not) in the valley, but the real folks from the valley that help with the play don't like these newcomers. This book is a funny read, but quite long and I admit I got lost sometimes. Eventually I caught up with the main story line, the characters and what they were doing, and found a book filled with very fu ...more
Karen (Kew)
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book had me laughing out loud from the start. The style is fun and silly, but also witty and very visual. However, I did find that I enjoyed it more read in small doses; if I tried to read it straight through as I do most novels, I found it to be a bit much for me. I enjoyed reading it and will probably read it again one day as there is so much wit in the text that I want to pick up whatever I missed the first time.
Bev
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A highly amusing bit of tongue in cheek humour. There's a cast of the most delicious characters, each one a comic gem in their own right.
And as for Cuthbert himself...he could be straight out of Wodehouse.
Carla Roehl-steinhaus
Well this book started out slow and I was gonna give up but the morre I read the funnier it became! I was laughing outloud at almost every chapter! I would totally recommend this to read for those of you who enjoy a good comical story!!
Monique
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuthbert is such a hilarious character.Misfortune follows him constantly be he is left unaffected by it because he is totally oblivious of his surroundings.Patrick Barrett wrote this comedic tale so well that I couldn't stop laughing from beginning to end.
Jack
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining comedy featuring Cuthbert, who maintains equanimity, and enjoys serendipity, throughout the strange events that occur in his neighborhood when locals and incomers start looking for something valuable and historic.
Trish Bodine
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious story about Cuthbert. If you are not fond of word play and puns, this is not for you. I LOVED IT!
Martyn
I will not rate as I didn't get far, not for me.
Richard
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Not the easiest of stories to follow given the writing style but the humour was good & an entertaining read
Mark
rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2015
Aug 03, 2015
Erika
Sep 28, 2013

Cuthbert (10 books)
  • How Mean Is My Valley (Cuthbert #2)
  • Tee for Two in the Valley (Cuthbert #3)
  • Death's Valley (Cuthbert #4)
  • Cuthbert's Flying Circus (Cuthbert, #5)
  • Home on the Range (Cuthbert #6)
  • Sledgehammer to Crack a Nut (Cuthbert #7)
  • Nursing a Grudge (Cuthbert #8)
  • A Fair Cop in the Valley (Cuthbert #9)
  • The Valley That Time Forgot (Cuthbert #10)