Start by marking “Red Heart Tattoo” as Want to Read:
Red Heart Tattoo

Red Heart Tattoo

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  706 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
At 7:45 a.m. on the day before Thanksgiving break, a bomb goes off at Edison High. Nine people die instantly. Fifteen are critically injured. Twenty-two suffer less severe injuries. And one is blinded. Those who survive, struggle to cope with the loss and destruction. All must find new meaning for their lives as a result of something they may never understand.

Lurlene McDan
Published July 24th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Red Heart Tattoo, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Giselle
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
With an eye widening prologue that winds up your emotions, Red Heart Tattoo's powerful beginning sets the ideal mood for the whole book. Told in five perspectives, we experience the before and after of a school bombing that leaves grief at every corner, and loss at every rubble.

With five perspectives, we get a lot of individual consequences to the school bombing. Showing us how different people cope, how they grieve and support each other. Since the book begins a few months before the incident,
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Confession time. I might have been looking forward to ripping this book apart. **Hanging head in shame** I know, I know…I’m scum, but growing up Lurlene McDaniel books were just not my style. I skipped right on by to rocker boys, shenanigans, and big trouble! :D I brushed her books off as fluff or Lifetime movies in print. Not that there is anything wrong with Lifetime movies! But…

I was wrong. Red Heart Tattoo by Ms. Lurlene McDaniel surprised, impressed and moved me.

Life can change in
Joy (joyous reads)
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, net-galley
Ripped from the headlines, Red Heart Tattoo is a story of people coming together after a couple of attention-hungry kids set off a bomb in a high school. And in the centre of the chaos was Roth; a tattooed senior with a reputation for inciting malice. Roth has been attracted to Morgan for what seemed like an eternity. But Morgan was on the opposite spectrum of Roth's world; she's popular, president of the students council and was the other half of the 'IT' couple in school. That didn't deter Rot ...more
Debbie I Heart YA Books
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Red Heart Tattoo ripped my heart to pieces. Lurlene McDaniel has a gift for writing heart-stopping storylines. I definitely knew I had a heart because it was breaking for these six teenagers. Red Heart Tattoo is told from five POV’s with the main prospective coming from Morgan. All the characters in this story will steal your heart. Lurlene McDaniel has taken high school drama to its darkest emotional level. I'm sitting here writing this review through tears. After reading this novel, it will ta ...more
Sandra
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I was growing up I devoured Lurlene McDaniel's books, whether I begged my parents to buy them for me or I got them from the library. I must have read Don't Die, My Love at least ten times. So obviously when I found this book on NetGalley I was very excited. I devoured Red Heart Tattoo just like the rest of 'em.

The morning before Thanksgiving break begins, a bomb goes off at Edison high school. Red Heart Tattoo follows the lives of those affected both before and after the bomb goes off; seve
Tana
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read by Larlene McDaniel, I was given a copy to review through NetGallery and find myself now trying to write a review. Larlene has written many novels as far as I can tell, she writes about love, loss, death, illness, and trauma that young people face today face.

The story starts with the explosion, 7:45 am a bomb goes off at Edison High, the explosion happened in a nanosecond, bursting first with a brilliant flash of white, followed by deafening roar....when the blas
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I actually finished reading this book a couple of days ago and I liked it. It was very emotional and touched a subject that is very close to reality.

It was sad to think about because as a mother we send our kids off to school thinking they will be safe there. Red Heart Tattoo touches a little bit of bullying, jealousy, anger, teen pregnancy, and lots more. I mean for such a tiny book it was packed with a lot of real life issues. Two students at Edison high created a bomb and actually thought it
Michelle
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Actual Rating: 1.5

To me, Red Heart Tattoo was the book equivalent of that friend's mom/new teacher/random adult who was trying so hard to relate to the teens around them that they never stopped to look around and actually see who the teens were. Lurlene McDaniel tackles some pretty hefty issues in this book, but the reality of these issues seem to just pass her by. Since the 'issues' seem to be such a focus in the book, I will review in a list of issues that I found most problematic:

School Shoot
Mitch
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Red Heart Tattoo's one of those books that's gonna stay with me for awhile. A high school bombing's obviously a very heavy subject, but, for the most part, Lurlene McDaniel's writing handles it with emotion and poise. McDaniel doesn't exploit the tragedy for shock value and her words aren't dramatic to the point of being a tearjerker but rather subdued, which makes this book all the more emotional.

I have to admit I had trouble at the beginning. The prologue gave me the impression most of this bo
Michele at A Belle's Tales
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I knew what was ahead - it’s there in the summary, so I began this story, nervously anticipating the tragedy that was going to transpire. What I wasn’t prepared for was how engaging these characters would be. In the beginning of the book, the author does a phenomenal job introducing them and really letting you get to know them. Most are seniors on the verge of graduating and making their mark in the real world. Some have earnest and significant academic goals, and others....not so much. There ar ...more
Anjana
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Red Heart Tattoo is told from the perspective of different characters, each teenager belonging to their own cliques - the popular girls, the jock, the loner - unfortunately, just as it is in reality. As mentioned in the synopsis, the novel begins with a tragedy - there is a bomb blast at Edison High, , planned and executed by two kids calling themselves Apocalypse and Executioner, and we see the consequences of that day faced by five students, each of them dealing with the grief.

Red Heart Tatto
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lurlene McDaniel books always find a way to my heart and my eyes are never dry.

What I loved about this book is the moving plot. So intense from the very first page, the reader is captured. There has been many real devastating events like this to see as if I were the characters it amazing. The suffering they go through, the pain, it just heart wrenching.

I really loved the love interest in the book. No, it's not quite a happy ending, but they are left with a connection. After all that they have b
Isabela Libby
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, but it was very depressing to read.
Amy
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick read that reminded me of why I was such a huge fan of Lurlene McDaniel when I was an adolescent. The book held my interest but now as an adult, I feel like I can’t quite connect like I used to.

This story is about high schoolers that are involved in a school bombing. The book isn’t wholly focused on the bomb as much as many other school bombing books, but the relationships of the characters. It follows 2 main characters and then adds in more characters to fatten up the story and create mor
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very interesting book. I really enjoyed reading it. I always love reading Lurlene McDaniel books and I am so happy she still writes books to this day. I first started reading her books that were written in the late 80s and moving forward. I liked the characters and loved the idea of multiple character point of view. This book was about tragedy, heartbreak, loss, and dealing with grief and moving forward with your life.
Christie Brumley
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An inspirational novel about teens facing life-altering situations and how they don’t get to choose what hand life deals them, however; they do make the choice of how they will respond to the situation. First book I’ve read by the author and she left me longing for more. Her stories are realistic and hard hitting but they leave you with such feelings of hope and inspiration
Ashlee Marie
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tower-team-vi
A group of popular seniors face their worst nightmare when a bomb goes off in their high school. With 9 of their friends and teachers dead, the remaining students, wounded and blinded, persevere to not show the fear in their souls. They are determined to make the best of this year, graduate, and leave this disaster behind them.
Michelle
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good story about rebel who wants to make some noise (lighting off fireworks at a pep rally). Two other students want to leave a larger lasting impression so they decide to place a bomb in the school. Couples are tore apart by the bombing, lives are changed. This was a good book however, I wish the ending had a little more spark to it.
Rachel Foster
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I loved Lurlene McDaniel's book as a teenager and I saw it for sale on Book Outlet. I'm giving this a three for nostalgia sake but in the grand scheme of stories as a whole, it would be a 1.5/2.
Shayla
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
It wasn't as i expected it to be but it was a good book.
Mrs
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one is based in Michigan, so I was more pulled in, but it was an awesome story. As I said before, I love Lurlene and I think she's an amazing writer!
Rowena
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
When I first read the blurb for this book, I knew that I was going to read it. Whether I was in the mood for something as serious as a school bombing or not, I knew that I was going to read this book. When I finally picked this book up to read, I couldn’t put it down. I didn’t want to put it down because McDaniels did a great job of sucking me right into the story and while the book was gripping and most things good, there were a few things that I dimmed my enjoyment of this one.

Morgan is an ove
224 pages

Facebook: Yes
Twitter: @LurleneMcdaniel
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Rating: This was an okay read for me. I am disappointed that it did not live up to its potential.
I received a copy of this book, free, in exchange for my honest review.

The lives of Edison High School students are changed dramatically and permanently after a bomb is set off inside the atrium. Morgan, the studen
Karla Nellenbach
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
(Note: I'd actually give this 2.5 stars, but whatevs)

I find myself on the fence about this book. The idea is something that could happen today, which is sad, but I also felt like it's something that's been done before. While reading this book, I couldn't help but think of Columbine, as this had so many, haunting similarities regarding the kids who planned the bombing in TATTOO. I kind of think that the author intended the reader to compare the two, as anyone who remembers that said day in Americ
Andrea thebusybibliophile
This is my first Lurlene McDaniel book and I’m not overwhelmed. The plot was good, the writing was okay, but I just wasn’t smitten.
The novel opened with a prank involving some fireworks that suddenly go off in the middle of a pep rally. The students reacted so dramatically, I assumed the bomb mentioned in the book’s blurb had already happened (it hadn’t). So, at first I was confused; why were they acting so put-out over a little firework display?

The plot was topical and interesting. Not only doe
Kristina
Originally published at Nose in a Book.

This cover is so weird. I thought this was a romance when I first saw it. I almost think it’s inappropriate for the subject matter, but whatever, I can shrug that off. The writing was incredibly simplistic and not very detailed, which annoyed me part of the time, but lent some realism to the narrative as well. This isn’t about a lush medieval environment, this is the aftermath of a bombing. There are, however, some incredibly cheesy lines that made me cring
Shawn Lane
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Rebecca A. Rogers
3.5

One word for this book: haunting. It’s been days since I finished and I can’t stop thinking about parts of it. For me, it was reminiscent of Columbine, which was an absolute tragedy. Anytime innocent people die as a result of the foolishness of another human being, it sickens me. So in a lot of ways, Red Heart Tattoo tore me apart.

The book follows the lives of several individuals—from the popular crowd to the outsiders, and even to the perpetrators of the bombing, who call themselves “Executi
Leigh Collazo