Start by marking “Shadowlander (Shadow Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadowlander (Shadow Sisters, #1)

Shadowlander

(Shadow Sisters #1)

Four sisters, three rules to live by, one big problem.

O'Connell Family Rule #1: Don't let the Fae know you see them.
O'Connell Family Rule #2: Don't talk to the Fae.
O'Connell Family Rule #3: Never, ever follow them.

Most people only believe what they can see. Gifted with the ability to see the deep, dark fae of Shadowland, Catherine Rowan Mary O'Connell would prefer not to.
ebook
Published November 1st 2011 by Entangled Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowlander, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Shadowlander (Shadow Sisters, #1)
Kat Kennedy
In one regard, life has taught me not to expect too much from a Novella. Yet I think this one still managed to let down even my low expectations and I'm a little depressed about that.

Cate and her family are seers of the Fae and so must hide their abilities. Rook is a fae who stalks Cate, thinking she can't see him. Their paths collide when one of Cate's friends is kidnapped by the fae. She needs to get into the Fae world to get her friend back and he needs her to begin the Fae conquest of Earth.
Crystal
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This was a fun read. I won’t say that it was mind blowing or anything but for a light fun spicey read it did the trick.

Cate knows that she is not supposed to look at all the scary creatures that surround her on a daily basis, but when one takes her best friend she realizes that she is going to have to forget everything she has ever learned and jump head first into the fae world. The only way for her to do this is by letting the one fae that has been around her since she can remember know that
Jena
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
With its mystical world and sexy characters, Shadowlander is a quick-paced novella that will entrap you on every page.

Catherine O'Connell, or Cate for short, is a seer. She can see the Fae in her world but, it's a secret she must keep or it would put her in serious danger. Cate's done a fantastic job ignoring the Fae, until her friend Maya is taken. Now, she must throw away everything she knows and trust a faerie she's been seeing since she was sixteen, if she wants to get Maya back. Rook, is
Bethzaida
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been in a reading slump for the last few weeks. Every book I read just doesn’t pull mein. So, yesterday in the attempt to stop my reading laziness I decided to read Shadowlander by Theresa Meyers and WHOA this novella is amazing! FYI Shadowlanderis an ADULT read and that’s why I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it because I mostly read YA books. I guess I’m a little tired of the same old thing. Anyway, Shadowlander has everything. I promise. The author goes straight to the point, there’s ...more
Amber
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you are in a reading slump, Shadowlander is a cure. Looking for a spicey read with fae, and some action to boot? This is one to read.

I enjoyed the chemistry between the protag, Cate and the fae prince, Rook. At times the story seemed to fade into the background and you just want to skip the b.s. and get down to business. I will say though, it is worth the wait.

Overall, I enjoyed this story and I look forward to the next one. Bring on more Rook!
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
The ending seemed very rushed, but overall, I enjoyed my foray into Theresa Meyers' Shadowlander. It's a quick, sexy read that combines action, suspense, and romance into an entertaining introduction to Meyers' new series. Looking forward to reading more.

Full review soon at www.mangamaniaccafe.com
Julia
A short and steamy novella, SHADOWLANDER does a wonderful job establishing world, characters, and conflict in a short period of time. This glimpse has whetted my appetite for more, I look forward to meeting the other sisters.
Katherine McCarthy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My Thoughts

I adore stories about the Fae. The legends, lore and myths, the fact that I’m completely transported to a place where imagination completely takes over, or perhaps it’s just my Irish heritage. Regardless of the reasoning, these kinds of stories are among my favorites.

This novella is an introduction to the new Shadow Sisters series by Theresa Meyers. It sets the stage for the full-length novel due to come out in Fall 2012. The author has given life to a spectacular world with Fae and
Karen
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I would give this one 3.5

Cate O'Connell and her three sisters have lived by these three simple rules:

O'Connell Family Rule #1: Don't let the Fae know you see them.
O'Connell Family Rule #2: Don't talk to the Fae.
O'Connell Family Rule #3: Never, ever follow them.

As a seer, one of the few humans with the ability to see the Fae, Cate has trained herself well to mask her reactions to the creatures as they interfere in the daily life of humanity. There may be a tiny ferret looking Fae taking a dip
Marlene
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shadowlander, by Theresa Meyers, had an absolutely terrific first 15 pages. I totally got hooked on the teaser pages. Consider me duly teased.

Catherine O'Connell can see the fae that inhabit our world. Except for her three sisters, no one else can. And it would be very, very dangerous for the fae to ever find out that she can see them. So, when ferretlike fae sample her best friend's food at an outdoor cafe, Cate has to pretend she doesn't see them. When a fae practically climbs into her
Anna

Reviewed at Books to Brighten your Mood

I was dying to read Shadowlander ever since I read that amazing premise. It kind of sounded like Fever series meets Wicked Lovely to me and to be honest I was just desperate to find my next great UF series with fae, so when I picked this novella up, I was just certain that it would be great. Only to be hugely disappointed once more...

I'm not a big fan of novellas and that is why I try to avoid them usually. I simply think that there's not enough "room" in a
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shadowlander Review on K-Books

I definitely didn't expect to be sucked into this story as much as I was. Shadowlander is a Novella and with me I usually don't get as drawn in to short stories as much as I do with full-length novels. This is definitely the exception. I wasn't sure for the first few pages but then I was sucked in and couldn't put it down. It's an incredible story and I couldn't think of anything else except this story.

Cate has always seen the Fae but has always been brought up to
Brenna
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Occasionally, you'll see that I venture out of my little YA bubble to try something different, and this adult paranormal romance was one of those ventures. Because this is something a bit different from my normal review books, I want to keep it in the separate category it belongs in.

Shadowlander is a romance novella; it was designed to be different from the majority of YA books (often trilogies) I tend to read, and I want to respect it as such.

1.Original Descriptions:
I really want to applaud
Rhianna
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
It just wasn't for me.

Cate's family has had one standing command amongst them since their mother disappeared. Pretend that you don't know the Fae are there. But that's impossible to do when Cate's best friend is kidnapped and taken into the Shadowland. With a miniscule amount of time before the doorway to the Fae world closes trapping them there forever, Cate sets a plan in motion to rescue Maya. But it means revealing her ability to see them to the alluring Fae who has dogged her steps for
Vi (like the letter)
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arcs, reviewed, 4-stars
*Before you go any further, you should know that this book falls in the Adult Fantasy genre and might not be suitable for young readers.*

I went into this thinking it was a young adult title and boy was I wrong! Not that there was anything wrong with that, because I was pleasantly surprised. I think I'm just so used to reading YA, that as I was going through this novella, I was like "WTH! Is she allowed to write that?!".

Anyways, I really enjoyed the book. At first, it reminded me of A Wicked
Traci
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
This book started off strong. I was excited to read a novel about the fae because it's not something that I've really delved into before. We're met with our main character Cate that can see the fae but has always been warned by her grandmother to ignore them, to never acknowledge them. She's done well with ignoring them for several years that is, until her friend is kidnapped by one which sets Cate off on a mission to rescue her.

Cate's fairy companion is Rook, a fae that has bee with her for
Valia Lind
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was given the opportunity to review this book and I have to say I was not disappointed. The storyline is fast paced and gripping. The characters are well developed and fun. I was never one for novellas before but now I can see that it can be done properly. This is definitely a great read for anyone who loves magic, conflict, and love that overcomes the odds.
I really enjoyed Cate as the main character. She takes matters into her own hands to save a friend and she doesn’t sit by the
Fallon
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fae, kindle, series, fantasy
In this new series there are 4 sisters, but we only meet 2 of them in this book as the story revolves around Cate, the eldest sister. The sisters have grown up being able to see the Fae, but they can't tell anyone, and they have to pretend they can't see them. Which is hard for Cate when here best friend was abducted by a Fae & she'll do anything to get her back.

So, warning there is sex in this, some people can't stomach the sex business in these stories so be forewarned. It's not so much to
Jennifer K Jovus
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I would give Shadowlander a 3.75 Star Rating***

When given the opportunity to review Shadowlander I jumped on it. I had read the blurb several months ago and thought it had great potential.

Theresa Meyers creates a fae world that is easy to get lost in. I like the relationship that Catherine and Rook have - it's an immediate attraction and a different dynamic than most paranormal couples. Together Rook and Catherine set out on a journey to rescue her friend.

Intent on saving her friend Maya,
Serene
Nov 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the beginning of Shadowlander. However, as the storyline progressed I felt it became a touch too fantastic for my taste. What I liked about the story was the beginning: the urban fantasy feeling, the mix of fae and human reality. The mystery of these two worlds touching and interacting. However, once the story dipped into the Fae realm the storyline just seemed to become too unrealistic for me that I rapidly lost interest.

Cate was a good heroine. She seemed smart, capable and
Amber I.
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
In this novella Theresa Meyers gave us one hell of a good time! We start the action of the story right away and get a little swept off our feet by Rook. Cate has been raised with certain rules but when her friend goes missing, she ends up breaking all the rules, and lets face some rules are made to be broken!

The chemistry between Cate and Rook was instant, it kept me stuck to the pages. There is something so fun about a forbidden romance. Cate is off limits to him because she is a seer and Rook
Silver James
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This novella was a quick, fun read. Cate, the heroine, is very likeable and Rook, the hero, is yummy. The world building is unique and well done. Ms. Meyers is setting up an intriguing new series and I look forward to more.
Mashkai
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first half of this novella. I just wish it had ended as strongly as it began. The fae world Ms. Meyers created was wonderful. I would be interested in seeing where thus story line could lead.
Lisa Kessler
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love books about Fae and the veil between our world and theirs!!!

Theresa did a great job describing the world across the veil too... I really liked Rook too!

I wish it had been longer, but as a lead in for the series, I was definitely hooked... :)
Wee Shubba's World
sadly this one wasn't for me, I just couldn't get into it at all. :(
Jill
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fae, fantasy
It had such great potential as a story, but I felt it came off as rushed. Maybe the following books wikl be a little better because I believe this is a series.
Olivia elliott
heather
Jan 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Can Faeries be Alpha? 3 4 Nov 20, 2015 03:56AM
The progeny of a slightly mad NASA scientist and a tea-drinking bibliophile who turned the family dining room into a library, Theresa Meyers learned early the value of a questioning mind, books and a good china teapot. But it wasnt until third grade that Theresa overcame her dyslexia and learned to read, going on to make words her lifes work. With a degree in Mass Communications she became first a ...more