Start by marking “The Feral Child” as Want to Read:
The Feral Child

The Feral Child

(Feral Child Trilogy #1)

Maddy and her cousins set off on a terrifying journey into a magical wilderness and then a cruel and dazzling faerie court to bring back their friend who was stolen by a feral boy.
Published 2012 (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Feral Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feral Child

Tandie
I liked the story, but the execution was a bit rough. Maddie was a hard MC to like, even given her difficult circumstances. I enjoyed Roisin, but found Danny's character transformation too drastic to be believable. Maddie's dog George was a favorite character and I thoroughly enjoyed it when he peed all over her. I felt the descriptions of the Fairy Court and its politics very vague. Not super wowwed by this one.
Karissa
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book through NetGalley for review. It is the first book in a planned trilogy. It was a simple and quick read about a young girl who gets involved with the Fae. I really enjoyed it, it was engaging and I enjoyed the subject matter.

Maddy is an orphan who is living with her grandparents in Ireland. She hates the Irish town she lives in and runs away to an old castle at night, a castle she has been warned to never set foot in. There she meets an evil fae. When the fae comes to steal her y
Bea  Charmed
I got this book because I liked the cover and the blurb called to me. I like when modern stories retain the feel of traditional fairy tales and keep the spirit of the fairies - tricksy, otherworldly, and not necessarily friendly.

We definitely got that in this book; these fae are not cute, cuddly, or lovable. They are clearly different from humans, not just in looks, but in thinking and behavior. That said, a few did try to help Maddy and her cousins in their quest and there were some similariti
Beth
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Synopsis:
“Gripping, mystical and adventurous, young readers will be as hooked as Maddy was the minute she set foot inside that creepy as hell old castle,” Irish World said of The Feral Child.

Maddy, an orphan, is sick of her Irish town, and sick of her cousin Danny, one of the nastiest people you could meet. Mad as hell one evening, she crawls inside the grounds of the castle, the one place she has always been forbidden to go. Once inside, she is chased by a strange feral boy, who she suspects i
Tasha
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Maddy’s parents died recently, so she is sent to Ireland to live with her grandparents. She misses London and her friends dreadfully and doesn’t like her cousins or the town of Blarney. Though she has been told not to enter the grounds of the castle in town, she does anyway one evening because she is so angry and just doesn’t care. She stays longer than she means to when her grandparent’s dog George runs off. It is then that she meets a strange boy. That same boy returns to her house later, tapp ...more
Jessica
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, middle-grade
It's been a while since I've read a middle grades book and this one is set in Ireland so it seemed like a good idea...plus I'm going to Ireland on vacation so it seemed a doubly good idea. Too bad this book was just ok.

Maddy is a typical character - angry girl whose parents die and she must overcome her angst for the survival of her loved ones and self. Pretty basic but always a good plot line in general. The problem with this book though is that I never felt a real connection with anyone. Maddy
Liviania
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE FERAL CHILD is a story of imagination, loyalty, and bravery inspired by Irish folklore. Orphan Maddy lives with her grandparents, and has been acting out some (understandably). When she first encounters a strange boy in the woods, she doesn't know what's happening. But when he kidnaps Stephen, the toddler next door, she sees him for what he is: a faery.

Maddy sets out to save Stephen accompanied only by her dog and her Grandpa's stories, but her cousins join her. (They're a bit over their hea
Nilsson
Maddie seemed hateful when she should have been in a perfectly jolly mood. Leastways I'm sure most people would be if they got into a Fairy Mound, but to each their own.
Elisheva Rina
Typical fairy story of "unlikely" heroine venturing into Fairyland to save kidnapped child.
Reeka (BoundbyWords)
As seen on my blog:

Dear The Feral Child: While reading you, I was, quite possibly, the most terrified I've ever been while reading a book. Seriously, this book is intended for the 9-12 age group!? 9...to 12?!! I had nightmares. Legit, real, there's a horrid monster at my window, NIGHTMARES. But The Feral Child was a fantastic book, a fantastic, action-packed, gem of a book.

I've grown quite intensely fond of Irish folklore, and this book fit perfectly into that new found obsession. The Feral Chi
Keeley
3.5 for this book. I'm torn. I enjoyed it so much up until the big fight scene and then something about the writing seemed off and it took me out of it. The very end was a nice wrap up, but it was that one chapter that just didn't flow as well as the rest of the story.

Maddy is a girl that lives with her grandparents in Blarney Ireland. She was living in London, but both of her parents were killed in an accident so she moved to Ireland to live with her grandparents. Maddy hasn't been happy since
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
First Thoughts: An interesting fantasy story for Middle Grade readers.

The Feral Child is about a young girl Maddy who has had a bit of a hard time. Her parents died and now she has been forced to move from England to Ireland. Ireland is her homeland but it’s not her home and she doesn’t feel like she belongs. Though she doesn’t go out of her way to try and make it feel like home, but she is a grieving child.

She loves to hang out at a castle ruin where there is a mound that is suppose to be a fae
BookLoversLife
Maddy is an orphan and her grandparents are looking after her. She hates it in Blarney and is fed up with getting bullied by her cousin and ignored by her class mates. Her Granddad has always told her to never go into Blarney castles ground after dark. She has an argument with them one evening and decides to go into the grounds anyway. There she meets a weird boy who tries to get her to go with him. She is freaked and runs away from him.

Later that night she hears a scratching at her window. When
Kysha
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this review copy from NetGalley*

Oh no not another modernized/retold fairy tale! Ugh!

Wow was I wrong. I really enjoyed this tale. It is not really a retelling or a modernization. It just takes a contemporary girl and throws her into the fairy world she has always heard about.

From Goodreads: Maddy, an orphan, is sick of her Irish town, and sick of her cousin Danny, one of the nastiest people you could meet. Mad as hell one evening, she crawls inside the grounds of the castle, the one p
Anni (Tea in the Treetops)
A wild and relentless story about Maddy and her cousins on a perilous quest to rescue Stephen from the Winter Queen’s court. It’s been a while since I picked up a middle-grade book so I was looking for an exciting one, and The Feral Child certainly didn’t disappoint – this dark faery tale had me hooked!

Thirteen-year-old Maddie tragically lost her parents in a car accident and has been sent to Blarney in Ireland to live with her grandparents. She hates it there, isn’t getting on with the local ki
Bruce Gargoyle
Haiku review at: http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress...

I received an egalley review copy of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Moody, damaged adolescent scorned by family and friends finds a secret power and goes on a heroic quest to right a wrong when no one else will step forward, finding redemption and friendship along the way.

While that sounds suspiciously like a plot that has been done to death - and I think we can all agree that
Sarah Fairbairn
Going off the synopsis I thought I was going to love this book, but sadly I wasn’t as enchanted as I expected to be - Never the less it was a sweet fast paced easy read. The fae in this story are not sparkly wish granting flower hugging sweetie pies and therefore probably more believable.

After losing both her parents Maddy, the 10 year old protagonist, ends up living in Ireland with her elderly grandparents. Maddy has two cousins that join her on her adventures; Roisin was lovely, but Danny was
Cheryl M-M
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is reminiscent of the Iron Fey by Kagawa. Young girl sets off on a rescue mission and has to deal with an evil Fae queen.
Although suitable for younger readers there are some creatures and scenes that may be a little too vicious. Then again these are the Fae of myth and folklore and not the dust sprinkling kind.

Maddy is the perfect vessel for future faerie assaults and possible friction between the real world and the Fae world. Her inner anger and desire to be with her parents consumes her fro
Adele Broadbent
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Maddy is fed up. She hates living in the tiny Irish village of Blarney with her grandparents and her annoying cousins, after losing her parents in an accident. She feels angry at everything that has happened to her and believes the only interesting thing is the castle that brings tourists to the village. Her Granda tells her stories of faeries and other creatures and the ‘rules’ she must remember if she ever meets one, but Maddy scoffs at him – until she meets Sean in the castle grounds. He look ...more
Victoria
I admit that this book first caught my attention through its title (I have a deep fondness for feral children in literature - though this has nothing whatsoever to do with them), and kept it through its premise of a blend of Irish mythology and modern setting. It’s more of a middle-reader story than young adult with its heroine and narrator, Maddy, thirteen years of age. She lives with her grandparents in County Cork after the death of her parents. Maddy is an angry child, yet sympathetic. And h ...more
Bungle Midnight Reads
I rather enjoyed this tale and will happily tell my customers about it once the book hits the shelves.

We are taken on an exciting journy with Maddy as she enters the Mound into the fairy world to save a little boy that has gone missing. With her cousins in toe the three don't have long to save the boy and what is serious for them, becomes a game for the fairies.

Golden's writing style is delicious and I happily devoured the world she has created. Her attention to detail is exciting and the chara
Emma
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
A brilliantly imagined world of terrifying creatures, some with intent to harm and others willing to aid in a quest to recover a lost child.

I really enjoyed this and would have given it more stars if I felt I had not read stories that seem so similar to this, time and time again. The attention to detail throughout is wonderful as Che Golden takes us from the streets of Blarney, a quaint Irish village, to the shores of the world of Fae, a dangerous place slowly freezing through an endless winter.
Corina Marian
Ab exciting ride through a world of mits
Leigh
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Feral Child is a quick, action-packed, nightmarishly, good read that weaves old Irish folklore with a modern day twist.

After Maddy's parents died, she has come to live with her grandparents in a small Irish town. Maddy wants to get her old life back, her parents and London, but most of all she wants to get away from some of her cruel family members who think she is a burden. The old castle grounds seems like a good escape until Mad
Library Lady
Oooh, this was a hard one for me. I LOVE faerie stories and I certainly don't mind them when they're dark. But this was just so dark! It was made darker by Maddy's story and how sad she was about her parents' death. Many of the faeries were ones that I hadn't heard of, and surprisingly, not all of them are Irish. (This is according to an encyclopedia of faeries that I own.) I also couldn't find any mention whatsoever of Sean Rua online or in my encyclopedia despite the author's claim that he is ...more
Kelly Sierra
The Feral Child by Che Golden is an inventive twist on fairy tales. Maddy is an orphan living with her grandparents in Ireland. Dealing with the recent death of her parents, uprooting from London, and having her cousins and aunts make her feel unwelcomed are not the only issues that Maddy has to deal with; on top of everything else she is dealing with fairies. After a night excursion in an abandoned castle Maddy encounters a fairy that steals children and replaces them with changelings. She coul ...more
Ayah
Maddy's journey will take you another part of this world ; a place fantasy, fairies, evil, reality are all blended to give you this fascinating book.

Although this supposed to be a Middle grade book, I was trapped in this world of fantasy and dangers. However, i think this might not be a bedtime story for children; it sometimes get kind of spooky, but not like horror movie. It is perfect for children, but not before sleep.

One of the things i enjoys is the character development of the Book's mai
Claire Muncaster
Once upon a time, I saw this really cheaply with about 10 copies, and my parents informed me there was a book about me. If you see it, it may be best to get all of them, lest there be no more to be found. Didn't know it was a trilogy. Even better!!

Maddy used to love faerie tales, but now she's scornful of them.. It's a pity Che (can't pronounce her name) Golden isn't more well-known. I wonder if she named her main character after a certain folk-rock singer??

Faeries with blood-filled eyes, long
Alysa H.
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A very nice entry into the Faerie genre, this features an unusually, refreshingly cynical protagonist in Maddy. Even once she discovers that the fae are real -- because she is victimized by one, and not because she's the kind of kid who has always believed -- she responds in a believable way, and with a wonderfully sharp BS detector, to her supernatural situation.

This was not necessarily the kind of Middle Grade book that will hold the interest of a well-versed adult reader -- just a bit too muc
Michelle K. *Get off my lawn!*
For nearly 2/3 of the book, this book seemed like the author just lifted passages from Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel and simply paraphrased them, sometimes very badly. Things got a bit better after approx. 2/3 (chapter sixteen), though, when the book seemed a bit more inventive and original.

The plot seemed slow to get started and quick to end, considering the short length of the book. There wasn't much character growth; a little, but
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
maddy 1 3 Jun 17, 2015 06:22PM
  • Stone Song (Cold Iron, #3)
  • Oak & Thorns (The Wild Hunt #2)
  • Baby's Got Bite (Take It Like a Vamp, #2)
  • Sword of Light (Pendragon Legacy, #1)
  • The Traitors
  • Weaver's Folly (The Shadowspinner Chronicles, #1)
  • The Stolen (An American Fairie Tale, #1)
  • Dirt (The Dirt Trilogy, #1)
  • Lost Children of the Far Islands
  • Northwood
  • The Halcyon Bird (The Demon Catchers of Milan, #2)
  • The Prince (A Wicked Trilogy, #3.5; 1001 Dark Nights, #85)
  • The Secret Box (The Secret Box, #1)
  • Keeper of Reign (Reign #1)
  • Fish Out Of Water
  • Fiona's Luck
  • The Broken Heart Diet
  • Lilliput

Feral Child Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Unicorn Hunter
  • The Raven Queen (Feral Child)