Start by marking “The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)

The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  274,937 Ratings  ·  18,746 Reviews
Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world.

A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord
Published March 30th 2010 by Gollancz (first published July 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Empire, please sign up.
Jason Wood I don't know why, but anytime I read one of Sanderson's novels, I picture it as an anime in my head ... because of the in-book art style maybe? I…moreI don't know why, but anytime I read one of Sanderson's novels, I picture it as an anime in my head ... because of the in-book art style maybe? I don't know but I've been begging for some japanime studio to pick up one of his books and turn it into an anime mini series.(less)
Rodzilla Depends. Sex and language? None if I remember. But there is strong violence that gets much stronger through the series.

It's always struck me as weird…more

It's always struck me as weird that people worry about their little tween or teen angels encountering some mild swearing or sex, at a level they inevitably encounter in school or from friends, but are OK with horrific violence (we're talking vivisection).

My wife is a developmental psychologist: the research shows that exposure to serious violence isn't developmentally appropriate for kids younger than teens, and is controversial even for younger teens. Modest sex and language are harmless to the development of a tween or older. But I get that people with certain world views find sex and language horrific, and violence to be routine. I just question that, is all.

Remember folks, the biggest variable is your kids' development is the friends they hang out with, not some book they read.(less)

Kat O'Keeffe
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOKTALK HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-XEW...

Just as I expected, this book was FANTASTIC. The story, the characters, the world, the magic system--I loved it all! It was a wonderful first book in a series--satisfying on its own, yet there's still plenty to explore in future books (which I will definitely be reading soon!)

Really, the only somewhat negative thing I have to say is regarding all the hype. While I definitely think the praise is deserved, it did leave me with very very high e
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Sometimes, I revisit a book I had loved ages ago, only to tell myself "What the actual fuck was I thinking?! This book is crap!!!!! Oh young Khanh, you were so dumb :("

Thankfully, this was absolutely NOT the case for this book. I appreciated it much more the second time around. It could be that it just took time for me to appreciate the book. Or maybe it just glows in comparison to all the crap I had been reading (2.5 average rating last year, baby!). Either way, I ain't complaining!

First, the b
Benjamin Duffy
I can't remember being this violently conflicted about a book in quite some time. There are some areas where it's just so well done, with the author absolutely nailing it, and then others where I found myself grinding my teeth in frustration. I'm going to abandon my usual practice of writing short, pithy reviews and just drunkenly ramble on a few things here. (Still no spoilers, though.) That OK with y'all?

Language. About two and a half chapters into this book, I found myself asking, "Why does t
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
WOAH. That was a crazy epic adventure full of fantastic characters and action packed madness! It definitely lived up to all the hype for me. :)
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
6/21 Re-reading...

Thank the Lord Ruler I finally crawled out from whatever rock I was living under and finally decided to read this book.

description

Because.

It.

Was.

So.

Fucking.

Awesome.

description

I have been telling myself for years that I should try and branch out from just romance, paranormal romance, UF romance, sci-fi alien smut and the occasional murder mystery or biography (not that there is a damn thing wrong with my beloved romance, but just to challenge myself to try something new) and attempt to tackle a
Christine Riccio
MISTBORN WAS SO GOOD GAHH HERE'S MY BOOKTALK: http://youtu.be/S9kgwYQ6MPs
Clau R.
I'M NOT OKAY I'M STILL CRYING.

On to read the next book!
Chelsea Humphrey
Allomancy. The mystical power held by the nobility, granted to them by the Lord Ruler some thousand years before as a reward for their loyalty.

Readers have been urging me for years to pick up anything by Brandon Sanderson, and after browsing his books I knew that Mistborn would be the first world I wanted to enter. Opportunity arose, and I was able to read this along with two other Goodreads friends, which made for a much more exciting experience than if I had gone it alone. We were able to bou
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I hate everyone.

You: Everyone who?
Me: Yes.
You: Eh?
Me: Leave me alone. I don't want to talk about it!
You: *backs away slowly*
Me: IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. *sobs*

Are you one of them? Are you? Did you rave about MISTBORN and convince me it was one of the BEST fantasy series ever? You can't believe I haven't already read it--I'm going to LOVE it. Hmm? DID YOU?!

Then you, friend, are whom I hate.

As for you, Mr. Sanderson . . . I TRUSTED YOU.

I collected your clues and gathered your h
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge #4: A Book Involving a Heist
(re-read)

I stand by my rating! This book is FANTASTIC but just not quite a 5-star read for me. I'm really glad that I took the time to read my physical copy this time around (I speed-read most of the book on audio the first time I read it) because I feel like I grasped the story way better. I feel sufficiently re-capped now so I can finally read book 2!

first read in 2014

*4.5*

So good oh my godddddd
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I forgot that I did a re-read on audio of this a couple of months back! Thank you to my friends who out of the blue liked my old review and reminded me. I checked my Overdrive and the next one is going to come through soon for my re-read. 😊 I still feel the same about the book because it's freaking awesome, I'm just not sure about the audio. I don't think I will get it from Audible. It's okay I guess. Anyway, the old review is below and nothing has changed

Old Review

www.melissa413readsalot.blogs
Petrik
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic/high fantasy fans
The beginning of the trilogy that sparked my love for reading fantasy novels.

It’s been exactly one year ten months since I first joined Goodreads or started reading The Final Empire, September 1st, 2016 to be exact. This is an extremely important book for me and the more I tried to explain why the harder it felt to come up with something other than saying the cliché phrase that “I absolutely love this book”. The reason on the significance of this trilogy for me will have to be postponed until I’
Cait • A Page with a View
4.5 stars. I kept stalling on reading this because so many people told me I'd love it. I was worried the hype would be a letdown, but nope... this was SO GOOD.

The last half was AMAZING and feels like a new favorite book, buuuut I honestly didn't get into it until around 40%. There's a lot about Allomancy and I wasn't entirely sure that I cared just yet. Parts dragged for me but I kept reading because I loved the characters.

But the last half of this book is so intense and heartbreaking and brill
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Oh my gosh. I have tears in my eyes. This was by far one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.

I don't even know how I'm going to function enough to give this a worthy review. Brandon Sanderson, you have rocked my world.

Seriously, if you want to try a high fantasy but you want to avoid those long/boring/depressing series - give this a go. I'm just going to point out all the things that made this a great read for me - but I'm not going to go into too much detail. I read this book without kn
Mark Lawrence
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an odd one for me. I've seen an enormous number of opinions about Sanderson's books on the fantasy forums I hang out on, the great majority favourable. I was interested to see what it was that had sold so very many books and got such an incredibly high average score on Goodreads.

The opening was strong and engaging. Then I started to falter. For most of the book I didn't think that I would be giving it 5*. I started to worry that I might have a legion of Sanderfans on my case :o

I think
Chris
It reminds me of Ocean's Eleven meets The Italian Job, but set in Mordor after Sauron has ruled for 1000 years or so. In many fantasy stories, a dark lord is rising and it is up to our heroes to defeat him before that happens. In this, the Dark Lord is already set in place as the status quo and the heroes have to motivate others to want a change.....Yet there is a noble class of The Lord Ruler's flunkies who will need to be scammed and robbed along the way, to finance this big revolt.....I love ...more
Kogiopsis
Note to self: You are no longer allowed to bring books this good on family road trips. It makes you antisocial. You ignore the great views outside the car. You resent being torn away from the book to spend time with family, and when you are you babble incessantly about how awesome it is and how everyone would like it and how cool the magic is and how great the characters and on and on and on until your family is probably sick of you. And then, even after an eight-mile hike in the desert when you ...more
❄️Nani❄️
MOTHER. FUCKING. FANTASTIC.
The writing, the story, the characters, the world, the magic, the battle scenes. All fantastic!

_ A beautifully intricate plot that includes, that's right!... A heist! (A heist?) Anyway, if that alone isn’t a reason enough, I don’t know what is. 👌
_ The most badass thief among thieves who’ll also, without a doubt, steal your heart along the way. A criminal mastermind who could pull off the impossible. *Gushing* *GUSHING* 😍
_ An unlikely heroine who's aware of her weaknes
Bookdragon Sean
This is an epic fantasy series and The Final Empire, the first book in the trilogy is, in itself, epic. A world oppressed by a dark ruler sees a thieving group take upon the mantels of heroes. This, along with the help of their mystical power, Alomancy, determines the fate of the Mistborn. If anything, Brandon Sanderson certainly knows how to write alarmingly cool books.

Awesome magic system

Alomancy allows the wielder to burn metals, inside themselves, enhancing their physical abilities such as
Ginger
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This book was wonderful and fantastic and amazing! It’s one of the best fantasy books that I’ve read. I hope I can do this book justice with my review. So bear with me while I ramble away.

The main character of the book is Vin, a street orphan who has never known friendship or trust, not even from her own family. She’s a member of a thieving crew in the criminal underworld of the empire. No one can be trusted and greed overrules any sort of loyalty. But her hesitancy of trusting others begins to
Dorreh
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
I want this to be my first summer read, The Love Interest certainly doesn't count.

SPOILER ALERT!

You know, when a book leaves you feeling dead inside?
No? Then you obviously haven't read The Final Empire!!

“He smiled despite the grief he felt at the deaths of his men;
he smiled because that was what he did.
That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler
and to himself that he wasn't beaten.”

"Survivor of Hathsin," it said."You promised me a fight."
Kelsier flares his metals. "I never said we were d
Sana
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sana by: Literally everyone
Never in my life have I ever felt an incredible amount of disappointment that this book gave me. I'm literally so fucking bitter and salty that I didn't enjoy this hyped as fuck book that no one has ever written a single negative review for.

I'M SEETHING. I WANTED TO LOVE THIS ONE SO MUCH. But the amount of boredom and info dump I encountered in the beginning of this book ruined everything. (view spoiler)
Markus
"He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it."

A thousand years ago, a young and noble hero arose from rural obscurity into being hailed by Terris priests as the prophesised Hero of Ages. The nations and armies of the world were united beneath his banner in an effort to challenge the Deepness, the mysterious force of darkness threatening to engulf the world. All hope was pla
Jessica
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
See my full discussion (with GIFs :P) at www.priceiswong.com
Caitlin
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am dead.

I bought this book in January after hearing so much hype around it and I attempted to read this book at least 10 times since then. I got about 20 pages in each time before I got intimidated and put it on hold. FINALLY, I decided to pick it back up again and push through and oh my god I wish I had read this book sooner. It was incredible. I honestly have no words to even describe this amazing book. Just wow. The hype was so worth it for this one and I cannot wait to see what is in stor
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

This was my book club's pick of the month!

I can't even believe this was so good. I mean I can, because it's Brandon Sanderson! But seriously... This was an excellent high fantasy novel. I'm going to try to put my feelings into words, but I find I have a harder time writing positive reviews vs. negative reviews.

The World/Magic System:

This novel takes place in a world devoid of most of its natural color. It's a ruthless empire that has built its foundation on the backs
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
“The trick is to never stop looking. There’s always another secret.”

Guys,

what the fuck

I'm 9000% sure that Sanderson practices Black magic. I have never felt SO conflicted over a book in my entire existence. No, I'm fully convinced that this is a product of black magic. Sanderson must've woke up one day and thought,"It's a good day to royally fuck up everyone's life muhahaha"

WELL, Sanderson....

YOU DID A GOOD FUCKING JOB LIKE JHUDHJSKJSIHNANSJKHS WHAT IS LIFE?? WHAT IS AIR?? WHAT IS YOU?? WHAT
Warda
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No words really to review this book or explain to you where it stands on the scale of bookish epicness. And this is after reading it 4 times.
This series will always hold a unique place in my heart. It was my first exposure to adult fantasy and the start of my bookish obsession (since before that I didn't read actively for a good 3 to 4 years! *shudders*) as well as fandoms since the Potter days. Not to mention that it's perfect from start to finish. I will love it till death do us part.

Previo
Zain Otoom
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This review will contain unmarked spoilers.
Wow. After five days of intense reading and here I am, baffled at what I just read. It's either I'm in a mood for fantasy or this book was just so darn good, because I did not expect myself to read this book in just five days. It's probably the latter. It's also the reason to why I feel like reading more fantasy!
Anyway, let's talk about this book. So, I have been messaging Warda and giving her my crazy ass theories. And I'm proud to say I almost got ev
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
  • The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • Wings of Wrath (The Magister Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
More about Brandon Sanderson

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You should try not to talk so much, friend. You'll sound far less stupid that way.

- Breeze”