Start by marking “Wanted: One Scoundrel (Bustlepunk Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wanted: One Scoundrel (Bustlepunk Chronicles, #1)

Wanted: One Scoundrel (Bustlepunk Chronicles #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
All suffragette Esme Smith wants is a man. A scoundrel to be precise. Someone who can be persuaded to represent her political views at men-only clubs. As the daughter of the richest man in Australia, Esme can afford to make it worth the right man's while.

Fresh off the boat, American inventor Jed Reeve is intrigued by Esme's proposal, but even more interested in the beauty
Kindle Edition, Short story, 100 pages
Published December 5th 2011 by Carina Press (first published December 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wanted

BrokenTune
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/...

Every now and then I need to try something new. Expose myself to unfamiliar ideas and experiences. Whether in real life or as a reader - though both worlds are of course necessarily intertwined. In reading, I like experimenting with new authors and new genres, new ideas - even points of view that may challenge my own.

Wanted: One Scoundrel is just such an experiment.

I do not generally read romance because - well, unless it
willaful
Esme has big ideas for her Australian city, but being a woman keeps her out of the political swim. So she decides she needs a “scoundrel” -- someone clever and charming and unscrupulous -- to be her front man. Jed is not quite the scoundrel he appears -- but he’s only too willing to play a part that will keep him closer to the luscious Esme.

This seemed a bit of an odd man out in the A Clockwork Christmas anthology: it’s a light story, and the steampunk elements are so mild, I had difficulty tell
Tez
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
In 1895, Esme Smith is the daughter of the richest man in the Swan River colony, if not the whole of Australia. She's campaigning for equality: for men and woman, rich and poor, internationally descended and indigenous. But as a woman, she's not permitted to enter gentlemen's clubs, so she needs a puppet. Enter Jed Reeve, an American who's the perfect scoundrel for Esme to train.

This is more historical than steampunk - the technological aspects seem only as set design, and not plot-centric. This
J.L. Hilton
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This sweet romantic tale lacks "mature" sexual content but it abounds in deep, meaningful themes -- politics, racism, history, family ties, friendships, the effect ignorance and cruelty can have on a community and the positive things good people can do to counter it.

This was part of a steampunk Christmas collection, but to me the steampunk elements felt a bit jarring in an otherwise well-written and interesting narrative. It read like an excellent period piece (which might be due to the fact th
Charlie
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley, steampunk
This one was promising and didn't have the tacky sex scene. I was liking it all the way up until the end? I use a question mark because the story just sort of, stopped. I literally flipped forward and backwards to see if I skipped a page or something. Then, I wondered if there was some glitch in the electronic version. It really felt like the ending was missing. I'm not sure what to think? If this is not a format problem and is truly how the story was written, then it clearly has no ending and i ...more
Tamara
Well, um, that was cute, I guess. It's set in Australia, which is why I read it. Sometimes I notice strangely bare shelves and it bothers me. The historical perspective, technology (very mildly steampunk), plot and characterization are remarkably convenient and lacking all tension, which I think is actually a bit of a flaw - theres never really any conflict. Otherwise, well, cute.
Nicole Hurley-Moore
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved both the sense of Australian history and the steampunk element. The Women's Advancement League has my vote and who couldn't be but entranced by a scoundrel.
Tsana Dolichva
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed here: http://tsanad.blogspot.com/2012/02/re...

The story opens with her realisation that, since her main political opponent has somehow arranged for all political debates to take place at gentlemen's clubs, she needs a male spokesperson to be a figurehead leader. Unfortunately, all her present male supporters are too busy with their own affairs to devote sufficient time to actually leading a political party. So, with the aid of her captain uncle, she set about finding herself
Wendy Cantu
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
The review of Wanted: One Scoundrel by Jenny Schwartz appeared first on The Rekindled Reader.

I really should’ve liked this.

The book has a fantastic start.

Esme Smith is a strong-willed 22 year old, daughter of the richest man in Australia, and staunch supporter of the women’s suffragist movement. She has a problem, however. Many of the political discussions are held at men’s clubs where she can’t participate. She needs a man to advocate for her cause. More particularly, she needs “a well-dressed,

Esme is a fierce believer in equality between the sexes and has set up a political party to campaign for it. She had hoped to lead the party herself but as she is unable to enter the men's clubs where politics is such a hot topic she realises she is going to need a representative. After deciding to hire a scoundrel to spread her vision her uncle introduces her to Jed who he assures her will be perfect for the job. Now Jed isn't quite the scoundrel he first appears to be but he's prepare
Rebecca
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This novella doesn’t feature steampunk technology as much as the other novellas in the anthology A Clockwork Christmas, but I found it to be a romantic read. Esme Smith is the daughter of one of the wealthiest men in Australia, and she’s an ardent suffragette. Unfortunately, she’s not able to enter the men’s clubs where much of the political debate takes place, so she decides to hire a scoundrel to espouse her views where she cannot. Her uncle introduces her to American Jed Reeve, an inventor, a ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Read and reviewed as part of the A Clockwork Christmas anthology; for full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Author’s Website: http://authorjennyschwartz.com/
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, Swan River Colony (?)
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Warm

While this one had more of a historical Outback feel to it than what I normally consider to be “steampunk”, I nevertheless enjoyed it thoroughly. The misconceptions between Esme and Jed were wonderful, and I loved the byplay between them.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I really liked this book. It kept my attention. I liked that it was set in Australia and a focus was on women's equality. For the length, this was well paced and had a good ending. I loved both Esme and Jed. I recommend this for anyone who enjoys a good story (with a little romance and the steampunk elements don't overwhelm- both are a small part of the story).
Sandra
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Part of A Clockwork Christmas. Really cute story about a suffragette and a scoundrel. I loved Esme and Jed, whether they were being sweet, witty, or whatever.
Imelda Evans
Oct 17, 2012
Kristen
Mar 16, 2017
Artifact
rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2014
Alleyne
Jan 13, 2012
May
Sep 15, 2012
Jenny Schwartz is a hopeful romantic with a degree in Sociology and History — people watching and digging into the past. She lives in Western Australia and is working towards her dream of living by the sea.

Contact Jenny via her website: http://authorjennyschwartz.com/

SciFi Romance: Her Robot Wolf
Space magic, shifters and pirates! A starship shaman kidnapped by a bounty hunter must work with him to
More about Jenny Schwartz...

Bustlepunk Chronicles (3 books)
  • Courting Trouble (Bustlepunk Chronicles, #2)
  • Curses and Confetti (Bustlepunk Chronicles, #3)