Start by marking “The Witness” as Want to Read:

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  50,586 Ratings  ·  4,089 Reviews
Daughter of a cold, controlling mother and an anonymous donor, studious, obedient Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking too much at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent to lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

Twelve years later, the woman now known as Abigail Lowery lives alone on
Audio CD, Library Edition, Unabridged
Published April 17th 2012 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Witness, please sign up.

Meg It is definitely worth reading. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It has quite a few twists and turns, and a love interest you can't help…moreIt is definitely worth reading. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It has quite a few twists and turns, and a love interest you can't help but fall in love with.(less)
Jayna No. Nora Roberts doesn't do sequels. She will do trilogies, and back in the day she had a few series.

♡Karlyn P♡

Nora Roberts is BACK!! OK, I know many of you didn’t realize she left, but over the last few years her newer books have not cut it for me.  I found several of her latest stories full of filler and irrelevant content, and the core stories suffered as a result.  But in The Witness the story was  tight, the characters interesting, the romance swoon worthy, and the suspense totally believable.  Everything tied together, just like a great story should!

I never thought romance suspense was Ms Roberts b
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

When I tell people that I read romance, they often ask, "Like Nora Roberts?" I'll confess, I used to scoff at those people. I viewed myself as way hipper or cooler than Nora Roberts... but now that I've actually TRIED her stuff, I'll admit that I was dead wrong.

Nora Roberts can write her ass off.

This book is for fans of quirky, independent women. It is for us geeks and smarties, for fans of sex-positive female characters. It is for lovers of romantic suspense that isn't overly dramatic.

Frankly
Sal
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't get me wrong. This book is great. But it could have been so much more.

Though I haven't read any other books by Nora Roberts, I know she's a romance writer, not crime, or thriller, but I couldn't help wishing this book was a crime/thriller. The set-up to the main plot was really really good, fascinating, but then the rest of the book never reaches that level again.

To be honest, I'm a bit mean giving this two stars, but on a comparative level to the books I would give three stars, it falls
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

It’s hard to deny the talent and mass appeal of Nora Roberts considering The Witness is her 200th book. I mean...wow! That is quite an impressive achievement and a boon for romance readers. I consider myself a fan of hers, and I especially loved her Bride Quartet series and the few J.D. Robb In Death books that I’ve read. Some of her books tend to be a little bit too generic and plain vanilla for my taste, but I occasionally enjoy their comfort lik
Ingela
Written July 17, 2015

4 1/2 Stars - Fantastic listening and a good well told thrilling plot. I'm to be honest surprised, but this NR romance impressed me...much

I bought this Nora Roberts as an 16:18 hrs audiobook (narrated by Julia Whelan) already back in March. I honestly thought I was finished and done with NB-books several years ago, but never say never.

The Witness (from 2012) has got so many happy reviews, and was much appreciated by both Kathleen and Heather as an audiobook. Convinced by fr
MelissaB
Fantastic read featuring one of the best heroines I have seen in a long time. She was so smart and capable, it was fun to see her try to understand how to deal with the friendly people in her new hometown. The hero was such a great personality, he was funny and easy going but had endless patience to get through all of Abigail/Liz's barriers (which she had very good reasons for having). I enjoyed all of this book, parts were very suspenseful and other parts were funny and engaging. Nora Roberts s ...more
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo nr_zps082add22.jpg

Nora Roberts has always been THAT author for me. The author that you know no matter what mood you were in, her books would be just right. But for some unexplainable reason, I have not read one of her books in such a long time. So when I received The Witness as a gift from my wonderful friend, I dove right in. And, as sure as the sun rises in the East, the book was perfect in every way.

First, I want to introduce you to Elizabeth Fitch. She is the sixteen year old daughter of Dr. Susan L. Fitch.
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover Reviews  ❤️
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: Karla
I loved this book! My emotions were all over the place on this one from happy, sad, scared, anticipation and profound sarrow for the heroine.

photo PicsArt_1431674219230_zpskc9rhnzt.jpg

I absolutely fell in love with the strong yet venerable girl/woman and I loved that she finally found someone that she can finally count on. Brooks and liz/Abby have become my all time FAVORITE Nora Roberts H&h...my only issue is that I wish we had more of an epilogue.
Karen Bonilla
WARNING*** Contains Spoilers. I'm a big fan of Nora Roberts but I'm not sure why people gave this book such rave reviews. This book started out with a bang. Elizabeth is a 16 year old genius rebelling against her cold,controlling mother. She meets up with a Russian mafia don and witnesses the brutal murder of a mafia henchman and her teenaged female friend. She ends up on the run for her life. Twelve years later, she moves to a small town and meets and falls in love with the local sheriff, Brook ...more
Karla
4 Stars!
Very enjoyable read by Nora Roberts. Being a huge fan of her In Death series, which she writes under the pseudonym of J D Robb, I wanted to give her other books a try. I found myself totally absorbed in this compelling and intriguing novel. From the exciting beginning, when Liz becomes a witness to a brutal crime, to her transformation into Abigail, loner and security expert, I was drawn to her character and circumstances. The town where she settles is full of interesting ch
Catherine
After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that it has been quite a while since I have read a new standalone book by Nora Roberts. It was a nice change. I have no problem reading about a group of friends or relatives in a trilogy, but it was nice to know that everyone I met in the book existed solely to enrich this book.

One thing I love about this author is the way she sets up the backstory. If you’re familiar with her work then you probably already know that she likes to cut her books into s
Duchess Nicole
While this book took a loooong time to get set up, even the setup part was really good. Elizabeth rebels against her robot Mom (she's not really a robot, but the lady doesn't hug, wear color, or do anything without a schedule) when she's sixteen. That's what teenagers do, and even though Liz is a bit of a mini-robot, she's still a teenager girl who wants to live her own life, not the one her 'mother' picks for her.

This one decision leads to the witnessing of a horrible crime committed by a crim
♥Rachel♥
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, mystery
3.5-4 Stars for the story and writing.

3 Stars for narration. The narrator sounded very young and that was fine when Elizabeth was sixteen, and just okay when she was twenty-eight. Her male voices were okay. The narrator's Russian accent was very good.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I want to thank Shawna for recommending this book to me. In all honesty, I am not a huge fan of Nora Roberts' romance novels, although I do like her JD Robb In Death series. While this book didn't change my opinion of her on convert her to a must-read author for me, I enjoyed this book, and I can see she is a very good writer. Having said that, I don't find her romance style very moving personally. As far as suspense, she definitely works better for me.

This novel feels like an odyssey. It start
Kathleen
4.5 stars, upped to 5 because I keep re-playing it. Lol. LOVE the book and the narrator! (But a few quibbles, listed further below). Great narration by Julia Whelan. What a performance! She transformed the print version into something even more vivid, poignant, funny, and heartwarming.

This is Nora Roberts' 200th book, but I had never read her before. I understand this is outside her normal formula to some degree. I loved it. A feel-good story, despite small-town thugs, big-city murder, corrupt
Kristal
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 stars just because I became so engrossed that I burned the chicken and had to order pizza! This was classic Nora Roberts.

Quick summary --- Liz witnesses a double murder, gets put in protective custody, her safety is compromised and she runs for 12 years. She settles in a small town and Brooks, the local chief of police, and her become involved. :)

Abigail (what Liz is know as now) learns that being alive is not the same as having a life. She finds a man (Brooks) who loves her even after he fin
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The Witness is perhaps Nora Roberts’ best and most successful romantic suspense novel, which is saying something considering the dozens we have to choose from. It’s a long novel, as her romances usually are, but every word is thought-through and every sentence exactly in its place. Nora has a steady, experienced hand fully capable of leading us through decades of backstories and keeping us fully engaged the whole time.

This story starts with an overprotected teen during her first and on
Shelly
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Lexy
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Shortly after beginning THE WITNESS, I wondered if this book was the right match for me. I kept with it and am I SO GLAD I did because this book ended up being another great read by Nora Roberts.

Elizabeth is a star college student, a brainiac with big aspirations and she possesses the natural talent to achieve them. Unfortunately, the dream she is pursuing as a doctor isn’t really her dream. It’s her controlling mother’s plan for her. One day Elizabeth just snaps and fi
Lizzy
The Witness is a great entertainment. There is a controlling mother, murder and a teenager-witness, corruption, betrayal, hiding under an alias and building a new life, constant fear of discovery and romance (it’s a Nora Roberts book, after all). If you are looking for some angst and thrilling moments, it might be just the pick for you.
Carrie
Re-read in audio 10/12.
Narrator: Julia Whelan

Audio version: Julia Whelan was perfect for the characters. She "got" Elizabeth/Abigail! I bumped the rating to 5 stars for the audio version. Still 4 stars for print.

The Witness is a very solid 4 star book. It starts with a bang. The first 100 pages are on-the-edge-of-your-seat riveting. I wasn't at all unhappy when the pace (and my heart rate) slowed to more normal levels for the central 1/2 of the book. While the first 100 pages sets up the suspens
SB*needs low angst books*
I really loved this audio book. The narrator was okay not the best but not the worst either. So she did a decent job telling the story.

The story is about a heroine named Elizabeth and is in hiding as Abigail Lowery due to the crazy events she witnessed. Hence the name of book. While hiding she comes into contact with the small town sheriff Brooks Gleason.

You get the background story of Elizabeth at the beginning of the book. The love story starts with their meeting. I liked that the heroine was
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
Este livro é simplesmente *delicioso*...
Adorei a forma como Nora Roberts transformou uma personagem como Elizabeth, uma jovem adolescente presa pela mãe controladora e possessiva, numa personagem cheia de força e intensa, doze anos depois de ter fugido ao controlo da mãe e a ter escapado a um final trágico nas mãos de um homem atraente, sedutor, mas muito perigoso. Inteligente, mordaz e extremamente cautelosa com todos os que a rodeiam, Elizabeth é agora a nossa Abigail Lowery. Habitante de uma
Pepa
Ahora que espero menos del romance de los libros de esta mujer, la disfruto más. Porque el romance n me ha gustado. Sí, ambos te conquistan, aunque hay facetas suyas que no me terminan de convencer, pero lo que seguro que no hace es convencerme de ese amor tan grande en tan poco tiempo, sobre todo, con la situación que plantea. en ese sentido me deja un poco fría
Por lo demás, el suspense está bien, engancha y aunque me hubiera gustado que fuera un poco menos predecible, la he disfrutado y me ha
Foxfire
Jun 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF for me. I loved the first 25% where the young Elizabeth breaks free from her controlling mother and witnesses a murder.

The next section shows her 12 years later, living a life in hiding. This is where the story fell apart for me.

1. After 2-3 brief conversations, Elizabeth, a recluse who avoids all human contact, and Brooks, a police chief on duty, engage in bold banter about whether to have sex or not. I felt this was totally out of character and unrealistic.

2. In the next scene, we get the
Angie
At age 16 Elizabeth Fitch has a fight with her mom and rebels from the strict atmosphere of home. She does something stupid (makes fake IDs and goes to a club) and disaster ensues. She witnesses a double murder by the Russian mob. Even though she is drunk and sick, she has a photographic memory so she can tell the cops everything that happened. She is placed in Witness Protection but the house is breached by bad cops and her protectors die. Elizabeth/Liz goes on the run for the next 12 years. Sh ...more
Anne OK
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
"The Witness" showcases the creative and imaginative writing talents of Nora Roberts. Just when my faith was beginning to wane, here she comes packing a wallop with her 200th publication infused with originality in a refreshing and unforgettable story.

One minor complaint from my corner of the peanut gallery is that there were a few dangling questions left unanswered. By expanding the epilogue to include a few additional details, the author could have tidied up loose ends and wrapped this one up
Jane Stewart
4 stars. I smiled many times. At the end my feeling was: not a wow, but very fulfilling.

I’ve read 13 books by Nora Roberts. I was averaging 3 stars for her books written in the 1990s. But then I gave 4 stars to Angels Fall (2006) and now to this (published 2012). Is she getting better? I’m surprised. Too many authors seem to tire out or write repeats of the same stuff after a while. Not Ms. Roberts. Maybe I’ve been picking the wrong books to read. But now, I’m going to look for more.

The best
Norma
Reread--great start to the new year! Still an outstanding read!

Wow. For me this was Nora Roberts back to doing what she does best. This is a wonderfully crafted story. While we know the players, the crime and pretty much how it will end from almost page one, this still took me on a great ride. Twists and turns and characters that kept me engaged.

This did have a touch of your typical NR filler (way to much about the gardens and what Abigail liked to cook). But I could completely overlook that. Br
The Reading For P...: September 2017 Buddy Read the Witness by Nora Roberts 11 17 Sep 13, 2017 06:45AM
Difference Between Abridged and Unabridged 2 5 May 22, 2017 11:54AM
What To Read Next? 18 206 Jun 06, 2016 06:01PM
Please suggest a good Romantic Suspense book... 21 90 Jun 06, 2016 05:41PM
Nora Roberts Grou...: The Witness - March 2016 Book of the Month 27 51 Apr 05, 2016 01:33AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #156 The Witness by Nora Roberts 1 3 Sep 01, 2015 08:33AM
  • Delusion in Death (In Death, #35)
  • Dead By Midnight: An I-Team Christmas (I-Team #7.5)
  • On Thin Ice (Ice, #6)
  • Cry No More
  • Sweet Talk (Buchanan-Renard, #10)
  • Snapped (Tracers #4)
  • Last Man Standing (Black Ops Inc., #7)
  • Copper Beach (Dark Legacy, #1)
  • If You See Her (The Ash Trilogy, #2)
More about Nora Roberts...
“She wants to learn how to handle a gun.

Well, I want George Clooney naked in my bed, but I haven't attempted kidnapping. Yet.”
32 likes
“But when two people feel something, they ought to respect that enough to figure it out” 30 likes