Start by marking “Bear Snores On” as Want to Read:
Bear Snores On

Bear Snores On (Bear)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  23,921 Ratings  ·  578 Reviews
Bear's cave fills with animal friends as he sleeps in this classic book from New York Times bestselling team of Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman.

In a cave in the woods,
in his deep, dark lair,
through the long, cold winter
sleeps a great brown bear.

One by one, a whole host of different animals and birds find their way out of the cold and into Bear's cave to warm up. But even
Board Book, 34 pages
Published October 1st 2005 by Little Simon (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Snores On, please sign up.

Donna Davis Absolutely! It's a series of 4 line rhymes, so it won't get old quickly the way books with one or two words per page will. I raised 4 babes of my own…moreAbsolutely! It's a series of 4 line rhymes, so it won't get old quickly the way books with one or two words per page will. I raised 4 babes of my own and am returning to board books as a grandmother, and this is one of the best I've ever seen.(less)

Erin
Dec 08, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
i LOVE this book, but i have to say the subsequent follow-ups were all basically the same. bear gets sick, bear stays up, bear files taxes, and on it goes.
midnightfaerie
Jul 02, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Loved this one today. The kids barely touched their cereal as I read this one. We've read one of these before and they love this bear and his friends. This time was no exception. The illustrations are big and beautiful and make the bear look so cuddly that one of my 2 yr old twins, Merrick, always hugs himself and says "Awww! Hugs!" There aren't many words overall, but I think it could probably be considered a level 1 reading book, as the diversity of the words are evident. Overall, a fun read.
Samantha Penrose
Good rhythm, lots of different voices to invent...a good read aloud book.
Poor bear hibernates right through most of the party that is carrying in right in his own lair. When he wakes up he is a blubbering mess about being left out but is quickly welcomed to join the fun. Unfortunately, soon after he joins the fun, all of his mates fall asleep leaving him wide awake and on his own. Its no fun being the last awake party animal at dawn....come on, who wants to go to denny's for some 4 am breakfast?
Adina Cappell
May 03, 2012 Adina Cappell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is obviously where Lady Gaga gets her best ideas: "The coals pip-pop and the wind doesn't stop.... But the bear snores on."
Said bear learns an excellent lesson on how to deal with missed opportunities (see also "Existential Regret: A Crossroads of Existential Anxiety and Existential Guilt". doi: 10.1177/0022167803259752. Journal of Humanistic Psychology January 2004 vol. 44 no. 1 58-70) While Bear hibernates, his friends have been crashing his cave to party. Bear has the prototypical party
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - While a bear hibernates several animals use his cave to stay warm and have a snack until Bear wakes up and changes everything.
Annotation - This story is a great read aloud with each animal who comes in and tries to be as quiet as possible but bear wakes up and scares them all but they find that he isn't made, he just wants to join in the fun but the animals are so tired they fall asleep on him.
Age appropriateness 0-7
Connection to six early literacy skills
This is great for many d
Aileen
Wilson writes in a bouncy manner where the words jump off the page in anticipation of being read. Chapman’s excellent and effective illustrations portray a clear contrast between the harsh conditions of the snowstorm to the comfortable, warm and cosy conditions of the bear’s cave.

This would be a great book to read aloud to your class especially with the fantastic illustrations the book offers. It’s a simple tale sharing the fun to be had with bear, mouse, hare, badger, gopher, mole, raven and w
Heidi-Marie
I love Wilson's bear books--such cute illustrations. And the stories are the build-on kind that catch kids' attention. Cute ending, albeit sad that poor bear is now wide-awake. He needs that sleep! Or maybe I'm just saying that because I'm exhausted right now. Could work in a storytime for toddler or preschool. Depends on the group size and age you get.

10/1/14 Used in my Autumn theme even though it is a winter book. I made it work by saying fall is the time the bears get ready for hibernating. T
Jocelin
Nov 20, 2011 Jocelin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This story left me a little cold. This story follows bear as he is hibernating. His little woodland friends decide that he should not be sleeping but, having fun. They come in the cave and start to party. He wakes up & gets mad and then he feels bad. He decides to relent and party then when he is ready to party, they are all tired and fall asleep. This story sends a message that it is ok to do something if you want to and never mind the consequences. They made bear feel bad about the fact th ...more
Rachel
This book, available in a baby-friendly board book format, is one of our favorite books for Graeme. The illustrations are beautiful and the text engaging for all of us. During the harsh moments of winter, several small creatures discover the warm cave of a hibernating bear. They hope to settle down in comfort and have a bit of a party by each contributing what they still have to offer, despite the scarce days they're in. Things are going great until the bear wakes up!

This is a fun look at winter
Alana
My godson's father is famed for his snoring... So this was a pretty darn obvious choice as a gift.
It's winter and the bear is hibernating... But that doesn't stop a lot of animals from seeking shelter in his nice warm cave... And having a party! But what will the bear think about all these animals in his cave, eating his food, when he wakes up?
The animals are quite cute and the general storyline slows to a nice pace each time that we repeat "But the bear snores on."
Kim Carlson
Feb 10, 2015 Kim Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a wonderful rhythm. The text refers to many senses, and the illustrations allow the children to feel like they're really in the cave with the animal. I love adding different voices to the animals, and kids ALWAYS love saying along with me, "the bear snores on!" I also love how the bear feels - kids usually expect the bear to feel angry, not left out. Mouse sets a good example by including Bear. It's a poetic, funny book with a great message.
Jeff
Jul 07, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
We have this book as a board book and it is GREAT! The language from the Mouse sipping wee slurps to the Hare burping big burps is evocative onomatopoeia. Add the expressive drawings of a menagerie of animals and you have the workings of delightful warm story that you can savor with each retelling. We've added this one to our growing list of bed time books for my 18 month old daughter's night time routine. A real hoot of a read aloud.
Barb
May 08, 2008 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great board book and no forced rhymes!! I can't stand when authors try to make verses rhyme when they just don't - like JANIS does not rhyme with BANANAS! No matter how many times you try to convince yourself that it does, it just isn't happening!
Not so with this book - not only does it flow but it's nicely illustrated and the story? Endearing and enchanting. A definite hit with the pre-school set - especially those who love wilderness animals!
Danielle
A really great story with wonderful pictures!!! There are a lot of different things that could be done with the story including making or using puppets to help tell the story. We also get to see how friends come together and fix a wonderful meal and share once the bear wakes up! Also I am pretty sure that the children will love pretending to snore just like the bear in the story!
Jacob Combs
I bought this book for my 4 year old son. It exceeded my expectations with its easy prose and simply detailed illustrations.It's a kind story about friends coming in from the cold to gather. "Bear Snores On" quickly became his bedtime favorite.
Megen
Feb 27, 2013 Megen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I like this book because it teaches phonemic awareness and about bears hibernating in the winter time! It has a cute and comical twist to it as well! Also, there is a little bit of redundancy, so the audience can participate as well.
Amanda
Apr 05, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I love this book! It's a good read-aloud for a bear theme, or talking about hibernation, or winter, or just for fun. I've also used it as part of a book pair with a nonfiction book about bears when we talk about the difference between fiction and nonfiction---compare/contrast, KWL chart, etc.
Ashley Treadway
Apr 12, 2015 Ashley Treadway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Ryder's favorite books, and it's fun for me to read, too. He cracks up when bear wakes up. I have it memorized because we read it so much. Love it!!
Kelly Van Pelt
Jun 06, 2012 Kelly Van Pelt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This has always been one of my favorite children's books. I love the pictures and all of the animals.
Laura McLoughlin
Our second Bear book (we got one free in a box of Cheerios). Very cute.
Rece
Dec 09, 2016 Rece rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear snores on
Rece Smith 12-8-16

Deep in the cold winter woods , in a deep dark mysterious cave , lives a giant sleeping bear , and some little creatures are starving and looking for shelter . As they are all cozy and snugged , something they least suspects happens .

WARNING : Spoilers and discussion of essential plot elements follow .

Exposition : Small creatures hungry and freezing from the harsh winters in the woods . They find a cave deep in the woods and they make camp but what is in the c
Donna Davis
Dec 28, 2016 Donna Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and their adults
This was my first Christmas as a grandmother, and naturally I looked for suitable board books for the new addition to the family. I buy books online so I don't have to carry them around, but this was difficult this time, because Amazon won't tell me the whole text of the book. Sure, for a novel I can understand this, but for an infant's book with not much more than a couple dozen lines, it seems stingy to limit the reader to the text of the front and back covers and one other page.

I have to tell
Mairead
Sham took Athena to her first storytime at Oak Park Public Library today! They are experimenting with combined-ages, themed classes this month. Tuesdays' theme is Explore Your World. They learned about hibernating animals and read Bear Snores On, naturally. There was also some singing. Evidently A sat on her own in front of Sham, because he wanted her to be in her own space, and she wobbled over at one point but didn't cry to everyone's surprise.
Mitchell
Good. And wow the copy I got from the library was gi-normous. I've not seen a kid's book that big. And my wife put on a repeat performance - apparently she had done that very book at school that day. In her version the book has a bunch less words and a bunch more sound affects. On a re-read it was hard to get the sounds out of my head. And the cat panicked when the bear sneezed. But quite good enough art and good enough writing. And everyone was friends.
Molly
Dec 12, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This classic picture book is about a bear whose cave fills with animals seeking refuge from the cold as he hibernates through the winter. It has beautiful illustrations and is fun to read. The storytime kids love saying "Bear snores on" repeatedly with me as I read it.
Jessica Simmons
Nov 05, 2016 Jessica Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book to read! I like how everyone makes friends with everyone even though some of the animals seem to be more scary!
J
Nov 15, 2016 J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book about a bear hibernating and all the little animals that find his warm, cozy cave during the night of a blizzard. It's told in rhyme and the artwork is fairly simple.
Mariah
Dec 14, 2016 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story that explained hibernation a little bit. My students really enjoyed the pictures.
Alyssa
Nov 03, 2016 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books.
Dave Lester
Dec 09, 2016 Dave Lester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Bears are very cool and this book by Karma Wilson captures a brown bear as he hibernates in his lair with the snow falling outside. As the bear sleeps, fellow animal friends come into his cave and begin to pop popcorn and brew tea and have other fun as the bear snores away. Eventually, the noise and partying comes to a head and the bear wakes up.

The illustrations are great. The story is funny and engaging. Like the better of Disney animation where all the animals of the forest can be friends but
Baby & Toddler Bo...: The Bear Series 2 16 Jul 15, 2016 05:15AM
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Bark, George
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Old Bear
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book
  • Bats at the Library
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Farmyard Beat
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Chickens to the Rescue (Barnyard Rescue)
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Time to Sleep
  • Bears on Chairs
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bear Wants More