Start by marking “Cocktails for Three” as Want to Read:
Cocktails for Three

Cocktails for Three

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  36,271 ratings  ·  1,144 reviews
Madeleine Wickham, who writes the internationally bestselling Shopaholic series as Sophie Kinsella, has penned an irresistibly dishy and entertaining novel about three savvy young women and the secrets they share over monthly drinks.

Roxanne: glamorous, self-confident, with a secret lover -- a married man

Maggie: capable and high-achieving, until she finds the one thing she
Published March 7th 2006 by Griffin (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Cocktails for Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cocktails for Three

·  36,271 ratings  ·  1,144 reviews

Start your review of Cocktails for Three
Margitte
FROM THE BLURB
Roxanne: glamorous, self-confident, with a secret lover -- a married man

Maggie: capable and high-achieving, until she finds the one thing she can't cope with -- motherhood

Candice: honest, decent, or so she believes -- until a ghost from her past turns up

...'In Cocktails for Three', Madeleine Wickham combines her trademark humor with remarkable insight to create an edgy, romantic tale of secrets, strangers, and a splash of scandal.
The Cocktail Club: Maggie Phillips, or Mrs. Drak
Andrea Guy
This is probably the most painful chicklit book I've ever read. I love when Madeliene writes as Sophie Kinsella, so I thought I'd give this book a go.

Big mistake.

I've had it out from the library for over a month and I'm finally finished with it.

This one was truly phoned in.

Anyone that couldn't guess what Heather is up to or about to be up to almost from the instant she is introduced, isn't paying attention to the story.

Then there are the characters. None of them are what you call great people. M
Kelly
This book was just okay. Honestly, I love Madeleine Wickham when she writes as Sophie Kinsella because the books are light and they usually make me laugh. But this is the second go that I've had with Madeleine Wickham and, even though logically I know it's the same person, I just think that she loses some of her mojo when she's not writing as Sophie Kinsella. This book was a perfect example of that - she had three characters that were okay, but the front says that its "deliciously funny... witty ...more
rebekah
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: sophie kinsella fans
I picked this one up from my friend Dani(new to goodreads) the snippet on the cover proclaims the book to be "deliciously wicked and witty and funny" or something to that effect. Dani gave me her review before lending it out, "it's not deliciously witty and funny but it's pretty good. " I must say, I agree. I am a fan of the Shopaholic books so I thought I would give this book a shot and as I am traveling I needed an easy plane read. It was not as polished or funny(actually I didn't find it all ...more
Janille N G
I am a huge fan of Madeleine Wickham…or rather, I should say that I am a huge fan of her when she writes under her pen name, Sophie Kinsella. That’s right, the author of this little known chick lit. novel is in fact the hugely famous writer of the Shopaholic series, among other awesome stories (shout out to I’ve Got Your Number, my personal favourite!). Although I’ve read almost all of Kinsella’s novels, I had never picked up one of Wickham’s, until a few days ago.

I’ve owned Cocktails for Three
Ciara
Mar 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
maybe it's more of a one & a half star book. i didn't LOATHE it...but i also didn't like it.

the book centers around three friends & colleagues. they all work for a magazine called "the londoner". roxanne is a freelancer who travels the world & writes hotel reviews, as far as i can tell. candice does more investigative reporting, & maggie is the editor. maggie is extremely pregnant & about to go on maternity leave when the book opens. her secret is that she feels woefully unprepared for motherhoo
Bhargavi Balachandran
It's no secret that i love Sophie Kinsella's writing.As a corollary, i assumed that i would like Madeleine Wickham's writing as well.After all,it was by the same author. I wouldn't say i was entirely right. The writing styles are as different as morning and night. Whereas,Kinsella enthralls you with her witty writing, Madeline's writing is more restrained and mature.I haven't read any other Madeleine novel and might run the risk of over-generalizing.

Cocktails for three is about the lives of 3 yo
Love Fool
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Three successful young women in the magazine business meet on the first day of every month for cocktails in a London bar and reveal secrets that could undermine their lives and relationships.

This book reminded me of my friends and I which is maybe why I loved it. I appreciated how each woman was at a different phase in her life and the problems each faced. I highly recommend this book for any age. It was funny and the characters were relatable. Enjoy it with your favorite cocktail.
Gina
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
The book was cute except I can't stand when pregnant ladies drink cocktails. Yuck!
Rebecca
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chic-lit, 2016-reads
Loved the story .. The three friends , their friendship, their issues and the writing. And was surprised at the end to discover that the author was Sophie Kinsella writing in another name.
Donna Craig
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
So—the reviews and blurbs printed on this book really misled me. For example, the book wasn’t, “deliciously funny...witty and wicked.” So, hoping for a funny book, I spent almost 100 pages disappointed. However, I stuck it out because the writing and story-telling are very good. When I finally realized that I was reading a book about friendship overcoming outside threats, and about women dealing with the difficulties of modern life, I realized that I was loving it. The next thing I knew, I was s ...more
An Odd1
Funny quips amid troubles. Not short-lived champagne fizz of ambitious or frivolous rich, more bitter beer of everyday (female) human woes. Outer conversations and inner thoughts both sound real. Situations resolve believably with resources we have seen, no deus ex machina out of the blue. Ordinary working people accept misfortunes, quietly realize truths, move on, bolstered by unconditional friendship (love). "We shouldn't keep secrets or put on acts for each other. None of us should ever feel ...more
Szawanah S
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: english-books
frankly, i dont read this book front to end. i simply skip the pages where Heather are in. i hate the Heather part. even when they first met her. i know that she is up for no good. how stupid for candice to not know it. duh! so i just read the first half of the book, without skipping any pages, then grew tired of Heather than skipped most of Heather part, then resume reading all when Candice realize that Heather was nothing but a scumbag i.e when Roxanne secret lover, Ralph (i forget the name al ...more
Kricket
i think i've read everything sophie kinsella's written, but this is my first foray into madeleine wickham. it is not, as my husband assumed from the title, about a threesome, but about three best friends who meet at a bar once a month for cocktails. each is hiding a deep secret from the others but in the end, they all come out in a cathartic rush of relief and friendship.

as another reviewer pointed out, the cover advertises "cocktails for three" as "deliciously witty and funny." funny it is not.
Jami
As much as I love all the books Wickham writes as Sophie Kinsella, I have found that I just don't like anything she write under her actual name. This book was horribly depressing from the get-go. One character is being taken advantage of by a girl she's trying to help, and you can see where it's all going -- she'll probably lose her job and friends because of it. Another character just had a baby and is dealing with postpartum depression. And the third character has been in a relationship with a ...more
Kimberly
May 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: New moms, alcoholics
Shelves: loaned, chicklit, newmoms
Aidan loaned me this book. I think I may have traded for my Jenny McCarthy collection, though unintentionally. I liked it, then I didn't because it was way too predictable, but now I like it again. It is about 3 friends, one a new mom, one a likely alcoholic who is her boss's mistress and the other being taken advantage of by a blast from the past. ...more
Tinka
This book was a premiere for me. It was my first time reading Sophie Kinsella under her real name, Madeline Wickham and to say I was surprised might be an understatement.

Where she writes with spunk and wit, great humor and engaging characters as Kinsella, as Wickham feels less playful, more restraint and the characters are not as lively. You could say I prefer her style as Kinsella, to say the least.

The book chronicles the lives of three women in their early 30s (they are all the same age right
Novelle Novels
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5 stars
This is my first book with Sophie Kinsella writing as Madeline wickham and I really enjoyed it. Three friends meet up for cocktails once a month and are very different.. Roxanne is glamorous but is with a married man, Maggie is about to become a mum for the first time and cadice is an honest and lovely lady who when confronted with her past struggles. We start with one night at the cocktail bar meeting a cocktail waitress starts a chain of events that changes all three of them.
Heather Zabrowski
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an alright book overall. The story wasn't great and was pretty predictable. The plot gave me the feels of a lifetime movie.
I was loving all of Sophie Kinsella's novels and decided to follow up with her Madeleine Wickham works. This was the first of those that I read, and it set me off to not really planning on reading anymore of her works.
Vedha K
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Stupid Candice and more foolish Roxanne, a doubtful Maggie and a treacherous Heather.
A good for nothing cocktail club and a mildly good setup but awfully crafted story we could sniff after few pages itself.
Heather Alderman
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was looking for a light, quick read and got that, but unfortunately, it was very predictable and I never could connect with the 3 main characters. Skimmed the last half.
Krissi
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I thought the book was just ok. It started out slow but definitely got more interesting towards the middle and end- enough to keep me from putting it down and starting something new.
Helene Passy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bit different to Kinsella’s other work, 3 different main characters, 3 stories, 3 very different outcomes... I enjoyed it!
Kay P
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
“Cocktails for Three" is a fun, little book by Madeline Wickham who you may know better as Sophie Kinsella.
Jean Oram
Have fun read that is really women’s fiction more than chick lit. Three friends go through tough times and this story is about their friendship and how it fails but also perseveres.
Adelyne
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love Becky Bloomwood and the Shopaholic series in general, but Kinsella/Wickham’s standalones have always been of a hit-and-miss for me. I was happy to find quite early on that I did get along with this one – I liked the characters and having the four main girls who were so different and the switching of focus between them made sure that the narrative never got dry. There were some parts of it that were relatively predictable, but others were not and I thought there was a good balance between ...more
Melissa
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Rachel Wolohan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was so disappointed in this book. I really like Sophie Kinsella, but this was my first book under Madeline Wickham. I didn't like any of the characters. The plot took a very different twist than I was expecting from just judging it by the cover.
Katie
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Books by Madeleine Wickham (the real name of Sophie Kinsella) are the types of books you read when you're lying in the sun on holiday. You read it because it's easy and quick and, frankly, because it's the only book you packed.

I predicted what was going to happen very quickly and I was right. I wanted to be shocked or, at the very least, feel something but it was just all so ... blah. The characters in Wickham's books are always rich with pretentious names (I mean noone is actually called Giles)
Kelly
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Cocktails for Three" is one of those books that was just made for summer.....read it by the pool while sipping a strawberry daquiri. Reading any book by Madeleine Wickham is wonderful for zoning out...mindless entertainment with a heart. You may know Wickham better by her pen name, Miss Sophie Kinsella, the queen of British chick lit.

This is the story of three best friends...each one with a secret. There is Candice, with a childlike innocence and a terrible past; Maggie, a new mother who does n
2015 Reading Chal...: Cocktails For Three by Madeleine Wickham 1 13 Jan 30, 2015 08:20AM

• Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  • The Undomestic Goddess
  • Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)
  • Can You Keep a Secret?
  • Secrets of a Shoe Addict (Shoe Addict, #2)
  • Shopaholic and Sister (Shopaholic, #4)
  • Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2)
  • Queen of Babble Gets Hitched (Queen of Babble, #3)
  • Remember Me?
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • Jemima J
  • The Other Woman
  • Queen of Babble in the Big City (Queen of Babble, #2)
  • Girls' Night In
  • Little White Lies
  • Twenties Girl
  • Bookends
  • Chasing Harry Winston
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more