Start by marking “City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)” as Want to Read:
City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  354,784 Ratings  ·  17,659 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.

What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The
Paperback, with Bonus Story "A Dark Transformation", 554 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about City of Lost Souls, please sign up.
Omshi Well , I am 13 and I read this book last week.
Cat :) Noo!!! You will not be able to understand the plot very well unless you read the entire series from the start. I think you'll enjoy it more if you…moreNoo!!! You will not be able to understand the plot very well unless you read the entire series from the start. I think you'll enjoy it more if you read from the beginning :)(less)

Kiki
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shut-ins
Recommended to Kiki by: A shut-in
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Here's the deal.. this book was SLOW TO THE BONE, but the end result was worth the SLOWNESS. It just took forever and a day to get to the really interesting parts. I definitely liked this a lot more than City of Fallen Angels. I'll admit though after reading TID, nothing will compare to the beautifulness of that trilogy.
Haleema
Beware of spoilers!

I didn't see a point to this book. Clare really should have ended her series at City of Glass. We all know that. Well, all of us who are not fans of Clare's work. However, since this book was 534 freaking pages, I figured that I should talk about a few things.

Clace
So these two are one person. I honestly don't see them as two separate characters sometimes because they are so similar and shitty. We never really get to experience these characters as themselves, rather they are al
hayden
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More reviews at The Teen Bookworm!

City of Lost Souls took a while to digest. All night I could feel it in my gut like deadweight. All the subplots and characters and relationships and the fact that so much was going on made this book hard to break down.

But, finally, I woke up this morning and it all made sense. So, seeing as the book has been split into separate filing cabinets in my brain, I'm going to replicate that onto this review:

The Good:

I felt that Lost Souls was more compulsively readabl
Candace
Where I was disappointed with 'City of Fallen Angels', 'City of Lost Souls' definitely made up for it! I'm glad that I didn't hang it up after the last book and kept pushing forward with the series. This fifth book was full of action and suspense.

This time around, Jace is under the influence of Sebastian, the guy we all love to hate. Clary is kind of along for the ride, hoping she can break through to Jace. Meanwhile, Sebastian just keeps getting creepier and creepier.

For the most part, Jace s
Kitty

Alec.

*sigh*

Gurl, we need to talk. No, you know what. This is not your fault. This is the author's fault. Before I go on I should say MAJOR FUCKING SPOILERS!!!!!

So, I briefly decided posting a full review where I was going to talk about the series as a whole and all the characters that had these little aborted attempts at plot points. But I think it's time to come clean and confess that somewhere between here and the last book everyone else (with the possible exception of Izzy and Simon)bore the
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
*sobs* May!?!? 2012?!? May 2012?!?
*sobs some more* This cannot be! Really! It's like....too long! Too, too long!
I NEEEEEEEEEEED THIS BOOK! How can Cassandra Clare do this to me--ahh, I mean us! I need this book, like yesterday!

I don't know how I'm going to wait this long!

*sobs, wails, bawls some more.....*
Emelie
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update 12-05-21, finished reading: Wow. Absolutely 'wow'. Spectacular. City of Heavenly Fire, I'm coming for you...

Before reading CoLS (and this applies to CoHF as well)
How. Am. I. Supposed. To. Wait. A. Whole. Year. For. This. One? !!!!!!!!! I want it so badly, right now!

If - and it's not very likely to happen, but IF - the world ends in 2012, and this one has not come out, then I'll be so pissed that even the zombies, or demons, or Mother Nature, whatever, will shit their pants in fear of me.
Soumi
By The Angel!

Do I actually need to review? Holy Hell! What am I gonna write?

“Kill me, little sister. Kill me and you kill Jace, too.”

Let’s start with the story, as it picks up, where City of fallen Angels left off, the resurrection of Sebastian. As he binds him to Jace, the two became irrecoverably inseparable, what one feels, the other feels the same, the pain, the joy everything. Jace the one Clary loves, and Sebastian the o ne she hates most, and now they are one. The clave wants to summon e
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Two sides of Jace

photo cropped-jace-and-clary-shadowhunters_zpseafhdrrb.jpg

*Spoilers*

This one was much better than the last one. Lots of action. Jace and Clary still can't catch a break. Really the span of the whole series they are apart pining for each other with like a few weeks here and there that they can actually be together. Teenage angst at it's highest. I really wish she would have let them be together a little more in this series. I understand it's a ya series but if you want them to be this awesome powerfully connected couple that you just
Saniya
Dec 21, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shadowhunter
FUCK. GOD DAMN AMAZING TRAILER! I can't, I just can't breathe right now. O.O <3
"And I am going to burn down the world."
*Crying* My Man, my man. :'D

Scrolling down as usual on facebook. Lalala, nothing interesting.
*Cover passes*
lalal -Dramatic pause- "WTH? Did I jus-" *Scrolls up!*

"OMG OMG OMG" The cover! xD <3
(LOL! I just love the man in the pic)

Ok. Maybe, just maybe I was expecting Magnus or Alec... but this rocks too! GOD! They look so awesome!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
If I could have won the lottery for every time I wanted to smack people in this book, I would have an infinite amount of money right now. But, I digress.

Welcome to the world of magic and twats. Just kidding :-D I love all of the characters even though I want to smack them at times.

I don't care what anyone thinks but I don't think that Simon and Isabelle should be a couple. I know it has the whole, let's everyone in the group be with someone vibe going, but I just don't see them as a couple. Ca
Anniebananie
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Sterne ⭐

Na wenn das mal keine positive Überraschung war 😱
Für mich das beste Buch der Reihe, was vor allem daran liegt, dass Clary hier mal nicht als hirnamputierte Hohlfrucht auftritt. Ich konnte ihre Handlungen diesmal größtenteils wirklich nachvollziehen.
Auch unseren "neuen" Bösewicht/Gegenspieler mag ich lieber als Valentin aus den früheren Bänden. 👌🏻
Es gab auch wieder viele tolle Malec-Momente obwohl ich ja vor allem Magnus und seinen Humor sehr in Cassie's Büchern zu schätzen weiß.
Soga
Pearl Angeli
Cassandra Clare did a wonderful job once again!

City of Lost Souls, the fifth book of The Mortal Instruments series, picks up where City of Fallen Angels left off. I don't want to give anything away by describing the things that have happened here, but the series already becomes more and more interesting. This sequel is actually a much better response compared to the City of Fallen Angels because all the events here were pretty much powerful and more remarkable.

I love how it started off as a bang
Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful)
TOP 5 SNARKIEST MOMENTS IN City of Lost Souls.

description

In my review of City of Fallen Angels (TMI #4), I listed The Top 5 Angsty Issues. Now it’s time to rank my favorite part of the TMI series: The Snark. So, let’s get to it, shall we? Listed below, are the Top 5 Snarkiest Moments in City of Lost Souls (TMI #5), from least to most snarktastic. Enjoy!

#5. What Do Werewolves & Frat Boys Have In Common?

A lot, actually! As the posting at The Praetor House dormitories proves.

“PRAETOR HOUSE RULES

No shape-
Whitney
I don't think I can even write a review for this just yet.

Oh my God. SO MANY FUCKING FEELS, I CAN'T EVEN.

PAGE 510-11. KILL. ME.

Lord, help me get through this 2-year wait for Heavenly Fire.

Photobucket
James Trevino
Much, much better than City of Fallen Angels. But again, it takes a while until things get going. The final chapters are great, but the middle part of the book... ugh, man, oh, man. Basically the reason why this is a 4/5 and not less is because of the ending and the chapters involving Simon.

The whole Maia/Jordan thing though was so boring and endless. It read like filler and it felt like filler. The book could also do without Clary dramatizing about every single detail in her life in every frea
Gemma
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINAL REVIEW:

People keep leaving me annoying comments about how if I have nothing nice to say about the new Mortal Instruments books, then I "don't have to read them!" With all due respect, that opinion is wrong; I really do have to read them. No matter how much my loathing for City of Fallen Angels made me disgusted with Clare's decision to write a second trilogy, I have to finish these books. I've invested my time, money, energy and love (yes, love) into them, and that is why I keep reading. B
Bangadybangz
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow I finished this a while ago! Guess I forgot to share my thoughts...

Um... It was good? Lol
Not my favorite of the series, but I've heard CoHF is amazing, so I'm pumped to read that soon! :D
May
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
NO PUEDO MÁS. QUIERO LEER EL SEXTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
P
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“I never cared,” he said. “I wanted you anyway. I always wanted you.”

This book is a cliché. CoLS is one of the few books I know what will happen next. Jace was turned into a bad guy by Sebastian, and he convinces Clary to join him and her evil brother. I found out that this kind of story used to happen before, it's not a new thing to set our MCs apart with this bullshit to prove their true love. However, I still love CC's writing, it's intriguing and beautiful as always.

“You may have the wor
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I managed to stop complaining about this book long enough to finally finish it. Although I do believe that City of Lost Souls was better than its predecessor, it wasn't that much better. I'm still disappointed in the direction that this series decided to go and I still stand by what I said before about the last three books being completely UNNECESSARY.

This series was called THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS for a reason. Three instruments for each of the three books for the first half of the series. Ci
Angelyn
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read the letter, here it is:

To my son,

If you are reading this letter, then I am dead.
I expect to die, if not today, then soon. I expect that Valentine will kill me. For all his talk of loving me, for all his desire for a right-hand man, he knows that I have doubts. And he is a man who cannot abide doubt.

I do not know how you will be brought up. I do not know what they will tell you about me. I do not even know who will give you this letter. I entrust it to Amatis, but I cannot se
shreya
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
funny gifs

Ok guys, the OMG's and updates had to go because the humongous length of this review. You don't have to read it all if you don't want to, lol. ;D

The official blurb:

“The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed
Cait • A Page with a View
I'm so glad that Alec, Magnus, Isabelle, and Simon are finally stronger characters! I would totally give this book more stars if they were the only characters.

I'm still not into Clary & Jace and am somehow even more annoyed by them now than I was during that ridiculous incest storyline. Everything just seems like a plot device to keep them apart for the sake of angst and I really don't care! Like first they're siblings, then he thought he'd hurt her, now he's not himself, then he's burning
Rinoa Heartilly
WHAT??? Three motherfcking stars??! is probably how those of you who know of my special relationship with Clare's books are going right now. Hell, I'm more surprised than anyone. But let me explain.

There are two facts that make me appreciate this book 10 times more than all of the other ones in the series combined:

1.) It follows COFA which is the absolute low point of the whole series. Lets be serious folks, it's close to Breaking Dawn bad. Compared to that disaster, COLS was a masterpiece.

2.) S
AMEERA
3/5
The reason to make me give this book 3 stars just for Magnus and Alec's , Simon and Isabelle and the rest just was bullshit
Athena ღ
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Το βιβλίο αυτό θα το παρομοίαζα ως ένα τρενάκι του λούνα παρκ. Τι γρήγορη εναλλαγή συναισθημάτων ήταν αυτή? Απόγνωση, αγωνία, χαρά, συγκίνηση, θλίψη και τούμπαλιν.

Ο μόνος λόγος που βάζω 4 και όχι 5 αστέρια, είναι διότι η Cassandra Clare 30 σελίδες πριν το τέλος πήρε τη καρδιά μου και την έσπασε σε χιλιάδες μικροσκοπικά κομμάτια.

grace
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Re-read) SO MANY FEELINGS
Victoria Hansen
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"I don't care," Clary said. "He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I were missing-"

Mortal Instruments: City of Lost Souls is the fifth instalment of the Mortal Instruments franchise, written by Cassandra Clare. It follows the events after City of Fallen Angels, and focuses on finding the missing Jace, who is now working with Sebastian under a spell. The plot is forced and boring, the writing is dull
Fantastic Books a...: City of Lost Souls 1 5 Feb 10, 2018 07:51PM
Valentine vs Sebastian! 17 58 Dec 15, 2017 01:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: Edition Not Linked Properly? 2 16 Nov 03, 2017 02:41PM
Mermaid Cats in S...: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare 1 1 Nov 03, 2017 11:41AM
Who felt sorry for Sebastian Morgenstern Briefly?? 56 227 Oct 05, 2017 08:02PM
2018 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments #5) 7 154 Sep 07, 2017 04:16PM
Play Book Tag: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare ★★★★★ 1 11 Jul 29, 2017 02:36AM
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Eternally Yours (Immortal Beloved, #3)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3)
  • Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I don't care," Clary said. "He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I were missing-"
"He'd burn the whole world down till he could dig you out of the ashes. I know," Alec said.”
2281 likes
“Basia coquum," Simon said. "Or whatever their motto is."
"It's 'Descensus Averno facilis est.' 'The descent into hell is easy," said Alec. "You just said "Kiss the cook."
"Dammit," said Simon. "I knew Jace was screwing with me.”
1624 likes