Start by marking “Dead Bolt (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Bolt (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #2)

Dead Bolt (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,357 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews

Turner Construction's latest restoration project is a historic Queen Anne Victorian in San Francisco. This time general contractor Mel Turner has to work around the owners who insist on sticking around- along with some ghosts that insist in their own way that the work stops...

The ghosts aren't the only ones standing in the way of the renovations. A crotchety neighbor, E

Published (first published November 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Bolt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Bolt

Betty
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The A Haunted Home Renovation series is a winner. They can be read as stand-alone but the books are better read in order. The Protagonist is Mel Turner, she is recovering from a divorce and her Father has major medical problems. Mel took over the family business of reconstruction and has been running it successfully. Other characters are Dog, a stray that she rescued. Her Father and his disabled friend, Stan. There is Calbel, her stepson from her marriage. Graham, her boyfriend. Olivier the go t ...more
Lesa
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Juliet Blackwell continues her terrific Haunted Home Renovation mystery series with Dead Bolt. It’s not necessary to have read the first book, If Walls Could Talk, in order to appreciate this one. But, why would you want to miss any of the adventures of Mel Turner as she restores houses and tangles with ghosts?

Mel’s latest job is restoration of an 1890s Queen Ann Victorian, Cheshire House, in San Francisco. The project has had a few problems, handprints appearing on the ceiling, deadbolts lockin
SheriC (Portable Magic)
This second book in the Haunted Renovation mystery series was a fun enough, but distressingly heavy on Romance and light on Mystery. There were still some interesting tidbits on historical homes, though. I’m going to try the third book, but if it continues to emphasize goofy love triangles and sexual “tension”, then I’m outta here.

Audiobook via Audible subscription; Xe Sands’ performance is excellent as usual.

Susan
A cute, cozy, ghost story. A young woman who has taken over her fathers construction company in San Francisco has the ability to see and sometimes communicate with ghosts. In this addition to the series there is a murder across the street from a house that she is renovating and there is evidence that it may be connected to her project.

I enjoyed this story but it fell flat for me. Very predictable with a cooky cutter, simmering romance. The narrator's good job helped me to want to finish it.
LORI CASWELL
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was first drawn to this series because I used to build and remodel houses, then I enjoyed these wonderful characters and couldn’t get enough. Mel Turner is a take charge kind of gal, very organized, meticulous and not afraid of much except maybe getting her heart broken. She also has a special gift that at times is as much a curse as a blessing. With traits like these readers can’t help but care about her as we take each step right along with her, up those attic stairs or home to her Dad, Stan ...more
Kristin
I always enjoy JB's books, even when they are not particularly amazing. I do wish she would move her characters' development more quickly though.
Christine
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
This is the second book in the haunted home renovation series. Mel Turner runs Turner Construction and is currently renovating a Queen Anne Victorian. When weird things start happening on the job site the owner is sure that the house is haunted. When their neighbor is murdered, Mel suspects that there is a connection between the murdervand the ghosts.

I am really enjoying this series and am excited to read more in the series. Mel and her father have a great relationship. And i love the relationsh
Linda
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bingo
Enjoyable mystery. I really like Mel and the other characters. This story had a regular murder mystery as well as a ghost mystery and there was more focus on the ghosts than the murder so it was as if she just accidently discovered the murderer. Still very enjoyable and I like the relationship between Mel and Graham and want to see where that goes.
Suspense Magazine
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
San Francisco general contractor Melanie Turner is up to her ears in trouble—of the human as well as the ghostly variety—in “Dead Bolt,” the second Haunted House Renovation Mystery by Juliet Blackwell. I’m not normally a fan of paranormal mysteries, but this one hooked me in right away.
Melanie and her crew have been hired to restore a historic Queen Anne Victorian in San Francisco’s Cow Hollow neighborhood. This is no easy task because the home owners—the Daley family—refuse to leave and demand
Bonnie
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this series if you like paranormal mystery.

The main character, Mel, a general contractor, is interesting and quirky. However, she wears frilly clothes to the job site even though she has “overalls to wear over them if she needed to crawl through grime”. (Please, that is a little over the top.)

She has taken over Turner Construction from her retired dad and is surrounded by a warm non-traditional family and steadfast friends who add to the interest of the story.

Every house has
Andrea
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in this series, I also read the first one. Back in March, after I finished reading “If Walls Could Talk”, I remember not being able to wait for the next one to come out in December. Upon reading the first few pages “Dead Bolt”, I felt like I had read it before… then I realized the previous book had an excerpt of this one in it. Silly me.

It took me a little bit to remember why I had enjoyed these books to begin with. At times, the details can be exhausting if you’re not o
Akhmal Aiman
Took me more than a month to finish this considering my hectic semester.

Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Just like the first book, I think it is a good read. Interesting plot, as always, I mean, come on. Not everyday you read/hear a story about a construction worker who redoes haunted houses, right? If you feel like reading it, you're more than welcome, although some may find it slightly boring. It is a calm read.

The pace of the book was right and I think all the questions I asked myself throughout my reading
Melody
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this series if you like paranormal mysteries with a bit of romance. So far this series is clean. The main character is interesting and quirky. She is surrounded by a warm non-traditional family, fun friends and a cast of interesting extended characters. And of course she sees and talks to ghosts. Sometimes they even talk back. I love the constant bits of facinating trivia throughout the books. There is also a thread of social consciousness without preaching. I love this author ...more
Laura Reading
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books so enjoyed you read it in one sitting if possible.
I enjoy Ms Blackwell's writing style and in this book the way she ended and began chapters kept the story moving quickly. I was even hoping the story might be a bit longer.

If there is a weak spot in the story, it would be near the end where she eluded to malicious activity, enough that you got the idea but she did not fill in seedy details. This does make Dead Bolt a story safe for all age levels.

This can be read as a
Brenda Kirton
This was a good read. I enjoyed the fact that the protagonist is a female general contractor. She is smart and capable. I work for a building supply company, it is not a good idea to underestimate the women in this field.
It was a good blending of the old mystery and the new one. Mel Turner isn't afraid to ask for help with the ghosts she is dealing with. I will be looking forward to the next in the series.
Susan
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2013
I really enjoy this mystery series. Not only does it have the woo-woo factor, it takes place in wonderful San Francisco with all those historic houses. I also find the details of period renovations interesting. The characters are likeable and the stories are fun.

Highly recommend this series to anyone looking for a book that will keep you reading.
Patti
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the character of Mel Turner. She's a responsible, smart, pretty independent general contractor who has recently discovered she can see and deal with ghosts. She has a good support group too; these are not all things you always find in a mystery. I'm glad they're there.

Recommended.
Becky
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
Loved it! No sophomore slump with this one. Great fun paranormal cozy (although less paranormal this time around but hey!)
Glenn Harris
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These Haunted Home Renovation mysteries are remarkably good, with just enough interesting info about the building trades along with all the ghosts.
Etcetorize
I love Juliet Blackwell's writing but for some reason this book was just ok for me. A few hours after I had finished it I couldn't even really remember how some of the loose ends had, or even if they had, tied up.

This may have been partly due to how distracted I was by the complete overreaction that the main character had when her client missed a meeting. Running to the police to report her missing and jumping to the conclusion that her husband had offed her was a bit ridiculous.

Because I love
Pat
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the first in the series, If Walls Could talk. I really enjoyed the story, the Narrator was very good. It was a pretty quick book to listen to, all the same, very good!
Eileen
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series. Not scary, not too romancy, good mystery, love the ghosts.
Amanda Carpenter
************************Spoiler Alert ***********************

I really liked this book. I liked the first book in the series as well, but I liked the continuation of Mel's story with this one.

I like reading about the way Mel is trying to close herself off to men because she was hurt by her ex-husband. I think she is a little unsure of herself when it comes to men after being thrown for a loop by Caleb's dad. However, she is obviously attractive and could probably have any man she wanted if she w
Ariel
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melanie is renovating a historic Queen Anne Victorian in San Francisco but she has some resident ghosts sabotaging the work and a cranky neighbor complaining about the noise. The couple who owns the house insists on living there in the midst of the massive refurbishing. The wife is from Russia and is petrified of the ghosts, she thinks perhaps stopping work would let the ghosts rest.

Melanie tries to research the past of the house but the records at city hall are missing. Something went on in th
Sandie Herron
Dead Bolt, by Juliet Blackwell
Unabridged audiobook read by Xe Sands
2nd in the Turner Construction renovation series

I've read this book previously, and I'm surprised to see that I did not write a previous review. I like to write something if not a complete review as I think of it, just so I record my initial thoughts and/or feelings upon completion.

Briefly, the book follows Mel Turner, current head of Turner Construction, a leading company that renovates old homes in San Francisco to their former
Cathy Cole
First Line: My father always used to say: There's nothing quite like a protracted remodel to test a person's sanity.

Mel Turner's father was right. The renovation of the historic Queen Anne Victorian house in San Francisco is taking much longer than it should primarily because the owners insist upon living on site throughout the entire process.

When strange things begin to happen and Mel begins to see ghosts out of the corners of her eyes, she knows she's got trouble. A grumpy old man across the s
Michelle
Dead Bolt is the second book in the Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series by Juliet Blackwell from Obsidian Mystery.

Book Blurb:

There’s no room at the inn when it’s full of ghosts.

General contractor Melanie Turner’s latest restoration is a historic Queen Anne Victorian in San Francisco’s Cow Hollow neighborhood. Trouble is, she’ll have to work around the owners, the Daley family, who refuse to leave during construction.

But when eerie things start happening around the site, the Daleys threaten to
C.
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If a début novel falls short: Juliet Blackwell, who rescued my interest in both her series, is worth perseverance. I was delighted by this second volume making an exponential turnaround. “Dead Bolt” knocked the ball out of the park. It must take thick skin, to weave your imagination into literature that the public sees and then critiques. I believe Juliet is among the rare, who brave feedback of their writing and make lemonade out of it. It must be how her volumes improve so successfully.

The San
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this book from the publisher for review

Juliet Blackwell's latest in her new Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series, Dead Bolt was a tremendous followup to its predecessor. It's been a year since I read the first book so my memory was fuzzy on the details of the murder mystery there, but it wasn't too important to be totally in the know of it. Characters and events just get mentioned and slightly recapped.

This mystery totally had me guessing from beginning to end! Even though it says t
Is this original?? 4 29 Jan 12, 2012 09:35AM
  • Skirting The Grave (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #4)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Old Haunts (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3)
  • Dead and Kicking (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #3)
  • Ghoul Interrupted (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #6)
  • A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
  • Trouble in the Tarot (A Fortune Teller Mystery #3)
Juliet Blackwell (aka Julie Goodson-Lawes, aka Hailey Lind) started out life in Palo Alto, California, born of a Texan mother and a Yankee father. The family soon moved to what were, at the time, the sticks of Cupertino, an hour south of San Francisco. Walking to and from kindergarten every day she would indulge in her earliest larcenous activity: stealing walnuts and apricots from surrounding orc ...more
More about Juliet Blackwell...

Haunted Home Renovation Mystery (7 books)
  • If Walls Could Talk (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the House (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Home for the Haunting (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #4)
  • Keeper of the Castle (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #5)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #6)
  • A Ghostly Light (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #7)

“You know I wouldn't know a Louis Vuitton from a Louis L'Amour” 5 likes
“Each layer is marked with the name of a child. First child takes off first layer, and passes it to next child named. Until finally the name on the last layer is the one to receive gift.” “That’s a” 0 likes