Start by marking “School Bus” as Want to Read:
School Bus

School Bus

What is large (or small), bright yellow, and filled with students? School Bus!

Climb aboard and let Donald Crews take you to school -- and home again.
Published August 26th 1993 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about School Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Bus

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Never really had to ride the bus to school...but is there anyone who does not feel a bit nostalgic when a yellow school bus goes by? Great story for a child before they have to take their first trip on the bus.
Josiah
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you've read any of Donald Crews's picture books about vehicles, you know the format. Using as few words as possible, he shows what a particular kind of vehicle does on a typical day, from the moment its motor starts until after it's shut down for the day. In this book, the classic yellow school bus gets the Donald Crews treatment. Anyone who has boarded a school bus in the morning, crisscrossing town to pick up other kids before classes begin, knows the sensations rendered in this book. Many ...more
Becky
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
First sentence: Yellow school buses large and small. Empty yellow buses cross the town. STOP. GO. Going this way. Going that way. Here it comes. See you later. Full buses head for school.

Premise/plot: Donald Crews gives us a day in the life of a school bus. The book comes full circle, beginning and ending with empty buses gone 'home again' in a parking lot.

My thoughts: This book is very yellow. It doesn't have the same rhythm and rhyme thing going for it as Freight Train does. Nor is it really a
Emily Holter
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book on school buses would be perfect for the kindergarten classrooms. The text doesn't say much, so it would age appropriate for that age group. It’s important for a classroom that is having a transportation curriculum to have this book included in with it, as for it shows children the daily process of riding on the school bus.

As the school bus in the book travels down the street, you will see a multitude of other types of vehicles, such as; taxi’s, cars, trucks, and buses. When the school
Zaire Clinton
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My 2-yr old is into school buses and the color yellow. This book is perfect for the stage he is in. He loved counting the buses and seeing the different sizes.
The Book Box
Jul 30, 2016 added it
Shelves: own
Daddy read this to me last night. I love school buses so I liked the book, but my favorite part was pointing out the lone garbage truck!
Cynthia
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jack-s-books
What is not to love if you are interested in school buses!
Kaelin Miller
It was a sweet and simple book about buses. Buses are nice forms of transportation (Not so much in middle school and high school where you smell body odor from pubescents who don't wear deodorant.) Anyway, it's a pleasant book for kids who are beginning to learn to read!
Rachel Smith
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Again, Crews does a great job using the simple theme of transportation to tell a small story that can be relatable for kids all across America. I would use it on the first day of school to talk to students about how they get to school and what their bus experience is like.
Eliot Reads
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Calling all school bus enthusiasts! Though simple in text, this book is full of bright yellow buses of all shapes and sizes, in groups and on their own, on their way to and from school. Love Donald Crews’s style!
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A day in the life of a bunch of school buses -- from the bus barn to picking up kids, taking them to school, waiting, picking them up, taking them home, and back to the bus barn.
Hannah Knight
Shelves: fiction
This book is about seeing school buses, waiting for them, going to school, and going home. The pictures show streets, people, and school buses. This book would be great for young children.
J
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always followed reading this book up with doing a round of The Wheels on the Bus. It just makes sense.
Sandy
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The very first book my son read on his own! Have it on video too. So cute.
Heather
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a classic.
Monica Loftus
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good for very young kids. Didn’t have a lot of words, but the illustrations were good.
Hannah Joly
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Decent book. Not very descriptive with words but lots of pictures of buses.
Jude
Jun 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
My five-year-old picked it out off his shelf. I was incredibly bored. He seemed more into it, but that's because he's legitimate excited about riding the bus to kindergarten.
Bill
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This may have been translated from another language. We like the pictures.
Mikki
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Good intro to school buses, traffic, and signs.
Asho
My two-year-old could not possibly have been more thrilled with this book. He has chosen it for his bedtime story every night since we checked it out from the library and literally shrieks with glee as we turn the pages together.
"BUS!"
"ONE MORE BUS!"
"DOORS OPEN! DOORS OPEN!"
"WAIT FOR BUS!"
"PEOPLE GET ON!"
"BUS HOME!"

I do read the text, but I don't think he really cares. He is much more interested in describing the pictures to me and "counting" the buses.
I really like the illustrations and very
Jane
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In my preschool classroom, I use School Bus to teach my new preschool children about bus safety. It is a book of few words but the pictures show school buses that look just like the ones our children ride to and from school each day. Our preschool classroom is located in a public elementary school and our children ride the School Bus to and from school with the older children. They are given the front seats of the bus that are fitted with seat belts (not part of the story). We read the story and ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
Small children are fascinated by large vehicles, and this important institution of American society, the yellow school bus, is no exception, especially because small children associate the bus with interesting older children and teenagers. This well-conceived, well-illustrated preschool book traces school buses through one day: beginning parked side by side in the lot, crossing the town, picking up students, bringing them to school and back, then returning to the parking lot.

The minimal text per
Rob
Nov 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: with-holden
So The Boy is currently obsessed with buses. All things larger than a Ford F-150 are buses—dump trucks, excavators, Greyhounds, oil tankers—you name it. This might be because those are two of the words that he can say ("bus" and "yellow") that are recognizable by people other than his Mama and Papa.

Anyway, I made the mistake of showing him this book while at Borders. So now we own it.

All told, it's pretty straightforward and linear. Buses pick up kids, take them to school, and then home again.

Wh
Bethany Sutherland
School Bus is a book about the journey of a school bus. School buses are empty in the morning and cross town. They stop at red lights and go at green lights. They pick up the kids and take them to school. Then, they wait until school is over and then takes the kids back home. They then go back home themselves to their parking lot.

I did not care for this book much because it did not teach me anything new.

I would put this book in my classroom library.
Efundunke
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book. Built background knowledge by asking students if they ever rode on a yellow school bus before, which sparked a discussion of shared experiences riding the school bus for field trips. Used it for predicting, although the title would seem like a dead giveaway. Then made a chart to find out how students get to school. We discussed which means of transportation students used the most to travel to school and which means students used the least. Worked out pretty well.
Millie Simonds
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: beginning-books
This is a very easy beginners book with very few words on each page. It would be a good book for Pre-K or Kindergarten because they need to learn how the process of riding the school bus works. The setting of the book is through town on the school bus and at the school. I feel that this would be a great book for a child learning to read.
Jasmine Bowman
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: beginning-books
Barbara
Sep 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I love Donald Crews' books and this is one of the better ones. We read it in my preschool special education classroom each year and the simple language, paired with all those pictures of buses, is always a hit. I particularly like the little details, like the father who is putting his child on the bus and waiting to hug her when she comes home.
  • Machines at Work
  • The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors
  • Red Truck
  • Ten Red Apples
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • Night Light
  • ABC: a Child's First Alphabet Book
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • I Love Trucks!
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Down by the Station
  • The Vegetables We Eat
  • I'm Dirty!
  • Snow Sounds: An Onomatopoeic Story
  • And the Train Goes...
  • Roller Coaster
  • Trains: Steaming! Pulling! Huffing!
  • A Truck Goes Rattley-Bumpa
Donald Crews (born August 30, 1938) is an American illustrator and writer of children's picture books. In 2015, the American Library Association (ALA) honored him with the Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal, recognizing his lasting contribution to children's literature. Common subjects of his include modern technology (especially travel vehicles), and childhood memories. His stories often include few huma ...more