Start by marking “Submerged (Alaskan Courage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Submerged (Alaskan Courage, #1)

Submerged

(Alaskan Courage #1)

A sabotaged plane. Two dead deep-water divers.

One single clue.

Bailey Craig vowed never to set foot in Yancey, Alaska, again. She has a past, and a reputation--and Yancey's a town that doesn't forget. She's returned only to bury a loved one killed in the plane crash, but then dark evidence emerges and Bailey's own expertise becomes invaluable for the case.

Cole McKenna can
Published May 1st 2012 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Submerged, please sign up.
Crystal Subject matter is a little mature for a ten year old. It's more appropriate for teenagers.

Karen Witemeyer
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read contemporary romantic suspense, but I decided to give Submerged a try, and boy am I glad I did. From the very beginning the setting breathed life, and I could have sworn the author herself was an experienced rescue diver because the dive scenes were so authentic. Dani Pettry knows how to do her research and weave it seamlessly into her stories in order to create a fantastic experience for the reader.

Cole McKenna is a top-notch, sigh-worthy hero. A man dedicated to family, to
Charlene
A good start to a family orientated Christian Suspense that plunges you into the world of Yancy set Alaska.

The family dynamics was definitely my favourite aspect which is great as there are a few more books to this series :).

I love the way Biblical scripture and prayer was included through out the story.

The suspense element was ok.

I give Christina Moore 4 stars for her entertaining audio performance.

Piper was my favourite so I can not wait to read book two.

Recommended for all Christian susp
Katie
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Whoa! What an adventure! I had a feeling that Dani Pettrey would write a romantic suspense that sucked me in from page one and wouldn’t let me go till the very end. And that's exactly what happened! While the suspense and tension wasn't very high in the first half of the book, things DO happen that keeps the reader going…and then I hit that halfway mark and it just took off!

There is quiet a large cast of characters in Submerged. Not only does the reade
Victoria Lynn

Submerged by Dani Petrey

This book. . . hmmm. . . I hate giving books reviews when they are less than three stars. This one was a 2.5 star for me.

What I liked.
Super creative. The whole mystery, was quite breathtaking and I really enjoyed all of the diving! Just super awesome in that respect!
THe characters were great too. I love the McKenna family, especially Piper and Gage. . . those two are my faves. THe whole book, I couldn’t help but think that I just wanted it to be all about Pipe
Aerykah
What a great way to discover a new author! I understand that this is Dani Pettrey's debut novel. In my opinion, she did an excellent job. This was a fast read for me and kept my attention from start to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Can't wait to get my hands on book two... :)

Edit:
Just finished re-reading this and I must say it's just as good the second time through!!
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Friends had been telling me how great this series is for a long time, but it somehow kept slipping to the bottom of my to-read pile. I finally got to it, and it's fantastic!

Bailey left Alaska, leaving her heart there with Cole McKenna and swearing never to return. When a death in the family pulls her back, she becomes involved in a police investigation that leads her into harm's way and Cole's arms.

The mystery is interesting, but the characters are what make this book such a great read. The Mc
Andrea Cox
by Andrea Renee Cox

This is a challenging review for me to write. I wanted to give this book more than three stars, and I debated going up to four throughout the book. However, the continuous lewd mentions to Bailey's past just tipped things too far south for me.

Don't get me wrong: We all have sins in our past that stick in our minds long beyond receiving forgiveness from Jesus Christ. And yes, these things color our perceptions sometimes, as well as the perceptions of others. I think Ms. Pettrey
Julie Parks
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This was such a strange blend. First, I'd no idea this was Christian and maybe that's a good thing as I probably wouldn't have picked it. But I found it on Amazon top 10 Free lists and gave it a shot and before I knew it, I was halfway in...no sleep in sight, you know how it goes.

There's quite a lot of underwater scenes, so if you're uncomfortable with holding your breath quite literally while getting to the end of the page, maybe this isn't for you.

Forget about those few religious notes if you'
Casey
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a start to what is sure to be a great series!

“Submerged” blends a wonderful array of great characters, gripping suspense and a romance that will the most hopeless of hearts at a near sigh.

One would think from the cover that the inside of the novel would be as chilling as the outside, but actually beginning to end, this novel has to be on the easiest, smoothest romantic suspense I believe I have read. Perfect balance in story and tension, romance and suspense. Character portrayals are deep
Loraine
SUMMARY: A sabotaged plane. Two dead deep-water divers.

Yancey, Alaska was a quiet town...until the truth of what was hidden in the depths off the coast began to appear.

Bailey Craig vowed never to set foot in Yancey again. She has a past, and a reputation--and Yancey's a small town. She's returned to bury a loved one killed in the plane crash and is determined not to stay even an hour more than necessary. But then dark evidence emerges and Bailey's own expertise becomes invaluable for the case.

Co
Shannah Mauney
I am so excited to be reviewing this book, because I know in a few days I'll have book #2 in the series! This was an excellent book, and I read it in 2 days! Submerged by Dani Pettrey is the first book in the Alaskan Courage series. It takes us to a small town Yancey Alaska (I know, who would have thought!) :p and introduces us to a range of characters, but focuses on 2 main characters: Bailey Craig and Cole McKenna. Read my full review: http://faithlovebooks.blogspot.com/20...
Celestial
Oh my gosh! What can I say about this book but AMAZING!!!

To be honest I wasn't expecting much from this book. This book was just some random book that I picked up from the library shelf to tide me off for the time being.
Once I read it however I instantly LOVED it. At this moment I am impatiently waiting to get the next book in the series Shattered. I have never read any of Dani Pettrey's work before, but from what I have just recently experienced I am definitely a fan.

There was just enough mys
Kim
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's my thoughts on this one:

I struggled with it through a lot of it, mostly the amount of characters, a few parts I got a little bored with, I put the book down and read other books then by the time I picked it up again I'd forgotten who some people were. The ending felt rushed to me, and I'm still not sure what happened. This is also a Christian book, so there's a lot of inwardly praying to the Lord for so and so and such and such. The main character was supposed to be a born again Christia
Michael
I don't want to be harsh in my reviews, because I know what it takes to write a novel, produce a film, music, etc. It's very difficult. This book was a recommended Nook Daily Find, which I have found to be a good source of books.

I have no faith in Christian fiction, Christian movies or any other Christian entertainment. It's as if Christian consumers have lowered their standards and anything with Christian content becomes more acceptable. Christian content does not make a book good. This is not
Laurie Elliott
Feb 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize this was a Christian book - as another reviewer pointed out the publisher is known as such, but again not aware. The plot at times jumped forward, author missed opportunities to richly detail the characters, the storyline, and surroundings. I did not find the descriptions of the Alaskan setting believable. Most annoying was the lecture given to Piper about being on a date until midnight, ostensibly with a man she could not possibly know all that well. What kind of a small town ...more
(Liene)
I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to! Usually I stay away from suspense and contemporary as well. But this had a plot of history weaved into the story and the meaning of the story, the struggles with faith that the main character goes through, made it very enjoyable!
All in all, 3.5 stars. It was very entertaining and meaningful and the characters were awesome as well :)
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This is the first book in this series. I've read the latest book in the series, and now the first one. Now I just need to read all the ones in between. This is a fantastic series, great writing. Suspense, romance, light Christian fiction. Clean! Set in Alaska. :)
Julie Gowel
Sep 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of bible thumping in this one.
Lilian
DNF @ 20%. There's nothing wrong with this book--I'm just not quite feeling it right now. ...more
Nicki Olsen

“The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.” – Jacques Cousteau
________________________________________

*Summary*

Cole Mckenna is still shocked that the beloved aunt of one of his closest friends in high school was in the plane crash he was just called onto the scene to rescue. When he arrives at the hospital to find out she died, he has one thought. Bailey. More precisely, the woman he loved in high school that broke his heart and then left. When Bailey returns and more crimes are c
Kara
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**this ebook is now FREE on amazon, got my copy and definitely looking forward to reading it again!!**

Cole McKenna isn’t like other search-and-rescue divers. He loves God, he loves living in the small town of Yancy (population 603) with his brother and sisters, and he loves adventure. Him and his family help with search-and-rescue missions, but they take it personally when rescued victims don’t survive. Cole’s best friend, Landon, works with the sheriff’s office and they work hard to keep the pe
Sandra Lassiter
I really wanted to love this book! I lived in Alaska for around 10 years total, and loved the idea of a book set there. However, I was pretty disappointed. Frankly, it sounded more like it was set in California, Florida or Hawaii than it was Alaska most of the time. "Surfer" lifestyle--in Alaska?!? The story is supposed to take place in a fictional town on the peninsula just south of Kodiak. Um, I lived on Kodiak. Her descriptions do not in any way match what I remember. She talks of Piper and L ...more
Michelle
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
They say the beauty is in the details... well this book has plenty of them. Rich with Russian and Alaskan history and a scuba diving culture that held my interest, Submerged simply kept me enthralled to the end. I enjoyed a lot of things about this story, mainly because of the tension and suspenseful elements combined with history and culture. My nail-biting increased as I kept reading, until I couldn't stop and had to finish the book to find out how things resolved. I loved the under water scen ...more
Hannah
I've been meaning to read Dani Pettrey for quite awhile now and am hooked! Very enjoyable story, told in a delightfully unique voice. I'm looking forward to more. I'm very grateful for Baker's offering this free...I snatched it up and read it that same night.

The story was not at all what I expected. I enjoyed the challenging mystery and was rooting for Bailey to make the decision she made almost from the very beginning! I've never studied much about diving, so I learned some very interesting fa
Brittany
This was a great book. The author developed the characters' back stories so convincingly. Bailey comes into the story with a lot of baggage. The mystery surrounding the deaths of certain characters in the book is very well done. The two main characters were previously involved in high school and both ended up emotionally wounded. The author does a really good job of showing the difference Christ can make in lives. I am looking forward to reading the next novel, Shattered.
Shash
What a great book! This one kept me turning pages! The suspense and mystery were well done. I liked the characters right away! I really liked Cole. He has such a great heart and truly cares about people. I look forward to reading the rest of the series and seeing other relationships develop that we got a peak at in this book.
Joleen
Quick recap: Bailey's beloved aunt dies after an airplane crash, leaving Bailey with her Aunt's store in Alaska. But Alaska is the last place Bailey ever wants to be again. People there are a reminder of her wild youth, of her partying and promiscuous behavior. She's now a new creation in Christ, has finished college and made a life for herself in Oregon, and simply wants to avoid everyone who will bring back all that guilt and shame. Bailey's intent is to get the store ready to sell so she can ...more
Kami
This story had the perfect blend of mystery, romance, suspense and intrigue.

Honestly, one of the best mysteries I have read in a long time.

I loved the integration of Russian history into the mystery because it created a kind of archeological treasure hunt based on supposition, something which may or may not have actually occurred in history.

The pace of the story is rapid, and at the same time, not fast enough. I really wanted to know who was behind all the murders and their motive. I really th
Amber Stokes
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a unique and majestic setting, Submerged offers an engaging reading experience! The characters who play their parts against such a great backdrop are wonderful - especially their interactions as a community, whether just the McKenna family community or the community of the townsfolk of Yancey. The McKenna family certainly won me over, including those members who were "adopted" into the family. What a fun, welcoming bunch!

In this Romantic Suspense, the romance takes precedence - not in thril
February 19, 2016 1 9 Feb 19, 2016 07:07PM
Book Review 4 27 Aug 26, 2014 06:32PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Submerged by Dani Pettrey 1 2 Oct 06, 2013 01:23PM
Christian Fiction...: Have you read "Submerged" by Dani Pettrey? 4 21 Sep 24, 2012 01:18PM

• Lethal Legacy (Guardians of Justice, #3)
  • When a Secret Kills (Deadly Reunions, #3)
  • Protection for Hire (Protection for Hire, #1)
  • Firethorn (Discarded Heroes, #4)
  • Trauma Plan (Grace Medical, #1)
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • Saving Hope (Men of the Texas Rangers #1)
  • The Breath of Dawn (A Rush of Wings, #3)
  • Critical Pursuit (Brinna Caruso #1)
  • The Trouble with Cowboys (A Big Sky Romance, #3)
  • Attracted to Fire
  • Wildflowers from Winter
  • Full Disclosure
  • My Stubborn Heart
Praised by New York Times best-selling author Dee Henderson as “a name to look for in romantic suspense,” Dani Pettrey has sold more than half a million copies of her novels to readers eagerly awaiting the next release. Dani combines the page-turning adrenaline of a thriller with the chemistry and happy-ever-after of a romance. Her novels stand out for their “wicked pace, snappy dialogue, and lika ...more

Alaskan Courage (5 books)
  • Shattered (Alaskan Courage, #2)
  • Stranded (Alaskan Courage, #3)
  • Silenced (Alaskan Courage, #4)
  • Sabotaged (Alaskan Courage, #5)
“You’re a new creation. Your sins are forgiven. Why carry a burden Christ died to relieve you of?” 16 likes
“How you handle hard times is a true show of character.” 14 likes