Start by marking “Almost Amish” as Want to Read:
Almost Amish

Almost Amish

(Tomorrow's Promise Collection #5)

Julie Charlton is at the breaking point. She's overwhelmed and burned out, and in today's unrelenting society, her kids are, too. When her sister-in-law Susan, a Martha Stewart-in-training, lands the chance to participate in a reality TV series promoting simple living, and needs another family to join her, it seems like the perfect opportunity.
The location is an idyllic f
Published July 1st 2012 by Bethany House (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Amish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Amish

Tammi
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Amish Fiction ever since I read the Annie’s People series by Beverly Lewis. So when I first saw this book as a pre-order in a fiction book catalog I put it on my wish list. Recently Bethany House sent out their monthly e-mail of available books to review, and Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman was one of the ones that were offered, I chose it and waited for it to arrive in my mailbox. It was worth the wait, because I was hooked from the first page to the last.

Julie Charlton is
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At first I wasn't sure what I'd think about ALMOST AMISH. Reality TV shows, English living as Amish (dressed in pioneer closets?) and women's fiction.... Not a genre I'm a huge fan of, though I do read some. But this book - ALMOST AMISH grabbed me from the first page. I totally got Julie. Not perfect. Real. Gifted with organizing, but not cleaning. Gifted with seeing people, but not baking for school functions. And running ragged with all her and her children's and her husband's activities... C ...more
Maureen Timerman
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I loved reading this book...we live in such a fast pace rat race. We seem to forget what is important, and this book helps bring things into reality.
We begin with Julie Charlton who doesn't seem to know the name "NO". She is always running from one thing to another, and sometimes has to be two places at once. When her husband Thomas's sister begs her to help her...of course Julie does what she always does "Yes"!
Susan Reynolds is in a fight to support herself and her daughter Angie, and the prod
Jessica
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book had an interesting premise but the writing just didn't grab me. The characters seemed rather extreme and many things that happened seemed unrealistic. For example, the character of Susan is always grumpy, a super perfectionist, and completely blind to what is happening in her life. Yet somehow, Gary is attracted to her? There are also inconsistencies with the supposed filming. At certain times they are so worried about what the cameras will film and other times it seems that no one is ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith

If you've ever read anything about the Amish lifestyles, you know that they live a much simpler life, no electricity, no technology, no cars and just a whole lot less stress. So when the Lisa Lee show gets an idea for a new reality show called Almost Amish, a modern family from California is going to get a lot more lessons in life than simply learning how to be Amish.

Susan Reynolds is a Martha Steward in training. She's a bit of what most would call overly assertive, a bit of a perfectionist, an
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Have you heard the old saying, "I meet myself coming and going"? Well this is the life of Julie Charlton dedicated and exhausted wife and mother. She realizes her family needs to slow down but just can't seem to figure out how.

Until...! Her sister-in-law Susan is offered a Reality T.V. series called Almost Amish and she wants Julie and her two kids to be part of the reality show with her and her daughter. This seems like the answer to all Julie's problems and for opportunity for her family to sl
Kate Johnston
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Almost Amish, by Kathryn Cushman, is a story about two families who are offered a chance to give up life as they know it to live “almost Amish” for a reality TV show.
Dual protagonists, Julie and Susan, are also sisters-in-law. Their reasons for participating in the show clash, creating conflict between them as well as within themselves.
Julie, an overscheduled mother of two, feels unfulfilled in her life. She is desperate to live simply, to slow down, spend more time with her family, all the whil
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very different book about the Amish, since it is Almost Amish. Susan is perfect. Well almost. Everything she does has to be perfect. She even makes sure her seventeen year old daughter is perfect in everything she does. That is the way life is suppose to be, right? And Julie is the opposite. She is struggling with just what her position in life should be. She can’t find a thing she is really good at.

Then the opportunity comes to be on the reality show, Almost Amish. This is Susan’s one
Lynette
Sep 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was awful. I almost got to page 100, thinking it must get better, but it never did.

They're doing a reality show (segments, I guess?) But the only time it seems that the cameras are around, the producer is interacting with them. For instance, after their washing machine arrived and they were doing laundry, it didn't seem like any of that was being taped. It was so confusing - what WERE they taping? Also, they were aware of what the first challenge was ahead of time and could practice. A
Casey
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
The minute I read the back cover copy of this novel I loved it. A modern family enters a reality television show to become “almost Amish.”. Love that premise and the novel pretty much followed what I expected, in both story and quality.

I loved Julie’s heart. She is a woman every house wife in America can relate to. I immediately sympathized with her situation and hopeless driftlessness in it all. The only thing I wish was that the dynamic between her and her husband had been brought into the st
Caitlyn Santi
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book left me speechless! I could not come up with any words to describe how much I loved it, I will try to now but I can't make any promises! I truly felt when the characters were on the farm that I was reading a chronicle of my own life! I loved Angie, she is so much like me it's scary! I grew up watching and loving the PBS show Frontier House and this book is very similar to that show. I knew when I read the summary of this book that I would love it and I am pleased to report that I loved ...more
Pat
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!! Julie and Susan are sister in laws and as different as can be. Susan wants to gain fame that she hopes to cash in on by being on a reality TV show--Almost Amish. Julie is just looking for a simpler and slower lifestyle. They both learn alot about themselves and what their God given talents are.
Susan
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Not only were the main characters wonderful, but the secondary characters were delightful as well. Great book for all of us wanting a simpler, more fulfilling life. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Rachel Brand
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
GENRE: CONTEMPORARY/WOMEN’S FICTION
PUBLISHER: BETHANY HOUSE
PUBLICATION DATE: JULY 01, 2012
RATING: 4 OUT OF 5 – VERY GOOD

PROS: All women will be able to relate to Julie in some way; great message about the gifts God has given us; dispels some myths about Amish simplicity

CONS: Hard to sympathise with Susan; Susan’s change of character didn’t seem entirely realistic

There are some days when Julie Charlton would love to just leave her hectic life behind and start over in a much less stressful world.
Jessica Braun
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good book that tells the story of a woman named Julie who makes a TV show called Almost Amish. A family is filmed in their home while they are cooking or doing chores to show the world how different their lifestyle is from the English. From the way they wash the laundry to the way they cook meals, the Amish still manage without the modern conveniences like electricity and indoor plumbing.
Linda
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I think there is another book with this title, that I meant to read. This was a fun, light read.
Megan Bullington
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need a good "feel good" book that warms your heart. I enjoyed reading this cover to cover.
Jolieg G
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Het boek is precies zoals in de beschrijving staat... Eigenlijk had het me dus niet kunnen tegenvallen.

Charlene
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel made me think about what God-given gifts I have. In the book, Julie realizes that everyones' gifts are important, not just those whose gifts put them in the limelight.
Lucy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A heartwarming story.
Sandra Bagwell
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it read it twicexwill probably read again.
Patty Eagle
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really gave this a book a fair chance by reading nearly 1/2 the book. I just could t get into this and finally gave up.
Joyce
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than most Amish novels.
Lorraine Shaw
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Rachel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book!

I was expecting a fairly typical Amish novel, but this was very different in a really nice way! So deep!
ANNETTE
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This author does a great job at keeping the characters delightful and enjoyable. The story involves two families who sign up for "Almost Amish " reality T.V show. the are related to each other.
Martha
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed story but found it very predictable-a nice easy happy story.
Renn Shearin
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cushman crafts strong characters that are easy to connect with."--Romantic Times

The location is an idyllic farm outside an Amish community in Tennessee. J
Rebecca LuElla
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kathryn Cushman, author of A Promise to Remember, Waiting for Daybreak, Leaving Yesterday, and Another Dawn, has quickly become one of my favorite writers. In fact, a friend of mine who read all her books in our church library said, Why, she’s every bit as good as Karen Kingsbury. I smiled at that because it’s a great compliment, comparing her to a best-selling author, but also because I happen to think Cushman is actually better.

It was with some trepidation, then, that I started in on her lates
Wendy
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Susan Reynolds, divorced and mother of 17 year old Angie wants to sign on to do a three month 'experiment' living the 'simple life'. She asks her sister-in-law Julie Charlton to leave her husband in California and take 16 year old Whitney and 13 year old Brian to the midwest with her. The sisters-in-law get along well but were raised in two completely different worlds, doing this for Susan will mean five people living in one farm house without modern conveniences.

Julie is tired of her life, she
  • Her Restless Heart (Stitches In Time Series #1)
  • Kate's Song (Forever After in Apple Lake, #1)
  • When Hope Blossoms
  • An Amish Family Reunion (Miller Family, #4)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Annie's Truth (Touch of Grace, #1)
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • An Amish Wedding
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • The Captive Heart (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #2)
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
  • Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)
  • The Christmas Singing (Apple Ridge #2)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • Saving Gideon (Clover Ridge #1)
  • The Survivor (Families of Honor #3)
Author Kathryn "Katie" Cushman is a graduate of Samford University with a degree in pharmacy.

She is the author of five novels, including Leaving Yesterday and A Promise to Remember, which were both finalists for the Carol Award in Women's Fiction.

She is also the co-author of Angel Song with Sheila Walsh.

Kathryn and her family currently live in Santa Barbara, California.

Visit her Web site at ww

Tomorrow's Promise Collection (6 books)
  • A Promise to Remember