Start by marking “Beales Corner” as Want to Read:
Beales Corner

Beales Corner

Tom hears his granddad’s stories but he doesn’t really listen; his summer visits are just a break for himself, he has enough troubles of his own. When the old man asks him to help him record some of his memories he is not really interested; the past is in the past and that is where it should stay. If only it would...
Published 2011 by Chauffour Books

To ask other readers questions about Beales Corner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beales Corner

Start your review of Beales Corner
Alex  Baugh
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
Beales Corner is a real place in the town of Bewdley, Worcestershire, England and Andy Frazier, author of Beales Corner, grew up in this area and is quite familiar with it. So did his father and many of the stories in the book come from the stories Andy heard growing up about his dad’s adventures in the Home Guard during the war.

So it is not surprising that Beales Corner is told through the eyes of two characters in alternating chapters. The present is seen through fourteen year old
Billy Buttons
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was recently entered in The Wishing Shelf Awards. This is what our young readers thought:

FEEDBACK

Author: Andy Frazier
Title: Beales Corner

COVER: 4/10
I’m sorry to say our young readers (and teachers) did not like the cover very much. They thought it lacked ‘spark’. One teacher put in her feedback, ‘The children in my class were turned off by the cover. A black and white pencil drawing of a sleepy-looking village is not the sort of image whi
Rosie Turner
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This novel is based in a town near my home in England. It is about a boy who visits his grandpa in the holidays and the man asks him to write down his wartime stories.
The old man's stories are really exciting and as he writes them down, Tom starts seeing visions from the past in the town.
In the old stories it is really nice when James and Jean-Francois become best friends. I liked the part when the two boys got lost in the snow and stayed overnight in an army camp. The ending was brillian
Wendy Murray
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! A great mix of writing about current times and imagining what life as a young boy during the war must have been like. Cleverly putting the two tales together in an exciting and moving story.

Will appeal to both boys and girls in the 9-12 age bracket but also interesting for adults and a must for everyone living in the area in which the book is set. Roll on the film being made!
Tom Griffin
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story. It was a bit sppoky in places but I enjoyed the ending.
I have done some rwoing myself, so I could relate to the parts on the river.
Sandra