Start by marking “The Rocking Horse” as Want to Read:
The Rocking Horse

The Rocking Horse

Can a family that has been savagely ripped apart find healing and redemption? Are the mysteries hidden in the human heart destined to reveal themselves? The Rocking Horse, Gloria Zachgo's spellbinding suspense novel, charts the harrowing emotional journey of one family that is torn asunder, then magically drawn together again. Jenny Preston has been missing for twenty-two ...more
Published August 18th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Rocking Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rocking Horse

Start your review of The Rocking Horse
Dan
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
The Rocking Horse has me confused. More accurately, my reaction to The Rocking Horse has me confused. When I read a mystery or thriller, I want to be surprised and kept off-balance as the narrative unfolds. If I can see the next plot twist coming pages or chapters ahead, I generally get bored with the story and start wishing the end would come quicker. So, here’s my confusion. Despite the fact that I could foresee pretty much everything that was going to happen in the story, I couldn’t put the b ...more
Terry
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Terry by: Gloria Zachgo
"The Rocking Horse" by the extremely talented Gloria Zachgo, is one of the best books I've read in quite some time.
If I didn't know that this was the author's first novel, I'd think I was reading a novel off of one of the top bestseller lists. This book certainly deserves a top spot in the rankings.

The story is enthralling and deliciously addictive. Once you start reading, you can't put it down. You won't want to put it down. Real life and it's duties become mere annoyances while reading this
Gloria Zachgo
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am the author of this book. I am anxious to hear other opinions. Enjoy.
Candace
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gloria Zachgo's novel, The Rocking Horse, is a wonderful story that I enjoyed from the first page until the last. On the day I started the book, my husband and I decided to head to the gym. I LOVE gym time. Not because of the great work out, or the sweating, or knowing I can come home and eat a cookie guilt free. No, I love going to the gym because Exercise Time equals Candace's Reading Time. With a book in hand I can literally walk an entire evening. I perch myself on a treadmill, raise the inc ...more
E
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Twenty-two years ago, in Shady Creek, Kansas, three people are found murdered. Two year old Jenny Preston is found alive. She is the daughter of Amanda Preston who was one of the victims. Jenny is later taken from the crime scene to the home of the town sheriff and is abducted. Neither crime was solved. So opens Gloria Zachgo's novel, The Rocking Horse.
Fast forward 22 years and Julie Hendricks who is running from an abusive husband arrives in Shady Creek. Everyone she meets is shocked by her s
Ron Zachgo
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Julie Hendricks, a young woman from an affluent area in Chicago finds her life going into in a downward spiral. She plans and executes her escape, only to discover her life is even more confusing than originally thought. She is comforted by a child-hood toy that influenced the choice of a small Kansas town as her hideout, but it also provides the clue that she may actually have ties to the community. The story explains the steps that lead her to the answer. Who is Julie Hendricks? She has always ...more
Katie
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Rocking Horse is a great book with a unique plot line. I was hooked after the first chapter or two, and the suspense made me want to finish immediately.

Gloria Zachgo captures that "small town feel" in her novel, and her characters have a soul and personality that's hard to come by in adult fiction.
Melodie
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
The Rocking Horse is one of the books that for me is a comfortable read.Immediately interesting, characters that are easy to like and dislike according to their roles in the story, and a plot that moves along.
I enjoyed the touch of magic with the rocking horse HoHo throughout the book.And while there are those that might feel the story wrapped up a bit too tidily,I thought it ended very well.
Carol
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Very predictable - ending seemed like it wrapped everything a little too conveniently but still an entertaining read.
Joannine
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it the story was predictable but very very good.
Michele
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel will pull at your heart strings-no doubt about it.

A family was torn apart by murder and a young girl disappears. The Sheriff knew something about it but kept it to himself because he was trying to protect someone.

The young girl who disappeared has suddenly shown up in the town not realizing that she was the missing girl. She was running from a horrible marriage.

The only thing she had clung to from the day she was taken was a small rocking horse---

Who murdered her family and who abduct
Valentina
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book to read. It’s what I would call a literary mystery, meaning that there’s not as much action as you’d expect from a mystery novel, instead dealing much more with character development than anything else.
The beginning is handled very nicely. There is a quick, tense pace to the writing that suits the story well. It really leads the reader onward with its smooth flow. Then the plot slows down. Not enough to make it a bother to read, but more than it should. The plot get
Lynda Kelly
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great first novel. It doesn't purport to be anything other than a terrific little story and it doesn't disappoint. I really enjoyed it. The only fault was with the editing/proofreading process and that woefully cost it 5 stars. If I were the author and I'd paid fortunes for the service I'd ask for a bloody refund.
All the way through there were apostrophe errors, most noticeably with parent's used instead of parents'. Yet at times it was correct so all the wrong ones, of which there we
Tricia
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed “The Rocking Horse”. The storyline, with its twists and turns, kept me wanting more. I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Gloria created a wonderful setting with lovable (and some not so loveable) characters. Gloria nailed the down-to-earth small town people who love cooking, nature, and each other. The author weaved many elements together in this book: friendship, loyalty, compassion, hate, evil, betrayal, and forgiveness. With suspense, romance, supernatural ...more
Trish Arrowsmith
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book in about 4 hours. The story captures your attention right away and doesn't let go, although it does slow down a bit in the middle. The story is somewhat predictable but even with knowing what's going to happen it's good enough that it still holds your interest. The characterization was okay but I felt as though we only got to know the characters on the outside and not the inside. If you're looking for an in-depth, intellectual read, this probably isn't the book for you but if yo ...more
Katie Robinson
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the very beginning of the story I was sucked in.

It starts off with a mother and a daughter going to visit the girls Aunt. Tragedy strikes. I do have to say after reading what happened in the home and the following event I was a little caught off guard. I know its a book but it was kind of unbelievable, but do not let that stop you from continuing on! I read the book in a day, I couldn't put it down. It is a wonderful story with the right amount of drama.

I will be reading more of Gloria Zach
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I enjoyed this book and when I got to the end I wanted more! The writing style, especially in the beginning, is a little detached or clinical. Like the death of the three people in the first few pages was told very matter of fact, no real emotions associated with it which I found interesting. The pace is slow, but in a good way. The ending felt like it sped up some and of course you know what is going to happen and everything resolves itself nicely. Still a good read.
Jaci
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jaci by: Received free eread from Author
I am so thankful to Gloria Zachgo for the free eread of The Rocking Horse. I loved the book and could not put it down. I was sad when I was finished as I didn't want it to end. The story was great and I was near tears (some sad and some happy) many times. I hope Gloria writes more novels...I would love to read more from her.
Nicole
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book from the author's son and absolutely loved it. It has a great plot and is an excellent read. I have since passed it on to a couple friends and bought for family at Christmas time. I cannot wait to see what else Gloria has published.
Laureen
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-owned
I enjoyed this book. The beginning drew you into the story with a big grab. The characters were well developed and worked well throughout the story. I enjoyed the conflict of Sheriff Will and his choices and how that all pulled together. It was a good read.
Patricia Waterman
From the moment I picked up this book to read it held my interest. It is well written with a story theme that keeps you interested through the whole book. I would like to see more books by this author.
Christy
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was free and I liked the synopsis so I downloaded it. It was a quick read, nail biting at times. I feel it could haves used a better closure but all in all I enjoyed how the story played out.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

This is an interesting twist... a mystery where the reader knows the answers from the beginning but watches as the characters search to figure it out!

Read full review in the 2013 September issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Jennifer Bertram
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Its characters held my attention from page 1 to the end.
Ruth Boynton
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Destiny? Karma? Fate? If you believe in any of those.....you will enjoy this book!
Theresa
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most excellent books I have read in a long time. A lot of twists and turns and a happy ending.
Barb Bennett
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hard to believe this is a first novel. The plot was compelling from the first chapter and the characters were well developed. Very enjoyable read!
Caroline Johnson
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book through Goodreads. Excellent book. Enjoyed reading it.
Steph Warren
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
*I received a free copy of this book. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

The Rocking Horse is one of those books that is oddly unsettling due to the subversion of the reader’s genre expectations. Which is not to say that it is a bad read…in fact I couldn’t put it down!

Everything about the style, setting, characters, and plot set-up screams that this is a cosy mystery type suspense thriller. Except that the reader knows everything from the very beginning. We know who committed the
Chris
The characters, the plot, the romance, the suspense all work together to make this an unforgettable read. The story of murder and child abduction and the consequences over time are intricately woven together to show the devastating results to the families on both sides of the crime. A fascinating read that treats difficult emotional issues with sensitivity and allows the reader to experience the triumph of the human spirit.
This book gets my unqualified recommendation!
Book Trailer 1 5 Jun 04, 2012 03:39PM
Meet HoHo 1 5 May 07, 2012 05:37PM
Advanced Copies f...: FREE eBook Feb. 15th 2012 1 12 Feb 12, 2012 11:21AM

• 13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy (Lynn Dayton Thriller, #1)
  • Magnetic Reverie (The reverie, #1)
  • Just A Happy Camper (Hetta Coffey Series, #11)
  • Murder and High Rollers: A High Desert Cozy Mystery (High Desert Cozy Mystery Series Book 10)
  • Dark Water (Cooper M. Reid #1)
  • Rain No Evil
  • The Thief's Heart (The Letter Series #4)
  • Glow Girl
  • Shopping is Murder (McKinley Mysteries, #6)
  • The Telltale Tea Kettle: A Witch Cozy Mystery (Dark Lake Chronicles Book 9)
  • Murder at the New Dawn B & B: A Cottonwood Springs Cozy Mystery (Cottonwood Springs Cozy Mystery Series #9)
  • Hope Rides Again (Obama Biden Mysteries, #2)
  • Dangerous Questions: An Emily Lazzaro Mystery
  • Ghostly Love
  • Making You Mine (The Bradens & Montgomerys: Pleasant Hill - Oak Falls, #5)
  • We're All Not the Same, But We're Still Family: An Adoption and Birth Family Story
  • A Mistletoe Match for the White Duchess
  • Little Feather: A Miranda Riley PI Paranormal Cozy Mystery (Miranda Riley PI Paranormal Cozy Mysteries #1)
It’s a natural for Gloria Zachgo to write stories with Kansas settings. She grew up on a farm in Lincoln County, where she attended one of the last one-room schoolhouses in the country. After graduating from Brown Mackie Business School, she married her high school sweetheart.
Living out of state for several years, Gloria and her husband moved back to their Kansas roots. While their children were