Start by marking “Gullhanger: Or How I Learned to Love Brighton and Hove Albion” as Want to Read:
Gullhanger: Or How I Learned to Love Brighton and Hove Albion

Gullhanger: Or How I Learned to Love Brighton and Hove Albion

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Gullhanger is the hilarious, critically-acclaimed diary of a man who sets out to rekindle his passion for the glorious game, and indeed for life itself. Not via a big club such as Manchester United or Arsenal, but via the local third-tier football club to which he’d previously, shamefully, paid little attention: Brighton & Hove Albion FC – aka the Seagulls.
Desperate fo
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gullhanger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gullhanger

Karlt
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, non-fiction, free, sport
Fun enough read in some parts, mildly depressing in some. Lost interest partways through the book, perhaps because I wanted to read about sports, and football, but instead got sob story about losing touch with old friends and midlife weight gain. Also, I wanted to see more detail about the matches, not just "oh yeah Zamora got a hattrick". I usually have very little patience for free books, the moment i find anything slightly annoying about one, I stop reading ( because I can afford to and can d ...more
John Lee
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: english
This story was near to my heart, because it's kind of the same experience I had with baseball, and specifically the Oakland A's, last year. To be fair, I didn't start following the A's because they were good, but my story is similar in that I did want to care about something. I wanted to follow a sport and really get into it, having followed football casually for the last two years or so. Anyway, this book is written in diary form, which is interesting because it gives it a sense of tremendous u ...more
Emanuel Ramos
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
A writer decides to buy season tickets to his local English soccer club, because he's going through a mid-life crisis, and he wants to be passionate about something.

I enjoy soccer memoirs, but not this one. There were some choice comedic moments, but the author's voice doesn't work. It's introspective to a fault. He goes on odd tangents that have nothing to do with soccer. It's written like it was straight from his diary, without editing.

I can't recommend this book. Unless you like free books o
P B TEW
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
United in earnest but Alex in heart

Funny observational and shows the depths despair and delights of the lower league fan who adopted their local club above their childhood big name team. Being a Man Utd fan who has had a similar experience with Crewe Alexandra i know where you are coming from. Great read.
L.R. Currell
Mike Ward does a solid job with this book. It chronicles his season following a lesser known football team. I enjoyed it quite a lot and laughed at some of the jokes.

It was a good, light hearted read and I especially liked how he analyzed himself during his journey. 3 and a half stars.
Ipswichblade
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Decent book and nice and cheap on Kindle
Colin
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy read about a season following the local team, and how the author gets wrapped up in the whole expereince.
Bill Harding