Start by marking “The Boy No One Loved” as Want to Read:
The Boy No One Loved

The Boy No One Loved

‘We’re hungry,’ his brother cried. ‘We’re hungry, Justin. Please find us some food.’

Justin was five years old; his brothers two and three. Their mother, a heroin addict, had left them alone again. Later that day, after trying to burn down the family home, Justin was taken into care.

Published October 13th 2011 by Harper Element

To ask other readers questions about The Boy No One Loved, please sign up.
Ashley He felt that his mother loved the dog and gave more to the dog than she did to him and his brothers, rightfully so. It says, somewhere in the book,…moreHe felt that his mother loved the dog and gave more to the dog than she did to him and his brothers, rightfully so. It says, somewhere in the book, that she fed the dog, which she never did for them. That's probably one reason(less)
Lauren Tolputt Not that I have any fostering experience, but I believe that Casey didn't adopt Justin because she knew she couldn't. As a fosterer, I'm sure that…moreNot that I have any fostering experience, but I believe that Casey didn't adopt Justin because she knew she couldn't. As a fosterer, I'm sure that Casey would like to adopt each and every child if she could, however this would impact severely on the amount of care she would be able to provide to other children in the future. Casey is obviously one of the best in the field at helping emotionally damaged children to come to terms with the life they have been subjected to, and to continue doing that she needs to be able to focus on one child at a time.(less)

Start your review of The Boy No One Loved
Ashley
"I was so nervous that I actually felt physically sick. I'd never been so nervous about a new job, ever. Probably because this this was going to be like no other new job. Because it wasn't just a job, it was a whole lifestyle. This was not nine till five, this was twenty-four-seven."

I am not going to say this book was amazing, I am not going to say this book was good, I will say that this book was an eye-opener. One that made me feel more appreciative of all that I have.

This book was written
M.A. McRae
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Casey and Mike Watson train to become foster parents for particularly difficult children. They may have been trained, but what could prepare a couple for a child whose behaviour can be more than merely ‘challenging.?’ And then his past is gradually revealed and our hearts bleed for Justin. This book had me in tears, and yet there was warmth and laughter as well. I became totally absorbed, and find it difficult to praise it highly enough – especially as it is not the sort of book I am usually ...more
Jacklyn (ReadingBliss)

Although I will probably remember this story for a long while and I did shed a few tears, I felt like I wanted more all the way through. I don't know what "more" would consist of in this instant, but it left me for wanting. I simply felt like all the horrible things this boy went through- seeing as I am most definitely a cryer- should have inspired more than a few tears. Overall, I just like that stories like this exist to read about because the very-real-problems do exist as a reality
Courtney Lynn
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I can only describe this book as alright. The story is interesting enough and some of it is outright heartbreaking. I found myself unable to find the narrator Casey very likable. I found her too sensitive for her job and the way she managed things a little unbelievable. The book in general I guess was just not written in a way that particularly captured my attention. The story itself was quite an interesting one however.
Ruth Turner
The story of Justin is heartbreaking, and although there's a reasonably happy ending, it still left me feeling sad.

The book itself I didn't enjoy. As one reviewer said, "It is a poorly written story thinly veiling the author's self-congratulatory style." I have to agree, just a little. I didn't like the author very much at all. Syrupy and almost too good to be true.

Also, there were quite a few typos. Incorrect uses of me and I, me and him. Incorrect words, down instead of done, desks instead of
Nancy
May 20, 2016 added it
Recommends it for: Anyone interesting in foster care
I worked as a child welfare worker, and so Casey Watson's books call to me. Casey works in England. They have a very different program for helping abused children. They have a team approach, with meetings and communications with all the people who have worked with a child. They have counselors who take a child to give them someone to talk with, and help them overcome their problems. There was a special helper in school to help the child with problems they face there.

Casey and her husband,
Mary
'We're hungry,' his brother kept repeating. 'We're hungry, Justin. Please find us some food.' Justin was just five years old; his brothers two and three. Their mother, a heroin-addict, had left them hungry and alone, while she went to get her next fix. Later that day, after trying to burn down the family home, Justin was taken into care. Justin was taken into care at the age of five after deliberately burning down his family home. Six years on, after 20 failed placements, Justin arrives at ...more
Melissa
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a story of a young boy that was not believed by adults, that would have been able to help him, when he told them of the abuse he had experienced while living with his mother. Instead of dealing with these allegations and helping him, he kept getting pawned off to yet another placement in the foster system. It wasn't until he was eleven years old and placed in a last-chance foster home, with this author, that someone listened to him and gave him the tools to start working through old ...more
Elizabeth Ray
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was great to finally read about Justin- the boy who started it all. Casey references him in nearly all of her books and it's clear he has a very special place in her heart. Justin seems like a real troublemaker, but the longer he is with the Watsons, the more his past is revealed. What a heartbreaking past it is.

At times, Justin seemed much older than his 11 years, at other times, much younger. It was very interesting to read about him processing the hurt of his past and also, how Casey
Sarah Moncada
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a 22 year old college student who is currently going to school to work in this type of environment working with foster children being able to help them. I chose this book as a "must read" to gain some insight into what it's like for those children. And being the softy that I am did make it hard to read some of the pages but made my want to help increase.

I got props to Casey and the time she spend with Justin and I know she must have been a great foster mother to many others after him. I
Thyago | MrsMargotBlog
The story of this book left me in tears from the first to the last page, it's impossible to remain indifferent to Justin's story, there are several passages in the book that are terrible, a real punch in the stomach. I can't judge Justin attitudes and never judge Casey attitudes.
A story that unfortunately there are many out there like. Loved and cried a lot.

My review in portuguese in my blog:
Michael Steiniger
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written. Sad tale of what children have to go through sometimes and what their life in "the system" is like. A new concept in fostering children with issues and the caring way to bring them back to a fulfilling life.

This book says so much about how a child is treated will determine their place in society.
Carolyn Weidner johnson
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
So sad that Justin had such a horrible childhood. Glad that he ended up with Casey & Mike Watson as his foster parents who took the time and made the effort to get to the root of the horrors of Justin's physical and emotional abuse.

Look forward to reading more of her books.
Colleen
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enjoyed
this was a wonderful book and well written. I feel richer for having read it.
Rosie
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
realy quite sad circumstances but a fantastic read overall you felt as though you were there. ...she's got a lovely really enjoyable style of writing....it just flows:).
Jamie
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sad

Sad

so sad and heartbreaking. Casey is an amazing person and this was a book that is worth your time and consideration
Books
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2017
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

I have so much to say about this book, I don’t even know where to start. Mostly it’s about my opinion about Justin’s whole situation and how I feel about the welfare system, more than it is about the book.

Firstly, I have to say I hugely admire the patience which Casey and Mike had in dealing with Justin and his outbursts and general terrible behavior. Though, I don’t think Casey is as noble as she makes out to be. The start of the book (after the first chapter), as well as
Komal Nadeem
I came across this book just randomly, sitting on one of the shelves of my library. The title of the book does total justice to the story embarked within those pages inside. The book is written in a way that it could seep into your mind quite unnoticeably and make you cringe when you come across what Justin, the protagonist and the center of the book, has gone through. I never would have known how it feels to be given up by your very loved ones have I hadn't got a chance to read this book. It ...more
Norma Burke
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening story

Good foster families are very rare and hard to find. Casey Watson's account of her work with Justin is very interesting, heartwarming, and inspires admiration for her and her family. They cared enough to not give up on Justin.
Lorraine
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Took a long time to finally finish this book as I kept putting it down for days before picking it back up again. It was an ok-ish story, not the best ive read before but not the worst either. Found it quite boring in parts and it didn't hook me at all.
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Couldn't put this book down. This is the first one of Casey's books I've read and my heart really went out to justin as well as Casey and mike when he had to move on.
Nan
Mar 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Stern
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book from a foster MOTHER (not a doctor), involving her family's attempt to help children who are broken, those children that so many others have given up on helping. There were instances I thought she was being too gentle, as did her family, but obviously the "normal" ways of discipline have not worked. A completely different approach is called for, to try to sway these children from a final disintegration and life in an institution. Some, sadly, can't be helped (I grew up knowing one ...more
Emy
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-story, 2017
After reading a lot of Cathy Glass, I decided to try my hand at another big name in the field of foster writing: Casey Watson. Casey and her husband Mike are specialist foster carers, specialising in difficult and emotionally damaged children. This book covers the story of their first foster child, Justin.

Reading this, I felt as though Justin was let down by a system that was supposed to protect him. How could they justify leaving his brothers in the home environment, or allowing Justin to keep
Churin
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
I support this kind of positive writing about foster carer, it helps with new foster carers or foster-carer-to-be or anyone who was interested in how social services and fostering goes about what to expect and what to prepare.
If you know me, you'll know I'm stingy with stars, and I'm sorry to say I give this 3 stars because I support foster carers, not because I like the book.
I was kinda disappointed in this book.
I find the writing is all over the places and there are at least a dozen times I
J. A.  Lewis
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Casey Watson writes a compelling story about her dealings with a troubled child taken into foster care. A heroin addict for a mother, Justin is often left without food for himself or his two younger brothers. After another traumatizing day, he burns his house down along with the family dog, who gets the love he and his brothers lack. Casey's family takes him in and find he is harming himself and is often threatening to her and their own family dog. I seriously doubt I would have the patience it ...more
Cristy McCormick
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book despite the tragedy that obviously befell this young boy. The way the author wrote the book, made it easy to follow, easy to feel all of the emotions, and still was very enjoyable. I'm not really sure what else there is to say about this book without giving anything away but in the end I was very hopefully and my faith in humanity was restrored. As a mother, there are things in this book that are extremely difficult to read and that were just downright infuriating. I ...more
Siska
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good sharing

Casey Watson does good sharing, it's rather terrifying to see that a real child's life can be so much like drama movie. Having read a few books on brain and trauma, I believe the child's behaviour to be a true account, or I would have thought that this is just a made up story.

I hope there would be more people like Casey and Mike, who would love these troubled children the way they do. Bless Riley and Kieron too for being so supportive.

There were few gaps in the writing, also some
David Ballinger
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's the title of this book that originally caught my eye, because, even as I approach my 41st birthday, I often feel like a boy that no one loves. But that feeling has more to do with love of the romantic sort, rather than the familial, which is the sort of love that poor Justin was deprived of in his formative years. Justin's story will break your heart, and it will make you grateful for whatever home life you had as a child. No matter how bad you think you may have had it, it most likely was ...more
Connie J Wilson
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Saving Justin

Amazing writing. The sadness and pain reeks throughout this boy's life. When will our society bring the adults abusing children to task.
I adopted my son, a victim of abuse by his birth mother.
Sadly. it is a vicious cycle with the adult abuser also a victim of abuse.
Casey and family are part of God's Army, doing His work with saving the abused children.
Thank you Casey !
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Night the Angels Came
  • Another Forgotten Child
  • A Baby's Cry
  • Please Don’t Take My Baby
  • Cut: The True Story of an Abandoned, Abused Little Girl Who Was Desperate to Be Part of a Family
  • The Saddest Girl in the World
  • Damaged: The Heartbreaking True Story of a Forgotten Child
  • I Miss Mummy
  • Girl Alone
  • The Girl in the Mirror
  • Will You Love Me?: Lucy's Story: The Heartbreaking True Story of My Adopted Daughter and Her Desperate Search for a Loving Home
  • Mummy Told Me Not to Tell
  • Nobody’s Son: All Alex ever wanted was a family of his own
“it just seemed so random and damning a thing that a child could be born into the sort of conditions that so effectively snuffed out every tiny flicker of potential they had.” 2 likes
“Scars that ate away at their minds and hearts, like some horrible cancer, and muddied every aspect of their sense of themselves.” 0 likes