Start by marking “Brisingr (Inheritance, #3)” as Want to Read:
Brisingr (Inheritance, #3)

Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle #3)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  246,480 Ratings  ·  8,377 Reviews
OATHS SWORN . . . loyalties tested . . . forces collide.

Following the colossal battle against the Empire’s warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep.

First is Eragon’s oath to
Kindle Edition, Reprint Edition, 786 pages
Published September 20th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Brisingr, please sign up.
David This question is ridiculous. Goodreads averages ratings together for books this book that is the total average is a four.

As to why the front page is…more

As to why the front page is full negative reviews is because people have clicked the liked button on those reviews the most. I think the reason why people do that is because these negative reviews of this book are generally better at supporting their opinion than the positive ones do. Most of the time, people who leave five or four stars really don't give compelling reasons as to why they thought that way. Other times, people who don't bother probably don't want to write a whole review.

Reviewing someone's book negatively doesn't make someone a bad person. It just simply means they didn't like the book and wanted to discuss why they didn't like it. (less)

Alena
Oct 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone needing kindling to start a fire
For the love of all that is good and decent in the world, MAKE THE EXPOSITION STOP!!!

I didn't think it was possible for this series to get worse after Eldest. I was wrong. This book is nearly 800 pages of pointless adjectives, with perhaps six pages' worth of plot... most of which is just review (described in *excruciating* detail) from the previous books.

Don't waste your time or money... unless you really need a cure for insomnia.
Jedidiah
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I wish it was longer. Amazing!
Swankivy
Oct 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren
Feb 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, Star Wars fans, Lord of the Rings fans, Tamora Pierce fans
So, I was a little disappointed with this third installment of Paolini's Inheritance "Cycle" now - since he changed the game and made this a 4 book series instead of 3, as it was originally intended.

The story was good and what I have come to expect from this series. But honestly, it did not have to be 748 pages long. I understand the author's desire to flesh out his characters, but the way that he kept going back and forth between the different characters I found annoying. The descriptions of th
Trina (Between Chapters)
If you want a story with awesome dragons and magic, this is a series to check out! I listened to this on audio and it was SO engaging. This book had a lot of action sequences, as well as many moments that were packed with emotion. What a great blend! Uhnnn, I just love it.
Bibiana
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just completed reading Brisingr, and I must say that I was very impressed with the plot!

To compress all of my thoughts and the plot in to only one word, this has to be it - Unpredictable.

Certain events that happened in the book really took me by surprise and I have to applaud Christopher Paolini to even think about such a complex plot. I could hardly guess what might happen in the next few pages, and the only way for me to find out was to keep my head buried deep within its depth.

Seriously, an
Ahmad Sharabiani
Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3), Christopher Paolini
Brisingr or, The seven promises of Eragon Shadeslayer and Saphira Bjartskular , c 2008
Brisingr is the third novel in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. It was released on September 20, 2008. Originally, Paolini intended to conclude the then Inheritance Trilogy in three books, but during writing the third book he decided that the series was too complex to conclude in one book, because the single book would be close to 1,500 pages
Mindy
May 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, ya
I'm sure I'll get hate comments for this rating. But I just was bogged down by Paolini's formal and dry descriptive text. Maybe I'm just too far removed from the other books these years later. I really liked the first two, I just couldn't get into this one. I feel like the story just sort of meanders around.

(SPOILER ALERT) The wedding scene was particularly terrible. It was so long and drawn out. I don't like to go to long drawn out weddings in real life. Reading one was that much worse. (END S
Rebecca Honeycutt
Is it just me, or is this series on a serious downward spiral? Eragon was uninventive but entertaining; Eldest was a bit of slog, but pulled through in the end; Brisingr, however, just left me exhuasted and annoyed. At least half of this novel could have be edited out, and as with the previous two books, Paolini seems more interested in showing off his vocabulary (both English and invented) and in delivering lengthy, detailed battle scenes than in telling a compelling story. Oh, and....SPOILER B ...more
Kyriakos Sorokkou
Σουβλίσαμε και τα αρνιά, τα φάγαμε, τα χωνέψαμε, τα χεσ... και σχεδόν πάει κι ο μισός Απρίλης και πλησιάζει στο τέλος του όπου θα πάρω για τέταρτη και τελευταία φορά βιβλίο του Παολίνι και θα μάθω επιτέλους πώς τελειώνει η ιστορία που άφησα ατέλειωτη από το 2010 και δεν συνέχισα όταν πήρα το τέταρτο βιβλίο δώρο το 2014.

Όπως και με το προηγούμενο εδώ υπάρχει ξανά βελτίωση στη γραφή και στην ιστορία, εμβαθύνεται περισσότερο το ιστορικό υπόβαθρο της Αλαγαισίας, οι ήρωες είναι πιο καλά σμιλευμένοι π
Cory
Mar 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody.
Shelves: abenteuer, fantasy
“The purpose of life is not to do what we
want but what needs to be done.”

1. Sentence: “Eragon stared at the dark tower of stone wherein hid the monsters
who had murdered his uncle, Garrow.”

What the fart.
Seriously.
WHAT THE FART.

This series goes downhill rapidly with every book I read. I really liked the first book , I found the world-building to be amazing and original, even though I noticed the similarities to other fantasy novels. I didn't mind, though. The second book was then a big disappo
Carmine
Jun 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libri-trash
Viaggio al centro della terra (e sempre più giù)

Ammirevole valanga di fulminanti supercazzole con lo scopo di far vedere quanto è bello 'sto fuocherello e la radura attorno; e poi osserva la lama, scegli la tua spada, guarda che bel catalogo; ma non dimenticare i Ra'zac e la figura di merda prevista dal copione per evidenziare il power-up che c'abbiamo qui (utilizzo del bastone di legno per fare più figo).
Ah, sono tuo padre: commuozione a comando, anche se il tutto è stato capito diciassette a
Hasham Rasool
I really like this book a lot. Alhamdulillah.

I thought 'Brisingr' is a lot better than 'Eldest'.

Paolini is a good author.

Oromis, Glaedr and Angela are one of my favourite characters.
Kass
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who come up with names for prescription drugs,collectors of little glass dragons
This book should be called Blahsingr because all it is is 800 pages of Blah Eragon, blah Roran, blah Arya, blah Orik, blah Galbatorix (which I'm certain is a new prescription drug for indigestion), blah, blah, blah.

We all know Paolini killed his trilogy by turning it into a "cycle" but making us read through another 784 pages after his horrific second book, Eldest, was grounds for banishment to the Empire's dungeons.

The book basically had no plot, just a bunch of diversions to keep you reading
Mel
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series keeps getting better and better! i think what makes this series so enjoyable for me is the fact that I love the narrator in the audiobooks. I feel like if I didn't have that like for him I might not enjoy the books as much but I love them dearly.

The world this author has created is so intricate and detailed and every character is so well written and developed that I applaud his writing.

I think Eldest is still my favourite so far of the 3 I've read, but I really enjoyed Brisingr.

(vi
Colleen Houck
I was glad that Chris Paolini ended up spliting this book in two because I didn't want Eragon's adventure to finish. I felt like all the characters moved forward in their development and that Eragon finally came into his own as a dragon rider. Fantastic. I highly recommend this book.
Miranda Reads
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant! Loved this one the first time around and that love hasn't changed a bit.
description

Review to come

“Have I ever told you how glad I am we're not enemies? Eragon asked.
No, but it's very sweet of you.”

The purpose of life is not to do what we want but what needs to be done.

The monsters of the mind are far worse than those that actually exist.

Die puny human!

Blog | Instagram
Sep 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I give up. I've spent two weeks trying to get through this 700-page snoozefest and I'm still completely uninterested in what happens next. I can muster more enthusiasm for the third season of 'Rock of Love.'

To be fair, I've never been ecstatic about the Inheritance trilogy (although I think there's going to be one more book because 700 pages just wasn't long enough). Eragon was a pleasant enough, if unoriginal, story, made more impressive because of Paolini's young age. (Heck, when I was 15, I w
Zachhg
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaron
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, this series has given me a novel that I have enjoyed every part of. I consider it the darkest of the three novels, as Eragon realizes what a dire situation he has placed himself in, and the slim chance that he might succeed in his mission to free the citizens from the tyrannical rule of King Galbatorix. This book finally brings its characters and its plot back down to Earth, and although the novel still thrives off fantasy, and now possesses a sense of reality to it.
This book has give
Charlotte May
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst I've been going through the Inheritance Series I must admit I've struggled and have thought about putting them down on more than one occasion.
However as I've pushed myself through i'm so glad that I did - the world that Paolini has created is absolutely incredible, I feel transported to a world of dragons, magic and ancient lore, its astounding to think that Paolini wrote Eragon when he was only 15!
I have been blown away by the depth of the storylines, descriptions of the scenery and the
Kenchiin
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far my favorite of the tetralogy. Paolini allows his characters to grow within the story in a very crafted yet natural way.
There is still plenty of irrelevant verbiage, but at this point I already got used to it.
Adam
Sep 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
No offense to those of you who liked this book. I had a really, really hard time getting through this one. I thought the first book of the series was neat cause it was written by a kid, but sadly, Paolini's story telling ability hasn't grown an iota.

Why did Paolini have to make this a four book series. He easily could have taken the 35 pages of actual plot from this book and prepended it to the beginning of the next book. The pace of this book was excruciating.

Does there really have to be thre
Cindy
Nov 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Before anyone comments, I was a HUGE fan of the first book. Second book I thought was alright. This book sucked so bad. Between the terrible writing and the grammar and the fact that it was 800 pages of how long Paolini can babble about nothing and still keep an following.

The reason for the 4th book was this was for character development? What character development, the characters are more one sided then ever. You can almost predict what they will do before they do it because they are just
Phoenix2
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers Eragon fans
Shelves: fantasy
I can't believe I haven't added and reviewed this one yet!! I used to be huge (HUGE) fan of Eragon so I can't think of a reason why I didn't... Anyway, self punishment aside, the third book from the inheritacne cyrcle was okay. From what I can remember it had a nice plot, but the sword crafting was way too long so it did got boring there. But other than that, the story was nice and we had some character development and some nice battles. So, 3 out of 5.
Laura Baugh
Oct 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Markdc
Shelves: fiction, not-finished
Really, how much phenomenal cosmic power, gleaming musculature, purring voice, and natural musk that drives women wild are we supposed to take? And our Strong Female Leader can have her decision swayed by a eyebrow twitch from our Sexy Magically Powered Hero....

I will probably never know how this book ends.
amber
Mar 01, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Wow. This one was really bad. As he's aged, Paolini;s writing has gotten worse. It's almost 800 pages of drivel. I feel like Paolini recently studied for the GRE and he's showing off the new words he learned. It was just really bad.
Leia
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this, the penultimate installment of the Inheritance Cycle, though it does sadden me to remember the end is near. Eragon's slow transformation from simple yet inquisitive farmboy to the last free Dragon Rider is a joy to read, and I relished every insignificant detail. Roran, who shocked me with his strength and fortitude in Eldest, continues on his path to becoming a brilliant military strategist and leader, all the while leaving his heart with his beloved Katrina. Murtagh. ...more
Shane
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After waiting 100 years for book 3, I expected a lot more. The meat of this book could have been condensed into about 100 pages. Very little plot development occurred. There was some character development, but not enough to warrant 750 pages.

I probably wouldn't be so critical, but the video he posted stating why it took so long to get to book 3 said that he didn't feel he could do it in one book. Bad news. I bet that if you read book 1, book 2, and 3 selected chapters of book 3, you could go st
Karin
Nov 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
poke me in the eye! This book is terrible! The first one was forgiven for it's rambling irrelevancies due to it's imaginative world and logical magic. This one has no excuses. First off, it's about as entertaining as watching a clock's hour hand tick. Second, approximately two things happen in the entire book that are even important! Each event can go beyond being summed up in a chapter or two. This was riddled with rambling text, inconsistencies, and fluff. A wonderful example of it's dull dron ...more