Start by marking “Why Do We Have Creeds?” as Want to Read:
Why Do We Have Creeds?

Why Do We Have Creeds?

(Basics of the Faith)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The pluralist society is wrong! Everyone's beliefs are not equally valid - truth is not down to who is the biggest bully! Creeds give direction, unity, and fellowship - and show the world what we believe.
Published February 14th 2012 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Why Do We Have Creeds?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do We Have Creeds?

Michael Kelley
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brief but thought-provoking and accessible for those, like me, who are not particularly academic but who are aware of the treasures various creeds represent which we have inherited. Time to claim that inheritance!
Iola
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Why Do We Have Creeds is one of a series of over twenty booklets on various aspects of the Christian faith. It is only a short book (42 pages) but it contains some profound statements about the nature of belief. Parsons states that our doctrine is the basis for the way we live (whether that doctrine or belief or faith is conscious or unconscious) and that we cannot be effective Christians if we try to isolate our doctrine from our intellect.

While the basis of our faith is our relationship with G
Robin
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Why Do We Have Creeds
Burk Parsons
This was a quick read booklet that details why and how Creeds are beneficial. The author goes into detail of how this unifies and keeps the church on their focus of Christ. Burk Parsons also makes clear they do not replace scripture but help the Believer flush ou
Dan Glover
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good arguement for the legitimacy of creeds and confessions in the church. It spends much of its time dealing with the question of how a church can believe in the sufficiency and ultimate authority of Scripture and still hold to creeds and confessions and the author does a good job of answering this, although in a booklet this length the treatment is brief. The author also handles the objection that creeds and confessions cause divisions in the church, arguing instead that they ...more
Mark A Powell
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Christians often claim that only the Bible has authority, yet nearly all branches of the faith ascribe to one or more creeds. Why would such statements of faith be necessary if the Bible is the primary authority? Parsons explains that creeds are, by nature, secondary to Scripture yet essential for expounding core truths of the gospel and maintaining unity around them. Parsons has crafted a succinct yet informative examination of the existence and necessity of creeds.
Melanie
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Why Do We Have Creeds was a very short book and perhaps that's why I didn't feel like there was that much to it. Even though I didn't learn much from the read, I still liked it for what it was -- a short book on why we have creeds and the importance of them. I just wish it would have been a little more in depth.

*I received a complimentary e-copy via Netgalley for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
Pastor Ron
I liked the clear, concise, and cogent explanation of the subject of creeds.
Rebecca Stark
Jul 14, 2018
Becky
added it
Jul 15, 2018
Burk Parsons is copastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., editor of Tabletalk magazine, and vice president of publishing for Ligonier Ministries. He is author of Why Do We Have Creeds? and editor of John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology and Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace.

Basics of the Faith (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • What is the Christian Worldview? (Basics of the Reformed Faith)
  • Am I Called?
  • How Do We Glorify God? (Basics of the Reformed Faith)
  • How Our Children Come to Faith (Basics of the Reformed Faith)
  • Is Jesus in the Old Testament?
  • What Are Election and Predestination? (Basics of the Reformed Faith)
  • What Are Spiritual Gifts?
  • What Happens After Death?
  • What Is a Reformed Church?
  • What Is a True Calvinist?