Start by marking “A Body to Die For (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Body to Die For (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #2)

A Body to Die For (Bailey Weggins Mystery #2)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  2,679 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
One of the savviest single urbanites ever to take up sleuthing and still look great, Bailey Weggins made her smashing debut in Kate White’s If Looks Could Kill, a dishy and delectable New York Times bestseller and the first Reading With Ripa Book Club selection. Now the Gloss magazine true-crime writer returns in a story of high style and low murder that goes behind the sa ...more
Published June 2nd 2003 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Body to Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Body to Die For

Marie
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I just recently discovered this series of 'Bailey Weggins' mysteries, this book being number two. I absolutely LOVED this series. It is a light mystery read and this suited me just fine as I grew a little tired of some of the over the top, extremely graphic murder mysteries I had been reading. One critic describes this series as "Nancy Drew meets Sex and The City" and I fully agree. This series has a refreshing, contemporary feel with a murder mystery thrown in. I enjoyed Bailey's sharp, sarca
L.E. Fidler
kate white's fluffy but oddly thrilling bailey weggins mysteries are my new favorite books to read. they are the perfect weight to hold in one hand while walking around a screaming infant and singing "The Alphabet Dirge".

i wish i were joking about that last bit.

these books are easily digestible, well-paced, and fun. they require minimal effort to read and the picture falls into place in a way that is predictable, yet satisfying.

my biggest problems with the series are:
1. bailey is sort of a slut
Мεģαnn
Dec 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think the author could decide whether she wanted this to be a Sue Grafton mystery or a Meg Cabot mystery, so instead, she settled for the worst of both worlds: two dimensional characters that run around like recently decapitated chickens, and a middle-aged main character with the emotional maturity of a high school girl.

The blurbs on the back of the book said that the main character, Bailey Weggins, was down-to-earth, and self-deprecating, which is ironic, considering that she spent most
Denise
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Body to Die For by Kate White is a well written mystery that takes place in a spa. The characters are well developed, likeable and interesting. The main female character is a perfect example of why the book was interesting. It is a true page turner as I finished this novel in one day. My neighbour recommended this book because one of victims’ last name was Gianelli. I just had to read it and was not disappointed! Will look forward to reading more books by Kate White.
Hermien
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced easy to read murder mystery with a likeable amateur sleuth.
Mackenzie - Traveling Sister
The second Bailey Weggins, and a fun read!!!

There's only so many times I can gush about the fun Bailey Weggins series, but I suppose if I'm reviewing, its as good a place to gush as any! Bailey Weggins is a fictional true crime writer in New York City, who routinely finds herself in the middle of a murder scene, and uses her keen journalistic skills and brain to help solve the mystery. I've heard the Bailey Weggins books described as Sex and the City meets Nancy Drew, and its very accurate!

Some
Ren
Bisa bintang 4 atau lebih seandainya si Bailey ga terlalu ngasihanin dirinya sendiri dan bingung ngga jelas milih siapa pasangan hidupnya. BTW, ngikik juga baca review yang bilang "romancenya dikit" dll. Ya elah ini kan cozy mystery tuh genrenya, dimana romance emang bukan fokus utama. Wahai pembaca romance, kalian itu mbok ya jangan sempit gitu ah pikirannya. Romance dikit bukan berarti ceritanya jelak juga -_-"

Salah satu aspek yang bikin ngurangin bintang adalah pace ceritanya yang lemooot dan
Carol
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This audio book is just plain fun. Bailey Weggins is a funny, hardedged (but vulnerable) detective heroine who won’t mind her own business. That’s the premise of all kinds of other female detectives I can think of – Sue Grafton, P.D. James, Elizabeth Peters, Anne Perry – to name just a few – all dream up this kind of heroine.

How is Bailey different? I like her comic side, her can’t-resist-bad-men ways. Or are they bad? We’ve got two romantic guys here, Beck (the gorgeous, kiss-me-hard cop) and J
Emese
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash
Glad this was the abridged version, not sure I would have been able to sit through the full thing.

Love Kate Walsh, love to listen to her, she did an awesome job, especially with 'Dani', but both the story and the characters were just so very blah.

I gave it two stars for Kate Walsh alone.
Katherine Berger
Kinda blah. But then again, I did read it....
Danni
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed book. This one was a little harder to figure out.
Primadonna
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Between 2 and 3. It is actually an enjoyable read. However, too much details tend to cloud the issue. And the ending is just meh, too abrupt. In a way, it is true, this is like a Nancy Drew mystery. Light and sometimes fun and it can be shallow at times. I think the issue with Mylar thing is way too much, the culprit could have done it differently, I suppose. But I guess the usage of Mylar is meant to be shocking and frightening.
Karen Sheldon
Good follow up

I'm really enjoying this series. One of the special treats is the comic relief she throws in here and there. I liked it because I wasn't sure about "who Dunn it" till Bailey did.
Lori
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it, haven’t read her before but will look for her other books
Deb White
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bailey, who is a freelance writer of crime, is asked to help a friend who owns a spa in Warren, MA. A massage therapist is murdered. Who did it? Bailey investigates.
Tammy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. A very quick read, it felt reminiscent of Mary Higgins Clark to me.
Cassidy
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing special, but an easily read, fun mystery. Rolled my eyes a few times but overall didn't mind some mindless fluff.
Mintzis
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A crime writer turns detective. The plot has lots of red herrings, including lots of hunks who parade as possible love interest for the crime writer. Yuck. Too much.
Andrea
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new author for me
Annie
very much enjoy this series
Beth Retchless
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.
Manjit
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder mystery thriller, will not be able to put it away till it is finished. Easy read for vacations.
Alice
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 / 5

Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Crimes et Volupté?
"J'ai d'abord découvert la collection Girls in the City chez Marabout, qui d'une manière générale, me plaît bien je dois le dire, autant par les auteurs choisis que par le design agréable des livres. Puis j'ai commencé la série de Kate White dernièrement et voilà comment on en arrive aux portes de la lecture de ce second tome."

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...
"Bailey Weggins, reporter du magazine Gl
Mikochin
Baru sadar pas liat di Goodreads ternyata ini buku kedua dari serial Bailey Weggins karena saya belum pernah baca buku pertamanya. Tetapi setelah liat review di bawah, ternyata buku pertamanya memang nggak diterbitin sama Gramedia. Ya sudahlah.

Alur cerita A Body to Die For agak lambat sehingga cenderung membosankan. Ditambah lagi saya yang agak sensitif dengan novel terjemahan sehingga sedikit terganggu dengan terjemahannya yang kurang mulus. Saya juga lumayan setuju dengan salah satu review di
Ayu Wirdha
Bailey seorang reporter kriminal majalah Gloss berencana berakhir pekan di Cedar Inn, penginapan plus spa milik Danniel (biasa dipanggil Danny) sekaligus membuat ulasan untuk mempromosikan tempat tersebut. Niat hati untuk liburan malah Bailey menemukan mayat seorang terapis pijat bernama Anna pada saat sedang mencari jam tangannya yang ketinggalan.

90% cerita berkutat upaya Bailey yang memecahkan kasus tersebut. Lumayan bagus cara penceritaan Kate White menggambarkan penyelidikan Bayley dengan se
Kim
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to listen to in the car. Although the reader could use some help on most of her male voices - most sounded 1/2 drunk. But all female voices were good.
Lindsay
Apr 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The reading kick that I was on back in March and April died after the last book I read. I had to force myself to get through this one. I really liked the first book by this author 'If Looks Could Kill', but was disappointed with this one. I realized that I don't like mystery novels that take place other than where the main character is used to. Bailey lives in NYC and that's where this first book took place, but this one was at a spa elsewhere so there was always random people popping up that ar ...more
Azuree
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrepid crime reporter gets involved when her boss’ nanny turns up dead. Bailey Weggins, freelance reporter, lives in New York City, has good fashion sense and a job at Gloss Magazine that’s too good to be true. So when her boss and friend, Cat Jones, calls her early one Sunday morning to say that the nanny, Heidi, hasn’t shown up and there’s no answer in the basement apartment where the nanny lives, Bailey feels she can’t say no and agrees to go to Cat’s apartment to help her in her time of ne ...more
Barbara
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Stumbled upon this author and series when exploring the "ebook" lending library for my local library. So far, its a cute, engaging and enjoyable read. (NOTE: I've only read two books, so far.)

It has some elements of the awful cozy mysteries that seem so prevalent in the genre lately. A heroine, technically an amateur, that goes off and investigates a murder on her own. Her claim to fame - she's a freelance writer, contracted to a magazine and she writes true crime stories. Okay, specious at bes
Noelle
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ACTUAL RATING: 5/5 stars.

BOOK COVER/DESIGN: 9/10 stars. I love the book cover! It's so chic and it caught my attention, which of course, led me to buying the book. I love the design on the back for the synopsis even more. It just oozes of girl power, if I may.

GENERAL REVIEW/THOUGHTS: I thought this story was fast - paced and gripping. I couldn't put it down! I didn't realize that this was part of the series, though and I'm very much looking forward to reading them all! The one who turned out to
  • Killer Deal (Molly Forrester Mystery, #3)
  • The Merry Wives of Maggody (Arly Hanks, #16)
  • Close Case (Samantha Kincaid #3)
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #4)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Dusted To Death (Charlotte LaRue Mystery #8)
  • Murder on a Hot Tin Roof (Paige Turner, #4)
  • Bone Harvest (Claire Watkins, #4)
  • Fisherman's Bend (Jane Bunker Mystery #2)
  • Rough Justice (Rosato & Associates, #3)
  • Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)
  • Accessory to Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #3)
  • To Trust a Stranger
  • Vampire Maker (Vampires, #4)
  • The Midnight Show Murders (Billy Blessing, #2)
  • Written in Blood (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #2)
Kate White, the former editor in chief of Cosmopolitan, is the New York Times bestselling author of several influential books on careers and success, as well as twelve murder mysteries and thrillers.

Her career books include the upcoming The Gutsy Girl Handbook: Your Manifesto for Success (Grand Central, April 3). This a totally revised edition, in handbook format, of her groundbreaking bestseller
More about Kate White

Bailey Weggins Mystery (7 books)
  • If Looks Could Kill (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #1)
  • 'Til Death Do Us Part (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #3)
  • Over Her Dead Body (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #4)
  • Lethally Blond (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #5)
  • So Pretty It Hurts (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #6)
  • Even If It Kills Her (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
  • Horrorstör
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother