Start by marking “The Invisible Circus” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Circus

The Invisible Circus

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  4,962 Ratings  ·  510 Reviews
In Jennifer Egan's highly acclaimed first novel, set in 1978, the political drama and tensions of the 1960's form a backdrop for the world of eighteen-year-old Phoebe O'Connor, obsessed with the memory of her sister Faith.

Faith was a beautiful, idealistic hippie who died in Italy in 1970. In order to find out the truth about Faith's life and death, Phoebe retraces her sist
Published April 1st 2012 by Corsair (first published December 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible Circus

Saffron
3.5 Stars!

I have been working my way through all of Jennifer Egan's books. Because let's face it this woman knows how to write. She depresses me with her beautiful and profound writing. And I absolutely adore her for this.

As for this one, I liked it. I stared long and hard at her beautiful, poetic words but her main character bugged me a lot. I never understood her goals. I mean, I did but I just didn't get the consequence of it. She was extremely naive and then she took a trip to Europe to f
Kate
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Egan's freshman novel, about a girl who, along with her widowed mother, is frozen in time since the suicide of her hippie sister the decade before. Set in 1970s San Francisco and Europe, where the protagonist traces her sister's footsteps. Started off a bit rough but it's smooth now, and quite vivid. One scene on the beach with the sisters and the dying father made me put the book down for a few days -- the narrator's childhood memory was so real and painful. By the end, Phoebe has shed a great ...more
Jenny
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Jennifer Egan's writing, in its fluidity. The story itself often makes me feel like I am swimming in words. But sometimes, I feel like I am being deceived - the characters only appear to have complexity and vulnerability. It is like watching a movie that you like because it has a lovely way of unfolding, but there is nothing that will linger, afterwards. I feel often like the language is much more meaningful than the meaning it is trying to (or not trying to) convey.
Rosie
Nov 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by a friend. I see now that it is in part 'her story', i.e. dead father, suicide sister, etc. so I'm not surprised that she enjoyed it. I, however, feel that I learned absolutely nothing from this book. The main character is an immature young woman, self-indulgent, self-referential, passive-aggressive in her behavior, not particularly likeable. The dead sister's boyfriend is a typical predatory male of the 'I couldn't help myself' variety, prepared to hit the road on a ...more
Afkham
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
when I was reading I knew it'll be a definite five-star though the rating wasn't that high. I really enjoyed the reading. It was kind of fluidal, just going easily and smoothly in its bed,the picture so vivid.
In the end, slightly near the ending, it changed a bit, there was a tumult, a bit out of ordinary things happening, apparently to absorb the reader even more, but it worked vice versa and the worst part was it got predictable.
Anyhow it's a spectacular piece of writing, expertly written.
Jim
If you're coming to The Invisible Circus after reading A Visit from the Goon Squad or The Keep, as I did, you're likely to be disappointed. It's different kind of book, more straightforward, with all the earmarks of a novel whose protagonist, Phoebe, is destined to lose her innocence.

“The dullness of Phoebe’s bedroom met her like a blow: polar bear wallpaper, rows of faded stuffed animals, a wicker chair that crackled when you sat in it.”

After graduating from high school, Phoebe decides to trave
Offbalance
Sep 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After a promising start, this book failed to go anywhere. I lost all patience with the annoying main character, and really had no interest in her quest to find "answers" about her sister after awhile. Her naivete grew wearying, and I longed for the ability to reach between the pages and slap her.

Egan has a gift for description, but needs work on her pacing. Perhaps that improved with her subsequent works.
James
I think Jennifer Egan is a tremendous writer. Her first book shows this talent to great effect, the first part of the book is a brilliantly sad exploration of families and the best of intentions going awry. It's smart, clever and wonderfully well written, each line packs an incredible emotional punch. It then all takes a turn into this odd love story which left me deeply unmoved. If you liked her other books, it's interesting to see how it all started.
Katerina
Okay, two things are clear:

1. Jennifer Egan must not be allowed to dwell onto historical fiction.
2. She is a great emotional story-teller, please go on.

Consequently,
3. Manhattan Beach needs rewriting.
Diane
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Egan is one of my favorite authors. Like many readers, I was wowed by "A Visit from the Goon Squad" (2010), but I was dazzled just as much by the novel that preceded it, "Look at Me" (2001), whose intricate plot is part thriller, part social satire, and part multi-layered identity drama. In addition to being stylistically unique, the narratives in both these previous books shift around in time, even looking ahead into the near future. "Look at Me" was even uncannily prescient about Face ...more
Selene
Feb 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book at 1AM. Jennifer Egan is such a beautiful writer, it' almost inconceivable. It is perhaps problematic to read "The Keep" prior to her other novels, because "The Keep" is so perfect, what with the castle and the baroness and the prison writing program and the descriptions of really good food. "The Invisible Circus" had lost revolutionaries, which are like kryptonite to me--I'm powerless to resist their appeal (is kryptonite appealing to those it renders powerless?). But also, i ...more
Aug 29, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksread2007
I love Jennifer Egan. I read her books in reverse order (starting with 'The Keep', then 'Look At Me', and then 'Invisible Circus'). I love that she explores different themes in each book -- all three are very different. 'Invisible Circus' gets a firm 3 stars from me. I loved the overall feeling of living in the world during a time of great change, but not being able to identify just what it is that is happening even though you still want to be a part of it. Still, she uses a lot of exposition an ...more
Angela Elizabeth
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pat Conroy is quoted as having said about Egan's precocious debut that 'if there were any justice in the world, no one would be allowed to write a first novel of such beauty and accomplishment.' I completely agree! I wouldn't say 'The Invisible Circus' is perfect, but it comes very damn near. It's a story about love and loss, about growing up and about all those significant things in life. It circumnavigates the globe and transcends time, taking its young heroine from San Francisco to the mounta ...more
Marie
Phoebe lives most of her life reeling from the grief of having lost her father and then her older sister, Faith, before she reached her adolescence.

Her sister was a flower child and fell to her death from a cliff in an Italian seaside town. At the age of 18, Phoebe decides to pursue her sister's ghost through Europe to see if she can decipher what really happened to her.

She explores the shadows of the 60s and the flower children and skirts the memories of her childhood. This book is an excellent
Yuckamashe
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books about the hippie generation. Not the political side as much as the freedom and adventure! I am obsessed with the idea of letting go and experiencing life. Which I am too rational to do myself. This book shows the paradox between the sheer beauty and danger of that crazy time period. It's about sisters and the tug of war between past and present.
Ayelet Waldman
I think I read this years and years ago but I remembered nothing. Why is it that I retain so little, even from books like this one, which I enjoyed? I’m so envious of people who can recall with amazing accuracy everything that they’ve ever read.
Elisabeth
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully descriptive book, set in the late 70s. Phoebe has just finished high school and sets out on an impromptu quest to find out more about how her sister died. She heads to Europe, following the path her sister made years before.

The story is rich, both historically and in terms of her own and her sisters internal/emotional struggles. I imagine that most who read this would be able to relate on some level to the insecurities and difficulties that the characters face. And, if not,
Ken
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And unbelievable first novel, yet I was only familiar with Egan's later works, and was anticipating the audacious intellectual flights of fancy of, LOOK AT ME, or the intricately and bizarrely plotted story-line of, A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD. However, THE INVISIBLE CIRCUS is a very solid and readable examination of a family, and how the mood and tone of the radical sixties changed them forever. Although, the focus is on this particular family dynamic, the book also operates as a metaphor to de ...more
Kit Fox
Like, oh my god. This soooo reminds me of the time I deferred my enrollment at U.C. Berkeley to go traipsing around Europe in an attempt to retrace the footsteps of my crazybeautiful older sister who's untimely suicide from an Italian sightseeing spot served as the catalyst for my burgeoning maturity and stuff. And I slept with people. (Sorry.) Just a pretty obvious "good but not great" first novel from a young author; super heavy on extraneous descriptions of buildings/cafes/European streets th ...more
Christine
May 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flower child wanna-bes
Shelves: novels, dark-radicals
The protagonist, a teenager living in San Fran in the early 70s, has lived her entire life in the shadow of her flower-child older sister, who has long been dead due to mysterious circumstances.

In what turned out to be an extremely satisfying coming-of-age novel, she goes to find out what happened, travelling to Europe in her sisters footsteps and encountering bohemian characters (and sometimes tragic burnouts, junkies and users) from her sister's life. The mystery's resolution was surprising t
Hubert
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: California enthusiasts, 60s enthusiasts.
Egan's writing is at times cloying and manipulative, but the beauty of her language allows the reader become seduced into the near-psychotic of the main character Phoebe, and her relationships with her deceased sister. Her journey to discover how her sister passed away can seem overwrought at times, but Egan conveys such a sense of the fantastical that the reader is willing to go along with the flow.
Brian
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for her other book, The Keep, however, I really did enjoy this book. Phoebe lost her sister at a very young age, and she decides to travel to Europe to follow in her footsteps and discover what her last moments were like. This book contains an interesting main character, as well as fleshed out secondary characters, and excellent writing. I enjoyed it!
Meg
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beautiful. The main character is terribly young and selfish, but the writing is gorgeous and the emotions so palpable it was impossible not to feel for her. If only in real life you could have that clarity of thought about what you’re experiencing at each moment. I cried my eyes out.
Sean
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Egan writes very cinematically in "The Invisible Circus", so it's not a great surprise that the book became a movie (2001). By "cinematically", I mean that Egan writes vividly of the times and places that the narrative covers, allowing the reader to truly visualize the settings.

The book tells the story of 18-yr old Phoebe, who is having a little trouble finding a path through life until she suddenly decides to travel to Europe to visit all of the spots that her older sister Faith visite
Laura Besley
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isn't it wonderful when you discover an author, read their work and love it, then realise that they've written a few other books too? I LOVE it when that happens. I highly recommend this book and will be reading everything by Jennifer Egan.
Tuvana
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful masterful writing - her sentences are magic. Plot seems a little improbable but I still enjoyed this book greatly
Jerry
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cris
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Jennifer Eagan learning how to write. I LOVED the goon squad and this (Circus) was really long and boring and trite and just not good. She needed and editor. I am happy she kept at it because she has become so much better.
Larou
This is Jennifer Egan’s first novel, and from what I could gather, her suceeding works were somewhat bolder and more unconvential in their treatment of the novel form than this one, which is basically a straightforward realistic narrative about a girl growing up and stepping out of the shadow of her older sister who had been determining all her previous life.

The Invisible Circus has “first novel” written all over it: While it is very cleverly constructed, there is a certain awkwardness in the wa
Lynn
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will sound hyperbolic, but I feel like I will never be the same after reading this. I need time to process, but wow. What a powerful piece of work.
  • The Old Man and Me
  • Taking Woodstock: A True Story of a Riot, a Concert, and a Life
  • The Goddess of Small Victories
  • Lola, California
  • Blumenberg
  • What's The Worst That Could Happen? (Dortmunder, #9)
  • The Last of Her Kind
  • Body Language: What You Need To Know
Jennifer Egan was born in Chicago and raised in San Francisco. She attended the University of Pennsylvania and St John's College, Cambridge.

She is the author of three novels, The Invisible Circus, Look at Me, a finalist for the National Book Award, and the bestselling The Keep, and a short story collection, Emerald City. She has published short fiction in The New Yorker, Harper's, McSweeney's and
More about Jennifer Egan

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
“And sitting there, sea drifting in around them, Wolf had understood for the first time what kind of life he wanted to live with Faith. Maybe they wouldn't rise up into the sky the way he'd thought, maybe the real thing was doing what his parents had done, pay the rent, read the paper, hell, maybe that was the dare. To live--day in, day out. Just live.” 6 likes
“They sat in silence. Feathers, Phoebe thought, searching in vain for some moment of her own that could rival the beauty and mystery of Faith's act. She felt a disappointment so familiar it was almost a comfort.” 3 likes