Start by marking “Crimes Against Nature: How George W. Bush and His Corporate Pals Are Plundering the Country and Hijacking Our Democracy” as Want to Read:

In this powerful indictment of George W. Bush's White House, environmental attorney Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., charges that the administration has taken corporate favoritism to unprecedented heights -- threatening our health, our national security, and our democracy.

Kennedy lifts the veil on how the administration, in order to enrich its corporate paymasters, has eviscerated
Published July 5th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Crimes Against Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crimes Against Nature

Start your review of Crimes Against Nature: How George W. Bush and His Corporate Pals Are Plundering the Country and Hijacking Our Democracy
Brett Williams
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Costs of ignorance

RFK lists the names, corporations and how many millions changed hands to get laws written by lobbyists from the very companies Congress is meant to regulate. Masters of spin, these corporate-congress lawmakers title their initiatives to suit the media and opposition, such as the “Clean Skies Program” (to relieve toxic emission standards), the “Healthy Forest Initiative” (to clear cut old growth forests), or “Wise Use” resources (land use polices to reward political
Jessica
The subtitle to this book is "How George W Bush and His Corporate Pals are Plundering the Country and Hijacking Our Democracy." There's not really much more that needs to be said about what this book is about. Kennedy has a tremendous amount of data to back up this statement, and his writing lets you know that he feels pretty strongly about it. I would say he's pissed, as we should all be. I already knew vaguely of some instances where Bush's appointments for various government positions allowed ...more
Shelley
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book provided an in-depth look at how big-business corporations are not only destroying our environment, but also our country, our democracy, by turning it into a fascist society in which the corporations are running our government, not the people. It is frightening to see how far corporate businesses are allowed to pollute legally, destroying our land, water, and our health. I realize that this book is a few years old and represents what a past administration allowed to happen, but it ...more
Ronald Wise
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A straightforward attack on the administration of George W. Bush for its attempt to dismantle the regulation of polluters in the United States. Kennedy, an attorney for an environmental group in New York State, gives first-hand accounts of his frustrations in trying to have existing environmental laws enforced, only to find that the current government and polluting corporations can make end-runs around the law through the courts and enforcement agencies. Recent election results made the ...more
Robert
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clear, concise and convincing - George W. Bush and his corporate pals really DID plunder the country and hijack our democracy. In 2011 it was just Robert Kennedy's opinion. Now the whole WORLD knows about the bald LIES that took us into the Iraqi War. Now we KNOW that his lack of preparedness let us be attacked on 9/11 (while he was reading a children's book). Now we see that pals in the corporations, in their blind greed, actually DID plunder the country throwing millions of Americans out of ...more
Thalhah Fakhrizal
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conspiracy
Knowing the fact that US people were being cheated by Multinational Company through US government to maximize the profit. If they could spoil their homeland environment,they could do it also in other countries.
Veronique Perrot
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a review I wrote of this book in 2007. Although my perspective, as a Vegan, has changed the way I see this book a little (I am not a big fan of calling fishing - which is cruelty to animals - a recreation or even calling a family farm "humane" when animals have to die and still get mutilated), this is still a pretty good look at the Bush Administration's devastating impact on the enviroment.

"In this fascinating book by Natural Resources Defense Council’s Senior Attorney Robert Kennedy
Frank
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A well put together case, June 11, 2006

From his pedigree and the title alone there is no doubt where the author's political sympathies lie but this book is more than just a partisan rant against the other side of the aisle. By documenting incident after incident of malfeasance, high-handedness and outright lying, Kennedy goes straight after the people who are causing harm to our nation's resources and planet's life support system for the sake of grabbing personal gain.

I don't believe that he
Armand
Mar 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My free-reading choice for Houck's Natural Resource's class, this book collects RFK Jr.'s frustrations with the state of environmental law during GWB's first term. While the book does a good job of compiling overwhelming and depressing evidence of the cronyism that permeates Bush's EPA, it feels a bit disjointed at times and doesn't read like a clearly conceptualized account of a particular problem. Rather, Crimes Against Nature is more of a catalogue of all the ways in which GWB has weakened ...more
Erica
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Slighty outdated now (published in 04 i think), but well worth reading. For some reason i bought this and it sat in my book drawer at the bottom until i was forced to pull everything out. I am an avid environmentalist and even i learned many things while reading this book. Although the title sounds swayed against a particular individual, the author also includes democrats on his lists of who fails to protect the environement. Most of ths stuff in here makes you critically examine how we do ...more
Erin
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is well-written, and while it told me a lot of what I already know, I also learned a lot more details. The most lasting impression this book made on me was the section on meat production--the stories about the horrible pollution caused by meat production and processing, and the sneaky politics of the guys in charge, have led me to drastically reduce my meat intake. And I love meat. I now try to only eat organically raised meat, or antibiotic/hormone free at the very least. I do slip up ...more
Karen Roth
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is NOT THE BOOK I read, I read his brand new AMERICAN VALUES, but Goodreads does not show it as yet.
It was just published and available as of midnight last night.
Excellent read and fabulous book all about his father RFK, from birth to assassination.
I had no idea he had such an impact on Africans after speaking there during Apartied. For years after he was praised and the same can be said of Native Americans and his campaigning he promised to fight for them and they too honored him. But he
Nora
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Since I Read The First Couple of Pages on AMAZON I had To Have It. I Can't Put The Book Down and Not only Have a Learned A ton Of Things From This Book But I Have Passed On the Knowledge to my Family, Friends and even Strangers. It's a deep look inside every angle of the Bush Administration, it's supporters, it's faculty/staff, It's officers and departments...etc...Details run rampant in these pages and I highly recommend EVERYONE READ IT! You'll Be Surprised On How Much The Government Hides and ...more
alise
Apr 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
this book made me so angry and sad that i had to read it in stages. i drove my boyfriend nuts because i would read a chapter, swear loudly and vent for 15 minutes. despite the throbbing in my temples i'm glad i read this book. ia truly disturbing indictment of the bush administration and the impact their environmental policies have had (and will continue to have) on the quality of life of every citizen.
Will Byrnes
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for an excellent overview of what the Bush administration has been up to re the environment. There is much specificity that shows how they go about their evil deeds. I found his discussion of "The Commons" compelling. Kennedy has been involved with eco-issues in New York for quite a while and much of what he has learned is in this book. It should be must-reading for eco-activists.
Evad
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone planning to vote.
Shelves: non-fiction
Certainly told from the point of view of an environmentalist and a lawyer, this book is not only educational and an interesting read, it is about as scathing an attack on the Bush administration as any you will see anywhere else. This book goes beyond Kennedy's specialization in Environmental law and covers the broad spectrum of abuses of power that have occurred under the Bush administration.
Joshua
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent history book that lays out the crimes Against nature. It incenses people like myself but makes me appreciate the fact we can read books like this in America. Too bad the stuff discussed in the book, it's even worse that far too many out there don't care about things like this happening :(
Perri
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Robert F. Kennedy offers up a convincing case against George W. Bush and his administration's deceitful sabotage of Federal environmental legislation. This is a sickening wake-up call for ALL who call themselves environmentalists on what's been happening in the D.C. environmental arena over the past eight years.
Heather
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Such a sad depiction of the politics for the current environmental policy. I heard RFK jr at ALA last year and was struck by how much of an orator he was and also how much he had invested into environmental law. The storytelling in this book is reminiscent of 'A Civil Action' and 'The Pelican Brief'.
Gaedwyn
Mar 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who hates our government and loves our environment
George W. Bush is being hailed as our worst environmental president in our nation's history. This book talks about what the current administration is doing to undermine the quality of our environment to make Bush's corporate polluter friends more money. I say we impeach the dork, just because he's killing the polar bears.
Cliff
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book clearly shows how George W. Bush and his cronies committed TREASON, THEFT, and thousands of other crimes against the state for personal gain.

Bush was a war criminal, mass murderer, and deregulated the banks and war machine to create instability world wide and threaten the American Way of Life.

Nice work George.

Christopher
I do agree with some of the views of Mr. Kennedy on the Environment and the fact we should take care of it better then we really do. What I do disagree with is the assassination of one party without sharing some of the dirt his own party has done to the Environment. I think Bush was a Corporate puppet though so are some in Mr. Kennedy's own party. If you will bad mouth one you should include all.
Jason
Oct 02, 2007 rated it liked it
About what you would expect. If the subtitle sounds like something that you would like to read about, then you'll enjoy it. I did appreciate reading details of the defunding of superfund and the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine. All in all, it was worth my while.
Maureen
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecology, umw-booklist
A very good overview of the way the current administration is destroying our environment - the title says it all. If you care about nature and future generations, this book will make you spitting mad.
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
While I am interested in the subject matter, I just had to give up on this book b/c it was so technical (names, dates, places over and over). I would have enjoyed it more if it had been written as more of a summary with pertinent examples. This seemed like a term paper to me:)
Alexander Miranda
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone concerned about our environment
This book confirms my suspicions about how corrupt and seedy the govenment really is. It is a book that will make you angry and sad that we as citizens are not as active politically as we should be. Great political read.
Rod
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for understanding how recently (last 8 years) enacted legislation has undone many of the environmental advances of the last 4 decades. With the pending appt. of Salazar to Dept of the Interiror we may be in for much of the same.
Bonnie
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: environment
This book is an eye-opener on the politics of environmental policy.
Unfortunately Robert F Kennedy forgot his idealism when someone wanted to put up windmills in his "back yard" in the Cape Wind Project!
Dray
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: college-crap
Definitely eye-opening and a little infuriating. Bush is the main target, but I'm sure under enough scrutiny that any administration would be guilty of environmental crimes. The amount of damage done by Bush is pretty intense, though.
Dolores  Nelson
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Bush government was about as bad as they get in their treatment of the environment and ruining our country. This book is scary -- the idea that the impending second coming makes it unnecessary to care about the environment.

• Stuffed: An Insider's Look at Who's (Really) Making America Fat
  • Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
  • Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution – and How It Can Renew America
  • The Latchkey Dog: How the Way You Live Shapes the Behavior of the Dog You Love
  • Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, And Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry
  • Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
  • Good in Bed (Cannie Shapiro, #1)
  • The Bookseller of Kabul
  • Moo
Robert Francis Kennedy Jr. is an American activist, environmental attorney, and author. Kennedy serves as president of the board of Waterkeeper Alliance, a non-profit environmental group that he helped found in 1999.

He is the third of eleven children of Senator and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy and Ethel Kennedy.