Start by marking “Nine-Tenths ” as Want to Read:
Nine-Tenths

Read Excerpt

Nine-Tenths

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Leonard Tramer and his family live in Colorado, trapped behind the walls of a totalitarian state. Dedicated to one another and determined to find the free world, they plan an escape which defies the odds and deceives their tyrannical government.

Emerging at a time when personal liberties and Internet privacy are slowly eroding, NINE-TENTHS offers a window into a dysfunction
Paperback
Published September 20th 2011 by Meira Pentermann (first published September 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Nine-Tenths, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jessa
This book was a fairly good read and I found it on Amazon for a great price! While time travel is involved, the book is more of a dystopian - which is one of my favorite genres - so I was pleased by this! It is also nice to find a good Adult Fiction Dystopian once and awhile, as I feel so much of the genre is taken over by Young Adult Fiction, so I really embrace those that aren't YA when I can.

The main character leaves a World much like our own and enters into a World that is very reminiscent
Howard McEwen
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm not a guy who likes time travel stories or dystopian stories. Nine-tenths is both. I had to fight against that. It isn't the book's fault. It's my own hang up: I have a hard time suspending belief to get sucked into time travel tales and the dystopian stuff goes against my natural optimism for the future. I never understood the charms of the classics of this genre: 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Anthem, or A Clockwork Orange.

But I kept reading Nine-tenths because it had something dif
Stephen England
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's a rare novel that's good enough to blow me away, but Nine-Tenths fits that bill. I started this book a couple months ago, and put it down not too long thereafter, a little baffled by the science-fiction nature of the opening and not sure what to expect from the rest of the book. I picked it up again a few weeks ago, and I'm certainly glad I did!

The opening chapters are a little unusual for a book of this genre, but what follows as the book unfolds. . .is excellent. Nine-Tenths reads like an
Bobby
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. A lot of unexpected occurrences along with some predictability made it a worthwhile and page-turning read. The last 1/3 of the book is unputdownable!! I sort of wish Ms. Pentermann had kept us wondering about Alina. Her fate and the breakthrough info on the car wreck from early in the tale occurred too quickly and seemed to wrap things up too soon. But, overall, well worth the read!!
Kimberlyn Bouler
9/10

This story gripped me from the beginning and I finished the book in one day. Entirely plausible environment and relatable characters.
Erin
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I recieved this from a Goodreads giveaway. I have to say, I'm very glad I did.

All it takes is nine-tenths of a second to make a mistake. Nine-tenths of a second can change the world. Leonard Tramer learns this lesson the hard way. He made a mistake when he was younger and has spent the last 30 years trying to figure out how to go back and fix it. With the best of intentions, he figures it out, but what happens when you change the past? You change the future too.

I have read a lot of books about d
Kia
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Whoever would trade freedom for security deserves neither and loses both.” That concept is explored in spades in Pentermann’s terrifying dystopian nightmare, Nine-Tenths. Leonard Tramer finally succeeds in traveling back in time to right a wrong he believes he committed thirty years ago but as we all know, tinkering with the past affects the future.

Tramer is returned to a radically altered present day, fashioned on actual historical episodes of communism, notably Soviet East Germany, but with t
Carole Tremblay
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A suspenseful political thriller

“Nine-Tenths” is a political thriller. The title refers to the split second during which a person makes a crucial decision, and the consequences of that decision, whether good or bad. From the first pages, the reader is enthralled and bewildered by the story. Is this a fantasy? some sort of a dream world? or the real world gone terribly wrong?

The protagonists, Leonard Tramer and his wife Alina face moral dilemmas forcing them to choose between betrayal and loyalty
Kara Prem
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leonard Trammer has lived his whole adult life obsessed with an accident that caused the death of a young boy. He's blown through relationship after relationship, never forming much of a bond with anyone, because he's determined to build a working time machine so that he can go back in time and keep himself from being distracted for "nine-tenths of a second" in order to prevent the accident. He succeeds! Oh, but the accident happens anyway, caused by someone else. Hmmm. It's only a couple of cha ...more
Katherine
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book started out strange, to say the least. The tortured guy who is trying to build a time machine?? Very confusing. I can see why the author would use this in order to get someone from "our" time to a different time where communism is in force. However, it seemed contrived...the guy just woke up one day a different person? But, really, after I got past the first part, I really liked the story. It was a mix of time travel and dystopian fiction. Another reviewer mentioned that it is an adult ...more
Peter
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meira Pentermann Readers,

George Orwell set the bar high when he wrote the classic 1984. A distopian view of what totalitarianism might look like. Many of us had to read that in Junior High. It was supposed to help us understand what a communist state might be like. Then came 1984, and well thankfully the world wasn't what George pictured.

So, Penterman has written a novel where in an effort to erase the mistake that happened some thirty years ago, Leonard builds a time machine to correct that nin
Kyle Andrews
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Telling a story like this is difficult. We've all seen the movies or read the books where some event has destroyed the world and some wacky culture has risen from the rubble. Oftentimes, the writers of these stories don't draw the line between our world and that new culture, so none of it makes sense. Ms. Pentermann avoids that mistake by thinking through the world that she has created. She draws inspiration from our past and presents a picture of what our modern world might look like if the mon ...more
William Bentrim
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nine-Tenths by Meira Pentermann

“Nine-tenths of a second is jus long enough for someone to make an irrevocable, unforgiveable mistake.” This book starts with that premise and follows the actions of Leonard Tramer and how he has to live with that nine-tenths of a second.

The author has taken the wide spread concerns about privacy and postulated a society that might result from a lack thereof. Leonard Tramer finds himself dealing with unintended consequences of a monumental decision to change his
Merredith
I got this book free off of Amazon and when I started reading it, I was excited about it. A man is involved in an accident and spends the rest of his life hunkered down trying to build a time machine to go back and fix it. Right at the start of the book he is successful, but it looks like the same thing happened and he wasted his life for no reason. Only, that 9/10 of a minute really did do something, because when be walks upstairs, he's in an alternate reality. I've read 1984, and this new worl ...more
Tracey Garvis-Graves
Leonard Tramer is an inventor who has spent the last thirty years tinkering with a time machine so he can undo a tragic mistake he made when he was a young man. When the time machine finally works, he finds himself plunked down in the middle of a world -and with a family- he knows nothing about. Navigating this new world is dangerous because no one can be trusted and nothing is what it seems.

Smartly written and with multi-dimensional characters, Nine-Tenths is a wonderful story and in many ways
Henry Brown
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian, political
It took me a while to get around to this book. Not because the hammer & sickle on the cover made it look like a Hillary Clinton biography, but because of all the books in my towering To Be Read pile.

If they all read as fast as this one, though, I might actually catch up one day.

There's no doubt in my mind others have compared this to 1984. Of course it reminded me of the Orwell classic, too. But it truly is a thriller--as fun a read as you can hope for considering the subject matter.

Leonard
Susan
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining and particularly thought provoking read and had it not been for the addition of an attempt to build a time machine in Chapter One this could have been told as a story of a possible future for America. It wasn't difficult for me to suspend my beliefs enough to imagine the reality in which this family found themselves and the setting made use of real places that are familiar to me as well as real government agencies with their inherent flaws, helping me see the story as being m ...more
Jessica Buike
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book blew my mind by the end of the first chapter and continued to blow my mind throughout! The title is explained already in the first sentence: "Nine-Tenths of a second is just long enough for someone to make an irrevocable, unforgiveable mistake." The plot is elaborate and terrifyingly brilliant in a way that hits close to home while being out of this world. It has all the right elements of a great story and is perfectly put together, which is refreshing in the self-published/independent ...more
Steve M.
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: clfa
An imperfect yet entertaining cautionary tale. A man from our own USA suddenly finds himself in a terrible totalitarian version of our nation. The plot that develops as he discovers the truth about his new world and his place in it is well imagined and compelling. My main criticism is the device the author uses to deposit our protagonist into this alternative reality. It is as if she came up with a terrific story idea first and then asked herself, now how do I get him into this world? The revela ...more
Tim
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
All I have to say is "WOW"! This was a book I couldn't put down (but had to because of work). The characters were incredibly engaging. I really could empathize with Leonard and his predicament and with his feelings of confusion, lose and despair.

This book is very much in line with "1984" in the fact that it presents an altered view of the future. It also reflects actual history, especially under communism. I liked all the references (some subtle, others not so much) to East Germany and the Sovie
Steve
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Won this in a goodreads giveaway. A two-part novel one time travel and the other a dystopian view of the US. I had a hard time with the time travel part, it just didn't fit the other 90% of the book for me, that said not sure how else the author would have represented the concept in the title. The concept of the US falling into a police state seems totally absurd, but when tied to the recession started in 2008 it presents a scary view. Overall this was a great novel and definitely fits well in t ...more
Gary
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it

Another dystopian novel set in the near future. The book is well written, the characters believable and story compelling. The totalitarian government uses a fictional disease to cull the population of dissidents and promote an eugenics program. The story describes one man's struggle to find hope and alive in the midst of despair. It is well worth reading. To me, the story is a metaphor for our government's use of the never-ending war on terror to tighten and maintain control.
Tamer Sadek
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad book. Fast paced and interesting....but not worth 4 stars because things just come a little too easily for our protagonist and his family. for example, considering it's set in a totalitarian state his escape is far too easy and there is a little bit of a deus ex machina in the middle too. There are other things but they would be spoilers.

That said it was fun and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.
Suzanne
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Not bad! I was expecting it to be a little scarier, and some of the plot holes were a little too nicely sewn up for my taste, but it kept my anxiety at a steady, low boil throughout. An interesting concept that uses time travel as a catalyst, yet not a focus. This crosses genres smoothly, from sci-fi to alternate history to political thriller.
Erin Lenox
This book is an enjoyable read but i have one major complaint the main character builds a time machine at the beginning, an incredible feat of engineering, however in the course of the book he is unable to build an electromagnet! I guess that a character's limited by the author's knowledge sometimes
Keith Vandenbergh
Great concept at the beginning but then changed into a different story. A lot of character development questions were left unanswered and the phrasing and plot line seemed, at times, quite simplistic and contrived. That being said, I thought that it was an interesting concept and it was suspenseful enough to keep me reading.
Holly Brown
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leaves a lasting impression.

Pentermann has skilfully arranged a story in such a way, that even though I read it two years ago, I'm coming back for the review I meant to leave. This story has left an impression on me and I am so grateful to the author for sharing her talents with the world. If there is any fault, it is that there's only the one book.
Anne
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this quite a bit. But as well all know, I'm a bit of a freak for dystopian novels. And this one was a kindle freebie at that. Hard to know how greatly that impacts one's opinion. Kinda like movies have to be far better to think they're GOOD when you see them in the theater. But on a Saturday night on your couch? Not so much...
Sheila Craig
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-dystopian
Got this as a free e-book. It is a very quick read. Not particularly well written but a decent plot set in a very Orwellian world. To me, it read like the author intends it to be a screenplay and indeed, I think it would make a fine movie. With enough left open ended for the possibility of a sequel.
Alexandra
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
somewhat strange and a tad gruesome look at a type of post apocalyptic future - if you liked the Hunger Games this is along those lines.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What book best describes America's dystopian future? 1 9 Nov 16, 2011 09:19AM
  • The Prospect of My Arrival
  • Tag (The Zumar Chronicles, #1)
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Heaven's Rage
  • Drop By Drop
  • Resurrection Code (LINK Angel, #5)
  • The Sea of Storms (Lodestone, #1)
  • The Beautiful Evil
  • The Missing Link
  • Trans-Human (Post-Human, #3)
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • Stockholm
  • Coding Isis
  • Rhubarb
  • Cloud Crash: A Technothriller
  • Princess of Bretagne (Curse of the Lost Isle, #1)
  • The Discovery of Socket Greeny (Socket Greeny, #1)
  • The Sholes Key (Evans and Blackwell Mystery #1)
I am an avid reader and author of three novels. I love mysteries, fantasy, young adult, children's, and dystopian science fiction.
More about Meira Pentermann

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99