Start by marking “Nourish & Strengthen” as Want to Read:
Nourish & Strengthen

Nourish & Strengthen

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Chloe Taylor has the perfect life: a model’s figure, a husband who adores her, three healthy children. So why does she feel so much less than perfect?

After losing forty pounds, Chloe Taylor is finally happy with her body. What she doesn’t realize is that she’s not the one in control. When Chloe is called as the Primary president, she discovers that managing the highs and l
Published November 1st 2011 by Sisters Ink Publishing (first published October 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Nourish & Strengthen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nourish & Strengthen

Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by the author to read and review. Thank you so much for the opportunity.

On the back:
"Chloe Taylor has the perfect life; a model's figure, a husband who adores her, three healthy children. So why does she feel so much less than perfect?
After losing forty pounds, Chloe Taylor is finally happy with her body. What she doesn't realize is that she's not the one in control.
When Chloe is called as the Primary president, she discovers that managing the highs and lows of a chro
Renae Weight
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This LDS women's fiction novel was different from my typical reading choice so I had to gear myself into the mode of women with real-life issues and the fact that Chloe was going to talk about diabetes over and over again. It's an easy enough transition if you allow it. Hoagland could have been writing an auto-biography for all I know, with the detail and day-to-day reality in first-person. I thought she did an excellent job at keeping the scenes succinct and using nice description. Once the poi ...more
Morte
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book not only helped me understand the emotional and physical struggles someone facing a type 1 diabetes diagnosis might face, it also emphasized the strength and courage that can be found through a loving family and friends. This book left me with a conviction that even though I might not face those specific challenges in my own life I can still find strength to overcome the challenges I do have.
Kbrebes
An excellent read! Wonderfully written, heart-warming, and informative to boot!
Lexie
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
There are a couple of different themes addressed in Nourish & Strengthen. For one, it addresses diabetes and its affect on one family. However, on a deeper level, it reveals a very realistic and relatable look at the life of a Latter-Day Saint woman and the pressures she deals with on a daily basis.

In Nourish & Strengthen, the medical elements relating to diabetes were very extensive, well-researched, and thorough. And because diabetes is a personal subject for the author, they were also
Tonia
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had two books on my kindle reader that I was going to read simultanously through the next couple weeks. Nourish and Strengthen ended up being the one I kept going back to however and reading longer than I had anticipated. I finally just gave in and stayed up late to finish it one night. Without giving away too many plot points I'll just list what I loved about the book.

First, I loved Chloe. I have never had diabetes but have undergone difficult times in my life. There are so many personalities
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
As challenges arise in Chloe Taylor's life, a diagnoses of diabetes is the last thing she needs. But, as she comes to term with a new lifestyle in dealing with a chronic illness as well as her family and church responsibilities, Chloe also learns about her own strengths and weaknesses. She learns that there is strength in family and friendship and service to those around her.

Diabetes is a very personal subject for the author and that is very apparent in the reading of this book. At times I found
Andrea
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Reading is an escape for me. I am very happy with my life, but that's not to say that there aren't aspects that I like to "get away" from at times. If you are a mother and a homemaker, you might be able to relate to this idea.

Anyway, with that in mind, Nourish & Strengthen was a little too relatable to be an escape for me. If you are looking to relate instead of escape, this might be the book for you. Also, if you are a diabetic, or have a loved one with diabetes, you might appreciate the ex
Jennie
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently became a diabetic and found many things in this well-researched book helpful for understanding and adjusting to diabetes. This story deals primarily with one woman's late onset of Type 1 and chronicles her emotional adjustments as well as the physical. Some of her problems and adjustments are different from mine since mine is from pancreas removal and I'm older than the character, still my diabetes is closer to Type 1 like hers than Type 2. I recommend this book to anyone trying to ad ...more
Marcyhowes
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to read this book since I first heard about it over a year ago, so when I was offered a free kindle edition several weeks ago, I jumped on it. Though I do not have diabetes myself, as the mother of a child who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 5, I could really relate to this story, and could possibly have written part of it myself. The book is well written, enjoyable to read, and gives a 1st hand view of many of the challenges that diabetics and their families constantly f ...more
Susan
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read LDS fiction but I found I liked reading about my own little world. I could easily relate to the characters in the book especially Chloe and her struggle to keep everything in balance. I also really enjoyed learning more about the day to day life a person living with diabetes. Uplifting and real. Plus, my awesome friend wrote it!
Jaime
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay

This was okay. I learned quite a bit about diabetes, but it definitely lacked plot. I would recommend it to others who have diabetes in their family,though.
Sara
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. The only thing it gets stars for is that the writing is not TERRIBLE. But jeez, how many pages can you drag out nothing happening except someone taking their blood sugar readings?
Teresa Hirst
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the specificity this author gives to the daily world of a diabetic. It's clear that that is a world she knows and can educate and enlighten readers with true authenticity.
Robbin Peterson
May 26, 2014
Judy
Jun 24, 2012
Maria Hoagland
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
May 26, 2013
Slcoleman
May 21, 2015
Delcie Bushman
May 28, 2016
When Maria Hoagland is not working at her computer, she can be found walking barefoot in soft grass, remodeling houses with her husband, or enjoying campfires with their three children. She loves crunching leaves in the fall, stealing cookie dough from the mixing bowl, and listening to musicals on her iPod. Maria earned her degree at Brigham Young University.
More about Maria Hoagland