Start by marking “Guitar Notes” as Want to Read:

Guitar Notes

Tripp, who plays guitar only for himself, and Lyla, a cellist whose talent has already made her famous but not happy, form an unlikely friendship when they are forced to share a practice room at their high school.
Published July 24th 2012 by EgmontUSA (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Guitar Notes, please sign up.
AP Yes, brought me to tears and made me laugh out loud several times, obviously not at the same time.
Maya No,
But ask your parents first. I frankly wouldn't care if my kids read this book but some parents may not be okay with it.

My daughter read the book…more

My daughter read the book first and when she brought it home it said mature content grade 7-8+ on the front cover.
I haven't finished the book yet but so far it seems pretty safe.(less)

~~Poulomi Sylphrena Tonk$~~
Hello. Hi. I believe my writing has gone all raw after this long a while of not reading or reviewing. This book, Guitar Notes, in my opinion, is not a book. Rather it projects like a song because of the flow that is so easy to mould into. A beautiful story, crafted on introspection into your life and pursuing what you really want to. It deals with peer pressure, family pressure and skyhigh expectations which crush the need to decide for ourselves when its time.

The story is predictable from the v
Melissa
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars

In this book two high school students who don't really know each other are brought together because of their love for music. For the main part this book was a surprisingly funny, entertaining, enjoyable and light read. The other (luckily rather short) remaining part is just a shame and bad choice of twist in the story.

Lyla is (for outsiders) the perfect girl who plays the cello effortless.   She started playing after the death of her mom. Lyla is extremely talented but pushed by her fat
Melissa Frye
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
What Drew Me to This Book?

Music. I love music. My music tastes range from heavy metal to classical and most points in-between. Hand me a book that features two extremes of the medium, throw in characters with opposite personalities and I’m hooked.
Synopsis taken from book:

On odd days, Tripp Broody uses a school practice room to let loose on a borrowed guitar. Eyes closed, strumming that beat-up instrument, Tripp escapes to a world where only the music matters.

On even days, Lyla Marks uses the s
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tanja (Tanychy) by: Glass
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I'm weak! But before I tell you why I should start from beginning. Ha! Nope I'm not teasing. Beginning meaning the blurb cause I simply love it. I'm that one person who always complains how blurbs reveal to much but this one is perfect it has enough info to get you interested in the book but still doesn't tell you anything at the same time.

Now I'm coming to that me-weak part. Yeah I really am, cause it doesn't take much (for a book at least) to go under my s
Purvika
Synopsis:

A heartwarming story about an unlikely friendship forged between a straight-A, classical musician and a bad-boy guitar player told through notes, lyrics, texts, and narration.

My Review:

Guitar Notes is a refreshing story about blossoming friendship and love for music, about choices and its effects on you and around you.

WARNING
If you haven't read the book please don't go ahead and read ....huge spoiler alert....
(view spoiler)
Mitch
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I get the feeling Mary Amato had the concept for Guitar Notes in her head when she started writing and knew how she wanted to end things, but didn't have a specific plot in mind. That's the only way I can explain how this book doesn't go anywhere until the plot finally falls off a cliff towards the end. I mean, the majority of this book's a pretty sweet story of a slow friendship between two very different people, but there's no movement to it really, and when there finally is, I'm wondering wha ...more
Maria Copeland
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Cute and clean, but why do the parents in these stories always have to be the antagonists??
Gisbelle
Now I wish I could play guitar. This book is just so beautiful.
Raph♛
description
Burning Gold (- Christina Perri

good story. cute couple.just one thing (view spoiler)
now that i got that out of my system, let's review this!!

the story begins as Tripp's mom confiscates his guitar, the only thing that Tripp cares most in the world, due to Tripp's plummeting grades. seeking revenge, he trades his mom's coffe
Anna Castagnaro
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Music is so beautiful, it's hard for someone not to fall in love with it. It can come in many different styles, beats, and phrases; and it can give millions of different meanings through it's poetry. This is exactly what happened in "Guitar Notes" by Mary Amato. The introverted and mysterious Tripp Broody signs up for a practice room so that he can play his heart out on his guitar. The perfect and top-notch Lyla Marks signs up for a practice room so that she can practice playing the cello to bu ...more
Katy
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - I really wish GR had half stars. (Rolling Credit Song: Sum 41's "With Me")

WHAT THE HELL?!? I would have given this book five stars had it not been for the end.

The book started off really, really strong for a cute, light read. I'm not usually a fan of short, choppy transitions, but for some reason, it worked in this book. I thought Amato did a great job switching between Tripp's and Lyla's points of view, and the abrupt flow kind of reflected their quick, snappish responses to each ot
Sara
I found this book to be quite enjoyable! It starts off with Tripp getting his guitar taken away by his mom until he can get his grades up. But the guitar is the only thing he feels he has and needs. So he signs up to get practice time in the school music room and use a guitar the school has in storage. Here is where he gets to know Lyla. He has odd days and she has even days. They start writing notes back and forward, and eventually become friends. She starts using the guitar, and he knows it, a ...more
Trisha
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
such a cute story. I love that it centered around music. and that it wasn't focused on loving each other OR Building a love relationship through their experiences.

Instead it was literally about connecting with another person - on a one on one level - through music

and it was beautiful
Mallory Lyon
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Have you ever had to do something you didn't want to do, or been forced to participate in an activity you didn't even like? That is basically the life of Lyla Marks. Well besides the fact that she is perfect. Tripp Broody is practically the opposite, he needs his guitar to survive. Them becoming friends seems impossible, but I guess opposites attract right?
Miguel
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Leilani
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march-reads
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ by: Purvika
We read books.. To escape our lives, sometimes we hate our lives so much that we wish things were different.. And then some books come, as if inspired by our lives, we relate so much to it, it pulls you in, like your life but even more lively.. With more passion, a renewed narrative yet the same at soul... and we hold these books too dear to our hearts.. This is one such book.

More review to come.

I stalled reading this book for apparently three years.
I made zero notes for this eBook, no highlig
Ishi
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ishi by: Purvika
~4 musical stars~

Meet Tripp Broody, (AKA Mr. Odd)
The pages open, and we see Tripp Broody, the school's odd boy's clock-radio alarm waking him up. He sees a note on his bedside from his mom, telling that his guitar, his beloved guitar, has been confiscated from him! Her mom like a Termite, eats up his soul, eats up his guitar, his life! How will he survive without it?!

Meet Lyla Marks, (AKA Ms. Even)
Lyla Marks, school's perfect chippery girl, the main cellist, isn't really happy. She's going thro
Robyn Jones
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
by Mary Amato
314 pages
Publisher: EgmontUSA (7/24/12)
downloaded from the local library
5 STARS

Tripp Broody is not a bad kid. He's not even apathetic. He has simply allowed himself one love, his guitar. As a result, his mother decides he needs more in life and takes his love away. Lyla Marks lies nonstop, but not the way you're thinking. Lyla doesn't want to disappoint the people she cares about, so she pretends. She plasters on smiles and offers the right words. She plays her cello per
Rebecca
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love the story of the high school kids and how they take charge of their lives. This book for teens is a reminder for me as a parent that we can't protect our kids from everything and sometimes it's not even a good idea to try. Parents can be obstacles to their kids' efforts to become who they are.

I like the stuff I learn along the way in Mary Amato's books. This one has information about music and science (painless, interesting, part of the story). Invisible Lines has science I still think abo
Tash
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Tripp is whiny he's like a girl. Somehow he'd rather fix someone's stuff than his own. He doesn't consider what his mom is saying and goes on bitching about it and pulling pranks on her. He's childish.

Lyla has it all but doesn't really want it anymore. She was a bad friend. If you have a problem, you tell your friend and explain. Friends are there to make your life easier and bearable during the teen years. Lyla puts too much on herself. She has a choice and she usually takes the harder one.

They
Cara
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Cheryl
Shelves: 2016, teen-fiction, st-als
I love how both of the main characters are afraid to tell their parents what they really want. I can remember as a teenager feeling the same way. Yes, a lot of times parents know what's best, but it wouldn't hurt for them to listen every once in a while either. Teens are growing and testing boundaries to find out who they are. That's just part of growing up.
Amy
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This book was super cute! I really loved seeing Tripp and Lyla's relationship evolve. Also, major bonus points for for the chord charts for all of Tripp and Lyla's songs! It's so cool! Even more bonus points for Mary Amato having the song recordings on the the website...I have to go try them out my my guitar :)
Caitlyn
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was so refreshing!! The best part: the two main characters, a boy and a girl, are NOT in a romantic relationship (although it leaves room for the possibility). I loved how the main characters exchanged notes through the guitar. It was clever and funny. Sure, it was a little cliche and predictable toward the end, but it a nice story and well-written.
Len Vlahos
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful loves story. The feeling of it reminded me of the late 70s/early 80s Laurence Olivier film with a very young Diane Lane called "A Little Romance." Just a great story of star-crossed soul mates. And really, an ode to music, the guitar, and songwriting.
Claire
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, rev
This is more like 5 stars for the first 225 pages, 2 stars for the last 40 when it pulled out every sappy cliche in the book. But I wouldn't have been so mad about that if the rest hadn't been so good.
McKinlay Dennis
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
this book was sooooo good. even though the parents pissed me off! music can help and heal so much and i just,sigh, i just loved this book. this is the type of book that makes me want to go out and create something!

love, love, LOVE!
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
How wonderful! I feel like I'm floating on a pink fluffy cloud.

Full review to come.
Sakshi Agarwal
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
a sweet simple story .
Loved it
Its short, its binding and its lovely.
♥Booknerdswift♥
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's cute and fun. No romance involved. This is such a great book and a book to read after you finish one book and want to be in that happy mood still.
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
  • Rock On
  • Ostrich Boys
  • Outlaw
  • Notes from the Blender
  • The Vinyl Princess
  • Not Pretty Enough (Not Pretty Enough, #1)
  • Ship Out of Luck (Antsy Bonano, #3)
  • Alexandria
  • Tempo Change
  • Broken Chords
  • The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen
  • Just Flirt
  • The Kiss Off (The Kiss Off, #1)
I write fiction for young adults and children and enjoy connecting with my readers through Skype and school visits. I also write for adults--songs, plays, poems, and essays. I teach privately via Skype and in person.
“Maybe it explains the reason why one person likes another. It's because their souls both thrum at the same frequency.” 55 likes
“You do realize that you are a termite. You are eating through my soul.” 32 likes