Start by marking “Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of Their Evolution” as Want to Read:

Published December 29th 2005 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Dealing with Darwin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dealing with Darwin

Start your review of Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of Their Evolution
Sara
Oct 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Read it for work because I had already read some of the other choices (Checklist Manifesto, Your Brain at Work) and found it very dull. Lots of boring categorization that was not relevant to my life or my work.
Adriaan Jansen
I decided to read ''Dealing with Darwin'' because Eric Ries spoke highly of it. I had really enjoyed Ries' book ''The Lean Start-up''. It was a surprise for me that, unlike Ries, Geoffrey Moore focuses in ''Dealing with Darwin'' more on mature companies than on start-ups. As Moore mentions at the beginning of chapter 3, the purpose of his book is to analyse the best practises for innovation in mature companies.

For me, he main lesson from ''Dealing with Darwin'' is that different types of innovat
Todd Cheng
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
As I nerd working in IT this book takes one down 30 years of technology rises, falls, and competitions. That was nice. It was interesting revisiting the names of companies and how they fit in the larger economy of business.

The hypothesis of the book is that there are two architectures in modern IT business that will make much of a companies revenue. These are volume and complex systems. Volume makes with minimum customization and easy off the shelf use. The other may not make the money as it ta
Brian
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Blah
coolwind
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as deep as “crossing the chasm”. The practical thoughts on various types of innovations can be helpful.
Jordan
May 02, 2021 rated it liked it
A decent overview of a process that pretends to be exhaustive and overly insightful. This book is one that you might pick up for a look into how company’s innovate. This book won’t tell you that but it will talk about the innovation process and come up with an “acceptable” framework for classifying.

This would be a good foundation for those focused on innovation at a very fundamental level. It’s just such a boring book that it’d be hard to recommend for a beginner into the world of business books
Craig Dube
After two months of slogging through this book, I've decide to call it quits with some 30% left. I would have thought that a book on business strategy and innovation would have kept my interest, but perhaps I'm not as high-minded as I hoped. I thought the author did a great job distinguishing between the challenges of Volume Operations Model and a Complex Operations Model. I also found it useful to read the author's discussions on the different type of innovations and his examples of companies t ...more
Jimmy
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cards, profound
As I read this book in detail, not that bad, some sparking ideas and new perspectives, though too repetitive and some items look like baseless fillers. Regarding Lego as Integration Innovation? Come on, are you kidding me? Hard to describe in detail but looks like the theory is just having too many assumptions and having a better form than substance. However, a new perspective is always a valuable complement.

Nonetheless, the readability has been improved a thousand times comparing with Inside th
Greg
Apr 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is probably Geoffrey Moore's best book. Although he is a bit of a one-trick-pony. Everything boils down to the technology adoption life cycle from his first book. He puts innovation strategies on the life cycle continuum in order to help firms figure out the appropriate strategy. They are further broken down by business architecture: volume operations or complex-systems vendors. The eye-opening thing for me was the idea that when you need to cycle workers from cash-cow products or systems o ...more
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro El desafío de Darwin, de Geoffrey A. Moore.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: innovación, innovación, desarrollo y cambio, estrategia y modelos de negocio.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro El desafío de Darwin, 14 estrategias de innovación empresarial para triunfar en el mercado: El desafío de Darwin
Marcin
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really refreshing and surprisingly comprehensive view of innovation in organisations. Personally I found part I + III to be sufficiently compelling as it almost immediately brings images of large organisations I participated in suffocate through inertia.
Meg
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
While the message here is useful, it's conveyed with so much jargon that I skimmed large swaths of it. Read the headings, review the diagrams, and make note of the basic process steps --- don't bother trying to read it line by line. ...more
Maryanne
May 03, 2016 marked it as to-read
Not marking as done this year since I don't want it to count toward my reading challenge. Read a page or two per chapter... Not amazed. ...more
Nic Brisbourne
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Moore has great insight. This book about innovation inside large corporates was a bit outside my interest area.
Juan Baez
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: quit-reading
I actually didn't finish this book. go first with crossing the chasm and then if you are really into it go with this book. ...more
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Must read for any entrepreneur.
Phil Fox
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
An extremely visual exploration of corporate culture and how it must be handled concerning both inertia and innovation.
Marek
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
First and foremost the last part (managing inertia) contains interesting insights, but the main part (managing innovation, about 50% of the book) was deadly boring reading.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A should-read book on innovation for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs.
Rajat
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great business book, must read.
Amegassi Muh'D
Oct 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• It's Not Luck
  • The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
  • TED Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking
  • David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
  • Conversations With Myself
  • El secreto egipcio de Napoleón
  • The Decision Book: Fifty Models for Strategic Thinking
  • Autobiografia de Benjamin Franklin
  • El arte de hacer preguntas: El método socrático para triunfar en la vida y en los negocios
  • Aleph
  • Psicología del éxito
  • Manuscript Found in Accra
  • Hearts in Atlantis
  • The Pilgrimage
  • It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • El fuego invisible
Geoffrey Moore is an author, speaker, and advisor who splits his consulting time between start-up companies in the Mohr Davidow portfolio and established high-tech enterprises, most recently including Salesforce, Microsoft, Intel, Box, Aruba, Cognizant, and Rackspace.

Moore’s life’s work has focused on the market dynamics surrounding disruptive innovations. His first book, Crossing the Chasm, focus

News & Interviews