Start by marking “Bellica (The Third Age, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bellica (The Third Age, #1)

Bellica

(The Third Age #1)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Amor vincit omnia. As a new leader, pledged to dark forces, takes the Sceptre, can the embattled, valiant women of Athering prove that the power of love is greater than the love of power?

All Bellica Yarrow wants from life is to stay the course. Her military career fulfills her childhood dreams and affords her a freedom royalty never did. Yarrow doesn't need anything more t
Paperback, First, 350 pages
Published November 25th 2011 by The Pack Press

To ask other readers questions about Bellica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bellica

Shona Kinsella
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recently finished reading Bellica by Katje Van Loon and I'm glad that I did. The book is free on Amazon or the author's website so if you like fantasy, you have nothing to lose by giving this book a chance.
The story follows several viewpoint characters and I enjoyed seeing the events from so many different perspectives. If I had one complaint it would be that some of these characters only have one or two sections from their POV, making them easily forgettable in such a large tale.
My favourit
Brian Rush
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It’s not often that I give a five-star review. My criteria for this hinge on three things: plot and action, characterization, and writer’s voice and verbalization. At least two of these have to stand out as well above standard. In the case of Bellica, both the story and the characterization are so superior that I can’t give the book less than the highest rating.

The story is set in a society that seems to be a technologically devolved human colony on a distant planet — although the people living
Eva van Loon
I loved this huge book for two reasons: the characters are people I want to follow and the book is rich with possibilities for more story.
Well, okay, one more reason: the women are feisty and the men are lovable. I feel safe in Zarqon, yet energised and brave even in the face of dark odds!
Bellica Yarrow is a child of light although her career as a general has plenty of dark moments. Her sister, the heir apparent Zardria, however, once was offered a deal she could not refuse, a deal involving Umb
Patrick
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is huge! At first, I found it daunting. But as I read further into it, I realized that the plot, characters, and the setting were well-developed and had depth. With plenty of action, romance, and intrigue mixed with fantasy and a different society, Bellica can best be categorized with one word: epic.
Sarah Bird
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! It took me a bit to get into it, but then I was hooked and couldn't put it down. I can't wait to find out what happens to these characters in the next book. Definitely a must to buy.
Dave
Apr 12, 2012
Ellen
Dec 30, 2017
Bob Hate
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2012
Nov 13, 2011
Jo-Ann Murphy
Nov 15, 2011
Which character should star in the next book? 1 3 Mar 10, 2014 09:10PM
Katje van Loon, genderqueer author, poet, and menace to society, resides in the suburban outskirts of the Greater Vancouver Regional District with zir husband and their massive library of books, DVDs, and video games. Seriously, not a single shelf in the house has a square centimetre of space left. (No regrets.) Katje often dresses up like Kara “Starbuck” Thrace and avoids arrest for disorderly co ...more