Start by marking “And Still I Rise” as Want to Read:

And Still I Rise

Maya Angelou's poetry - lyrical and dramatic, exuberant and playful - speaks of love, longing, partings; of Saturday night partying, and the smells and sounds of Southern cities; of freedom and shattered dreams. 'The caged bird sings/ with a fearful trill/ of things unknown/ but longed for still/ and his tune is heard/ on the distant hill/ for the caged bird/ sings of free ...more
Published 2009 by Virago (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about And Still I Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Still I Rise

Brina
Still I Rise is Maya Angelou’s encouragement to women of color everywhere that yes they can achieve great things. These words reach for the heights and that is what every person should do, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, or social standing. It is easy for women of color to think that the world is not designed for people that look like them to dream big, but that is exactly what Angelou’s signature poem does. Entwined with the artwork of Diego Rivera, all that is missing is improvisational ...more
Bionic Jean
Maya Angelou is an inspirational figure, admired the world over for her sensitivity, passion, and advocacy of black rights; she was a vigorous activist, especially with regard to women. The world lost a remarkable influential figure when she died.

So what is her poetry actually like? The word "inspirational" is bandied around today to include all sort of cant and twaddle. I must admit to being apprehensive at the start. Although by the time this collection had been published, Maya Angelou had re
Jean Menzies
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I assumed I would enjoy this one and I assumed correctly.
This is my first foray into Angelou's poetry (other than listening to random snippets) but I have read the first of her autobiographies 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings'. I adored the rythm of her poems, they slipped so naturally from the tongue and her choice of words was fascinating, it really had me chewing on each on certain words and phrases, rolling them around in my head. There were lots of themes of love, lust, sex, the body, racis
Leah Craig
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wishing so badly I was in DC today to hear these poems read at the Women's March.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own backyard.

You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
Kelly

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Do

Remembrance
for Paul

‘Your hands easy
weight, teasing the bees
hived in my hair, your smile at the
slope of my cheek. On the
occasion, you press
above me, glowing, spouting
readiness, mystery rapes
my reason.

When you have withdrawn
your self and the magic, when
only the smell of your
love lingers between
my breasts, then, only
then, can I greedily consume
your presence.‘

Where We Belong, A Duet

‘In every town and village,
In every city square,
In crowded places
I searched the faces
B. P. Rinehart
"Hate often is confused. Its
Limits are in zones beyond itself. And
Sadists will not learn that
Love, by nature, exacts a pain
Unequalled on the rack.
- Second stanza of "A Kind of Love, Some Say"

One of my favorite poets and one of her best collections. Reading Maya Angelou is great, but listening to her is better. I am always put into a better state of mind with her words. Dr. Angelou was one one of the great multi-talented writers of the 20th century as a playwright, poet, actress, and memiorist.
Flaminia
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, just wow!
I didn't actually read the poem, I listened to an actress reading it during a show and fell in love with it...
it is power, it is confidence, it is hope, this could easily be a chant in a revolt or in a march...
loved it
Neil R. Coulter
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
There are poems in this collection that I love, and some that I think are just okay. But what I love about Maya Angelou is her defiantly hopeful perspective on life in all its ups and downs.

"Life doesn't frighten me at all / Not at all / Not at all" (46).

"I was born to work up to my grave / But I was not born / To be a slave" (34).

"I may be last in the welfare line / Below the rim where the sun don't shine / But getting up stays on my mind" (47).

"You said to lean on Your arm / And I'm leaning /
Derryn
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me down in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.
Ana
If you can choose a format, pick audiobook.
Eleni (OverThePlace)
Short poems about being black and a woman.

My favorites were:

Woman Work
One More Round
Ain't that Bad?
Life doesn't Frighten Me
Call Letters: Mrs. V.B.
Caged Bird
Weekend Glory

And of course 'Still I Rise'

.......

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard?
'Cause I laugh like I got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may
Olivia
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This was the first full book of poetry I read. I was in the fifth grade, and wrote a book report on it. When I decided to read it again, the language came back to me before I had even opened the book. Perhaps it was the connection with my own past but the poems made me cry. Even ones that were not sad, or even joyful. The language itself was enough. I have my favorites. Of course there is Phenomenal Woman and Still I Rise, but I also love Country Lover and Refusal. Some of the poems I would like ...more
Kerry Taylor
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and author, due to the fact I find her very inspirational.
In this book holds the key to my strengthn not Phenomenal Woman, which I find an amazing poem, and one of my favourites. And Still I rise, is an amazing example, of how life goes on. I am held, back, I struggle and still I continue, and this should be the motto for each and every woman out there, AND STILL I RISE
Lorraine
Maya Angelou is one of my favorite writers/poets of all time and her book ‘Still I Rise’ published in 2001 shows once again Angelou’s incredible talent. Each verse is also accompanied by incredible art work done by the Mexican master, Diego Rivera. ‘Still I Rise’ is a literary and visual feast.
Michael Kress
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1970s
I listened to the audiobook read by the author. I almost always enjoy books read by the author, and this was no exception. It was special how she put so much of her personality into the tonality and rhythm of her reading. My two favorite poems from the book were "Still I Rise" and "Life Doesn't Frighten Me." They both represent the courage and strength she must have had to have in order to prosper in her difficult life.

"Still I Rise" is about her "rising up" in the face of her oppressors. No ma
L
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Memory

Cotton rows crisscross the world
And dead-tired nights of yearning
Thunderbolts on leather strops
And all my body burning

Sugar cane reach up to God
And every baby crying
Shame the blanket of my night
And all my days are dying
Ryan Wilkey
I really liked this book of poetry. I loved the alliteration in verses, the empowerment of Black culture, and women culture. I liked the no-holding-back attitude that Angelou always writes in. It was honestly a very powerful, and moving collection of poems.

My favorites in And Still I Rise:

"Where We Belong, A Duet"
"Phenomenal Woman"
"Willie"
"The Traveler"
"The Memory"
"Still I Rise"
Elke
i think i've read this? i mean, i listened to the audiobook that is in this row of "other editions" so i must have? i'm just curious why this one (i had added it a long time ago planning (and still wanting to) buy this version to go with my version of i know why the caged bird sings) has double the pages that the hardcover has? books will forever remain a mystery to me.

anyway, great collection, i loved that it was read by miss Angelou herself, i loved the poem she wrote about her uncle, i'm exci
Rachelle
Poetry really isn’t my thing, but I decided to read this because I wanted to read something from the year I was born. There were some I didn’t like and some I just didn’t understand, but there were some really good ones too.
Ka’leneReads
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audibles
GreatRead of Course🔥🔥🔥🔥
sage
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

highlights: Where We Belong - a Duet, Phenomenal Woman, The Lesson, Woman Work, Still I Rise, Ain’t That Bad?, Bump d’Bump.
Kimberly
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s a blessing to hear your mother read aloud. I’m so glad I can hear her voice, and hear her sing. It’s like honey to the soul!
Reyes
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2018, 4stars
Very much a hit-or-miss for me, half the poems I can’t even remember already but the other half are just brilliant and beautiful. Highly recommended.
Windee
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I can’t believe I hadn’t read this book yet. This was a quick read via Audible. While the book would be easy for anyone to read – listening to Maya narrate on Audible is the way to go.
Huda AbuKhoti
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
Lydia
If you only ever read one collection of poems, let it be this one.

My edition was barely 100 pages, and I read a poem a night at first, trying to savour the book as much as possible.

Her prose is vivid. It moves, it breathes, it sings.

Maya Angelou celebrates so many things in this humble little collection. She talks about sexuality, about gender, about race, about poverty. And she does it all in a graceful way.

She taught me so much about being present, about being in the moment and about myself.

I
Selma
first time I have read anything by Maya Angelou; and it won't be the last!
I really enjoyed the experience; some poems left me shaking (some king of love; they say in particular) others made me so excited and set my soul on fire. and just a few I didn't really get.
over all my favourite part in the 3 rd one. the poems I liked most were (in no order): some kind of love they say; still I rise; phenomenal woman; on aging; country lover; one mor round (it gave me the chills!)
Claire
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a vibrant collection, so full of the joy and liveliness that is characteristic of Maya Angelou's writing. And Still I Rise is my favourite poem - bold, sensuous, wry, and powerful, it conveys the extraordinary personality behind this delightful little book. The poems are all striking individually, but fit together to create a beautiful tapestry of what it means to be alive.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
"A good book"" 2 22 Oct 03, 2017 11:07AM

• Fry's English Delight: Series 1 (Fry's English Delight, #1)
  • A Book of Women Poets: From Antiquity to Now
  • My House
  • Renascence and Other Poems
  • The Harder We Run: Black Workers Since The Civil War
  • The Complete Poems
  • Complete Illustrated Book Of The Psychic Sciences
  • Gifts with No Giver: A Love Affair with Truth
  • The Love Songs of Sappho: Translated with an Essay by Paul Roche
  • The Life And Words Of Martin Luther King Jr.
  • The Marvelous Arithmetics of Distance: Poems, 1987-1992
  • The Most Wonderful Tales of the Year: Holiday Memories Written and Performed by Our Favorite Narrators
  • Autumn Journal
  • The Destiny of the Nations
  • North
  • Red Bird
  • Goodnight Willie Lee, I'll See You in the Morning
  • Family Values
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969) which was ...more
“Had I known that the heart breaks slowly, dismantling itself into unrecognizable plots of misery... had I known yet I would have loved you, your brash and insolent beauty, your heavy comedic face and knowledge of sweet delights, but from a distance I would have left you whole and wholly for the delectation of those who wanted more and cared less.” 348 likes
“You may shoot me with your words,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.”
28 likes