Start by marking “Emotional Arithmetic” as Want to Read:
Emotional Arithmetic

Emotional Arithmetic

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Melanie is a mother and a lover, middle-aged, eccentric, courageous, and often hilariously unpredictable. She's also deeply scarred by her internment as a child in Drancy, a Nazi detention camp. Through the humanity and friendship of an English boy, Christopher Lewis, and her self-appointed protector, Jakob Bronski, Melanie managed to survive. Forty years later, Jakob, now ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Key Porter Books (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Arithmetic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Arithmetic

Katharine Holden
Some good bits of writing. Confusing storyline that wanders, but not in a fun way. Ultimately, I no longer cared what happened to the characters.
Teresa Mills-clark
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Again, if we could use a half-star system I would give this book 1.5. Perhaps, I didn't like it because it was written in 1990 and since then there have been more contemporary authors who have handled the material with more plausibility and less 1990's "formula". To me, the formula of that time included random sex scenes which added nothing to the plot and seemed to be mere filler. Also, as a woman, I can nearly always tell when it is a male author writing a sex scene ... the authenticity is oft ...more
Pat
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
I read the book, after seeing the movie, called "Autumn Hearts: A New Beginning". I wanted more character development. Honestly, the movie doesn't really follow the book. Same characters, same location, same history, but how they work their way through the situation is totally different in the book.

Interesting, interesting character development. I found that I liked the characters a lot less, when I got to know them in the book.
Cheryl
Jul 30, 2011 added it
I did not like the writing style of this book... hope the movie is better
Shelley
May 25, 2014
Carpenter
Sep 05, 2012
Jul 02, 2012
Matt Cohen studied political economy at the University of Toronto, and taught political philosophy and religion at McMaster University in the late 1960s before publishing his first novel, Korsoniloff, in 1969.

His greatest popular success as a writer was his final novel, Elizabeth and After, which won the 1999 Governor General's Award for English-language Fiction only a few weeks before his death.
More about Matt Cohen...