Start by marking “Stay Awake: Stories” as Want to Read:
Stay Awake: Stories

Stay Awake: Stories

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  2,146 Ratings  ·  460 Reviews
In these haunting, suspenseful stories, lost, fragile, searching characters wander between ordinary life and a psychological shadowland. They have experienced intense love or loss, grief or loneliness, displacement or disconnection - and find themselves in unexpected, dire, and sometimes unfathomable situations. A father's life is upended by his son's night terrors - and d ...more
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by Dreamscape Media

To ask other readers questions about Stay Awake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay Awake

Bill  Kerwin

Chaon is not a writer of weird fiction, yet many of his stories haunt you in the way good weird fiction does. When a talented writer--and Chaon is one--takes as his subject characters of limited awareness tried by extremity, and when he views those characters with both irony and empathy, something surprising and disturbing happens. The universe of the story appears to expand and distort, as if to accommodate the immensity of the pain, and--because we find ourselves absorbed in the story and thes
J.I.
People must be warned: If you hate depressing stories, you should never, ever read Dan Chaon. I have heard him described as an author of Midwest Gothic, and I can think of no better term. This is a depressing collection, with stories that rear up out of their tragedy so that they may drag you deeper. The endings will leave you without satisfaction, either. They do not give you resolution, though they do point the way down the road where that resolution may lay (hint: you don't want to go there, ...more
Mary
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2013
Perhaps it was the times and places in which I read these short, strange and nightmarish stories that led me to enjoy them so much. They are suited to bleak days and sleepless nights. They will remind you that sometimes there is no hope.

These people are displaced, disoriented, bogged down in loneliness so deep you wonder if they are dreaming instead of living. They tie together unexpectedly and eerily in the final story and haunted me long after the planes had landed and the dawns had broken.
Barry
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book is bleak, really, really bleak. Not for one paragraph will you read something that can possibly produce a feeling of hope in your heart. It could almost be enough to drive you to a life of loveless solitude, because if you believe in the universe Chaon creates here, something bad will inevitably happen to whomever you care about most and destroy your very being.

I bloody loved it.

Chaon brings darkness to the short story form like Carver, or a personal favourite of mine, Ron Rash’s Burni
Ben Loory
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bleakest book I've read since Simenon. The stories are close to flawless, I think, just... BLEAK AS FUCK. Couldn't really imagine reading this again. At least not straight through. Maybe a story here and there. In between dancing in the kitchen to T-Rex or visits to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Favorites:

"Stay Awake"
"I Wake Up"
"St. Dismas"
"Thinking of You in your Time of Sorrow"

But really, they are all pretty powerful.
Mark
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the middle of the title story when I realized that Dan Chaon had written a collection of horror tales. In these stories, human beings perpetrate horrors such as abandonment, abuse, neglect upon each other. Relatives are left to clean up the emotional refuse after events such as a house fire, or parental suicide. I came across one review that labeled Chaon an "evil puppet master," and I suppose that is because he puts his characters through the wringer. Some stories in this collection ar ...more
Renee
3.5/5

This is a solid collection of short stories from an incredibly talented writer. Reading Chaon's work, you can't help but feel as though he is either consciously or subconsciously revealing parts of himself. His flaws, his fears, thoughts on family, love, and death. He is a man who has loved and lost, and you feel the depth of his experience between the pages of his books.

This collection has a few brilliant, eerie stories. The first story, The Bees is so, so good, and so, so creepy. This co
Jill
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Chaon is an excellent writer. I was absolutely mesmerized by two of his novels: You Remind Me of Me and Await Your Reply. Needless to say, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on his new collection of short stories.

Yet somehow, some way, something is missing this time. The stories, all focusing on ordinary men and women who have found themselves in dire or haunting situations, have a “sameness” about them and a certain voice that – at least for me – permeates each one. It is almost as if this tim
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I had a dream I was awake and I woke up to find myself asleep.
-Stan Laurel

This amazing collection of stories provides readers with words and ideas to promote life reflection. I absolutely love Dan Chaon's magical ability :-)

One of my favorite books ever! So far, I have read Stay Awake 7 times since it's publication in February 2012 - I am excited for any new work by Dan Chaon. I highly recommend Dan Chaon's books, especially Stay Awake and Await Your Reply - if you like stories that keep you th
Tom Baker
In the past five years, I haven't read a better novel than Dan Chaon's Await Your Reply, an utterly engrossing story of identity in a modern, digital age, at once a mystery, thriller, and much more. So I eagerly tore into his story collection Stay Awake, hoping to experience more of what made his novel so memorable for me. Unfortunately, while there is some astonishing writing on display in Chaon's short stories, the experience was ultimately only partially as fulfilling as I'd hoped.

The proble
Cayleigh
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This is my first time reading Dan Chaon and I was pleasantly surprised…and a little scared later that night. These stories are CREEPY and I enjoyed that, they remind me of The Twilight Zone mixed in with Tales from the Crypt. Most of the stories are not outright hit you in the face scary, but psychologically it creeps up on you scary. If you are the faint of heart, you should probably skip this book.
My favorite part about this book was that all the stories were interconnected. You’d read a lin
Dec 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a series of short stories by Dan Chaon. These stories are not for the faint of heart/the sensitive. Themes throughout the book include [family] tragedy and death, and can sometimes be difficult to read. The first two stories, "The Bees" is a poor introduction to the rest of the book, as it is, in my opinion, one of the most depressing. Others, such as "To Psychic Underworld" were lighter and thought-provoking. The title story, "Stay Awake" is the most cerebral, literally. About a yo ...more
Lauren
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Stay Awake is the new collection of short stories from Dan Chaon. Despite the fact that I read an ARC of these short stories, each selection felt unfinished. There was no resolution or closure to any of the stories. In many instances, sentences were left unfinished, as in, there was no period at the end of a paragraph. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not. The stories are connected in that they each focus on dismal situations with characters who are experiencing loneliness, grief, despair ...more
Jeanette
Imaginative with strong repetitive suggestions for the real time perceptions of the schizophrenic. Not weird or creepy in a esoteric way for me. But closer to listening to first person case study. Skill is honed in that particular or personality disordered observation and emotive context. He writes close to the "off" bone. Not at all my cup of tea, but that skill is rare, IMHO and as such I recognize that he owns it.
Ann Douglas
How creepy is this collection of short stories? So creepy that, when I finished the last short story (reading late at night in a cabin in the woods, by myself) I hopped out of bed and carried the book to another room so that I wouldn't accidentally spot the cover of the book if I woke in the night. Consider yourself forewarned.
Susan
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories was very dark and melancholy. Some of them were a fair bit creepy but nothing too scary. This is not the book to pick up if you are sad or depressed. There isn't a happy story to be seen. A few were quite shocking with twists that took me by surprise. Dan Chaon is a very good writer and I will look to read more from him in the future.
Cheryl
This collection of short stories is about death, dreams, suicide, loss and losing your way, and trying to find your way back.
It is lifted by small hopeful bursts of humour. “…Their skin had a rosy, post-maternal glow, and they spoke in gently therapeutic voices as they walked around carrying their babies in expensive papooses. She, meanwhile, had the haggard eyes and quick temper of a woman who had just lived for five years with a teenager.”
In ‘Patrick Lane, Flabbergasted’, Brandon notices how
Rosa
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Chaon,

Yours is always one of the first names that pops into my head when I ponder who my favorite writers are. I love the subtlety, depth, and intelligence of your writing - most of all, I love the surprising flashes of sly humor, which often get overlooked because of the immense sadness that pervades your work. You always have such great opening paragraphs that I'm immediately drawn in... you love depicting characters who are "stuck," and I usually can't stand reading about stasis or passiv
Bandit
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Chaon's novels a lot, this was the natural next step, his short stories. And...not so much, which is to say this is still very much Chaon's style and themes, but something about the procession of these short units of despair and sadness that made the book too relentlessly bleak for casual enjoyment. Heavy doesn't even begins to describe it, it's oppressingly so. Once again in pursuit of those invisible ghosts, the characters here (all failures in their own way, crushed under the weight o ...more
Mark
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Thinking of You in Your Time of Sorrow”

Death and sadness in the heartland. Mortality is a constant presence in this collection of stories, sometimes crouching in a distant corner or looming over every perfectly framed sentence. This is a gallery of troubled souls, dealing with a parasitic baby, a brain-damaged husband, suicide, infanticide, various car wrecks, capital punishment and the forlorn parade shuffles on.
Spread out, through various towns and cities, from Ohio to Nebraska, these charact
Katie
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a book of short stories that were very, very dark in tone--all of them. Which I liked because it was kind of different and almost fun to revel in the gruesomeness and in the dark aspects of the human spirit. These were unapologetically negative people and situations--car crashes, deformed babies, abandoned children, coffins, suicides, etc. Don't read this book after you've had a bad day! But in the right mood, it was interesting.

I did not, however, think it was very compelling or any k
Alisa Kester
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I was SO HAPPY when I saw this book on my to-be-processed cart at my library. Dan Chaon is an absolute master (and my personal favorite) in the short story genre. His language is like poetry - and in this collection, numerous times it literally does slip into poetry, in the most natural way possible. I find myself re-reading sections: the first and second time because they were so beautiful, and then again because I want to discover how he did that...right there. That perfect bit of writing.

My s
Marilyn Clement
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 12 stories and a great book. Perfectly titled, I could not fall asleep while reading this book. Each story pulls you in. You are compelled to finish a story, after which you can dwell on the emotions and thoughts that each story evoked, or you can check the time and see if you might be able to finish another story before you have to put the book down. Each story is a gem. I won an uncorrected proof, but would love to add a hardcopy of this book to my collection. This is a ...more
Edan
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at the right time, I think. It just hit me, and I wanted to be reading it always. There is death everywhere here, but also strange little jokes and odd narrators that I can't get out of my head. I love the imagery that echoes and overlaps.
Naomi
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bleak, beautiful, brilliant. I hardly ever give a book five stars, but every one of these painful little stories is a winner. Never heard of the writer before now, but I'll be hunting his stuff out now.
Jenny Shank
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
from Dallas Morning News

Stay Awake
Dan Chaon
(Ballantine, $25)

Dan Chaon has built a reputation for literary fiction that incorporates elements of thrillers and horror to provide plenty of suspense and chills. His last story collection, 2001's Among the Missing, was a finalist for the National Book Award, and his most recent novel, 2009's brainy thriller Await Your Reply, was a critical and commercial hit.

Chaon continues his explorations into the uncanny with
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Book Description

A collection of disturbing and unsettling short stories dealing mostly with death, loss and grief, Stay Awake is short on words but long on atmosphere, dread and strangeness. The tone of each story is like a horrible bad dream. In fact, the epigraph that begins the book sets the tone quite effectively:

I had a dream I was awake and
I woke up to find myself asleep.
-- Stan Laurel

Here are some brief descriptions of the stories to give you a feel for the tone of the book. In Stay Awa
christa
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters in Dan Chaon’s short story collection “Stay Awake” are quiet. They have experienced loss: a person, themselves or a ring finger that popped off after a nasty spill from a ladder. Maybe they are leaving something. Or maybe they aren’t even aware yet of the loss, like baby Rosalie, born with an additional head, part of another baby that did not form and has been surgically removed. Her father imagines for her a time in the future when the girl will wake and hear a voice in her head ...more
Uncle
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not like a premonition of death. It is as if she died a long time ago, and she just remembered it. - Dan Chaon, “The Farm. The Gold. The Lily-White Hands.”

The name of Dan Chaon may not be familiar to some readers. But in the last decade his novels and short stories have been quietly garnering critical praise and gathering literary awards. Chaon is particularly admired for his story collections, the most recent of which is the dark and unsettling Stay Awake, published in 2012.

Chaon’s lone
Elizabeth
Dan Choan’s Stay Awake: Stories is a collection unlike any I’ve read. Although the stories are in many ways horrifying – featuring suicide, attempted murder, ghosts, a haunted house, and a two-headed baby – they tend to resemble psychological thrillers more than gothic horror or classic horror. Choan is wonderful at creating vivid characters, and their nuanced treatment lends these tales their power. I found the book strangely compelling.

That said, the book left much to be desired. In the first
Literary Horror: * Monthly Read Suggestions 14 23 Sep 15, 2017 11:45PM
  • Orientation: And Other Stories
  • I Want to Show You More
  • Portraits of a Few of the People I've Made Cry
  • Baby and Other Stories
Dan Chaon is the author of Among the Missing, which was a finalist for the National Book Award and You Remind Me of Me, which was named one of the best books of the year by The Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, The Christian Science Monitor, and Entertainment Weekly, among other publications. Chaon’s fiction has appeared in many journals and anthologies, including Best Ame ...more
More about Dan Chaon...

“A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.” 62 likes
“There is a stage you reach, Deagle thinks, a time somewhere in early middle age, when your past ceases to be about yourself. Your connection to your former life is like a dream or delirium, and that person who you once were is merely a fond acquaintance, or a beloved character from a storybook. This is how memory becomes nostalgia. They are two very different things - the same way that a person is different from a photograph of a person.” 15 likes