Start by marking “Anytime Playdate: Inside the Preschool Entertainment Boom, or, How Television Became My Baby's Best Friend” as Want to Read:

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this eye-opening book, the first to investigate the explosion of the multibillion-dollar preschool entertainment business and its effects on families, Dade Hayes -- an entertainment expert, author, and concerned father -- lifts the veil on the closely guarded process of marketing to the ultra-young and their parents.

Like many parents, Dade Hayes grabbed "me time" by plo
Published November 5th 2011 by Atria Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Anytime Playdate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anytime Playdate

Melissa
Many parents of preschoolers are on a first name basis with Dora, Diego, Blue - and the many other Nick and Noggin characters that are always available for an "anytime playdate." Dade Hayes, father of two, explores the world of preschool entertainment in this book by providing a glimpse behind several of the genre's most successful shows.

One of the newest offerings, Ni Hao, Kai-Lan,is discussed in detail - from the show's earliest beginnings to the research conducted with preschoolers at a New
Kathleen Garber
I picked this up at the library in the new book section. I flipped through it and saw discussion of actual preschool shows that my children watch which really intrigued me. I loved how the book showed both sides of the babies/preschoolers and TV debate instead of just saying TV is bad.

The book used some words and phrases that I wasn't familiar with like "start-and-stop sonic rhythms" and "casio-synthesizer incidental music." I think there were a few parts where it would have been better if it wa
Beth
Dade Hayes was quoted in an 4/1/13 NY Times article about preschool programming, and I was intrigued enough to go track down this book at the library. Part of the problem is that so much of the book is devoted to the tracking of "Ni-Hao, Kai-lan" a Nickelodeon show that never gained much traction. Thus, the book takes on a dated quality that it wouldn't have had, if the focus had been on a show with a longer run. This may be compelling if you have a career in media or children's education, but o ...more
Kristen Northrup
I have a one and a half year old, so this is a big topic of interest in our house. The book reads smoothly enough, and is more balanced than most, but it has a distracting number of typos and some factual errors. It also lacks a bibliography or other form of citations, which got frustrating. It's not just an issue of double checking things. Some of the studies or articles mentioned sounded very interesting in themselves. But usually not enough information was given to track them down. Not for th ...more
Deron
The topic of this book is essentially how TV and DVDs for the toddler set became huge business in the last fifteen years with the advent of shows like Dora and Blue's Clues. That was incredibly interesting to me being the father of a toddler who watches DVDs on a regular basis. However, the book wasn't nearly as interesting as the topic. It just didn't seem to reveal any history or insight that was particularly interesting.
David
This book is neither particularly good or particularly bad. For people like myself who grew up as TV junkies, it was a nostalgic trip down memory lane (does anyone remember Space Roller Coaster?!?). Overall, the book left me unsatisfied because the author never lived up to his bargain by answering the most fundamental question posed in the book: Is tv bad for kids???
Sara

A. Great idea for the book but the author was just terrible! It was hard to read and I thought it was a little too scientific. The last thing I want to do as a parent to relax is read an interesting subject with a whole bunch of huge words and scientific research jargon.
Desy
Jan 26, 2010 Desy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children
An interesting look into the entertainment industry targeting the youngest consumers. It doesn't change anything for me because I've been a long time believer of no TV for young children. To be fair, the author had no intention of pushing anyone to either side.
Elizabeth
I think you know what this book is about by reading the title. The author writes for Variety so the explanation of children's television comes from an industry perspective, which is kind of interesting. Emphasis on kind of.
Elizabeth
I'm about 1/3 of the way through this and it is good but overdue at the library and I'm out of renewals . . .
Justin Brown
An interesting and unusual discussion with how the t.v. producers make baby and kids programs.
Sara
I got really bored with this book and sent it back to the library before I finished it.
Kennard Robinson
Kennard Robinson marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Sep 04, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Abi
Abi marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Oberlin Alumni
Oberlin Alumni marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2012
Jennifer Cunningham
Jennifer Cunningham marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2012