Start by marking “The Arthur of the Welsh: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval Welsh Literature” as Want to Read:
The Arthur of the Welsh: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval Welsh Literature

The Arthur of the Welsh: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval Welsh Literature (Arthurian Literature in the Middle Ages)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This volume is unique in offering a comprehensive discussion of the subject. It will appeal widely to medievalists, to Welsh and Celtic scholars and to those non-specialists who have felt the fascination of the figure of Arthur and wish to know more.

Little, if anything, is known historically of Arthur, yet for centuries the romances of Arthur and his court dominated the i
Published November 1st 2008 by University of Wales Press (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Arthur of the Welsh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arthur of the Welsh

Nikki
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it
A collection of essays by different authors. Some are more useful than others, obviously: I've only read four of them. The first four, incidentally. They weren't terribly relevant for what I needed, but they have a good analysis of Arthur's role in early Welsh literature, and the potential historicity of the various accounts.
dragonhelmuk
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Bought for £25! But I had lots of vouchers... This book is a collection of essays on the Brythonic Arthurian tradition. There is an especial focus on the three romances and their analogues in France and Wales, and the probable influence of the Breton tradition on the transmitters (chiefly Geoffrey of Monmouth). This is a book that gets quoted a lot, but for me most of the essays were really boring, probably because most of them were very general, and perhaps some of them should have been books r ...more
Flint Johnson
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as an undergraduate, and was fascinated with the breadth of knowledge each scholar imparted on their particular areas of interest. I learned alot about Arthur and Arthurian research. I read it again at the beginning of my graduate studies, and found it to be a tremendous resource for scholars, ideas, and research papers. I have returned to it again and again, for pleasure, for research, for ideas. It is a masterful work in that it took all of the contemporary experts in the fiel ...more
Dr. Andrew Higgins
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant collection of papers on Arthur in Old/Medieval Welsh literature - a strong strain of the "soup" that makes up the cauldron of Arthurian myth and legend, Excellent chapters on the characters and Welsh/Celtic origins of Merlin (both the wildman of the woods and the other more recognizable one) and Tristan. A must read for lovers of all things Arthurian and one I will refer to as I journey through my re-investigation of the entire Arthurian corpus.
Aubrey Bierwirth
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Must read collection of scholarship for anyone interested in Arthurian Welsh literature, or indeed in Arthurian literature full stop.
Bruce Macfarlane
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The papers in this book and the ones on the English and French give an excellent in depth knowledge of the development of Arthur in western Europe
Claire
Stephen Inkpen
Sep 24, 2014
Frida Leijon Lundqvist
Mar 16, 2014

Arthurian Literature in the Middle Ages (8 books)
  • The Arthur of the French: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval French and Occitan Literature
  • The Arthur of Medieval Latin Literature: The Development and Dissemination of the Arthurian Legend in Medieval Latin
  • The Arthur of the North: The Arthurian Legend in the Norse and Rus’ Realms
  • The Arthur of the Germans: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval German Literature and Life
  • The Arthur of the English: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval English Life and Literature
  • The Arthur of the Italians: The Arthurian Legend in Medieval Italian Literature and Culture
  • The Arthur of the Iberians: The Arthurian Legends in the Spanish and Portuguese Worlds