Start by marking “A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences: Tales from the Archives, Collection 1” as Want to Read:
A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences: Tales from the Archives, Collection 1

A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences: Tales from the Archives, Collection 1

(Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences anthology 1)

Tales from the Archives are short stories set in the world of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences. They explore events mentioned in the novels, characters seen and unseen and may include novel teasers of things to come. This volume includes:

The Evil that Befell Sampson by Philippa Ballantine

Eliza D Braun is a young field agent in the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences (Sout
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 65 pages
Published September 20th 2011 by ImagineThat! Studios (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5
A four-story collection, one of them featuring the protagonist of Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series, Eliza Braun.

The Evil that Befell Sampson by Philippa Ballantine tells about the events that led to Eliza Braun's transfer from New Zealand to England.

Dust on the Davenport by O.M. Grey is a ghost story. I've read this one before.

The Astonishing Amulet of Amenartas by Nathan Lowell
Agent Heathcliff Durham is on an assignment to find Africa an Amulet that seems to be cursed for the wearer
Melissa Hayden
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-pile
Eliza is summoned to visit with Mrs. Kate Shepard, her ideal and hopefully to be her mother-in-law, who has need of Eliza's expertise with questionable happenings; women of the suffrage changing their minds and sides. A Mr. Fish seems to be visiting these women as Eliza finds, with a persuasive bracelet ~ the Circlet of Dalila, and item from the Archives gone missing while on loan. Kate and her suffrage's petition to Parliament could be in danger...

When the story started we got to hear both Agen
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
The Evil that Befell Sampson by Pip Ballantine:
Story of how Eliza Braun had to leave New Zealand because of a suffragist ruckus. She also had a true love named Douglas who is the son of on of the two Kates... I wonder if he shall ever reappear...

The Astonishing Amulet of Amenartas by Nathan Lowell:
A Rider Haggardesque story about an enchanted necklace. A little racist more than a little boring and too caught up in the contraptions of Steampunk. Also, a mechnical/Steampun version of The Luggage f
Benjamin Thomas
This collection of four short stories set in the steampunk world of “The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences” turned out better than I expected. Only the first story is by one of the two primary authors of the book series (Pip Ballantine), hence my concern with this “shared world” approach. But not to worry, each one of the four stories is a worthy read. Still, I enjoyed that first one the best, probably because it detailed a key event in Eliza’s early career that is mentioned more than once in the ...more
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
I listened to these, and I loved the first story (by Philippa Ballantine). I had to stop both the second and third party way through. The reading in the second was painful to the my ears. The 3rd was the first Nathan Lowell story I have ever disliked (prior to this 4 stars is the lowest I have ever rated his work), being correct to the period came through as so painfully racist I couldn't stomach it. I'm not going to try any more of them.
Melissa
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-audiobooks
This collection of stories are from the archives of the Peculiar Occurrences office on what the various spies have been doing and the mysterious reports Eliza and Wellington talk about. It is a fun collection and can be read as a standalone if you haven't read any of the books in the series. My favorite story was Eliza and Wellington's story but I also enjoyed the rest as well. Most of the books are done by various narrators and so there is a mix of good and okay storytellers just as there are s ...more
Alexandra
The first story, "The Evil that Befell Sampson" is the back-story for The Janus Affair, although events take place prior to Phoenix Rising. Chronologically then it could be considered "Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences .5", but I would suggest readers hold off reading it until after (at least) reading Phoenix Rising. I think it was much more fun to jump into Phoenix Rising completely fresh and let the characters unfold. But fans of these two books will probably be interested in reading this story ...more
Declan Waters
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
My first foray into this world, having backed a story on kickstarter. Containing 4 stories set in the world of 'Peculiar Occurances' they are quick paced fun little Steampunk stories.
A nice introduction to the Ministry, and will definitely be continuing with the other collections.
Lisa Kuhn
Doc
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
An excellent anthology of audio tales in the world of Tee Morris and Philippa Ballantine's Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences. I look forward to volume 2. And I can only hope to someday be asked to add a tale of my own...

Ripping stuff.
Fern
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute concept of spinoff short stories from the series. Would be better with tighter editing to catch the grammar mistakes. Otherwise it just looks like a cynical cheap attempt to make money off fans.
Anna
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Background short stories for the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences. Entertaining.
Alexandra
Just plain Fun!
pdarnold
An interesting collection of short stories. I thoroughly enjoyed the steampunk aspects. The ghost story not as much. Will be seeking out further collections.
Adrienne
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who likes the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences will love these short stories!
Naedria
Oct 13, 2011
Marie
Jul 11, 2012

• Aladdin and His Wonderfully Infernal Device
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Chasing the Bard (Fey #1)
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • The Immersion Book of Steampunk
  • Warrior Women
  • Westward Weird
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Avalon Revisited
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
  • Blood is Red
  • In An Iron Cage: The Magic of Steampunk
  • Brass Legionnaire (The Steam Empire Chronicles #1)
  • This Strange Way of Dying: Stories of Magic, Desire and the Fantastic
  • 7th Son: Deceit (7th Son, #2)
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • The Constantine Affliction
Born and raised in Wellington, New Zealand, Philippa is a writer and podcaster of fantasy fiction.
Immersed in books from an early age, she moved onto to become a librarian. She'd been dreaming of being a writer since a teenager, but in the last ten years she's devoted herself to it.
She's the author of the Books of the Order series from Ace Books. Geist, Spectyr, Wrayth (2012) and Harbinger (2013)

Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences (6 books)
  • Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #1)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #3)
  • The Diamond Conspiracy (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #4)
  • The Ghost Rebellion (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #5)
  • Operation: Endgame (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #6)