Start by marking “The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate, #2)

The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,716 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
When Kate travels to Blade, Oregon, to spend a quiet vacation with her Aunt Melanie, she has no idea of the adventures that lie ahead. Blade, Oregon is home of the magical Lost Crater, in which a grove of giant readwood trees has remained untouched for thousands of years. Now the ancient grove has become the center of a major dispute between those who wish to save this rar ...more
Published August 15th 1994 by Tor Books (first published September 16th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Ancient One, please sign up.
JanEyre9 It's been years since I've read it but I believe I enjoyed it when I was around 12.

Tabitha
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book several times. I tend to wait until I have forgotten the end or at least parts of the middle before reading it again. Since I've probably read it 4 times now (over a 15 year span), it probably merits more stars. That being said, its probably close to 3.25 stars in terms of writing and creativity for an adult. However, the twist with the Native American culture and the time travel adventure make the book quite enjoyable. Further, its written for young adults and I think I re ...more
X
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to X by: Q
I've been meaning to read this book for probably ten years, and I am happy I finally did! Fortunately, it is a stand alone book as I don't remember much about the first book in the trilogy. It's a good story of magic, time travel and lost cultures with a prominent - but not obnoxiously so - environmental message.
Jeni C.
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of my favorite books in middle school. I took it with me to college, and I really enjoy revisiting it. The plot is engaging, magical, and it makes you think about the life you lead.
Kelsi
3.5 out of 5 stars. Review to come.
Zooheather
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read for all ages.

I first read this in grade school or junior high and loved it then. Kate is a strong, female protagonist and a great person for a young girl to read about. I appreciated that even with the strong environmental themes, Barron still recognized the challenge of people needing jobs and valuing the individuals who do cut down trees by making some of the loggers more human rather than completely evil (like one).

After just rereading Heartlight, however, Kate's developmen
Melanti
Jan 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Well written but it suffers a bit from being a little dated, formulaic, and simplistic.

I'm a tree hugger, but Barron's brushing off of the townsfolk's economic concerns just rubbed me the wrong way. "Well, it's your own fault that you don't have any trees to cut down anymore" might be completely true, but it's not really a productive thing to say when you're trying to persuade people.

"This would only delay the inevitable for about a year" is a little more productive - there's more substance to i
Roybot
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A teen and her great aunt try to save an untouched forest from destruction at the hands of loggers desperate for work in a weak economy. Also, she travels through time, meets a bunch of supernatural creatures, and fights a demon dinosaur.

The Ancient One is exactly the kind book I devoured when I was in elementary/middle school. The magical elements remind me of The Neverending Story a little, and I liked Kate's pluck and courage. The moral is hammered home perhaps a little bit too heavy-handedl
Ryan Mishap
Can't resist those books set in Oregon. A teenager has to move in with her Grandma in a little logging town. There, she is caught up in the debate over logging the last remaining forest--but people think it is in a crater lake-like natural fortress which no one has been able to get into. The loggers are determined to blast a way in and the grandma is determined to stop them.
Meanwhile, the teenager is transported back in time to when the native people's of the area lived in the crater. Events
Stuart Phoenix
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I've not read this book for a very long time. I believe I read it when I was in second or third grade, after my sister told me it was good. It made such a lasting impression on us both that for years we tried to find it again. I'm nearly 30 now and I still think about how much I enjoyed it way back when. I think it says a lot about a book if it can stick with someone for most of their lives like that. Got a young reader in the house? Give them this and feed their mind holes, it'll be w ...more
Ronna
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I cried at the end of it.

The emotion that this book managed to evoke was brilliant. I hadn't read the first one in the series, hadn't even heard of it, but I picked this one up because I enjoyed the other books this author writes.' It is one of those books that makes a home in your heart and never leaves.
Mkatherinejohnson
I don't like to rate something by T.A. Baron so low, but this book, being plot-driven rather than character-driven, was not to my taste. The characters were simple and flat, but likable. The plot was simple but not entirely predictable. There was plenty of rich setting description which sometimes grew dry. In spite of those things, the ideas and the sense of hope which the book left me with are still lingering in my mind.
Megan
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many of the other reviewers, I read this in middle school. It remains one of my favorite books. It has a message I feel that we all need to hear and in a sea of fantasy novels, the story still stands out to me. This is one to read.
Amanda
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been going back and rating some of my favorite novels from my teenage years. I just loved this one.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that inspired my desire to visit the Pacific Northwest all those many years ago. Enjoyable to read it again.
Ruth
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing beyond words!
Liane
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorites when I was younger! I remember buying a copy at my 7th grade book fair. I read it so many times I finally had to get rid of it because pages were falling out of it. I was ecstatic to find it at the library I work at. A wonderful story that is more than just about magic and time traveling. A deeper theme of taking care of our earth runs through the book. I loved rereading this as an adult. I recently shared this book in a book talk. I hope a whole new generation can c ...more
Jenna Brooks
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sim
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading the Kate series in reverse order having started with The Merlin Effect. The second book doesn't disappoint and Kate remains courageous and compassionate. Now I'm off to read Book #1. Highly recommended as a fun read if you like adventure with a bit of fantasy and time travel thrown in.
David Wiley
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Barron’s first two books in his Atlantis series, so I was more than willing to take a look at this book when the opportunity arose. The Ancient One has been re-released to celebrate its 25th anniversary, featuring a female protagonist during a time when few books were writing strong female main characters. Overall this was a fun and enjoyable read in spite of its few flaws.

The main character, Kate, is the sort of main character you can admire and cheer for. She is a bright spot
Kaila
I remember reading this for a book report when I was maybe in the 5th grade. I thought I would revisit it, because I remember liking it. Wowzers, how the times change.

It's a heroine, so that's cool. But she's a white heroine, here to save the natives. She actually ended up helping out (view spoiler) more than the natives, but it was still weird and "The white girl will save us all" tropey.

The writing is...how can I put this. Inane? Immature? Terms such as "Suddenly
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Picked this up because of the rave review on the back from Madeleine L'Engle. I'm not surprised they solicited her for a blurb, as it's a quite similar story to her "An Acceptable Time" - young girl and a problematic young man travel back in time to meet a Native American tribe. This book however, takes a more typical quest-story format, has more fantastic elements, and has a more blatant (but well-done) environmentalist message. (The main plot element has to do with saving a lost stand of ancie ...more
Charlie Hyde
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crosby
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read this book because it happened to be at the top of a pile of books that my student group was preparing for a fundraiser. It is essentially a fantasy with an environmental theme. I could see where it would capture the interest of a younger reader but for me it was too simplistic. If the reader can get through the first third of the book which is difficult to do if one is looking for a "strong hook", the time travel and subsequent adventures will hold interest for those with good imaginat ...more
Lizzy
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loves
I can’t count how many times I’ve read this book and it will always be one of my my favorites. But this was the first time I read this with my children (ages 10 & 12). I am so glad I got to share this with them, even if we ended the book in a big sobbing heap together. It is amazing to me the connection Barron builds between human and tree. Who knew one could feel so personally connected to a tree. This is such a fantastic book for any budding environmentalists, or those seeking a deeper con ...more
Princess
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
An interesting mix of environmental advocacy, time travel, native American culture, adventure and fantasy. Though I wasn't that satisfied with the message in the ending because the characters somehow lack action towards environmental preservation. I wished they still did something to continue advocating the Ancient One's plea. But glad to stumble upon this in a local library. I think it would be great if this is adapted to film especially now that environmental awareness is very rampant and sign ...more
Angela
Mar 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think this was a bad book it just didn't make me care enough to finish it. There were a couple of scenes that were very well done but nothing else worked for me. This young girl just wasn't very young. She doesn't freak out even when coming face to face with creatures that are clearly not human not to mention the time travel. For someone who supposedly didn't believe in magic this isn't very credible. When I bought this book, I didn't know that it was young adult or a book two. Neither ...more
LuAnn
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Tom Barron is a really good writer, and I enjoyed this novel, although I did think the environmentalist issue came across just a tiny bit too strong. I had thought the book was going to be more of a fantasy than it was. Don't get me wrong; there were fantastical elements (time travel, talking owls, other unusual beings), but the story didn't really fit the pattern of true fantasy as I'm familiar with it.
Georgene
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My son recommended this book and since it took place in my home state, I bought it and read it.

It's an interesting time-travel book which draws upon several Oregon Native American cultures, both ancient and modern. It takes place in a misplaced Crater Lake, but that's the author's privilege to move things around to suit their story.

If given a choice, I would have rated it slightly under 4 stars, but it was definitely worth more than 3 stars.
Allison
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that ever made me cry! I distinctly remember sitting on our couch one afternoon, finishing the last bit, with tears streaming down my face. I didn't think about it again for a long time, until I found it on eBay. Yay! I bought it, reread it, and enjoyed it almost as much as the first time. It didn't make me cry again, but I loved it. It is a fantasy, which isn't really a genre I normally get into. Nevertheless, it is a sweet tale and an easy read. I highly recommend it!
Katie
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, ya
This is an old friend from middle school (give or take). I love it forever, and not just because the protagonist almost shares my name.

This is the middle of three Kate books, but they each stand alone and are very different tales. This one is time travel and environmentalism and magic and owl people. It was always my favorite of the three, so it's been comforting to have on my night stand for the last few months.
  • Double Trouble Squared
  • Winds of Change (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #3)
  • The Arkadians
  • Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards, 1-3)
  • Dark Moon (Firebringer, #2)
  • Libby on Wednesday
  • The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2)
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • A Well-Timed Enchantment
  • Once Upon a Time (She Said)
  • Quest for a Maid
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)
  • Night Journeys
  • Mind's Eye
  • Dragons in the Waters (O'Keefe Family, #2)
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • Star Wars, Book One: The Glove of Darth Vader; The Lost City of the Jedi; Zorba the Hutt's Revenge
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. He is the winner of the de Grummond Medallion for “lifetime contribution to the field of children’s and young adult literature” and many other awards. T. A. Barron is the author of more than 30 highly acclaimed books, many of which are international bestsellers. They include The Lost Years of Merlin (now being d ...more
More about T.A. Barron

The Adventures of Kate (3 books)
  • Heartlight (Adventures of Kate, #1)
  • The Merlin Effect (Adventures of Kate, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)