Start by marking “Summer of Secrets (Seasons of the Heart #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer of Secrets (Seasons of the Heart #1)

Summer of Secrets

(Seasons of the Heart #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  614 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Welcome to Willow Ridge, Missouri! In this cozy Amish town along the banks of the river, the Old Ways are celebrated at the Sweet Seasons Bakery Café, and love is a gift God gives with grace. . .

Summer Of Secrets

Summer has come to Willow Ridge, but Rachel Lantz is looking forward to a whole new season in her life--marriage to strapping carpenter Micah Brenneman, her chil
Published February 1st 2012 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Secrets

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I wasn't very enthusiastic about this book initially, because it's more women's fictiony than I like. Nothing wrong with the genre, I just don't personally care for it. I actually enjoyed the Christian elements and the scriptures. It felt natural to me, because Christians do approach life in the way represented in the book, relying on God's promises and their relationship with Him. This book grew on me, and I found I liked it quite a bit. The food descriptions were mouthwatering, and I was jazze ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I'm not a huge fan of Amish fiction generally, as it is too easy to be preachy and/or over-the-top-sappy, but this book is neither. This is a warm, down-to-earth story with real characters, and while it never preaches at me, faith is still very important within the story. In this story, an Amish family encounters their long-lost, English-raised sister, and the story that unfolds is so intriguing, so real, that one cannot help but be mesmerized. This is a tale of honesty, d ...more
Carol
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, amish-fiction
Set in Willow Ridge, Missouri, Summer of Secrets puts Charlotte Hubbard up with the best of Amish Fiction writers. The characters are easy to relate to. The mother, Miriam is a widow who isn’t ready to shed her mourning clothes. Her daughter Rachel is getting ready to marry a handsome carpenter, Micah Brenneman. Her daughter, Rachel is not quite ready to choose yet. All of them including Miriam’s Naomi, Micah’s mother work at Sweet Seasons. This book will bring the smells and sights of Lemon Ice ...more
Connie  Lynch
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Amish fiction lovers
When I read Charlotte Hubbard's works I always finish the book with a feeling of Joy and Redemption and Happiness and I know I am smiling. I happened upon this book on a Share Me book rack and was waiting for my husband and could not leave it behind. Summer of Secrets is a joyful story and truly teaches us that God has a plan for each of us in the life, no matter what your struggles may be. Miriam, loving caring mother of triplets who believes one of her girls drown as a toddler. Rachel and Rhod ...more
Deanne Patterson
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Miriam discovers the daughter that got washed away in a flood 18 years earlier as a toddler is very much alive. Rebecca was one of her toddlers but her other daughters were raised as twins and don't remember their other sister. When she shows up at their mother's bakery/ cafe she is shocked to learn she is not who she thought she was . There is quite the uproar in the community when word gets out her daughter has been found alive. The Bishop is afraid Rebecca will influence others in the communi ...more
Linda Bourg
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
My first book by this author Charlotte Hubbard, It will not be my last, I truly enjoyed this book. Love how the characters just came to life, I really disliked the Bishop Hiram Knepp, he made me mad sometimes lol. But as they say every dog has their day. And God's faithfulness always prevails. So if you are looking for a good Amish book read give this one a try you won't be disappointed.
Arlene
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!
Sarah Adamson
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun Amish romance novel exploring the lives of Miriam and her daughters. Having lost her husband to an accident, Miriam has made over her life and that of several other Amish women by opening a very successful bakery and cafe. Although initially allowed by the Bishop, now Miriam finds herself in difficulties as the Bishops objections mount, her long lost daughter returns - dressed as a goth, and her oldest daughter struggles to move her relationship forward with her beau.
Page turning, light,
Mary
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fairly new to the Amish Romance genre, Charlotte Hubbard is a great author! Interesting twist on the prodigal daughter - Tiffany (Rebecca). Awesome book ... can't wait for the sequel, "Sweet Seasons", to come out in September! Love that the author included some of the recipes from the Sweet Seasons Cafe run by Rachel's mom @ the back of the book! Also love that she included an excerpt from the sequel @ the back of the book.
Ellen White
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting of how the twins now grown, and working with their mother. When a young English girl with tatoo's, spike hair comes in, yet something drew her to one of the twins. They actually were three and one got swept down the river in a storm. Could this be an answer to a mother's prayer to see her daughter, and to have the triplets together. An unusual story, ienjoyable and looking forward to the next book in series.
Elizabeth

I have just started the whole series called 'Seasons of the Heart'. Still reading Summer of Secrets by Charlotte Hubbard, so far I am enjoying it. I love anything Amish whether fiction or non-fiction. The fiction books are clean cut and can leave you hanging as to what is going to happen. This series is written like they were back in the day. They are what I call relaxing books.

Thanks Charlotte for some enjoyment books...

A+++++++++++
Kristen
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun romance to read. I enjoyed the characters and felt I knew the family and their culture very well by the end of the book. There were scenes where the author had me close to tears and other times she had me cheering for the characters. And Charlotte sure knows how to create a bad guy! The antagonist in this story made me snarl! All great aspects for a fun book to read!
Karri
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

I won this book in a first reads contest on Goodreads.com

It was a nice clean story focused on love, faith and family. I always love a clean story. So refreshing to read something that doesn't rely on graphic sex and gratuitous swearing.

I loved discovering at the end of the book that the author had included many of the recipes mentioned in the story.
Susan
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish
There were some good things about this book. The characters were WAY more patient and forgiving than I ever could be. They relied on the Lord and everything does work out in the end in a way they would not have anticipated. It is great to see how they can have such a positive influence on others who need them.
Overall worth the reading.
Gail Mchugh
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a quick and easy, great read!! A little predictable but who cares. I loved all the characters with the exception of the Bishop Mr. Knepp, of course. I certainly hope he gets his large share of humble pie.
Beth
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful example of faith, humility, recognizing and respecting while creating boundaries. I think every woman can learn from it especially. I loved how sometimes life isn't black and white but filled with shades of gray.
Rachel
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish-fiction
Charlotte Hubbard's writing was fun and frivolous when I needed a light read between some heavy events in my life at the time. I especially enjoyed the recipes she included at the end of the book, which I look forward to sharing with my own daughters in the near future.
Pam Brubaker
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If someone asked me what new author I discovered this year it would be Charlotte Hubbard

Now I have all her past books to read. I've not been disappointed yet so I look forward to the past and future books.
Marcie
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved this... couldn't put it down... can't wait to get the next one...
Neva
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good read Miriam Lantz has a hard time since husbands death, she stands tall for what she wants. I did not want to put this book down. Good to the last word.lol.
Doris Ware
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
a really good book first of a series. looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I checked it out at my library.
Laura Kivi
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alright
This book was not your typical amish story....many modern aspects to the storyline. The book was alright, but not what I was looking for in the read I guess.
Melinda
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Easy reading, Amish book. Nice story, don't have to think too much, just enjoy it.
Sheila
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great story!
Glen
Oct 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Thin storyline and poor character development hurts this book.
Jeanine
Sep 07, 2012 is currently reading it
The word to describe this book so far is "cheesy". I hope it gets better.
Angela Brocato-Skaggs
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming read for a snowy weekend. I have found a new Amish author to add to my list. Read to delve into the second book.
Krissie
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Jul 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
I felt like the book was trying to hard to be realistic, which made it seem less realistic in my mind. I guess this just wasn't my type of book.
Peggy Clayton
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read and I couldn't put it down so glad the weather was snowing so I curled up and just read.
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • Faithful to Laura (Middlefield Family, #2)
  • An Uncommon Grace
  • The Haven (Stoney Ridge Seasons #2)
  • The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)
  • Susanna's Christmas Wish
  • Christmas in Sugarcreek (Seasons of Sugarcreek)
  • Hills of Wheat (Amish of Lancaster #2)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • A Season for Tending (Amish Vines and Orchards #1)
  • An Amish Family Reunion (Miller Family, #4)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
Drawing upon her experiences in Jamesport, the largest Old Order Amish community west of the Mississippi, longtime Missourian Charlotte Hubbard (a.k.a. Naomi King) writes of simpler times and a faith-based lifestyle in her new Seasons of the Heart series. Like her heroine, Miriam Lantz, Charlotte considers it her personal mission to feed people—to share hearth and home. Faith and family, farming a ...more

Seasons of the Heart (6 books)
  • Autumn Winds (Seasons of the Heart #2)
  • Winter of Wishes (Seasons of the Heart #3)
  • Breath of Spring (Seasons of the Heart, #4)
  • Harvest of Blessings (Seasons of the Heart #5)
  • The Christmas Cradle (Seasons of the Heart #6)