Start by marking “Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)

Awakenings

(Kiera's Quest #1)

Meet Kiera, a pretty, intelligent, and talented girl, brought up by her uncle, and abandoned by her parents. Life is as normal as she believes it to be, apart from the deep ache inside her, telling her she’s different. For years, Kiera had dreams where she ventures into a different reality. She’s not alone; a presence is always there, keeping her safe, yet she feels ...more
Published October 19th 2011 by MuseItUp (first published October 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Awakenings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakenings

Start your review of Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
Dianne
Win Great Stocking Stuffers from Kristy Brown for tweens! Books one & two of her Kiera's Quest Series!
Click on Banner to Enter - Open Internationally where allowed - Ends Dec 13, 2015

Another summer reading gem for kids from 9 to those who are kids at heart! Filled with fantasy, wildly imaginative writing and catering to middle grade readers on up, Kristy Brown’s Kiera’s Quest: Awakenings is the kind of delightful read that turns sometime readers into avid readers!
Zakk, the Prince of Zantra
Jenn, Reader of Things
**I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.**

***2 stars***

Plot synopsis: (view spoiler)

I'm going to start by laying out some of my main problems with this story.

1. Keira's just crazy. Literally, I have no idea what's wrong with that chic. She acts like a
Rebecca
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
'Somewhere deep down inside her, there was a puzzle she could not solve. This feeling made her uneasy and edgy, so she buried it away and kept it hidden. In her dreams though, came the desire to seek it out. And in her dreams something, or someone, was seeking her.'

(view spoiler)
Katarina
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, kindle-books
I liked this book a lot. It was very captivating and fast paced in the beginning which really drew me in. But, I got confused with the characters at some points because there was a lot of characters being introduced at once. But, overall its a good book and a quick read, as I finished it in a day and I'm a slow reader. I'm looking forward to the next books in the series.
Rory Mackay
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'Awakenings' is the first book in Kristy Brown's young adult 'Kiera's Quest' series; a fast-paced and engaging debut that had me more or less hooked from the start. I've always loved stories that take characters from our world and embroil them in adventures in fantastical other worlds/realities. There's definitely a touch of 'Wizard of Oz' and 'The Chronicles of Narnia' to this, which I very much loved. The plot itself has an imaginative twist in the way young Kiera gets involved in the action, ...more
Kate’s Book Spot
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This wonderful fantasy story was action-packed from the very start and this meant that I was hooked pretty quickly. The descriptions really brought the characters to life which made it easy for me to visualise the colourful new world that Kiera finds herself involved with.

Kiera is a brave but unsure character, there are times in the story when she finds it hard to trust the people around her and this makes her feel incredibly alone. I get the feeling that there is a lot more to her than meets
Satarupa
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the author, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side!

Firstly I would like to thank Kristy Brown, author of Kiera's Quest: Awakenings, for giving me this wonderful opportunity of reading and reviewing this fabulous fantasy book.

I read this book with little expectations but was really taken aback by the outcome of this story, I really fell in love with this story, it's awesome.

After reading tons of erotic adult books, this sweet and cutie-pie story really won
Kristy Brown
Mar 06, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
PLEASE note: this series was originally aimed at 9+/ teens. Also, book one was my first ever story and the writing is not as strong in Awakenings as it is in the rest of the series.

***Book 1 &2 has been reworked a little and
are available in paperback as one book through Amazon. ( December 2019)***

I'm not going to rate my own work. I enjoyed writing it so much that I wrote another 3 in the series. If twisted witches, talking dolls, young love, shifters and magical realms is your thing,
LoveBooksAndCats

I RECEIVED A FREE COPY OF THIS NOVELLA IN EXCHANGE OF AN HONEST OPINION

First of all the writer should mention the fact that it was written for 9+ in the very beginning of the synopsis. In my views its no doubt written for children of 6 to 11 may be. I would have given it 2 stars if I hadn't read that it was written for children. As an adult I don't find it very interesting and entertaining. Many events happened with any head or tail of why they were happening. Kiera behaves like a kid and it was
Tracey Jago
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful and heartfelt story.
Kristy has written such an amazing story for both young readers and young adults. This story suited both ages for many reasons. The fact that Zakk comes to Kiera as a doll and he retaionship they develop really suits everyone. It’s like a transition, like being a tween. The inbetween stage of not being a child and not yet an adult.

Life for Kiera was made hard because of Zakk being a doll. I really felt that this story helps young people see what life is
Cora Tea Party Princess
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really enjoyed this.

But there were a few little things that prevented me from giving it a full 5-stars.

I think this could have done with a little more editing, but that could just be personal preference on my part. And it seemed to be a children's book and then there was mention of flirting and it felt a little like it was trying to grow up but I liked it more as a kids book.

The style is great, the story is great and I liked the characters. I liked the worlds too. It was like a modern
Az (أسماء)
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
* I got a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

This has been a fast paced short book. At first things were a bit confusing but around page 70 things were clearer. I have to say that it didn't live up to what I expected but it was a sweet read none the less.

It took me less than an hour to finish the book and I thought it would make a great bed time story. It wasn't filled with thrilling scenes or much action but it was a short happy story.

I don't really know what else to say
Ankit Saxena
The book is really interesting. The story is full of adventure and is good to read. Zakk and keira's quest is scaring, adventurous, fun and is a base of reliable relationship. Keira seems to be as the Isabella of Twilight where Edmund is presented as the powerful hero but the real heroism falls under the Isabella's hands. She came out to be as the savior. However, both are far different & this is just a resemblance.
Although for me, it was good to read and recommend others to go with it once.
Jacquie Talento
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Now this book caught me off guard and was not what I expected. That right there gives the author a massive jump on this being a fantastic read.
Kiera has found a ring near a doll. The doll just so happens to be Zakk who is cursed by the Witch Queen’s spell. She wants all the power to do as she wishes. This story takes you on an adventure that shows you nothing around you is what it really seems. Can Kiera save this world she has been brought into and the people that she loves from harm? Loved
Briony Dannatt
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was brilliant! I like the way it ended as it makes you really really want to read the next one.
The characters I like are Kiera, Zakk, Maddy and Joe.
I can't pick a favourite part of the book as I loved it all!! :)
C.J. Wright
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great storyline. It's pretty short and does make you want to read on once you get to the end. It would be great if once the series is completed that the whole thing is published in one volume. A good starter read for the YA market.
Melanie
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gina Stamm
39% dnf. Just felt a lack of character development.
Isis
I would like to thank Kristy Brown and the International Girls YA Book Club for a chance to read this ebook. Although I received the ebook for free, that in no way impacts my review of the book.

Novels On The Run
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING : 4.5 DAZ, JOE AND ZAKK STARS!!

I am going to say it.

Disney you need to read this little gem.

I can sooooo see this book loved, nurtured and published by Disney.... even a movie.

Oh , yeah! I went there!!

I mean no offence to the cover designer, but the cover does not give any....any..... inclination to the story within. I see a more fairy tale cover.

Michelle  novelsontherun
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
RATING : 4.5 DAZ, JOE AND ZAKK STARS!!

I am going to say it.

Disney you need to read this little gem.

Oh , yeah! I went there!!

This is a most refreshing modern fairy tale with all the right ingredients. Cinderella, Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, I love you all, you
Books
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2013
It’s the first time I read a book where the main protagonist is as mad as a hatter. It was weird really. I never knew how I should feel about Kiera. She was overly dramatic about the smallest things and she genuinely came across as crazy. I was just as confused about Zakk’s character, and it didn’t help any that he was a whiny wimp. As much as I tried, I couldn’t find anything to like about him. It was pretty cool that the wicked witch turned him into a doll, though, and this added a nice twist ...more
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read more at my blog: ReadingToTheStarsAndBack

(The author contacted me and gave me a PDF copy of her book for an honest review. Yay! Usually it’s me begging authors to send me stuff!)

This book started off really well! It was exciting and full of action that made you want to read more!

Zakk, the prince of Zantar, has been thrown into our world and turned into a plastic doll. Also, the Witch Queen is after him and two rings, so that she may rule the earth! It wasn’t the most original of ideas, but
Lynn Worton
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the first book in a YA series for children aged 9 to 16. I really enjoyed it!

Kiera Matthews is a wonderful character. She is a typical young teen with hopes and dreams. I liked her very much. She is kind, caring and sensible. However, her life is about to get very complicated, when she "meets" Zakk.

Zakk is the Prince of Zantar. He is an interesting character. I liked him very much. He is a
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Kiera's Quest by Kristy Brown is about quirky Kiera and her adventures. She works in her uncle's store and hears a voice coming from a plastic doll dressed as a prince. Turns out he's Zakk, a real prince, who has been cursed by a wicked queen. Kiera struggles between being normal at school while also trying to save Zakk from his plastic fate. I don't want to reveal more because there are some great twists to this story.

The
Heathersbookreview
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hey guys! I was asked to review Kristy Brown's short story, Kiera's quest. Here is my review, and I hope you enjoy!

*SUMMARY*

Kiera's Quest follows the story of two main characters, Kiera and Zakk. Kiera is from planet Earth, whereas Zakk is from a planet named Zantar.

Zakk is thrown into a huge dilemma when the evil Witch Queen from his planet kills both of his parents, who are the queen and king of Zantar, and now she is trying to kill Zakk and rule Zantar for herself.

Zakk and Kiera have this
Shaz Goodwin
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kiera’s Quest is a fantasy series targeted at the YA/tween audience.

Awakenings opens with Zakk in a cave with the Witch Queen. This is an eerie scene, full of magic and emotion. This sets the foundation for the action to come.

Next we meet Kiera as she’s doing what all teens do … dancing and singing into her toothbrush … that is until she realises friend Maddy has been silently watching her. This scene endeared Kiera to me straight away!

We find out about Kiera’s family background and meet her
Kristie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I had some difficulty rating this book. The characters were not fully developed, however they were as developed as I would expect from a short story. Some of the things that the teenagers were saying to each other were so weird. Kids don't really talk like that. However, the story is quite original and I found myself interested in what was going to happen. I was a bit disappointed in the ending although part of it was very
Kathy Horsman
Kiera thought she had your typical teenage life, maybe with slightly more heartache added in than usual. However, in her current state living with her Uncle Tom, working in his toy store and having a close nit group of friends behind her, Kiera is happy, healthy and young....that is til she finds a mysterious plastic doll (that's right I said doll!) in her uncle's store and everything in her world is turned upside down.

The "doll" is actually a prince from a kingdom called Zantar, named Zakk. He
Melanie Adkins
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Zakk is a prince and will be crowned king on his sixteenth birthday, if he can survive the Witch Queen. The Witch Queen is determined to rule Zantar one way or another. She's already killed Zakk's parents. She has his father's ring, now all she needs is his mother's to rule completely. To stall for time, she changes Zakk into a plastic doll. Zakk knows he has one powerful person on his side, Kiera Matthews. She is destine to save Zantar and Zakk. Kiera can't figure out what all the strange ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 522} Awakenings by Kristy Brown 27 162 Feb 24, 2016 05:30AM
The Best Teen Boo...: Read for review. 3 14 Dec 02, 2015 06:06AM
FREE e book! 1 2 Dec 02, 2015 06:03AM
Book Giveaways: [Ends Dec 13] Kristy Brown has "Tween" Reading to Giveaway 1 9 Nov 28, 2015 10:34PM
Indie Authors Mon...: Free FANTASY e book! 7 21 May 23, 2015 12:16AM
Kids/Teens Book Club: FREE fantasy MG-Teen e book! 1 12 May 20, 2015 06:20AM
Shut Up & Read: Free e book! 1 6 May 20, 2015 05:03AM

• Eternals
  • Neurocomic
  • The Epic of Gilgamesh
  • The Outsider
  • The Tribute Bride
Hi I'm Kristy and I live in the U.K. I have always written short stories and poetry. I went to university to study acting which I loved, but my real passion has always been writing. So now I write the kind of stories I would have wanted to read when I was a teen. "Kiera's Quest-Awakenings" is my first ebook. There are four in the series, 'Sacrifices,' 'Perceptions,' and 'Choices.'( Muse It Up ...more

Kiera's Quest (4 books)
  • Sacrifices (Kiera's Quest, #2)
  • Perceptions (Kiera's Quest, #3)
  • Choices (Kiera's Quest, #4)
“I feel the most alive when I write.” 2 likes