Start by marking “Arranged” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  8,381 ratings  ·  1,167 reviews
Anne Blythe has a great life: a good job, good friends, and a potential book deal for her first novel. When it comes to finding someone to share it with, however, she just can't seem to get it right.

After yet another relationship ends, Anne comes across a business card for what she thinks is a dating service, and she pockets it just in case. When her best friend, Sarah, an
Published May 15th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published December 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Arranged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arranged

·  8,381 ratings  ·  1,167 reviews

Smilingplatypus
This was a fascinating concept -- a successful, independent woman gets fed up with her failed romances and signs up for an arranged marriage service. It turns out to be light and predictable, with fairly shallow characters (in terms of development, and only sometimes in terms of personality), a bland romance, and an obvious "plot twist" towards the end.

It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong: but it was a bit like eating "empty calories" in that it's rather fun while you're reading it, but afterwards
Colleen
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give it a higher star rating, I would. And if it was published now everyone I know would be getting a copy for Christmas. Thank you, Catherine, for helping me realize that when written well, I love books with romance in them.

Here's my full review, originally posted at http://lavenderlines.wordpress.com

So yesterday Catherine McKenzie's first book, Spin, made it on my list of favorite reads for 2010. I know we're only three days into 2011 but I can tell you that Arranged will make it o
BookLover
I love Catherine McKenzie’s writing. This book was one of my favourite reads of 2013.

I was initially drawn to this book based on the book being about an arranged marriage. I found the idea of arranged marriage in today’s age a fascinating topic and I was interested to see how it would be handled in this book.

Anne Blythe, the main character was super likeable. I became attached to her from the beginning of the book. Her mother’s obsession to Anne of Green Gables and how it played out in both her
Nancy
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason Catherine McKenzie needs to be my best friend. Supposing she is vaguely like the protagonists she writes, I am quite certain she and I would have a wonderful time together. I'm pretty sure I'd have to keep running to the bathroom because she makes me laugh so hard. Because I get it. I really do.

My copy of Arranged is an ARC so I am not allowed to quote it. But if I could, I might just quote a little ditty from when Anne is feeling sorry for herself and finds herself drinking too
Leona
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I'm categorizing this under chick-lit and not romance. There is nothing romantic about this book.

I'm definitely in the minority on this one. I found the story incredibly boring and hard to plow through. Once, the surprise twist occurred things definitely picked up, but by that point I didn't really care what happened to anyone. I found everyone to be cardboard one-dimensional figures. The connection to "Anne of Green Gables" was overplayed. The main character, Anne was boring, self-centered and
Melissa Landers
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was so delicious that I started and finished it in the same day! I found the concept of modern-day arranged marriage fascinating, especially the way it was facilitated by the matchmakers, Blythe & Co. This is a must read for anyone who enjoys shows like "Married at First Sight."
Hilda
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Arranged marriage was the norm for centuries. Romantic love is a modern notion.

When Anne Blythe learns that his long time boyfriend, Stuart, is cheating on her, she ends their relationship and decides to find a new man. This time, she vows to herself not to fall for dark-haired and blue-eyed man anymore. Anne has a type, yes, and all of her ex-boyfriends have that similar look. But it’s hard to be alone, especially when your ex-boyfriend is already married, your brother is expecting the fourth c
An arranged marriage. Would you agree to one? Well, after being frustrated with yet another breakup, that is exactly what Anne Blythe agrees to. Arranged kept my interest from page one. I was so hooked I couldn't put it down. I just had to know what was going to happen in these characters' lives. I laughed, I got teary-eyed, I felt protective of my new best friends. Seriously, I would be best friends with these people...if they were real, haha. The characters are incredibly likeable and for a wh ...more
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tammy Walton Grant
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tammy by: Buggy
So my friend Buggy (*waves*) was reading a really cool-sounding book called Spin a while ago. I added it to my mountainous TBR, and when this book, by the same author, came across my radar I snagged it.

I am so glad I did - this was sooooo good. I loved it, think everyone should read it, and here's a little bit about it:

Anne has a great life, except for the love part of it. She just wants what everyone else seems to have. After breaking up with a cheating boyfriend and her best friend gets engag
Therese Walsh
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine McKenzie’s Arranged explores what happens when what you think you want collides with what you really need. It’s a rare book: smart, funny, honest, and absorbing. I truly enjoyed it.
Candie
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. I don’t even know where to begin. This is the first book I read by Catherine McKenzie and I already know that it will not be my last.

The entire time I was reading “Arranged,” a few of my friends kept asking me how it was and I felt like I always had the same response, “interesting.” I didn’t know how to properly put into words how I felt about this book, but now that I’ve completed it, I feel like I have to at the very least try… especially since I rated it as “amazing.”

The simple (or not
Rachel
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Fun, well written above the rim chick lit with stellar dialog. The premise could've been problematic -- an arranged marriage -- but McKenzie brings it all together.

Good read. Fun, entertaining with a heart connect.

Dionna Johnson
This book started out wonderful!!! Couldn't put it down...somewhere in the middle it started to slow down and was kinda boring. But the end was absolutely horrible and I dislike how the book ended!!!
Stacie Vaughan
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I became a fan of Catherine McKenzie after reading her debut novel, Spin and was excited to dive into her newest book, Arranged. The book follows the main character, Anne Blythe, as she leaves another failed relationship and feels down in the dumps because she is alone. All her friends are either married or are getting married and she is concerned that she won’t ever met the right guy. As she is walking on the street feeling self-pity, she finds a business card for something called Blythe & ...more
Say
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well, another first take on an author and guess what? I LOVED IT....AGAIN!!! Yes, at first I find Anne irritating with all the ranting of wanting to get married but other than that I loved everything about it, which made me give it 5 stars.

And the reason for Jack getting into an arranged marriage? IT NEVER EVEN CROSSED MY MIND!!! You have to read it to know what I mean.

Gonna check on this author again, definitely!!!
Didi
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a while back and remember liking it. It had a very old fashioned feel to it and was quite sweet. It was also interesting to note the arranged marriage while outdated in North American society was the benchmark for coupling throughout history.
W
Arranged

About a woman who drinks a lot and wants to be married, apparently, to almost anyone. The premise of an arranged marriage, among modern people, apart from and unfamiliar with cultural use, is intriguing, but the story fell flat, and then took a dive off the cliff altogether and just plunged.

Anne Blythe wanted love, but didn't, she believed in fate, but not really, she was up for anything, but... you know. The main character couldn't make up her mind, and this went on throughout the whole
Kristin
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it when I stumble on a book that I was not expecting and it then turns out to be exactly what I need. Such was my introduction to the beautifully simple writing style of Catherine McKenzie through her second book Arranged.

I came across Arranged while searching through the 'Deals' section on my Nook. I will confess it was the cover that caught my eye initially. Then I read the overview and thought to myself, "hmm, this is different. I need something different. My book rut is quickly becomi
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Since I'm in a crappy mood this book was a perfect distraction. It's been so long since I properly sat down and read a book. For the past couple of months I can't even force myself to read the books I waited for months/years but Catherine McKenzie managed to get me out of my funk.
Catherine McKenzie
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UK version of Arranged ... coming February 1, 2015!
Myrna
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Great chick lit book! Unique plot, entertaining, and fast read.
Michelle_Mck
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Originally posted on my blog here: https://missmichellemck.blogspot.com....

Arranged has been sitting on my TBR since 2013, immediately the blurb of the book had appealed to me but then it got lost in the too many books on the TBR shelf and I forgot about it. Fast forward three years and I was looking for a books to read that had been on my TBR for ever and this one of course came up. Luckily a month or so back this book was on discount on the Kindle store so the stars aligned and the book and me
Anjana
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I should probably begin with telling you that I adore Catherine's writing. I read her book Spin last year and if you've read my review, you'd know how much I loved it. Chick lits are usually predictable, they have a standard plot that involves something funny, some romance and a lovable heroine but just as with Catherine's previous novel Spin, Arranged is anything but predictable. It has all the best elements of chick lit combined with a wonderful, relatable and unique love story.

Anne Blythe is
Virginia Campbell
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has their own idea of what "Happily Ever After" means, and what it means for themselves may differ from what they think it means for others. Arranged marriages are well documented throughout history, with women often having little choice in their matrimonial destinies. Matchmakers have been "hired" for many different reasons, offering a practiced brand of "love for money". Mail-order brides were the original "personal ads" and the forerunners to online dating. In this day and age, what' ...more
Terri Wino
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-2014
Catherine McKenzie gives good "Chick Lit!!" This is the second book I've read by her -- Forgotten being the first -- and I thoroughly enjoyed both!
In part 1 of the book we meet Anne, a woman frustrated with failed relationships who, on a whim, decides to visit a dating service. However, she is shocked to discover that it is actually an arranged marriage service. Of course, she decides to go through with it...that's the point of the book after all.
Part 2 of the book is Anne meeting and getting to
Kelly Hager
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After her latest relationship ends, Anne Blythe* is unsure of what to do. She wants to get married and have kids, but she keeps picking the wrong guys. She finds a business card for what she thinks is a dating service. When she finally decides to give it a try, she learns it's a company that actually creates arranged marriages.

Even so, she eventually decides to go for it and when she meets Jack, there is an instant connection. But can there be a happy ending when you marry a stranger?

I don't kno
Niki
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Laurel-Rain
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anne Blythe is the kind of woman who believes in love. She wants the whole fairytale thing, even though, so far, none of her relationships have worked out. Something always goes wrong.

Meanwhile, she does have so many other good things in her life: a great job as a writer at a magazine; a potential book deal; and really good friends.

So why can't she have it all? When her best friend Sarah announces her engagement, Anne does something completely out of character. She calls an agency that she belie
Liza Wiemer
An unconventional love story - and I LOVED it!

ARRANGED had been on my to read list for over two years. And I am soooooooo glad I finally read it.
My heart still aches from it. Maybe it's the hopeless romantic in me, but I really fell in love with Jack and Anne, who met through an arranged marriage service. Things between them seem really great - and the truth is that they ARE great together. But he screws up . . . and what he loses is the best thing in his life.
Looking back, I don't think he was

• In the Bag
  • Blank Slate Kate (Toronto, #7)
  • The Wedding Beat
  • J'adore New York
  • The Love Wars
  • Working It Out
  • Without Alice
Catherine McKenzie was born and raised in Montreal, Canada. A graduate of McGill in History and Law, Catherine practices law in Montreal. An avid runner and skier, she's the author of numerous bestsellers including HIDDEN, FRACTURED and THE GOOD LIAR. Her works have been translated into multiple languages.

HIDDEN was a #1 Amazon bestseller and a Digital Bookworld bestseller for five weeks. SMOKE wa
“Everyone’s path to here is unique, Anne. It’s what you do from here that counts.” 10 likes
“If someone figured out a way to bottle woman-been-wronged, they’d make a fortune.” 10 likes