Start by marking “Anywhere but Earth” as Want to Read:
Anywhere but Earth

Anywhere but Earth

Award winning independent Australian press Coeur de Lion publishing presents twenty-nine all new science fiction stories of humanity’s adventures out there, anywhere but Earth, featuring original works by Margo Lanagan, Sean McMullen, Richard Harland, and Kim Westwood among a galaxy of new and established Australian and overseas speculative fiction authors.

This volume cont
Published November 1st 2011 by Coeur de Lion Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Anywhere but Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anywhere but Earth

Start your review of Anywhere but Earth
Thoraiya
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying that this book is not small. Like ‘X6’, this latest anthology is in stark contrast to the svelte offerings of Twelfth Planet Press. ‘Anywhere But Earth’ is a hearty meal to be digested slowly over days; weeks; months.

So take your time, and enjoy. The stories are diverse and consistently top-notch. Like last year’s ‘Sprawl’ and this year’s ‘ASIM #51’, none of the stories stand out as an obvious cull, and the potential for my least favourite to be someone else’s outstand
Dave Versace
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first thing to say about the Anywhere but Earth anthology from Coeur de Lion Publishing is that it's a pretty damn thick slab of stories, over 700 pages in paperback form. There are 29 stories, most of them short but at least a few straying up into novellete territory, and most of them by Australian authors. As is the style of the times, it seems, this hefty collection of science fiction is a themed anthology. The title will give you the gist - these are all stories set far from the human ho ...more
Alan Baxter
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a contrib copy for me, as it features my story, Unexpected Launch. However, mine is only one of 29 stories in this 728 page epic tome of a sci-fi anthology. I think this book will go down as a must-read in modern science fiction. The scope of the stories and the talent of the contributing authors is astounding. It really is a fantastic array of ideas and style. If you’re a sci-fi fan, you’ll dig this book. If you’re not, it’s a great place to start. And if you know someone who says they ...more
Rick Keuning
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This anthology is full of firsts for me. It was first lunched at my first spec-fic event just after I’d written my first short story. It’s also the first science fiction I bought on my Kindle. With all these first, I’m glad to report that it is a first rate book.
It’s also a big book, its physical size really stood out when I first saw it. I’m actually glad I was able to buy it on Kindle. Its size is because there are a lot of stories, 27 in all. With so many stories I’d expected to find some sto
Nathan
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very impressive collection packed with short stories that are set - quite literally - anywhere but Earth. It's rare to come across an anthology with no weak links, especially one that's so long, but I think Stevenson has managed to achieve this feat.

My favourite stories were "SIBO" by Penelope Love, "Rains of la Strange" by Robert Stevenson and "Messiah on the Rock" by Jason Nahrung.

Verdict - definitely check this one out.
D.M. Cornish
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

It truly is like a wild tour of the voids beyond our own small ambit, all manner of visions of the future of our species, in an invigorating array of styles and approaches.

I have had a reading drought for the longest time and this collection of jewels (everyone of the stories had been thrilling and rewarding and inspiring and instructive in the craft and in imagination)as re-energised me not only to read but to write too.
Mark Webb
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
At the recent NSW Writer's Centre Speculative Fiction Festival I attended the launch of this 29 story anthology produced by Coeur de Lion and edited by Keith Stevenson. As the name implies, Anywhere But Earth has stories based on mostly human exploration and colonisation of the galaxy, with the only common theme that the stories are not set on Earth.

There are a range of authors, with a heavy weighting towards the antipodes. There seems to be reasonable gender balance in the stories, not quite 40
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.

I can see how this would appeal to others but I found myself skipping through most
Michele
Feb 04, 2014 marked it as to-read
Beautiful by Cat Sparks - 4 stars. very good

Maia Blue is Going Home - Liz Argall, 4.0 stars. Argh! Frustratingly showing all signs of potential greatness. Strange, cool idea but needs more coherence so readers can understand the ideas.
Tatiana
"Yon Horned Moon" by Margo Lanagan - super-weird and erotic ...more
Patty Jansen
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a great collection of stories set on not-Earths. My favourites were Alien Tears by Wendy Waring and Eating Gnashdal by Jason Fischer.
Liviu
Dec 26, 2012 marked it as started_finish_later
interesting anthology which I just found out about and as I find it hard to resist such when they are sf and take place in space, I got a copy and will starts reading soon
tip
Dec 14, 2013
Paul Taylor
Apr 04, 2018
Lee Battersby
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Robert Hood
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Adam Browne
Jan 06, 2012
Keith Stevenson
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Zoe

• The Midnight Library
  • Ghost Boys
  • Alien Rain
  • Twisted
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal, #1)
  • Fallen Angel
  • Max Kowalski Didn't Mean It
  • I Murdered My Library
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
  • A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • Shoe Wars
  • Doctor Who: The King's Dragon (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #41)
  • The Other Side of Truth
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • The Mercies
  • The Night of the Flood
  • Shine, Pamela! Shine!
I'm a speculative fiction writer, editor and publisher, and reviewer born in Scotland and now living in Wollongong NSW.

My short fiction has appeared in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, Aurealis Magazine, Oceans of the Mind and the Agog! Press anthology Agog! Fantastic Fiction.

I'm probably best known for being editor of Aurealis - Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine from 2001 to 2