Start by marking “Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)” as Want to Read:
Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)

(Ellie Hatcher #4)

Detective Ellie Hatcher will be forced to uncover the truth behind the apparent suicide of a teenaged girl with intriguing connections to both New York’s wealthiest—and its most dispossessed.

This addictive thriller from acclaimed suspense writer Alafair Burke draws its details from the author’s own experiences as a criminal law professor and deputy district attorney, creat
Published June 19th 2012 by Harper

James Thane
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher is called to a death scene at a plush Manhattan town house. The body is that of a sixteen-year-old girl, Julia Whitmire. Julia was a student at an exclusive prep school, the daughter of influential parents, and a girl with perhaps too much independence. Julia is found in the tub with alcohol and drugs in her system; her wrist has been slit, and she has written an apparent suicide note.

All of the first responders, Ellie included, are ready to sign off on the death as
Glenda Bixler
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Finding a new author that has given me a whodunit mystery that is so complex and interwoven that I'm still stumped until the very end, is a rare gift. I knew as soon as I started never tell that the author had that undefinable "edgy" feel to her writing that makes me tense, excited, knowing that I've picked a suspenseful winner to read!

Before I begin about the story, I want to highlight that there are a number of important issues about teens, drugs, sexuality, parenting, and schools that are at
Ed
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nyc, law-enforcement
#4 in the Ellie Hatcher series. This book was almost impossible to get into. If I had not read, and enjoyed, Burkes 7 previous books, including the first three of this series, I would have given up within the first 200 pages. For the first 200 pages, the only spark of life is the dialogue between Ellie and her musician brother. The final 150 pages bring some life to the story line and salvage the books rating.

Ellie Hatcher series - Julia Whitmire appeared to have everything: a famous father, a
Heather
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this disturbing book in this wonderful series. I have to slow down, or soon there won’t be any left!!
Nia Forrester
It's been a long while since I read a book in this genre, but I decided to give it a try because the ebook was reasonably-priced, at $1.99, the author is female, is the daughter of the great James Lee Burke (author of 'Heaven's Prisoners' and the other Dave Robicheaux novels), and writes with a backdrop of a city (NYC) that I love.

But once I started reading, I found there was so much more. The main protagonist in this series of novels is police detective Ellie Hatcher. Ellie is somewhat of a bo
Quillracer
Another good entry in this series.

The investigation of a teen girl’s apparent suicide leads Hatcher into an investigation into threats against a blogger chronicling her childhood abuse. Burke does a good job of tying (if only faintly) both investigations together but the young woman’s death fades into the background as the threat investigation takes over. I think she could have done much more with the teen’s death storyline; it was strong enough to stand on its own.

Burke keeps the reader guessin
Marcia Clark
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun and interesting! I always appreciate it when crime fiction authors incorporate real world issues and Alafair Burke has done a really nice job of weaving in prescription drug abuse, corruption, and the unique problems faced by today's teens in an organic, informative way. Protagonist Ellie Hatcher is realistically drawn. It was such a nice change of pace to finally see a detective who occasionally jumps to the wrong conclusion and makes mistakes along the way. It happens, and that realism add ...more
Susan
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good whodunit, with many interesting characters and plot twists. The author did a great job of keeping my interest right up to the end of the book. Nice job!

This book was received for free from Goodreads First Reads.
Mary
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime/mystery buffs
Recommended to Mary by: Library browsing section
Good read. Characters appear real, believable, and I liked them. Female detective closes a case too soon, and is put back on it only to dig her teeth in and keep digging until she has solved the case, well almost....
Alecia
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought it started out OK, but then had too many streams of disjointed storylines running through it. Although some of the characterizations were pretty good, I struggled to finish it and found it a tedious read overall.
Jo Jenner
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really interesting story looking at the interaction between the very rich and the very poor.
The build up was great but unfortunately the ending didn't quite live up to the hype.
The person who murdered Julia was reviewed but it wasn't a great confession and we never did find out everything that happened that night - but maybe that's what it feels like in real life.
But the true disappointment for me was the story of the Langstons which runs along side the story of the Whitmires. Within out giving
Patty
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
By
Alafair Burke

My Speedy Summary...

Private school disturbed student commits suicide...but is it really suicide?

My Thoughts...

This book pretty much has it all including a reasonably dysfunctional detective who doesn't really believe a crime has been committed.  Julia is found not alive in her bathtub with a suicide note nearby.  It appears to be a suicide and everyone involved wants to sign it off as one...except for Julia's parents who don't believe she would have done such a thing.

The
Michael
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Called to look into the death of sixteen-year old Julie Whitmire, NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher is quick to dismiss the death as a suicide. But after political pressure is placed on the department by Julie's high profile, wealthy and politically connected parents, Hatcher and her partner are forced to dig a bit deeper and quickly discover that things aren't necessarily as black and white as they originally assumed.

The theme of "never assume" is prevalent in Alafair Burke's newest installment in t
Michael
N.Y.P.D. detective Ellie Hatcher and her partner, J.J. Rogan are summoned to the scene of an apparent suicide. The victim, age sixteen, is from a wealthy and influential family.

Alafair Burke uses her knowledge of the streets of New York to create action that rolls out as if the reader was a pedestrian in the street or in Washington Square Park, listening to the sounds and watching the antics of the cast of characters.

Ellie not only investigates the questionable suicide but has flashbacks to the
Katie
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Absolute drivel. I am flabbergasted (and a little frightened) by the multitude of of high ratings given to this dreadful, poorly written, lowest common denominator, I-Can-Read "novel".
I'll come back, and detail my disgust for this "book" by example - but first: It isn't a beach book; it isn't trashy fun; it's a cobbled together, poorly researched, cliche ridden, brain cell sucking, misguided, if only the pages were softer I'd use it for toilet paper, misinformed, Fox news meets US Weekly, stack
Suzanne
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, thriller
3.5 stars. This novel was kind of slow starting and took a good while to become engrossing. But, glad I hung with it as it eventually starting twisting and turning like a corkscrew.
Melissa
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars--pretty good crime/mystery novel. I wasn't overly enamored by the way the ends were wrapped up, but overall a quick read.
Lynn
I started the Ellie Hatcher Series at book 3, loved it and was able to read a preview of book 4, Never Tell after and knew I had to continue with the series. The book is broken up into 6 parts with the main figures in the case as the important player in each part. There are interconnected stories that link and so many twists that the reader is on a mission with the detectives to figure out what is going on. I love looking for clues and proud when I see the puzzle coming together, but read becaus ...more
Tina Panik
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strong twists that you won’t see coming! Burke is a master at creating duplicitous characters.
Jerry B
We’ve been enjoying Burke’s NYC-based Ellie Hatcher series, having now completed the first four of what stands at a 5-book set at the moment. Indeed we have found Ellie a more likable leading lady than her Portland-based predecessor, ADA Samantha Kincaid. With that former set, we were often not that happy with the plotting skills on display.

Unfortunately, we had much that same reaction to “Never Tell.” Ellie and her detective partner catch an apparent suicide at a wealthy person’s fancy digs – b
Msjodi777
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
While I did like this one, it felt just a bit too contrived. Some things were too coincidental which made it less than "real life." But the story was well written, the plot was good, and the narration was excellent. <><
Bria
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Ehhhhhh......not words but that sound pretty much sums up my feelings for this novel.

The plot was interesting. Interesting enough I read the book in one sitting. But it wasn't very memorable or surprising. The characters were pretty stereotypical and the plot really played that up.
That word "stereotypical" takes on a whole new meaning with this book. I guess the author tried to go for some sort of ironic joke played on stereotypical characters. Ellie, a pretty but dresses like a boy hardass cop
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
NYPD detective Ellie Hatcher has been called to the scene of a murder at a luxurious Manhattan townhouse. When she arrives, she finds the grieving mother who is both distraught and angry. Her daughter, Julie Whitmore, only sixteen-years old is dead in the bathroom upstairs. She has a right to be upset but angry? Ellie learns that the EMT's that have arrived on the scene before her, claim that this is nothing more than a suicide but her mother doesn't believe that is what happened. She believes h ...more
Stephanie Ward
4.5 Stars

'Never Tell' is the fourth installment in the Ellie Hatcher series, but can be read as a standalone novel. It tells the story of Julia Whitmire, a popular rich girl from NYC who has apparently committed suicide. Ellie and her partner are assigned to the case when Julia's parents insist that their daughter was murdered. Soon the both Ellie and the reader are caught in a tangle of lies, deceipt, secrets, and teenage pressure. Ellie must put aside her own personal demons in order to get Ju
Luanne Ollivier
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only 'discovered' Alafair Burke a couple of years ago when I picked up 212 - the third in a series featuring NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher. I remember thinking at that time 'why is this author not already on my 'must read' list'? (She was promptly added!)

Never Tell is the fourth book in the Hatcher series. Burke piques our interest with the opening prologue - an entry from a blog - "Second Acts: Confessions of a Former Victim and Current Survivor."

Cut to Ellie and her partner Rogan - they've
Alexis Villery
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Never Tell is a complicated and intriguing tale where nothing is as it seems. Detective Ellie Hatcher is called to the scene of an apparent suicide. The victim is sixteen year-old Julia Whitmore, daughter of a Rock Star and a student at an exclusive prep school. Julia's parents are convinced that she would never attempt suicide, while Ellie--all to familiar with the denial of a family in pain--prepares to move on. She's soon called back in when one detail stands out, requiring closure. What Elli ...more
Wendi
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
By Alafair Burke
Published by Harper, An Imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers

Never Tell, the latest novel in Alafair Burke’s Ellie Hatcher Series, is another winning crime thriller. Filled with suspense and an overwhelming number of clues, twists, and turns, Never Tell will keep you guessing until the last page.

An alleged teenage suicide and grieving parents who insist their daughter was murdered, bring things close to home for Ellie Hatcher. Though the case seems like a slam dunk, Ellie
Lynda Kelly
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I really liked this book. I can see why it is always in the Kindle charts from Amazon !! A great story with lots of twists and turns. I thought I'd guessed who was the baddie but no, I got it wrong !!
I liked the author's dedication to her mother-in-law at the beginning and all the readers she named at the end left me breathless !!!
There were a few tiny mistakes but ones I overlooked since it was a tale so well told that kept me interested enough to not mind.
I was a little disappointed by Ellie,
Tami
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. 5/21/12
Received my copy and can't wait to start. I have 9 others plus my current read in front. 5/31/12
Going on vacation and taking with me. Hopefully will start sometime this week 6/29-7/5
Started and finished sometime before 7/8/12

When a privileged young lady is found dead in her bathtub with her wrists slashed and a hand written suicide note, everyone automatically assumes she killed herself. Everyone but her mother, and when you
Michael Sherer
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not very free with five-star reviews (though I love getting them as an author) because I believe books that receive five stars should be "amazing," as suggested here on Goodreads. To amaze, a book has to have either an original plot, beautiful writing and use of language or a combination of the two. Alafair Burke has done something a little different in NEVER TELL. In a solidly told, intricately plotted tale, Burke has done a masterful job of capturing the essence of her characters through t ...more

• Stranger in the Room (Keye Street #2)
  • Defensive Wounds (Theresa MacLean #4)
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3)
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Layla
  • The Thieves Of Legend (Michael St. Pierre, #4)
  • Hancock Park (Kate Delafield, #8)
  • The Viper
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross, #3)
  • Thou Shalt Kill
  • The Next Target
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens, #2)
  • Speak of the Devil (Anna Curtis, #3)
  • Delusion
Alafair Burke is the New York Times bestselling author of "two power house series" (Sun-Sentinel) that have earned her a reputation for creating strong, believable, and eminently likable female characters, such as NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher and Portland Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid. Alafair's novels grow out of her experience as a prosecutor in America's police precincts and crimina ...more

Ellie Hatcher (5 books)
  • Dead Connection (Ellie Hatcher #1)
  • Angel's Tip (Ellie Hatcher #2)
  • 212 (Ellie Hatcher #3)
  • All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher, #5)