Start by marking “Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)” as Want to Read:
Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)

Never Tell

(Ellie Hatcher #4)

Detective Ellie Hatcher will be forced to uncover the truth behind the apparent suicide of a teenaged girl with intriguing connections to both New York’s wealthiest—and its most dispossessed.

This addictive thriller from acclaimed suspense writer Alafair Burke draws its details from the author’s own experiences as a criminal law professor and deputy district attorney, creat
Published June 19th 2012 by Harper

Start your review of Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)
James Thane
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher is called to a death scene at a plush Manhattan town house. The body is that of a sixteen-year-old girl, Julia Whitmire. Julia was a student at an exclusive prep school, the daughter of influential parents, and a girl with perhaps too much independence. Julia is found in the tub with alcohol and drugs in her system; her wrist has been slit, and she has written an apparent suicide note.

All of the first responders, Ellie included, are ready to sign off on the death as
Glenda Bixler
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Finding a new author that has given me a whodunit mystery that is so complex and interwoven that I'm still stumped until the very end, is a rare gift. I knew as soon as I started never tell that the author had that undefinable "edgy" feel to her writing that makes me tense, excited, knowing that I've picked a suspenseful winner to read!

Before I begin about the story, I want to highlight that there are a number of important issues about teens, drugs, sexuality, parenting, and schools that are at
Ed
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: law-enforcement, nyc
#4 in the Ellie Hatcher series. This book was almost impossible to get into. If I had not read, and enjoyed, Burkes 7 previous books, including the first three of this series, I would have given up within the first 200 pages. For the first 200 pages, the only spark of life is the dialogue between Ellie and her musician brother. The final 150 pages bring some life to the story line and salvage the books rating.

Ellie Hatcher series - Julia Whitmire appeared to have everything: a famous father, a
Alecia
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought it started out OK, but then had too many streams of disjointed storylines running through it. Although some of the characterizations were pretty good, I struggled to finish it and found it a tedious read overall.
Paromjit
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction
This is a complex smart and intelligent thriller. It begins with an apparent suicide of a young Julia Whitmire which Ellie Hatcher hastily accepts as suicide until she and JJ Rogan, her partner start to investigate further. The girl's rock legend father offers a reward and hires investigators, this manages to sabotage the police investigation for a few days. Two homeless characters attempt to implicate a friend for murder so that they can claim the reward.

This is a complicated investigation as m
Katie
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Absolute drivel. I am flabbergasted (and a little frightened) by the multitude of of high ratings given to this dreadful, poorly written, lowest common denominator, I-Can-Read "novel".
I'll come back, and detail my disgust for this "book" by example - but first: It isn't a beach book; it isn't trashy fun; it's a cobbled together, poorly researched, cliche ridden, brain cell sucking, misguided, if only the pages were softer I'd use it for toilet paper, misinformed, Fox news meets US Weekly, stack
Heather
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this disturbing book in this wonderful series. I have to slow down, or soon there won’t be any left!!
Nia Forrester
It's been a long while since I read a book in this genre, but I decided to give it a try because the ebook was reasonably-priced, at $1.99, the author is female, is the daughter of the great James Lee Burke (author of 'Heaven's Prisoners' and the other Dave Robicheaux novels), and writes with a backdrop of a city (NYC) that I love.

But once I started reading, I found there was so much more. The main protagonist in this series of novels is police detective Ellie Hatcher. Ellie is somewhat of a bo
Quillracer
Another good entry in this series.

The investigation of a teen girl’s apparent suicide leads Hatcher into an investigation into threats against a blogger chronicling her childhood abuse. Burke does a good job of tying (if only faintly) both investigations together but the young woman’s death fades into the background as the threat investigation takes over. I think she could have done much more with the teen’s death storyline; it was strong enough to stand on its own.

Burke keeps the reader guessin
Marcia Clark
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun and interesting! I always appreciate it when crime fiction authors incorporate real world issues and Alafair Burke has done a really nice job of weaving in prescription drug abuse, corruption, and the unique problems faced by today's teens in an organic, informative way. Protagonist Ellie Hatcher is realistically drawn. It was such a nice change of pace to finally see a detective who occasionally jumps to the wrong conclusion and makes mistakes along the way. It happens, and that realism add ...more
Susan
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good whodunit, with many interesting characters and plot twists. The author did a great job of keeping my interest right up to the end of the book. Nice job!

This book was received for free from Goodreads First Reads.
Mary
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime/mystery buffs
Recommended to Mary by: Library browsing section
Good read. Characters appear real, believable, and I liked them. Female detective closes a case too soon, and is put back on it only to dig her teeth in and keep digging until she has solved the case, well almost....
Jo Jenner
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really interesting story looking at the interaction between the very rich and the very poor.
The build up was great but unfortunately the ending didn't quite live up to the hype.
The person who murdered Julia was reviewed but it wasn't a great confession and we never did find out everything that happened that night - but maybe that's what it feels like in real life.
But the true disappointment for me was the story of the Langstons which runs along side the story of the Whitmires. Within out giving
Chickoutthesebooks
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Despite being a series, this book can still be enjoyed as a stand alone. While the detective genre can usually be a hit or miss for me, this one is definitely a hit! This story has more twists than a roller coaster, and not only is each one believable, it's more shocking than the last! I was pleasantly surprised since I didn't guess a majority of them. And Casey...ugh, my heart goes out to him. If you are looking for a detective series that is fast paced and will keep you on the edge of your sea ...more
Bria
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Ehhhhhh......not words but that sound pretty much sums up my feelings for this novel.

The plot was interesting. Interesting enough I read the book in one sitting. But it wasn't very memorable or surprising. The characters were pretty stereotypical and the plot really played that up.
That word "stereotypical" takes on a whole new meaning with this book. I guess the author tried to go for some sort of ironic joke played on stereotypical characters. Ellie, a pretty but dresses like a boy hardass cop
Patty
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Never Tell
By
Alafair Burke

My Speedy Summary...

Private school disturbed student commits suicide...but is it really suicide?

My Thoughts...

This book pretty much has it all including a reasonably dysfunctional detective who doesn't really believe a crime has been committed.  Julia is found not alive in her bathtub with a suicide note nearby.  It appears to be a suicide and everyone involved wants to sign it off as one...except for Julia's parents who don't believe she would have done such a thing.

The
Michael
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Called to look into the death of sixteen-year old Julie Whitmire, NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher is quick to dismiss the death as a suicide. But after political pressure is placed on the department by Julie's high profile, wealthy and politically connected parents, Hatcher and her partner are forced to dig a bit deeper and quickly discover that things aren't necessarily as black and white as they originally assumed.

The theme of "never assume" is prevalent in Alafair Burke's newest installment in t
Lynda Kelly
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I really liked this book. I can see why it is always in the Kindle charts from Amazon !! A great story with lots of twists and turns. I thought I'd guessed who was the baddie but no, I got it wrong !!
I liked the author's dedication to her mother-in-law at the beginning and all the readers she named at the end left me breathless !!!
There were a few tiny mistakes but ones I overlooked since it was a tale so well told that kept me interested enough to not mind.
I was a little disappointed by Ellie,
Michael
N.Y.P.D. detective Ellie Hatcher and her partner, J.J. Rogan are summoned to the scene of an apparent suicide. The victim, age sixteen, is from a wealthy and influential family.

Alafair Burke uses her knowledge of the streets of New York to create action that rolls out as if the reader was a pedestrian in the street or in Washington Square Park, listening to the sounds and watching the antics of the cast of characters.

Ellie not only investigates the questionable suicide but has flashbacks to the
Lynn
I started the Ellie Hatcher Series at book 3, loved it and was able to read a preview of book 4, Never Tell after and knew I had to continue with the series. The book is broken up into 6 parts with the main figures in the case as the important player in each part. There are interconnected stories that link and so many twists that the reader is on a mission with the detectives to figure out what is going on. I love looking for clues and proud when I see the puzzle coming together, but read becaus ...more
Meredith
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
According to Dennis LeHane, this is from one of the best young writers of this genre...doesn't speak well for the future. The plot was byzantine, the characters not believable, the writing mediocre. I know she is the daughter of James Lee Burke, but she apparently has not inherited the writing gene...unlike the Stephen King/Joe Hill relationship. ...more
mary
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I hadn't realized this was part of a series, but I'm afraid I have no interest in catching up with earlier titles.

This is a straight police-procedural with main characters who failed to interest me.
Suzanne
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, thriller
3.5 stars. This novel was kind of slow starting and took a good while to become engrossing. But, glad I hung with it as it eventually starting twisting and turning like a corkscrew.
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
3.5 stars--pretty good crime/mystery novel. I wasn't overly enamored by the way the ends were wrapped up, but overall a quick read. ...more
Amy Cahillane
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
*snooze* I just couldn't get into this book… I was expecting a page-turner, but for me, at least, it was a slog to get through. ...more
Jill Morrow
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was my first read by this author. The overall story was ok, but I felt the writing was choppy. I would not recommend this one.
Lesley
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I bought this book at a book sale and got it for a dollar. I think I won, well worth my dollar. Found me a new series to look into reading!
Kim
Nov 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars

This is the first book I've read by this author and I will add her others to my list. It's an intricate mystery that kept me guessing.
Tina Panik
Strong twists that you won’t see coming! Burke is a master at creating duplicitous characters.
Jerry B
We’ve been enjoying Burke’s NYC-based Ellie Hatcher series, having now completed the first four of what stands at a 5-book set at the moment. Indeed we have found Ellie a more likable leading lady than her Portland-based predecessor, ADA Samantha Kincaid. With that former set, we were often not that happy with the plotting skills on display.

Unfortunately, we had much that same reaction to “Never Tell.” Ellie and her detective partner catch an apparent suicide at a wealthy person’s fancy digs – b

• Il morso della vipera
  • The Cinderella Murder (Under Suspicion, #2)
  • All Dressed in White (Under Suspicion, #3)
  • Io sono l'abisso
  • The Sleeping Beauty Killer (Under Suspicion, #4)
  • Piece of My Heart (Under Suspicion, #7)
  • Every Breath You Take (Under Suspicion, #5)
  • Costanza e buoni propositi
  • Before She Disappeared
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • Remember Me
  • Siamo tutti bravi con i fidanzati degli altri
  • È quello che ti meriti
  • Bury The Bodies (Detective Solomon Gray #4)
  • The Papers of Tony Veitch (Jack Laidlaw, #2)
  • La casa sull'argine. La saga della famiglia Casadio
  • Lasciami Perdere
Alafair Burke is the New York Times bestselling author of "two power house series" (Sun-Sentinel) that have earned her a reputation for creating strong, believable, and eminently likable female characters, such as NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher and Portland Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid. Alafair's novels grow out of her experience as a prosecutor in America's police precincts and crimina ...more

Ellie Hatcher (5 books)
  • Dead Connection (Ellie Hatcher, #1)
  • Angel's Tip (Ellie Hatcher, #2)
  • 212 (Ellie Hatcher, #3)
  • All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher, #5)