Start by marking “Gone: The Last Days of the New Yorker” as Want to Read:
Gone: The Last Days of the New Yorker

Gone: The Last Days of the New Yorker

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From a legendary journalist and star writer at "The New Yorker" comes an insider's look at the magazine's tumultuous yet glorious years under the direction of the enigmatic William Shaw.
Published January 29th 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone

Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Gone: The Last Days of The New Yorker, Renata Adler's account of the decline of the magazine, is one of those books that, it seems to me, very few people are qualified to review. It has come under attack for being factually inaccurate, for attributing conversations to people who never had them, even for fabricating situations that never occurred. The problem is that most of the people who have made these accusations of inaccuracy or falsification are targets of Adler's ire or scorn in the book, ...more
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
Alternate title: Renata Adler's Burn Book.
Jul 23, 2011 added it
I admit it....I love New York literary gossip (possibly because I live in Baltimore and it's a change of pace from local gossip) and I loved this book, lots of delightful dish. Sometimes it seems as though attacking the NEW YORKER has been a favorite pastime of the American intelligentsia since the magazine started, cf. Dwight Macdonald's attack in PARTISAN REVIEW in the 30s, Robert Warshow's in his book THE IMMEDIATE EXPERIENCE in the 50s, and Seymour Krim's "Who's Afraid of the NEW YORKER Now? ...more
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful gossip about the New Yorker, mostly during the last days of Shawn, and the succession to Gottleib, wonderfully told, with bits at the end on Tina Brown and Remnick. Although it has a touch of stream of consciousness disarray to it, and two instances of bad editing (once when she attributes a quoted statement simultaneously to herself and to the person she was talking with). At times very intelligent, and at all times telling it like she sees it, damn the torpedoes. She hates Lillian Ro ...more
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I read "Speedboat" last year and really liked its girl-about-town swagger. This book was so mean-spirited and rather crude, I thought, especially the last few chapters which are basically an attack on Adam Gopnik. It seems that she invested so much of her identity in a certain era of her life - when she was young, mentored by the great and good, and could dream of publishing everything. Slowly she lost two out of the three - she aged, and many of the pieces that she wanted to publish in the New ...more
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I would have enjoyed this more if I were old enough to have been a regular reader of the magazine during the period the book covers. Apparently, the years I read it, it was awful.

Clearly this was a book that had to be written. Not sure it had to be published. The intended audience, at times, seemed quite small (like only people who worked at the magazine during the period in question). Also, it's clear the author is an excellent writer, but the book still suffered from some strange transitions.
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
The New Yorker is my favorite magazine and I was curious about the changes that came with the change of editors. This author seemed bitter about the turnover and, as a result, I kept thinking her view was biased. She obviously adored William Shawn (editor from 1951-1987) and maybe didn't write this with an open mind. I'll need to read more about this from other New Yorker writers to get a better sense of what happened. Lots of name-dropping in this book and a lot of trash talk about Adam Gopnik.
M. Sarki
Oct 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Totally not what I was looking for. I do not know what possessed me to order this from the library. I am hurrying it back to them tomorrow. And none too soon. I suppose I will never know now what makes Renata Alder the type and quality of writer she has a reputation for being. She is certainly not my cup of tea.
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bookforum recently profiled Adler's fiction and I came across this book about her time at the New Yorker. The kindest way to describe this book is gossipy. I don't think I've ever read a more mean-spirited book. Adler's charmed life of extreme privilege combined with her talent and high intellect = scary self-certainty and a total lack of self-awareness.
Laura June
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Good where gossipy, dull and plodding where not. Best part is a devastating profile of Gopnik.
Feb 07, 2015 added it
Shelves: read2015
Mar 08, 2017 marked it as to-read
Short article in New York Magazine about the author makes her and her writing sound interesting.
Dec 13, 2017
Dec 14, 2017
Feb 09, 2010
Feb 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in Milan, Italy, Adler grew up in Danbury, Connecticut after her parents had fled Nazi Germany in 1933. After attending Bryn Mawr, The Sorbonne, and Harvard, she became a staff writer-reporter for The New Yorker. She later received her J.D. from Yale Law School, and an Honorary Doctorate of Laws from Georgetown University.

Adler’s essays and articles have been collected in Toward a Radical Mid
More about Renata Adler...

Nonfiction Deals