Start by marking “D Is for Digital: What a Well-Informed Person Should Know about Computers and Communications” as Want to Read:

Published September 23rd 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about D Is for Digital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D Is for Digital

박은정 Park
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just plainly LOOOOVE this book!

Kernighan mainly speaks about software, hardware, communication (and data), in a chronologically organized manner. The topics on communication were especially intriguing, and I think I was really fortunate to meet this book when my interests toward security peaked. Great for novices, but also very nice for digital experts.
Jeff Kim
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most informative books I've read. It's well written and easy to understand. It's a good introduction to computers and communication principles to non engineers, but also a good refresher book for the engineers.
I highly recommend you read it.
Bharath Ballamudi
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book serves as a delightful primer for novices in introducing the underpinnings of today's ubiquitous internet world.
Who4
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a serviceable introduction to the digital world. I have a fondness for the author since my first and one of the best introductions to programming was the cult classic book "The C Programming Language" that he co-authored with Ritchie.
In any case, the present book does what it says and that's enough.
I would be remiss if I did not mention that the author feels that Alan Turing's accomplishments are overestimated. That might be enough to not want to read this book because as a matter of fact,
Isaac
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is meant to be a primer to non-computer-science people on basic computer engineering concepts. As such, it largely succeeds, and though I am not the target audience, I enjoyed the overview of the internet, which I was less familiar with than the other sections (hardware and software). I enjoy Kernighan as a writer (this is the third of his books that I've read), but I think that this particular book could do with a few more slower paced examples for some of the concepts. Perhaps I'm un ...more
Philip
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-tech
Great overview of modern digital technology, talks about everything from bits and bytes to security and privacy to the protocols of the Internet and big concepts like Cloud Computing.

Would recommend for non-technical people working in technology, or just anyone who wants to know what software engineers work on/with.

The author is admittedly more paranoid about privacy than most of us, but for good reason. He talks about the many ways companies track our data and just how detailed it can get.
Robert St.Amant
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Amazon review: In the preface to this book, Kernighan poses a question: What should a well-informed person know about computing? He answers this question first by breaking the field down into hardware, software, and communications (with data a possible fourth category), and then by walking through some of the most important concepts in these areas, describing them in a lively, accessible way. The book is targeted at readers without a computer background, but it's a short, fun read for the mor ...more
Mbogo J
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With these kind of books you judge them on how they treated stuff that you had prior knowledge, I felt Kernighan did a good job so when he delved into areas I didn't know much about I trusted he was telling the truth. Like how the internet and world wide web are not the same thing, among other nuggets.
Young Ha
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
K&R 생각하고 덜컥 사는 (불필요한 입문) 책 아닌가 싶었는데 읽으면 읽을수록 내가 몰랐던 컴퓨터에 대해서 많이 알게되고 틈틈이 혜안을 엿볼 수 있는 책. D is for Digital 추천합니다.
Ben Young
Oct 17, 2012
Jose  Seco Sanz
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical, favorites
6 stars. Best book I read this year.
Jeremy
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Pattern on the Stone: The Simple Ideas that Make Computers Work
  • Write Great Code: Volume 1: Understanding the Machine
  • Things a Computer Scientist Rarely Talks About
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!
  • Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
  • Foundations of Computer Science: C Edition
  • Emergence: From Chaos To Order
  • The Elements of Computing Systems: Building a Modern Computer from First Principles
  • How Linux Works: What Every Superuser Should Know
  • Blown to Bits: Your Life, Liberty, and Happiness After the Digital Explosion
  • The Rootkit Arsenal: Escape and Evasion in the Dark Corners of the System
  • Assembly Language: Step-By-Step

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Brian Wilson Kernighan is a computer scientist who worked at Bell Labs alongside Unix creators Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie and contributed greatly to Unix and its school of thought.
“The most relevant precursor to today's computers is the Jacquard loom,” 0 likes
“The word bit is a contraction of binary digit that was coined by the statistician John Tukey in the mid 1940s.” 0 likes