Start by marking “Wishful Thinking (Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wishful Thinking (Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic, #1)

Wishful Thinking

(Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic #1)

After Sophie accidentally gets herself turned into a djinn, she starts to think that it might not be so bad after all. (Of course, that's after she gets the whole orange skin problem sorted out.) Who wouldn't enjoy having the power to grant wishes But when Sophie develops RWD (Random Wish Disorder) and can't STOP granting wishes, things get more than a little mixed-up.
Published June 14th 2012 by Puffin (first published May 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wishful Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wishful Thinking

Start your review of Wishful Thinking (Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic, #1)
Aretha melina
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a perfect read for young readers. To read more of my review about this book go to my blog, http://arethaspotnews.wordpress.com/2...
Nati
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sophie’s is never going to be the same after she meets Malik, a djiinn, in a basement. Can she make her life happier if she can find her father who left four years ago? Can she help her mother find a solution of their financial problems? Can she use magic without consequences?
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: extended-reviews

Amanda Ashby has a knack for creating extremely likeable characters, and putting them in unusual and entertaining (for the reader) situations. However, she also has an unfortunate tendency to use prose 'crutches' that ruin the flow of her narrative. In this book, as in her Fairy Bad Day (See my review of that novel to understand the extent of her affliction!), her primary crutch is a phrase involving shooting looks/glances/etc. Instead of varying her writing and increasing the reader's interest,
Erica
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Amanda Ashby's books. They are always so much fun and have a great story to tell. Wishful Thinking is no different. Sophie is a super fun main character who I am excited to follow throughout the rest of the trilogy.

I love the liberties Amanda Ashby has taken with the traditional djinn tale. Whenever most people think genie or djinn, it is the traditional 3 wishes and a magic lamp, but Sophie quickly discovers this is not the case with the djinns in her world and her world is turned upside
Chuck
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I think there is a reason there are not a lot of reviews for this book on Goodreads: most of the people who would like reading this book are to young to be allowed on social networking sites.

Honestly I am finding the book a bit of a trudge, I think it is mostly because the book is written for older elementary children, I think 3rd through 6th graders would really like this book.

If you have an 8, 9, 10, 11 year old at home who likes to read, give them this book. They will probably eat it up.

I t
Pamela Kramer
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Sophie's Mixed Up Magic" by Amanda Ashby is the perfect read for young lovers of fantasy books. Similar to the "Princess for Hire" series by Lindsey Leavitt, this is a charming story of a young girl who inadvertently lets a genie out of a bottle.

What happens next is told with an eye to the humorous, but young readers may feel empathy for this new middle schooler who is trying to fit in. Of course, having orange skin (courtesy of the djinn (genie), doesn't really help one fit in.

Sophie has some
Melissa
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Sophie is 11 and just starting middle school. She accidentally frees a djinn and instead of being offered three wishes, she's tricked into becoming a djinn. Now her djinn, Malik, is teaching her the ropes. Meanwhile, Sophie's navigating middle school and has a crush on a cute 7th grader named Jonathan.

Cute book - started off slow but progressed fast. The second one Under a Spell, is even better and I'm excited to read Out of Sight.
Mursal
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great book I can't wait to read the sequel!
Stefanie
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was such a quick fun read. I really have enjoyed all of Amanda Ashby's books. Glad this ones a series so we can get more genie magic.
Jill Moyer
Apr 28, 2013
Alysha Suehsschlof
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • Who Was Helen Keller?
  • A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3)
  • Magic Tree House Survival Guide
  • Goldie (The Puppy Place, #1)
  • Who Was Ernest Shackleton?
  • Who Was Rosa Parks?
  • The Who Was? History of the World
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • Storybound (Storybound #1)
  • Guts
  • Drama
  • Dictionary of Emotions: Words for Feelings, Moods, and Emotions
  • Jane Eyre
Amanda Ashby was born in Australia but now lives in New Zealand where she writes romance, young adult and middle grade books. She also works in a library, owns far too many vintage tablecloths and likes to delight her family by constantly rearranging the furniture.

She has a degree in English and Journalism from the University of Queensland and is married with two children. Her debut book was nomin

Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic (3 books)
  • Under a Spell (Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic, #2)
  • Out of Sight (Sophie's Mixed-Up Magic, #3)