Start by marking “Stay!: Keeper's Story” as Want to Read:
Stay!: Keeper's Story

Stay!: Keeper's Story

This is the story of a dog who tells his own tale. As a pup he is separated from his mother and siblings. This unusual dog learns about living on the dangerous streets and even makes up poetry. He finds human friends, has the chance to win fame and fortune, and is given the name Keeper. Through it all Keeper can't forget his long lost-little sister. If only they could be t ...more
Published March 9th 1999 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Stay!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay!

Princolitas
Mar 02, 2016 Princolitas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es una historia encantadora que me llamó mucho la atención por la portada y por la autora, que es Lois Lowry, la autora de mi libro favorito del 2015 "El dador de recuerdos". La historia está contada en primera persona por un perrito que es muy inteligente y tiene la capacidad de entender el lenguaje humano. La forma de expresarse y de ver a los humanos te hará reír muchísimo y te hará sentir que puedes entender y ver de una nueva forma el mundo de los perros. Muy recomendable, me encantó.
Chloe Resendez
May 29, 2016 Chloe Resendez rated it it was amazing
Man... I thought this book was really good. When I first looked at the cover I thought this book was going to be all sorts of easy but boy was I wrong! This book has a lot of big words such as pretentious or unobtrusive. There are even French words in there! After I finished this book, I realized that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. This story first takes place between a board fence at the end of an alley beside the back door of a French restaurant. It is a book about this male dog that g ...more
朱姬 朱姬
Jul 14, 2017 朱姬 朱姬 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-2017
I can tell how perfect his tail is, too. This story is good and nice enough to smile and cry :)
R.A. Danger
A nice fiction autobiography of Keeper’s life styles, many names, and poems. On his first life style he lives the life of a feral pup (who likes pasta) and makes an enemy (Scar), who will appear off an on though out the book. The second life style he picks is a homeless man and they both make money (the homeless man gets money by using Lucky’s cuteness). In return Lucky protects him from rats. On his third life style he becomes famous and leads a life of the rich and now is called Pal. Then on ...more
Apr 05, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 8 year old son and I just read this book aloud and are utterly charmed by it. Lowry's sophisticated yet accessible style is captivating for adults and children alike. Her sense of humor is extraordinary. We laughed out loud many times and had to take pauses to catch our breath. Amazing tale (and tail). We decided we must own it forever (we read a library book), and it will reside on the shelf right next to "the Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate DiCamillo.
Jose
Feb 26, 2009 Jose rated it really liked it
this a good story for people who love animals
Jaqui
Feb 23, 2010 Jaqui rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids ages 5-12
Recommended to Jaqui by: got it at a bookstore
I read this book in first grade with my mom when I was in Spain- so it has sentimental value- but it is a nice little story.
Mary Lee
Aug 19, 2007 Mary Lee rated it really liked it
I'm going to put this book in my tub of "dog stories," but it's going to take a pretty special 4th grader who will be able to deal with Keeper's advanced vocabulary.
Michelle
Feb 11, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I love how she used the B-word correctly.
Mary Whisner
Dec 10, 2013 Mary Whisner rated it really liked it
A young dog narrates this story abut his life from his puppyhood in an alley through periods with two different men to a happy home with a girl. (His names are Lucky, Pal, and Keeper?)

Unlike too many dog stories, in this one the dog lives!

I think it would be a good book to read aloud--the author has fun with language, and the dog narrator enjoys composing little poems.

It features warm, cartoony illustrations by True Kelley.
Mallory Dreiling
Apr 28, 2014 Mallory Dreiling rated it really liked it
This is the story of a dog who tells his own tale. As a pup he is separated from his mother and siblings. This unusual dog learns about living on the dangerous streets and even makes up poetry. He finds human friends, has the chance to win fame and fortune, and is given the name Keeper. Through it all Keeper can't forget his long lost little sister. If only they could be together again, life would be perfect. But an old enemy is watching and waiting to make his move.
JennLynn
Apr 16, 2014 JennLynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-my-books
A wonderful story about a most erudite canine, first known as Lucky, then Pal, and ultimately Keeper. He writes the varied story of his life - literally from scraps to media star, and composes a little poetry on the side. He never forgets his goal of reuniting with his little sister either. A delightful read for all dog lovers, absolutely perfect until the last two pages which I could have done without (though it is still basically a happy ending for anyone who worries about that).
Melissa
May 17, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
I read this one aloud and I don't think my son got a lot of the humor. It is fun that it is told in the dog's perspective but this lead to some of the jokes that may be too sophisticated for reader's who can follow the simple plot. Lucky/Keeper/Pal with his three names and companions has a tremendous vocabulary for a stray dog!
Emily
Oct 31, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Finished reading this to my 6-year-old dog lover last night. She liked it a lot, and I absolutely LOVED it. So cute, sweet, funny. The dog narrator has quite a sophisticated vocabulary, and I found it interesting that my daughter would occasionally ask "what does that mean?" but other times, the unfamiliar words did not seem to interfere with her understanding. Adorable.
Jessica
Dec 01, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok
Not a fan. I think I'd have a hard time finding a kid this story would work for also. It just has a vocab not really suited for most kids, and I blew through it to be done with it. There were parts I didn't dislike, but I never really enjoyed it.
Lynda
Jan 24, 2016 Lynda rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
I thought I had read this before but I didn't remember it. A very cute dog story by Lowry. I liked the owners the dog went through and his high-level thinking ability! He even becomes a tv commercial star. I liked it a lot.
Shannon
Nov 27, 2010 Shannon rated it liked it
Being a story for children (I needed something easy to read for the half asleep nights to help me fall asleep :) ), I don't feel she should have called Keeper's mother a bitch in the beginning, but whatever... other than that, it was a rather cute story from a dog's point of view.
Taylor Engel
Dec 03, 2013 Taylor Engel rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-4050
I liked this book. It would be great for young children because they could use their imagination. It would be a good book to have in the classroom library.
Jose
Oct 09, 2008 Jose rated it it was amazing
i would recomend this book to people that love animals and have a sence of humor
Chris
Oct 31, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
A dog who creates poetry. A wonderful story. As much as I lobe dogs I find many dog books uninteresting. Read this one in a few hours and loved it.
Sam Hardy
Aug 26, 2016 Sam Hardy rated it it was amazing
This is an easy read, maybe an hour total. It is a feel-good story and a great teaching tool about different walks of life.
Liz
Dec 31, 2016 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Cute story.
Zoe
May 16, 2012 Zoe rated it it was amazing
I remember Stay being stunningly honest, especially for a kids' book.
Julia Hu
Mar 14, 2009 Julia Hu rated it liked it
kool book. not the best though.
Heather S
Sequoyah Nominee: 1999-2000 (Children's)
Reading Counts Reading Level: 5.9
School Library Journal Age Recommendation: Grades 5-8
Catherine
May 07, 2012 Catherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
The dog in this book is so pretentious. The story is okay, but I didn't feel an attachment to any of the characters.
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Anna Ries
Anna Ries rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Alisa Finkel
Alisa Finkel rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Bear Named Trouble
  • The Vanishing (The Last Dogs, #1)
  • The White Assassin (Nightshade Chronicles, #2)
  • Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses from Around the World
  • A Pair of Socks
  • The American Story: 100 True Tales from American History
  • Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (The Rescuers, #4)
  • The Adventures of Marco Polo
  • McDuff Moves In
  • Keeper of the Doves
  • A Taste for Rabbit
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...